Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Partially Ruptured T34 Thoracic Disc

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Partially Ruptured T34 Thoracic Disc

Old 02-15-20, 10:00 AM
ashongut

Bikes: 2011 Jamis Ventura Race

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ups
I don't want to sound critical because you are having a tough time. So I will try to lay it out softly.

First thing is set an appointment with a psychologist. Why? You seem to have some addictive characteristics to your behavior. Meaning if you keep doing something despite increasing negative consequences, you are intentionally harming yourself. Either you dont realize it, or can't stop it. But taking to something and immediately immersing to an obsessive level is a sign something may be driving you.

Secondly, take a look a look at what you get out of your high mileage and road riding persona. Whatever you get from it is more important than your health and pain free life. Whatever you are suppressing is at least as, if not more painful than the harm you are causing yourself.

Third, yes try a new bike. Flat bar road, touring, endurance etc. Something that doesn't cause you to bend your neck for so many hours. If you can't fathom riding one of those styles, refer to point 1.

Last, find a PT who rides and ask them to do a long ride or two with you. If the exercises make you feel better and riding makes it worse, there may be something around your technique which is causing the pressure and pain.

Good luck.
I bought my first (and only) road bike in August 2017. I brought my bike to college and used it as something to do in my free time and quickly fell in love with it. It gave me something to do, set some goals for my self, and I gained so much confidence from it. I do have a personality where I have a one track mind. Basically from the time I bought my bike until I injured my disc, all I thought about doing in my free time was riding. I saw 3 orthopedist to diagnose the issue. All agreed that it is ok to still ride. Keep in mind I have GREATLY decreased my mileage. In 2019 I only rode about 1600 miles. I am limiting my mileage to 20-30 miles, so I don't really feel like I'm hurting myself. Someday's my back feels worse than others. I still enjoy it but would like to go back to longer rides. I'm keeping up with PT exercises for now to accomplish that goal.
Old 02-15-20, 01:38 PM
ashongut

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
I've posted this before but I'm feeling really lucky reading all this. About 6 yrs. ago I broke my neck in a crash. Put my teeth (chipped) through my lip, several vertebrae fractured but the big one required a fusion of C1 & C2. It happened on July 24th and I was back on the bike in November. And, I am riding really well. No discomfort but I am using an Italian Road Bike mirror since my ROM is compromised. As I said, I'm feeling really lucky.
Glad you are back on the bike and recovered well I am originally from Central CT.
Old 02-15-20, 07:12 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
Originally Posted by ashongut
Glad you are back on the bike and recovered well I am originally from Central CT.
That's interesting. I am originally from Hackensack with weekends with my dad on Genesee Ave. in Teaneck.
Old 02-15-20, 08:52 PM
ashongut

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
That's interesting. I am originally from Hackensack with weekends with my dad on Genesee Ave. in Teaneck.
Wow. I moved here a year ago and joined the BTCNJ bike group. I liked the variety of rides they had. They ride a lot all year round. I just got annoyed with being uncomfortable. Most of the miles I did in 2018 was over the course of many bike shop rides in central ct.
Old 02-15-20, 09:08 PM
BengalCat

Bikes: 50/34, 11-40, 11 Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by ashongut
Turns out I ruptured my t34 disc. I actually did 2-3 months of pt back in December 2018 to help strengthen my back with slight improvements, nothing major though. The doctor says I can still bike. Anyways I really don't want to give up on cycling. So, if anyone ruptured an upper spine disc let me know what you did for a full recovery. I want to be able to go on long 100 + mi adventure rides again so badly. Right now I start having back/neck pain 20 mi pin. It sucks. Thanks.
It is highly likely that if you otherwise fit and healthy and continue both an active lifestyle including continuing cycling that along with rehab exercises your body will totally adapt. Eventually, it will probably give you little to no problems. It could be months or even a couple of years. Part of the rehab down the line when you are more stable physically a slight change in fit will further enhance the diminishing of pain or negative symptoms. (Although at times as the years past during that period you might do something that will cause a temporary or acute flareup from which you will after a short period recover from. That cycle may happen more than once.
Old 02-15-20, 09:37 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Recent studies indicate gabapentin has little or no use in back pain or most injury related pain.

It had zero effect on my pain from injuries to my back, neck and shoulder; and zero effect on my headaches (variously diagnosed as migraine, cluster, trigeminal neuralgia and "I dunno").

Rumors and myths about the efficacy of gabapentin persist for a couple of reasons: (1) pharma reps engaged in unethical practices to encourage doctors to prescribe gabapentin for ... anything and everything; (2) under threat of being disciplined for prescribing opiates or muscle relaxers, many doctors, NPs and PAs would authorize only gabapentin rather than hydrocodone or Tramadol, both considered low risk, low potency analgesics before the recent anti-opiate hysteria and propaganda.

There's some evidence that gabapentin helps some patients with neuropathy. My mom had residual pain from a late life bout with shingles, and gabapentin did help her with that. It did absolutely nothing for her chronic pain from multiple injuries and surgeries for back, shoulder and knee pain.

And I heard one patient who claimed to have fibromyalgia say gabapentin helped her. But some medical professionals still don't consider fibromyalgia to be a real thing, or at most an incorrect diagnosis for other real diseases. I have no opinion on whether fibromyalgia is real, but in my case my similar symptoms turned out to be due to Hashimoto's, an auto-immune disease that eventually killed my thyroid. The symptoms were virtually identical to those claimed for fibromyalgia. So I wonder how many people out there who think they have fibromyalgia actually have misdiagnosed serious diseases that aren't being treated properly because they lack access to competent medical care. In my experience, many medical professionals tend to disregard generalized complaints of pain, lethargy, malaise, etc., that don't present with obvious symptoms that can easily be diagnosed. Particularly for Medicaid/Medicare patients who live in areas without access to a broader choice of health care systems.

Some folks do report some relief from anxiety, but you can get the same benefit from non-prescription GABA, an amino acid supplement. I take it some nights before bed and it helps, pretty comparable to a low dose of melatonin. But it ain't for pain.

While gabapentin and GABA are loosely related, they aren't the same thing and studies show gabapentin doesn't bind to GABA receptors. I'm sure gabapentin has been effective and satisfactory for some patients with certain ailments, but it's not the do-everything wonderdrug claimed by pharma and some doctors.
My understanding - correct me if I'm wrong - is it's for nerve pain. I know when discs go they often impinge nerves. I agree that no medicine is good for everything. But it sounds like this could be a time when it might help.

Ironically though my vet gave me some to help get my cat through the 4th of July. He put up the fight of his life when I gave it to him, it was much more traumatic being pilled than the fireworks ever were.
Old 02-16-20, 12:03 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
My understanding - correct me if I'm wrong - is it's for nerve pain. I know when discs go they often impinge nerves. I agree that no medicine is good for everything. But it sounds like this could be a time when it might help.

Ironically though my vet gave me some to help get my cat through the 4th of July. He put up the fight of his life when I gave it to him, it was much more traumatic being pilled than the fireworks ever were.
Gabapentin seems to be more effective for neuropathy caused by disease -- shingles, diabetes, etc. -- rather than physical damage.

Ask three different neurologists and get five different answers. That was pretty much my mom's experience over the years.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 02-19-20, 11:07 AM
ashongut

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BengalCat
It is highly likely that if you otherwise fit and healthy and continue both an active lifestyle including continuing cycling that along with rehab exercises your body will totally adapt. Eventually, it will probably give you little to no problems. It could be months or even a couple of years. Part of the rehab down the line when you are more stable physically a slight change in fit will further enhance the diminishing of pain or negative symptoms. (Although at times as the years past during that period you might do something that will cause a temporary or acute flareup from which you will after a short period recover from. That cycle may happen more than once.
Nice I hope so. It's already been about 1.5 years but I'll keep up with the PT exercises since they seem to be helping make my back and neck stronger.
Old 02-19-20, 11:11 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 448 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
The thing you should take into account is that I ride more than most people. In the past 8 years, I've ridden over 100k miles, and probably well over 300k miles in my lifetime. If you put yourself at risk that often, an accident with a motorist is probably likely to occur eventually.
8 years, 100k miles.. that's average 34+ miles a day, every single day...
at least 1.5 hours on the bike every single day if you average 20 mph..
2+ hours if you average 17 mph.
300k miles at 20 mph average speed, that's 15000 hours of saddle time.
300k miles at 17 mph average speed, that's 17647 hours of saddle time.
Seems rather suspicious.
Likes For cat0020:
Old 02-19-20, 11:59 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by cat0020
8 years, 100k miles.. that's average 34+ miles a day, every single day...
at least 1.5 hours on the bike every single day if you average 20 mph..
2+ hours if you average 17 mph.
300k miles at 20 mph average speed, that's 15000 hours of saddle time.
300k miles at 17 mph average speed, that's 17647 hours of saddle time.
Seems rather suspicious.
12-14k miles per year. You do the math
Old 02-19-20, 12:15 PM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

That's not what you said initially.

14k miles in a year, that's over 38 miles per day every single day.
Just about 2 hours of saddle time every single day, 365 days at 20 mph average.
Likes For cat0020:
Old 02-19-20, 12:34 PM
noodle soup

That's not what you said initially.

14k miles in a year, that's over 38 miles per day every single day.
Just about 2 hours of saddle time every single day, 365 days at 20 mph average.
Some people love to ride big miles, and others build cheap CF bikes with shoddy bar wraps.
Old 02-19-20, 01:04 PM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Whatever you claim to have ridden.. seems to me, your posting is cutting into your riding time for big miles.

At least I wrap my own bars, instead of lying about my mileage on the bike.

Last edited by cat0020; 02-19-20 at 01:10 PM.
Old 02-19-20, 07:15 PM
noodle soup

Whatever you claim to have ridden.. seems to me, your posting is cutting into your riding time for big miles.

Friend, I’ll hit 2k miles for the year around noon this Saturday, and you still can’t figure out how to wrap bars.

This might help you.

Old 02-19-20, 07:52 PM
noodle soup

Maybe you should spend less time questioning how much others ride, and learn basic bike maintenance techniques.

BTW, none of my miles are on an E-bike.

New commuter for my 2020 season.. purchased with eBay rebate for under $800 shipped to my house.

​​​​​​​

Last edited by noodle soup; 02-19-20 at 08:02 PM.
Old 02-20-20, 07:13 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

How I prefer to wrap my bars or do maintenance on my bikes has nothing to do with your failure to provide any evidence to support your claims of:

In the past 8 years, I've ridden over 100k miles, and probably well over 300k miles in my lifetime
You asked me to "do the math", I did, and you know what? the math doesn't add up without evidence.

Distracting your failure to providing evidence with how I wrap my bars or which bike I choose to commute doesn't make your claims any more believable,

Anyone can make claims that he/she rides x amount of miles in however many years, has billion dollars in his bank account or immigrants are taking all the domestic jobs.. but without evidence, they are just lies.

Without any evidence to support your claims, makes me question all you posts in this thread, in this forum.

Everyone should be able to think critically when presented outlandish claims in public forum.

Personally, I think critically and I don't stand for claims without evidence; nor should any decent human being when it comes to outlandish claims.
Because when you tolerate these small lies and the liar gets away with lying over & over, it is simply enabling the liar, which reminds me of certain POTUS that gets away with lies every single day.

If you have actually ridden every single day for over 34+ miles, at 20 mph avg. without stops,
for 1.7 hours for the last 8 years; that's a significant achievement,
something you should be proud of and likely kept decent record of it.
Without that record or evidence to support your claim; that's just a big fat lie.

Last edited by cat0020; 02-20-20 at 07:16 AM.
Old 02-20-20, 09:33 AM
noodle soup

Without any evidence to support your claims, makes me question all you posts in this thread, in this forum.
I'm OK with this. Your opinion means nothing to me

If you have actually ridden every single day for over 34+ miles, at 20 mph avg. without stops,
for 1.7 hours for the last 8 years; that's a significant achievement,
something you should be proud of and likely kept decent record of it.
It's really not that hard to do when you live car-free in Phoenix, and work 10 miles from you home . Riding just 4 times per week(a 2 hour/38 mile loop) and commuting gets me to 12k miles. Sometimes I don't ride(other than commuting) on days that I work, but I always ride on my days off. Being single(but dating a triathlete) with no children gives me plenty of time to ride

Without that record or evidence to support your claim; that's just a big fat lie.
I do keep records of my rides, but refusing to share them with you doesn't make it " just a big fat lie".
Old 02-20-20, 10:17 AM
big john

Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,849 Times in 4,396 Posts

Everyone should be able to think critically when presented outlandish claims in public forum.

Personally, I think critically and I don't stand for claims without evidence; nor should any decent human being when it comes to outlandish claims.
I don't think 12K miles per year is an outlandish claim, I have done 12K miles in a year while working full time, ( years ago ). I have also done 9K several years. A man in my club did 16K last year also while working, (lots of freedom on his job). and an old friend used to do over 20K every year while retired.

Another thing, you can't do the math like that ( 34 miles per day every day ). Most of us don't ride every day, regardless of how many miles we do. I used to do 100 every Saturday, 50 on Sunday, 20 on Tuesday, 50 on Wednesday, etc., with at least 2 days off per week. Now I take 3 days off or just do 10 miles one day.

I know I have done around 200K since I started riding in the early 80s and if I was more dedicated or commuted that would have been much higher.
Old 02-20-20, 10:33 AM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by big john
I don't think 12K miles per year is an outlandish claim, I have done 12K miles in a year while working full time,

Another thing, you can't do the math like that ( 34 miles per day every day ). Most of us don't ride every day, regardless of how many miles we do. I used to do 100 every Saturday, 50 on Sunday, 20 on Tuesday, 50 on Wednesday, etc., with at least 2 days off per week. Now I take 3 days off or just do 10 miles one day.
I've had years where I rode every day, and other years where I only rode 350 days. It's really easy to do when you live in the Phoenix area. My highest mileage year is also the year I rode the least days. I was unable to ride for almost 2 months after being hit by a truck, but still got 14,383 miles. Not working for nearly nine months made it possible.
Old 02-20-20, 10:41 AM
big john

Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,849 Times in 4,396 Posts
I've had years where I rode every day, and other years where I only rode 350 days. It's really easy to do when you live in the Phoenix area. My highest mileage year is also the year I rode the least days. I was unable to ride for almost 2 months after being hit by a truck, but still got 14,383 miles. Not working for nearly nine months made it possible.
I've done loaded touring where I rode every day for weeks but I was 35 then. Now, I need days off if I am going to be riding hard.

Not working is good if you can swing it.
Old 02-20-20, 11:10 AM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by big john

Not working is good if you can swing it.
Oakley really took care of me there
Old 02-20-20, 11:27 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11893 Post(s)
Liked 6,487 Times in 3,416 Posts
Annie?
Likes For BillyD:
Old 02-20-20, 11:31 AM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by BillyD
Annie?
The once great eyewear company
Old 02-20-20, 11:34 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11893 Post(s)
Liked 6,487 Times in 3,416 Posts
The once great eyewear company
They've declined?
Likes For BillyD:
Old 02-20-20, 11:41 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

I'm OK with this. Your opinion means nothing to me
Whether you're ok with it doesn't make your claim of riding 100k miles in 8 years a reality.
It would still be a lie if you are ok with it; that just make you a liar, that's not an opinion.

It's really not that hard to do when you live car-free in Phoenix, and work 10 miles from you home . Riding just 4 times per week(a 2 hour/38 mile loop) and commuting gets me to 12k miles. Sometimes I don't ride(other than commuting) on days that I work, but I always ride on my days off. Being single(but dating a triathlete) with no children gives me plenty of time to ride

I do keep records of my rides, but refusing to share them with you doesn't make it " just a big fat lie".
4x38 miles x 52 weeks in a year; that's less than 8k miles a year, not 12k miles.
Your math is simply wrong, that has nothing to do with you being single, having no children or dating anyone.
Without evidence, it would still make your claim of riding 100k miles in 8 years a lie.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.