Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

why bikes shouldn't be taxed like motorvehicles

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-16, 12:59 PM
ANN5250

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

While reading the paper this morning, I came across an article suggesting that bikes should be taxed just like cars. I am going to send a response as to why they shouldn't be and am looking for suggestions. Thanks
Old 05-18-16, 01:13 PM
SpeshulEd 

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Because, I already own cars. Should we tax shoes too?

...Obviously those damn pedestrians are destroying the roads, making potholes and such ...and don't get me started on this "walkable city" bull****, "more infrastructure, give us side walks!" they shout. Screw that, buy a car and sit in gridlock with the rest of us or get the hell off my lawn.

Sorry, sarcasm seems to be the only way to handle this situation.

Old 05-18-16, 01:22 PM
TheLibrarian

Bikes: 2014 Giant Roam

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The easy answer is because they are green, dont burn fossil fuels, safer, quieter etc. Seems like simple answers but when confronting a town board or policy makers 3rd grade simplistic arguments seem to work. As if they were just waiting for someone to come in and state the obvious. Dont overlook it though non bikers may not think much about the world of bikes and need someone to tell them the basic arguments. How exactly are cars taxed? Sales tax? Thats not more for cars than anything else as far as I'm aware and you pay sales tax on your bike for certain. Tax on gas is not tax on car. So what other taxed like cars are they even talking about?
Old 05-18-16, 01:25 PM
Jaywalk3r

Bikes: I own N+1 bikes, where N=0.

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Much of the cost of road building and maintenance comes from the general tax fund. Bicyclists pay those taxes like anyone else. Typically, their tax contributions to maintenance already outweigh the cost of the wear and tear that results from the use of their bicycles on the road, so they're already subsidizing motor vehicle use.

Bicyclists receive a disproportionately smaller benefit from taxpayer subsidized "free" parking. They similarly subsidize parking for motorists at privately owned stores with parking lots by having to pay the same price for goods that motorists pay, despite not requiring a full parking space.
Old 05-18-16, 01:31 PM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
How are cars taxed?
Old 05-18-16, 01:43 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
You Off Planet?

sales Exise, and Fuel tax per gallon and service , another sales tax.

then comes the extra taxes thru citations by the police for operating violations.

little taxes needed because of all the Income Taxes on the 1% & multinational corporations that are reduced by their funding their politicians.
Old 05-18-16, 01:48 PM
PolarBear007
Touring Enthusiast

Bikes: 23" Schwinn High Plains, 20" Trek 830 Antelope

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by PepeM
How are cars taxed?
License/registration. Additionally, sometimes there are specific road use taxes levied depending on the type of vehicle that is a part of the registration.

Further, sometimes a state/municipality levies an additional tax/fee for vehicles purchased outside of the state which may or may not trickle down to local/county road maintenance funds.
Old 05-18-16, 02:02 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts

Thought this thread might require extra. At least three tubs if it had been started in the A&S forum.
Old 05-18-16, 02:33 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
To maximize revenue, bicycles should be taxed on a per mile basis. Require each rider to fill out a form indicating the miles ridden to compute the tax. Bike riders love to lie about how much they ride so the tax money would pour in.
Old 05-18-16, 02:39 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
If I could trust the money would go to biking infrastructure, I'd be all for it. I try to make it to charity events that support the various trails, biking promotion groups, etc., and wouldn't balk at a license plate that goes to support such activities.

As to why they shouldn't? I'm far more inclined to believe the money will get wasted protecting some tadpole that only lives in one single mud puddle than used for its intended purposes.
Old 05-18-16, 02:41 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
The basic answer is that bicycles should not be taxed like motor vehicles because they don't cause the wear and tear on city streets like motor vehicles do. Potholes are caused by numerous 1-ton vehicles going down that street, not so much by a 200 lb. man on a 30 lb. bicycle. Not to mention the fact that bicycles are non-polluting and quiet.

Just how much tax revenue do they think the government would rake in by taxing bicycles?
Old 05-18-16, 02:47 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by PolarBear007
Further, sometimes a state/municipality levies an additional tax/fee for vehicles purchased outside of the state which may or may not trickle down to local/county road maintenance funds.
In the US, that's simply sales tax, and bicycles are subject to the same sales tax laws as cars.

With declining gas tax revenues, general tax payer funding is increasingly required for road upkeep. To that extent, bikes likely pay their fair share, since bikes contribute no significant wear to roads. The only real bicycling cost is upkeep of dedicated bicycle-only infrastructure, which is basically non-existent in the US. Yes, bike lanes are painted on roads, but the repair schedule is entirely dictated by the overall road condition (with wear from cars/trucks). Other things are typically multi-use paths, in case, we should equally tax shoes.
Old 05-18-16, 03:09 PM
16 Tons

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We are probably not far from bike registration in the US.
Old 05-18-16, 03:29 PM
Big Grove

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
Potholes are caused by numerous 1-ton vehicles going down that street, not so much by a 200 lb. man on a 30 lb. bicycle.
There are very few 1 ton vehicles driving on the streets. That is about what a 1990 Mazda Miata weighs.

The average new car weighs over 2 tons (4000 lbs). The average 1/2 ton pickup truck is approaching 3 tons (6000 lbs).
Old 05-18-16, 03:30 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
In Wisconsin last year, there was a proposal to put a $25 tax on all bicycle sales. This is the letter I sent Rep. Nygren and my Assemblywoman and State Senator:

Hon. John Nygren:

I read with interest and concern your proposal to enact a $25 tax on new bicycle sales, ostensibly to end a supposed “free ride” bicyclists enjoy on Wisconsin’s roads. My concerns include the following:

1) Many of the roads bicyclists use are paid for by property taxes, not the fuel tax, so any cyclist who pays property tax is already paying for road building. Since bicycles cause far less wear on the roads than motor vehicles and require less pavement, parking, etc. a person who uses their bicycle for transportation is likely actually subsidizing those who use cars exclusively.

2) The proposed tax is highly regressive. A person who can only afford a $100 WalMart bike pays a $25 tax -- 25% of the bicycle’s cost. But a person who can afford to buy a high-end $6,000 Trek bicycle pays the same $25 tax -- only 0.42% of the bicycle’s cost.

3) Since wear and tear on our roads is roughly proportional to vehicle weight, why not apportion the tax in a way that reflects this reality? Propose a uniform tax on all new vehicles -- cars, trucks, motorcycles, and bicycles -- based on vehicle weight. This would place the burden of maintaining our roads on the users who impose the most wear on the roads.

Thank you for your attention to my concerns

Sincerely,

John D Thompson
Old 05-18-16, 03:47 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by PepeM
How are cars taxed?
I'll bite.

Cars are not taxed. People who own and use cars are taxed.

Ammirite?
Old 05-18-16, 03:53 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
In Wisconsin last year, there was a proposal to put a $25 tax on all bicycle sales. This is the letter I sent Rep. Nygren and my Assemblywoman and State Senator:

Hon. John Nygren:

I read with interest and concern your proposal to enact a $25 tax on new bicycle sales, ostensibly to end a supposed “free ride” bicyclists enjoy on Wisconsin’s roads. My concerns include the following:

1) Many of the roads bicyclists use are paid for by property taxes, not the fuel tax, so any cyclist who pays property tax is already paying for road building. Since bicycles cause far less wear on the roads than motor vehicles and require less pavement, parking, etc. a person who uses their bicycle for transportation is likely actually subsidizing those who use cars exclusively.

2) The proposed tax is highly regressive. A person who can only afford a $100 WalMart bike pays a $25 tax -- 25% of the bicycle’s cost. But a person who can afford to buy a high-end $6,000 Trek bicycle pays the same $25 tax -- only 0.42% of the bicycle’s cost.

3) Since wear and tear on our roads is roughly proportional to vehicle weight, why not apportion the tax in a way that reflects this reality? Propose a uniform tax on all new vehicles -- cars, trucks, motorcycles, and bicycles -- based on vehicle weight. This would place the burden of maintaining our roads on the users who impose the most wear on the roads.

Thank you for your attention to my concerns

Sincerely,

John D Thompson

This would have been my letter.
Dear Assemblywoman/Senator/Representative

I read with interest and concern your proposal to enact a $25 tax on new bicycle sales. If you continue to support this legislation I will vote for your opponent in the next election and encourage my family, friends, coworkers and acquaintances to do the same.

Yours,
TimothyH

-Tim-
Old 05-18-16, 03:56 PM
ANN5250

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
I'll bite.

Cars are not taxed. People who own and use cars are taxed.

Ammirite?
when you're right, you're right
Old 05-18-16, 03:57 PM
ANN5250

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks so much, I knew I would get some great ideas here.
Old 05-18-16, 04:07 PM
dksix

Bikes: Basso Luguna, Fuji Nevada

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4261 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Rather than tax cyclist, mount camera's on all bikes that can get plate numbers and send tickets to all passing motor vehicles that violate minimum passing distances. I don't know about the rest of you but I'd bring in some $$$$ for the counties.
Old 05-18-16, 04:13 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,464 Posts
Some posters forget that bike lanes often are part of the road structure. I just went past an older four lane road that needed repaving last time I saw it. Now it's been resurfaced but it's two lanes with a center turn lane and bike lanes added. That's really nice but car tax helped pay for that. So it's probably fair that bicycles help pay for maintenance.
Old 05-18-16, 04:33 PM
Slash5

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Moderator's note: This post in its original form violated bikeforms.net policy on the use of copyrighted material.

Cyclists vs. drivers: Who pays their fair share?

"Freeloader!" the driver yells out his window

Last edited by unterhausen; 05-18-16 at 04:44 PM.
Old 05-18-16, 04:45 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
I do pay taxes on my bike just like I do on my car. I pay gas taxes for all the gas I put in it, and I pay sales tax when I buy it. In addition t the infrastructure subsidies of cars that people often note, we have significantly more emergency services, court cases, and police patrols than we would if everyone rode a bike or a bus. It's these hidden subsidies that really add up.
Old 05-18-16, 04:48 PM
Jaywalk3r

Bikes: I own N+1 bikes, where N=0.

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by StanSeven
Some posters forget that bike lanes often are part of the road structure. I just went past an older four lane road that needed repaving last time I saw it. Now it's been resurfaced but it's two lanes with a center turn lane and bike lanes added. That's really nice but car tax helped pay for that. So it's probably fair that bicycles help pay for maintenance.
And you're forgetting that bike infrastructure benefits bicyclists and non-bicyclists alike. It provides more jobs per dollar spent than car-only infrastructure projects. It increases property values. It decreases congestion. It increases business for businesses along the bike lanes. The list goes on.
Old 05-18-16, 05:02 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,508 Times in 3,351 Posts
I might be willing to pay $5 a year (for one bike, or for all bikes) if the state could reduce theft and guarantee that I could leave my bicycle outside a store unlocked and have it be there when I came back out.

As it is, millions of dollars worth of bikes are stolen each year. A few are recovered, but there is never a big effort to prevent theft, and to hunt down bike thieves once a bike is stolen.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.