Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Project Peugeot Mont Blanc

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-19, 01:29 PM
MarcoBianchi

Bikes: Peugeot Mont Blanc . Bianchi 28c 1980. Coppi Giro di Lombardia. Vitoria Vintage 1990. Orbea Luarca 1977. Trek 950.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

I just paid 40€ for this beautiful bike .
Longtime looking for something like this, lots of room for tires, fenderable and with the addition of an exotic grupo.
Paint and decals are in good condition. Rear wheel is a shame.
My only concerns are some rusty points under BB and the odds standards of my Northern Neighbors.
I begin disassembly tomorrow, lots of fun!
Likes For MarcoBianchi:
Old 04-01-19, 01:43 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Liked 829 Times in 538 Posts
40 Euros very well spent.
it's not a high end model, but like pretty much all Peugeots, because of their very well designed geometry, it should ride very nicely if serviced and adjusted properly.
plus the materials and construction on that frame is, as they say, "bulletproof".
Old 04-01-19, 01:48 PM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 825 Post(s)
Liked 212 Times in 96 Posts
Nice find! What is wrong with the rear wheel?
Old 04-01-19, 02:54 PM
MarcoBianchi

Bikes: Peugeot Mont Blanc . Bianchi 28c 1980. Coppi Giro di Lombardia. Vitoria Vintage 1990. Orbea Luarca 1977. Trek 950.

Originally Posted by Chombi1
40 Euros very well spent.
it's not a high end model, but like pretty much all Peugeots, because of their very well designed geometry, it should ride very nicely if serviced and adjusted properly.
plus the materials and construction on that frame is, as they say, "bulletproof".
Absolutely! I know it's not a high level bike and bulletproof, that's the plan, commuting, light gravel and some rando , it's even suitable for Classic meetings.
Old 04-01-19, 03:11 PM
MarcoBianchi

Originally Posted by Aubergine
Nice find! What is wrong with the rear wheel?
Rim has a severe dent on NDS, I don't know how the previous owner mounted the axle cause the wheel doesn't spin.
This is part of the fun, I can't stop thinking I paid the price you pay in Spain for a pair of wheels, one rusty groupo or a raw frame.
Thank you all for your interest.!
Old 04-03-19, 04:10 PM
MarcoBianchi

Really good news, it's BSA thread and I think it's the cleanest BB that I have disassembled in this century.

Cleaning and lubing derailleurs I'll switch some nuts and bolts.

My only concern was that chainstay bridge with some rusty spots, after papersanding I can't see any problem there.
Likes For MarcoBianchi:
Old 01-28-20, 04:54 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcoBianchi
Thank you all for your interest.!
Any update on this bike? How do the project go?

I had a Mont Blanc as one of my first ever road bikes. Long story short, the frame is hanging up in my parents’ garage these many years, and I’m considering it for a special project. I’d love to see what you did with this one.
Old 01-28-20, 04:58 PM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
A great lesson for future designers on what color not to make your bicycle components if you have longevity in mind.
Old 01-28-20, 06:05 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Originally Posted by TenGrainBread
A great lesson for future designers on what color not to make your bicycle components if you have longevity in mind.
not so much the particular colour, but any painted finish on components is going to take a beating. That crank would look just as torn-up if it was red, blue, black, whatever.

The brakes appear to be fine, though.
Old 01-28-20, 06:05 PM
MarcoBianchi

Originally Posted by Leinster
Any update on this bike? How do the project go?

I had a Mont Blanc as one of my first ever road bikes. Long story short, the frame is hanging up in my parents’ garage these many years, and I’m considering it for a special project. I’d love to see what you did with this one.
HI everyone! I've been a long time without posting. I've spent all my time on family duties and swapping my BMW Rt clutch

Somehow she is family too
Likes For MarcoBianchi:
Old 01-28-20, 06:33 PM
MarcoBianchi

Anyway when I bought my Mont Blanc I was looking for a patrol mate, not for the love of my live. She is solid, comfy ( I'm running with 700x28 Gravelking) and swapping the original 42/52 with a cheap Stronlight 34/48 I can ride almost everything around home without changing the original 14/24.
She admits fender and some kind of rack so she is now my training road bike and my second commuter behind my Trek singletrack.
Sachs grupo works flawless and matches with some Shimano 6s parts I own but as said above painted components aren't my cup of tea, I've spent more money on white nail polish than on tubes.
Nice frame, do that project. I'll show mine with some pictures later, now I'm on my night shift and the bike is in my garage.
Excuse me I'm a lazy poster!
Likes For MarcoBianchi:
Old 01-29-20, 02:35 AM
Leinster

Originally Posted by MarcoBianchi
Anyway when I bought my Mont Blanc I was looking for a patrol mate, not for the love of my live. She is solid, comfy ( I'm running with 700x28 Gravelking) and swapping the original 42/52 with a cheap Stronlight 34/48 I can ride almost everything around home without changing the original 14/24.
She admits fender and some kind of rack so she is now my training road bike and my second commuter behind my Trek singletrack.
Sachs grupo works flawless and matches with some Shimano 6s parts I own but as said above painted components aren't my cup of tea, I've spent more money on white nail polish than on tubes.
Nice frame, do that project. I'll show mine with some pictures later, now I'm on my night shift and the bike is in my garage.
Excuse me I'm a lazy poster!
Great to hear the Sachs parts still work great. Are you still using the same brakes? I remember mine being awful, seriously spongey.

I'm not sure what direction I'll go with the build; if I'll bring parts from here when I go and visit, or try and cobble something together there. Can't wait to see your photos!
Old 01-30-20, 11:46 AM
MarcoBianchi

I hope I don't disappoint your expectations! This is not an unicorn, just as said above " a patrol mate".
Sachs parts are working and I must say that they work better than I expected.
Brakes are CLB, a little tricky to adjust them, I dislike the quick release cause sometimes it releases with the slightest rubbing but they brake.
The saddle is in the thin line between an old glory and an old crap, considering this bike spents some time locked on the strret, I'm not in a hurry looking for replacement. I post some pics soon.
Old 01-30-20, 01:04 PM
MarcoBianchi

Not the best part of the bike.

French bars and stem, excuse me I forgot to remove the light.

This is my knee saver 34/48, flat pedals cause now she is in street mode.

CLB brakes and levers, not my favorite combo but they work.
Likes For MarcoBianchi: