Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

2013!! How Was your Commute Today?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

2013!! How Was your Commute Today?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-13, 07:20 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by treadtread
Are you missing gears yet?
Not quite yet! My main commuting route is pretty flat, so 59" works for the speeds I go in the winter. What I really miss are the clean roads that would let me go faster (especially turning) without worrying about losing control.

Ask me again when I'm closer to my 1000 mile goal.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 12-17-13, 06:35 AM
dcb23

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
36F/2C, pretty uneventfull ride in...starting to get used to all the layers and extra clothing when needed.
Old 12-17-13, 07:23 AM
droy45
tougher than a boiled owl

Bikes: Fetish Cycles Fixation / Fuji S12S / Gary Fisher MTB / Raleigh Grand Prix / Ross Professional / Kent comfort cruiser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This is the longest and coldest and snowiest stretch of weather I have seen in these parts in over 5 years. Global Warming, (Only on the polar cap I guess). Anyway, enough complaining, No commuting or riding for now anyway. It is -13degF with a windchill of about -35degF. More snow on the way and maybe a long awaited warm up to the 30's. Might get a ride later this week once this storm passes and the roads get cleared if it warms up a little.
Old 12-17-13, 08:05 AM
spivonious

Bikes: 2012 Trek Allant, 2016 Bianchi Volpe Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Felt very slow yesterday. I think my chain is getting gunked up and needs a good cleaning.

I ended up driving in this morning. My street hadn't been plowed and I didn't want to risk it. Of course, the main roads were completely fine, so I could have ridden. Oh well, there's always tomorrow.
Old 12-17-13, 08:50 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I am amazed at how quickly you can come to rely on something that you didn't think would be useful. Since getting a better headlight, I put some velcro on my old light and slap it on my helmet at night. I'd tried it before with under-powered helmet lights and wasn't impressed, but last night, when the battery got low and it went into power saving blink mode I almost ran over two rabbits and one doe. I've gotten into the habit of spotting them further back with the helmet light. Back to carrying spare batteries after all ...
Old 12-17-13, 09:24 AM
dramiscram
ouate de phoque

Bikes: Bianchi, Nakamura,Opus

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This morning I needed 1h50 min. to complete my commute. At -28° celcius (-19° f) it was way too cold for a 27.4kms commute. I was dressed the same way I dressed last week for a -22°celcius commute, which went fine. But the 6 celcius difference made a big big difference on the road: my legs froze on the bike,I had to stop and walk 6 times to warm up my legs and I was completely drained by the time I got to work and I felt dizzy for 20-30 minutes.
Everything else was warm, even the feet with my battery heated socks were fine but I was very surprise that my legs froze with the fact that I had 3 layers on.
I got my lesson, no commute below -22 or -23°celcius. Fortunately there's no harm done but I got scared a bit.
Tonight I should have a -13°c temp. so It will be like the month of july but earlier...
Old 12-17-13, 09:33 AM
droy45
tougher than a boiled owl

Bikes: Fetish Cycles Fixation / Fuji S12S / Gary Fisher MTB / Raleigh Grand Prix / Ross Professional / Kent comfort cruiser

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dramiscram
This morning I needed 1h50 min. to complete my commute. At -28° celcius (-19° f) it was way too cold for a 27.4kms commute. I was dressed the same way I dressed last week for a -22°celcius commute, which went fine. But the 6 celcius difference made a big big difference on the road: my legs froze on the bike,I had to stop and walk 6 times to warm up my legs and I was completely drained by the time I got to work and I felt dizzy for 20-30 minutes.
Everything else was warm, even the feet with my battery heated socks were fine but I was very surprise that my legs froze with the fact that I had 3 layers on.
I got my lesson, no commute below -22 or -23°celcius. Fortunately there's no harm done but I got scared a bit.
Tonight I should have a -13°c temp. so It will be like the month of july but earlier...
I hear ya. I really do not go below 0F. I'm impressed you even attempted it. I tried that once last winter when it was that cold and I never made it. If I had all my snowmobiling gear on, it would have been fine but I would have looked like an astronaut and wouldn't be able to move very well. My commute is way too long for that.
Old 12-17-13, 09:34 AM
arsprod 

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
23F, and this morning's ride qualifies as one of my worst or at least scariest. I couldn't ride yesterday because the MUP was totally impassable and secondary streets weren't much better. I had to ride today because my wife needed the car (and truthfully I missed it).

While I was assured that the trail had been salted and plowed, I think they used table salt and a rake. I don't know what our cumulative snow totals are but it's over 6". The trail was rutted ice with spots of deep snow. I've ridden mountain trails that were smoother and had more traction! After about 4 miles of that I got off the MUP and hit the street.As spivonious said, interaction with cars was forced because the piles of snow. I was feeling much better riding along on relatively smooth roads until coming down from a small bridge when I hit one of those frozen ridges of ice with the side of my front tire - the front wheel was cocked left and I was going down. I don't know if it was the studs grabbing the ice or divine intervention but I managed to stay upright. It was sphincter factor 10 my friends - and I think the cars behind me got the same.

It's supposed to get over freezing tomorrow afternoon and rain by week's end. Can't come soon enough for me.
Old 12-17-13, 09:46 AM
spivonious

Bikes: 2012 Trek Allant, 2016 Bianchi Volpe Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@dramiscram - you're nuts! I've never had the opportunity to ride in sub-zero (F) temperatures, but I think I'd just give in and take the car.
@arsprod - Glad you avoided the fall. There were spots yesterday where I stayed solidly in the middle of the lane (no snow tires on my bike). It's supposed to be near 60F this weekend, so hopefully these ice piles melt away. I haven't taken the MUP option on my commute since it snowed. I'm not sure if the township clears them or not.
Old 12-17-13, 10:14 AM
CommuteCommando

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
I got drafted by some guy yesterday. I am not bothered by this, and was actually flattered that I'm the one pulling these days.
Old 12-17-13, 11:37 AM
wilfried

Bikes: Brompton M3L, Tern Verge P20, Citi Bike

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
There was a light snow today. I took bike share to work, and it worked out rather nicely. It made me a little nervous, as I haven't ridden much in the snow, and this is the first time this year. The big, heavy, bike share bike with it's big fat tires handled it well. I took it slow and easy (my usual 15 min. ride turned into 20), and it turned out lovely. The fair weather cyclists have gone away, so finding a bike share bike is actually possible, and the scrums in the bike lanes have gone away; it's back to just me and the delivery guys. Bonus: I don't have to clean my bike.

Last edited by wilfried; 12-17-13 at 11:42 AM.
Old 12-17-13, 12:05 PM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
My winter commute seems downright balmy compared to you Northerners. So far, my coldest temps have been in the mid-20s F. We've actually had a colder-than-usual November and December in NC, but I've got nothing to complain about after hearing reports from those to the north.
Old 12-17-13, 01:18 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
... even the feet with my battery heated socks were fine but I was very surprise that my legs froze ... I got my lesson, no commute below -22 or -23°celcius. Fortunately there's no harm done but I got scared a bit. ...
Mental note to self: no riding below -22°C. That's below our all time record low, that you're casually throwing out there ...
Old 12-17-13, 02:01 PM
mstraus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Back on the bike after not being able to ride for almost a week due to client visits. Cold wave ended and in a warm period, was about 50 when I left my house (and for the entire commute) but overcast. Nice not to need all those extra layers today. Felt a bit slow overall today.

I had some people who seemed to have something to prove passing me today. First was on my climb to the golden gate. My normal pace was faster then the bike in front of me, a guy on a 29er MTB. I caught up and then passed him. He seemed to take it personal and picked up his pace, then passed me on the Golden Gate Bridge, where I was going slower due to the speed limit for bikes.

Later in SF, this guy passed me from behind at a red light, but was slower then me so I passed him back, yet he kept trying to work in front of me at every red light, making me slow down or pass him again. If you know you are slower then someone, why move in front of then at a red light??
Old 12-17-13, 02:45 PM
arsprod 

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
I got my lesson, no commute below -22 or -23°celcius.
Ya think?! What heated socks do you use?
Old 12-17-13, 03:06 PM
Gatorfreak

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My coldest commute ever today... 37F. Usually only gets that cold a few times each winter. Not too bad but I just wish I could keep my nose from running.
Old 12-17-13, 03:09 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Pretty nice.

Old 12-17-13, 03:13 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5781 Post(s)
Liked 2,578 Times in 1,429 Posts
Originally Posted by Gatorfreak
.... Not too bad but I just wish I could keep my nose from running.
Yeah, it's really rough when the rest of you is on the bike.

Wrapping a thick knitted muffler over your nose often as an effective hat exchanger, pre-warming the inhaled air and solving the problem.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 12-17-13, 03:17 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by mstraus
Later in SF, this guy passed me from behind at a red light, but was slower then me so I passed him back, yet he kept trying to work in front of me at every red light, making me slow down or pass him again. If you know you are slower then someone, why move in front of then at a red light??
It's called "shoaling."

https://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/2009...y-bicycle.html
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 12-17-13, 03:41 PM
Greg M

Bikes: 13 salsa vaya, 90 klein pinnacle 01 lemond poprad, 98 klein quantum race, 91 trek 1100

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
25f and light snow going in this morning with a tailwind for a change. Very enjoyable with traffic on the light side. Trip home was 33 with a freezing rain and drizzle with fairly heavy traffic. Considering the weather not too bad. Today was the first day with the snow tires, schwalbe marathon winters 700 x 35. Slowed my avg. speed by 1-2 mph and a noticable difference in acceleration from traffic lights. But very relaxed with no real concern with sliding.
Old 12-17-13, 04:09 PM
tsurr

Bikes: Trek Madone, Trek 6700, Gary Fisher Hyb.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Gatorfreak
My coldest commute ever today... 37F. Usually only gets that cold a few times each winter. Not too bad but I just wish I could keep my nose from running.
not a lot od col weather in Knoxville, we had 55 degrees today with sun and wind,15-20mph. When it gets cold here I go to Fla for a couple of weeks. Nice being retired.
Old 12-17-13, 04:55 PM
dramiscram
ouate de phoque

Bikes: Bianchi, Nakamura,Opus

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by arsprod
Ya think?! What heated socks do you use?
I got the cheapest possible socks on eBay (30$ shipping included). They were too tight and made from cotton (80% cotton)and the heating element was too weak to overcome the ''cotton factor''. But I removed the elements, put them between 2 layers of aluminum duct tape and put them between a pair of thin syntetic sock a big pair of wool socks so my feet are really warm.
The part that completely froze is the front of my thighs and my left buttock.
Old 12-17-13, 05:34 PM
mstraus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Wow, that link just made my day. Like the other description referenced in this as well
https://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/2009...icycle_12.html

Part of me wants to print this out and give it to anyone who "shoals" me when I pass them back (if I pass them back).
Old 12-17-13, 09:14 PM
Gezman

Bikes: 1976 Nishiki International

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Today was warm ...ish wind was blowing at 15 mph . Rode around 12 miles to the local library ... It was nice
Old 12-17-13, 10:37 PM
Mr. Hairy Legs
Super-spreader

Bikes: shiny red tricycle

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 97 Posts
Pretty warm today, well above freezing. Looking forward to the end of January when there are still traces of daylight when I leave the office.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.