Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Knocked over by wind from passing traffic?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Knocked over by wind from passing traffic?

Old 05-19-16, 10:47 PM
GP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jefnvk
Just out of curiosity, where is everyone riding that you have vehicles at 70-80MPH? Is this an out west thing?

Fastest anything can legally (well, both parties acting in a legal manner anyhow) pass a bike here is 55. Maybe it'd be different with a truck at 80.
There is an 8 mile stretch of Interstate 5 through Camp Pendleton Marine Corps Base north of San Diego that gets a decent amount of cyclists. Usually it's because the base is closed to cyclists, the cyclists aren't registered or they don't have ID or a helmet.

The wind from the vehicles make cycling on the freeway faster than riding on base.

Old 05-19-16, 10:58 PM
raceboy

Bikes: One of each: Road, Hybrid, Trekking

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 53 Posts
I had the opposite thing happen while riding in my first century. I was riding in a big pack. We were all leaning into a 20 mph or so crosswind. A 9-pass van passed by and stopped the crosswind for a second. One guy's bike swerved towards the van. He reached out with his hand and touched the moving van and went down, setting off a chain reaction of falling cyclists. I was lucky and made it through but it was the two-wheeled version of "The Big One" at a Daytona or Talladega 500.
Old 05-19-16, 11:55 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Yes, it's very real and there are two processes involved.

BTW - besides the wind, there's also the psychological effects of close passes.
Interesting physics lesson! And yes, I certainly believe that the psychological/panic/overcorrect/operator error from that gust is very real, and probably the culprit of most of the accidents.

Originally Posted by StanSeven
Trucks will go as fast as conditions allow. If they are sure police aren't around, they do 70-80 all the time.
They're well behaved in Michigan, so well behaved we very often have the joy of following one at 60MPH passing another running about 59.5MPH on the interstate.
Old 05-20-16, 06:55 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
There's a section of road I go on ever once in a while that also has a fair amount of tanker trucks. Most are courteous but a few pass very close at 55 - 60 mph. I'd say the most sensation I've felt is some buffeting but nothing like I was going to be blown over.
Old 05-20-16, 07:16 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
With tractor-trailers passing me close on a motorcycle the suction was very disconcerting. There's something about seeing those huge wheels, at high speed, while you're pulled towards them ... You also have to be ready for the turbulence shortly after the rear end gets past.

On a bicycle I don't recall being next to one for that long, nor that closely. But a long stream of cars moving fast can feel similar.
Old 05-20-16, 08:01 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Of note: Seen European heavy goods hauling trailers have a skirt between tractor rearmost wheel and the rear wheels of the trailer.

American trucks dont , though some are adding fairings, though for their fuel economy, not smaller road users safety..

likewise a safety shield on the Euro front wheel to keep spinning lug nuts covered , American truckers add spikes over the lug nuts
Old 05-20-16, 08:39 AM
gecho

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts
The only time passing vehicles cause problems for me is when there is a strong cross wind from the left (traffic side). A strong cross wind requires me to lean sideways against the wind. When a large vehicle passes (cars are less of a problem) the wind momentarily disappears. Its like you were leaning against a wall then it suddenly disappeared. If you don't immediately stop leaning you will veer to the left (a mirror helps spot when it is necessary to do this). But as soon as the vehicle passes you get hit by a wall of wind shoving you to the right. Its the second part that is most problematic for me as it can push me completely off the shoulder with the wind is over 60 km/h.

When its not windy passing semis give me a little speed boost. Tankers seem to be the best for that effect. Trailers with side shields are barely noticeable. On non-divided highways hitting the wall of air from an oncoming semi can be unpleasant, but just slows me down.
Old 05-20-16, 08:51 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by GP
There is an 8 mile stretch of Interstate 5 through Camp Pendleton Marine Corps Base north of San Diego that gets a decent amount of cyclists.
I'm surprised that bicycles are allowed on an interstate.
Old 05-20-16, 10:03 AM
FenderTL5

Bikes: Trek 7.3FX, Diamondback Edgewood hybrid, KHS Montana

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had the wind from passing vehicles move my mirrors around.

Windy spring days in 'Skyscraper Canyon' (between the tall buildings) downtown can be an adventure.
Old 05-20-16, 10:06 AM
16 Tons

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've only ever had the feeling of being sucked in to a larger vehicle. Never blown over.
Old 05-20-16, 10:26 AM
prathmann

Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
Bicycles are allowed on the shoulder of many western interstates. In some cases (such as the mentioned section of I-5 through Pendleton) it's the only reasonable public route. But we also had a ride on the 300-mile section of I-5 from just outside Tracy (SF area) down to Santa Clarita (LA area) a few years ago and that whole stretch was bike legal despite plenty of alternate options. New Jersey also allows bicyclists on many of its freeways and toll roads if you apply for a permit from the State Bike/Ped coordinator.
Old 05-20-16, 11:22 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Add a crosswind to that semi truck and a deep dish wheelset to your bike and it could really be awful
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 05-21-16, 07:11 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
As a bent rider, I have both a LWB bent and a trike. In high winds I always take the trike. More aero, and I dont get blown around much which makes it far safer, especially if the wind is blowing me toward traffic.

BTW here in Nebr March winds easily exceed 40 mph with gusts much higher.

Last edited by rydabent; 05-22-16 at 05:38 PM.
Old 05-21-16, 12:44 PM
SouthFLpix

Bikes: 2007 Giant Cypress DX, Windsor Tourist 2011

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Try riding on the highway with 18 wheel trucks or buses passing you. The wind can put you down. If you just ride in the city you may not be familiar with that type situation, but it's a real phenomena.
Old 05-21-16, 09:31 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by prathmann
Bicycles are allowed on the shoulder of many western interstates.
OK. It's just that on a lot of interstates & other freeways I've seen signs which state no bicycles or pedestrians allowed.
Old 05-22-16, 12:26 AM
Nermal

Bikes: Giant Cypress SX

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Last time I was through Arizona, they were allowed. That's been a few years.
Old 05-22-16, 06:17 AM
5kdad

Bikes: Felt Z100 road bike, Schwinn Frontier, Salsa Marrakesh, box-store tandem, and Sun Recumbent trike.

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I was cycling across Oklahoma a couple years ago, with the Oklahoma Freewheel group. One group of cyclists were meeting an on-coming string of traffic, when one driver in a pickup truck decided to pass as he was meeting the cyclists. Whether he didn't see the cyclists or didn't care, no one knows. Of course, they immediately pulled off the road and stopped to avoid a head-on collision (there was no shoulder to ride on). As the pickup flew by, the wind from his vehicle knocked a lady and her bike over, and she tumbled down a short embankment. She was a little shaken up, but was able to resume riding.
Old 05-22-16, 07:44 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I-80 in the Sierras, Blue Canyon to Nyack, I believe. It's the only paved through pass.
Old 05-22-16, 09:31 AM
SouthFLpix

Bikes: 2007 Giant Cypress DX, Windsor Tourist 2011

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
OK. It's just that on a lot of interstates & other freeways I've seen signs which state no bicycles or pedestrians allowed.
If no interstate highways allowed bicycles, how would you tour across the country?
Old 05-22-16, 09:49 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 2,167 Times in 1,459 Posts
Originally Posted by SouthFLpix
If no interstate highways allowed bicycles, how would you tour across the country?
People are talking about federally funded roads part of the national interstate highway system. They are designation with an "I" prefix and a number like I-80. They are different from ruler roads like route 40 which goes across states.
Old 05-22-16, 05:42 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
There are several stretches of the interstate highways that bikes are allowed on. Most are in the west and southwest where there are no other highways to get from on place to another. These stretches of interstate replaced the two lane highways, so the interstate is the only way to get somewhere.
Old 05-22-16, 06:38 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I can't trust a news agency that doesn't know the difference between light and lite.

You have to keep in mind that the cyclists operate carbon fiber bikes. These bikes are extremely lite and when a vehicle passes there is a gust of wind that follows. Depending on the size of the vehicle and the draft, it may be enough wind to knock the cyclist of his or her bike.
Maybe they are talking about low calorie bicycles.
Old 06-01-16, 09:48 PM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Seems possible, but unlikely, and would have more to do with the bike handling skills of the rider than the frame material.
This; I commute daily on my 7100, including about a mile and a half on 75mph highway. I've had 18 wheelers right on the fog line getting ready to turn at a road that comes off at a ~20 degree angle, and never felt like the wind would knock me over. If anything, it was handy as the right part of their draft is a brief heavy tailwind.
Old 06-01-16, 09:58 PM
prathmann

Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by KD5NRH
If anything, it was handy as the right part of their draft is a brief heavy tailwind.
Yes, I remember a couple of us on a ride where we were on a freeway for about 40 miles and getting tired. We really appreciated the extra push from every truck that came by close enough, but noticed that most of the trucks would pull way over into the passing lane. So we adopted the strategy of moving to the rightmost edge of the shoulder when we'd see/hear an approaching truck to encourage the driver to stay in the right lane. Then as soon as the front bumper would reach us we'd move to the left and into his draft.
Old 06-02-16, 08:07 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,192 Times in 2,352 Posts
Originally Posted by GerryinHouston
What keeps you upright is the resistance to change of the angular momentum of the wheels. The heavier the wheels (as in steel bikes) the more angular momentum and the more resistance to change.

Steel is real!...
The wheels on steel bikes usually aren't steel so they aren't going to add anything to the angular momentum. The frame is going to add some mass but that's not going to have much effect because, as you say, it is the angular momentum that is important.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.