Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Shimano Di2 chargers

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Shimano Di2 chargers

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-20, 09:04 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
Pretty simple to me, can the bike operate without the charger? No. Then it should be included.
Um, you do realize that the charger gets left at home when riding the bike, right? And that you can own ten Di2 bikes and still only need one charger?
Old 02-14-20, 09:09 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4736 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
You're making a normative judgment (as evidenced by the word "should") and offering absolutely no justification. So let me make it simpler for you: I already own a Di2 charger. If I buy another Di2 bike (new or used) and the charger is automatically included, then I am paying more money than I need to, given that I only need one charger and already own one. So, in this scenario, I am better off if the charger is NOT included. So why SHOULD it be included?
For the same reason that your other bike also has a saddle, wheels and myriad other parts that come with a bike when sold as a complete bike?
Old 02-14-20, 09:10 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
It's not hypothetical for anyone who owns (or is contemplating ownership of) two Di2 bikes - like me.

You haven't addressed my point because you are unable to refute it.
You're not making a salient point, dude. That a small subset of users wouldn't benefit from the inclusion of an otherwise necessary component doesn't mean that it's no longer a necessary component.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 02-14-20, 09:17 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
It's not hypothetical for anyone who owns (or is contemplating ownership of) two Di2 bikes - like me.

Take it up with Shimano. They include one with every Di2 bike/groupset. It's not an option.
Old 02-14-20, 09:22 AM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by WhyFi
You're not making a salient point, dude. That a small subset of users wouldn't benefit from the inclusion of an otherwise necessary component doesn't mean that it's no longer a necessary component.
Can you imagine the outrage of a 1st time Di2 user, finding out that he has to buy a charger just to use his new bike?

Some people still complain that bikes are sold without pedals.
Old 02-14-20, 09:32 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
For the same reason that your other bike also has a saddle, wheels and myriad other parts that come with a bike when sold as a complete bike?
This is a nonsensical comparison.

If I buy a second bike, it is indeed useful to for it to come with a saddle, two wheels, etc.

If I buy a second Di2 bike, I have no need for a second Di2 charger.

It's as simple as that.

Last edited by Koyote; 02-14-20 at 09:37 AM.
Old 02-14-20, 09:33 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 1,181 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
Take it up with Shimano. They include one with every Di2 bike/groupset. It's not an option.
Lets clarify this. They might include it with the bike when it has a Di2 component set. It’s a separate item to purchase when buying a stand-alone group.
Old 02-14-20, 09:36 AM
Koyote

Can you imagine the outrage of a 1st time Di2 user, finding out that he has to buy a charger just to use his new bike?

Some people still complain that bikes are sold without pedals.
My Di2 bike was a custom build, and I did indeed pay a separate charge for the charger. I was not outraged.

Some shops (IRL and online) are now doing the same for groupsets - the charger is an option.

If I already have a charger, I have no need for a second one.

Last edited by Siu Blue Wind; 02-14-20 at 05:40 PM.
Old 02-14-20, 09:40 AM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by Steve B.
Lets clarify this. They might include it with the bike when it has a Di2 component set. It’s a separate item to purchase when buying a stand-alone group.
I've sold dozens of Di2 groupsets(purchased directly from Shimano) and they all include a charger.

a quick search of a few retailers that offer Di2 groupsets shows that they come with a charger as well.

https://www.coloradocyclist.com/shim...SABEgLhUfD_BwE

https://www.merlincycles.com/en-us/s...et-104917.html

https://www.bikebling.com/Shimano-Ul...shoppingengine
Old 02-14-20, 09:46 AM
noodle soup

My Di2 bike was a custom build, and I did indeed pay a separate charge for the charger. I was not outraged.
Nice anecdote. You win.
Old 02-14-20, 09:59 AM
WhyFi

If I buy a second Di2 bike, I have no need for a second Di2 charger.

It's as simple as that.
...unless it's a bike that's stored in a different location at home, or at the office, or at the second home, etc, etc.

Speaking of the pot calling the kettle black, you haven't addressed my point because you are unable to refute it.

That a small subset of users might not benefit from the inclusion of an otherwise necessary component doesn't mean that it's no longer a necessary component.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 02-14-20, 10:11 AM
noodle soup

...unless it's a bike that's stored in a different location at home, or at the office, or at the second home, etc, etc.

Speaking of the pot calling the kettle black, you haven't addressed my point because you are unable to refute it.
His shop probably sold him the included charger(so they could get some beer money) because they figured he didn't know any better.
Old 02-14-20, 10:11 AM
Koyote

...unless it's a bike that's stored in a different location at home, or at the office, or at the second home, etc, etc.Speaking of the pot calling the kettle black, you haven't addressed my point because you are unable to refute it.
I refer you to post #17 , which addresses your point and also noodle soup's points. I'm guessing that neither of you have taken the time to read it carefully, since neither of you have directly responded to it.

Some of you are arguing your opinions (every Di2 groupset/bike should include a charger), to which you are entitled -- opinions are neither provable nor disprovable. I'm not arguing with your opinions. I'm offering a logical argument. And so we are not really talking the same language.
Old 02-14-20, 10:19 AM
noodle soup

Some of you are arguing your opinions (every Di2 groupset/bike should include a charger),
I'm arguing that chargers are included with new bike/groupset purchases(FACT), and you are arguing that they shouldn't be included(your opinion).
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 02-14-20, 10:30 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Um, you do realize that the charger gets left at home when riding the bike, right? And that you can own ten Di2 bikes and still only need one charger?
Yes, but as an operating unit, a di2 equipped bike will not function without a charger.

My di2 bike (which hopefully will be ready today!!) is a custom build, and it's coming with a charger. Even if it weren't my first di2 bike, I would expect it to come with a charger.

Now if a shop, or online retailer wants to offer a discount for excluding the charger from a groupset, I could see that as an option, but by default it should always come with a charger.
Likes For Rides4Beer:
Old 02-14-20, 10:34 AM
Koyote

Now if a shop, or online retailer wants to offer a discount for excluding the charger from a groupset, I could see that as an option, but by default it should always come with a charger.
Then if you do choose to get the charger, you are paying for it by forgoing the discount.

So, please answer this directly: If you buy a second Di2 bike, would you prefer to pay for a second charger, or would you prefer to save the money and skip it, since you will already have a charger?

Last edited by Koyote; 02-14-20 at 10:42 AM.
Old 02-14-20, 10:40 AM
WhyFi

Some of you are arguing your opinions (every Di2 groupset/bike should include a charger), to which you are entitled -- opinions are neither provable nor disprovable. I'm not arguing with your opinions.
Incorrect. Most are arguing that new bikes *do* include chargers, not that they should. That your custom builder bilked you for a charger, for whatever reason, doesn't mean that a charger isn't standard for the vast majority of bikes being sold with Di2.

I refer you to post #17 , which addresses your point and also noodle soup's points. I'm guessing that neither of you have taken the time to read it carefully, since neither of you have directly responded to it.
I'm offering a logical argument. And so we are not really talking the same language.
No, you're not offering a logical argument.

Sure, the cost of an included charger is factored in to the price of the bike. Sure, in theory, the price of the bike could be a little lower if it weren't include, but let's not pretend that production costs actually correlate with the a la carte price. The cost of a bike sans charger would absolutely not be $90-100 lower. The only reason that the a la carte price is that high is because Shimano know that they've got that user over a barrel. Second, you have to look at customer perception, which noodle soup has already brought up. Someone buying a high-spec bike is *not* going to be amused if they need to pay another $100 on top of the already lofty price of the bike.

As far as your Post #17 prediction... no. Let's look at cell phones, which are ubiquitous in a way that Di2 never, ever will be. Is an included charger the norm? Of course it it.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 02-14-20, 11:08 AM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts

1. Bike can't operate without it.
2. It would probably cost you more buying it separate than bundled with the bike. There is probably no savings at all.
3. So you have a spare
Old 02-14-20, 11:18 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 1,181 Posts
I've sold dozens of Di2 groupsets(purchased directly from Shimano) and they all include a charger.

a quick search of a few retailers that offer Di2 groupsets shows that they come with a charger as well.

https://www.coloradocyclist.com/shim...SABEgLhUfD_BwE

https://www.merlincycles.com/en-us/s...et-104917.html

https://www.bikebling.com/Shimano-Ul...shoppingengine
You could likely find an equal number of vendors that allow it to be added as an option

https://www.texascyclesport.com/shim...ed-time-offer/

And as it should be.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 02-14-20, 11:33 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Then if you do choose to get the charger, you are paying for it by forgoing the discount.

So, please answer this directly: If you buy a second Di2 bike, would you prefer to pay for a second charger, or would you prefer to save the money and skip it, since you will already have a charger?
Yes, it's part of the groupset, like any other part, of course you're paying for it. Just like if there is an option to buy a groupset without a crank, it will cost less.

I would prefer that it come with the charger, then in the event I should want to sell the bike, the charger would go with it.

I have multiple devices at home that theoretically could use the same charger, I still want each one to come with it's own charger, and they do.
Likes For Rides4Beer:
Old 02-14-20, 12:11 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts

How much does it cost to buy a complete DA group? How much does it cost to buy each of those parts individually? When the charger is bundled with the group it's part of, it's a fraction of what it costs standalone at full retail. Di2 bikes do come with chargers, you might be able to work out a deal with the shop to trade it for a roll of bar tape though.

Of course there's value in having a spare. I just moved, I'm still not sure which box the charger is in. Sometimes I take my bike on trips, I'd keep a second charger in the car or a travel bag just to make sure I never go off into the boonies and wind up insane to shift.

What really pisses me off is that bikes come with saddles and seat posts. Do you know how easy it is to move those between bikes? Nobody with two bikes needs two saddles. We're all passing for something that nobody benefits from.
Old 02-14-20, 12:13 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by Steve B.
You could likely find an equal number of vendors that allow it to be added as an option

https://www.texascyclesport.com/shim...ed-time-offer/

And as it should be.
I just searched “Di2 Groupset” and these were the first 3 vendors to come up.

If you don’t want the charger included with new bike/groupset purchases, tell Shimano.
Old 02-14-20, 12:15 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I have multiple devices at home that theoretically could use the same charger, I still want each one to come with it's own charger, and they do.
My god, you're right! My phone, Bluetooth speaker, and lights all use the same charging cable, but they each came with one. Obviously Big Charger is strong arming Samsung, Garmin, and all the rest of them. This is terrible!
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 02-14-20, 12:41 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 551 Posts
The charger probably costs Shimano a few bucks. Including it all the time makes more sense than selling/stocking groupsets with and without.
Likes For Ogsarg:
Old 02-14-20, 01:11 PM
bykemike 

Bikes: 2017 BMC Roadmachine 01 Enve wheels, Sram red etap,Cinelli Vigorelli single speed, 2009 Cannondale Capo, 2016 trek Domane 6.9, disc and Di2, 2016 Scott Scale 710, 27.5 plus tires and boost rims

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 81 Posts
It must be winter.

I bought this bike from a shop and I would expect it was traded without the charger. I believe the shop did me a good turn selling me a new charger and cord at 1/2 price...I'm happy, don't bust my bubble

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.