Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cycling shoes... how many of us wear them ?... If not... what DO you wear ?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-16, 06:23 PM
Artfahie

Bikes: Trek FX7.2 Hybrid, Bianchi c2c road bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm just getting into this activity, and, of course, am discovering all of the money-absorbing... sometimes important peripheral items that so many of us "can't live without"... Well, cycling shoes or NO cycling shoes... that is the question.. Expensive ones... affordable ones... or just plain old shoes or sneakers. Personally, I purchased a Trek FX7.2 hybrid... I don't plan on cycling cross country anytime soon... but... if I'm going to stick with this activity it would be better to know how vital dedicated shoes will be over the long run. Thanks.
Old 05-18-16, 06:28 PM
FullGas

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
it depends.

describe the riding you do...if it's a dinky 3-mile lap around the 'hood, you can probably wear anything.
Old 05-18-16, 06:29 PM
Jaywalk3r

Bikes: I own N+1 bikes, where N=0.

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Whatever I have on.
Old 05-18-16, 06:38 PM
wschruba

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 48 Posts
Good pedals (appropriate for the shoes you are wearing) are more important than the shoes...

Flex-y shoes (such as flip-flops) are most comfortable on large pedals...tiny pedals need really stiff shoes to protect your foot.
Old 05-18-16, 06:38 PM
Artfahie

Bikes: Trek FX7.2 Hybrid, Bianchi c2c road bike

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FullGas
it depends.

describe the riding you do...if it's a dinky 3-mile lap around the 'hood, you can probably wear anything.
At this point I'm focusing on a daily 8-10 mile daily jaunt... my goal ?... not too hefty, but at least one good 20-25 mile weekly run thrown into the mix.
Old 05-18-16, 06:45 PM
deapee
Ride On!

Bikes: Allez DSW SL Sprint | Fuji Cross

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Well, when I first started back riding about 3 years ago I had a mountain bike.

I was getting into riding again and REALLY eyeing up cyclocross / gravel bikes.

I was going up a gravel path to get back onto the main path after doing a little sight-seeing at the river and I hit a little root...my foot slipped off the pedal and my full weight came down on my taint...

Shortly after, I got the cyclocross bike and clipless.

--

Fast forward to this year -- I had been off for a while due to a fracture and soft tissue injuries in my ankle all winter...barely walked for 3 months.
I didn't really see the need for clipless because I was riding pretty casually at that point and felt like clipless was a chore sometimes...but before that I was spending less and less time on gravel and more and more time on the road. So I got a new road bike and stuck with some flats and tennis shoes. On my maiden voyage, coming around a corner about to go up a small hill, my foot (injured side) slipped off the pedal and my achilles (which was REALLY tight from injury) caught the pedal coming back around full bore. It was cold out that day on top of everything.

--

Needless to say, I swapped my SPD's onto my bike that same day and haven't looked back since.

As for shoes...I just have some LAKE mtb shoes that take the SPD cleats from back in the day. I can walk in them pretty normally (as opposed to a lot of roadie shoes). They might be a little added weight, I'm not sure...but all I've ever had have been mtb shoes and the mtb SPD cleats -- so I don't have anything to compare them to. I'm perfectly happy with them.
Old 05-18-16, 07:00 PM
But its me 

Bikes: A few older US made Cannondales, a modern Soma Saga (no longer made, alas!), and one gifted crabon Specialized. Never enough.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 39 Posts
Personally, I say stick with plain athletic shoes until you get hooked, then you might consider clipless pedals, cleats, and shoes.

I learned with toe clips and straps, but enjoyed the day Look pedals arrived. For your bike, I would look at Shimano mountain bike SPD pedals and cleats, and some more walkable shoes. SPDs are reasonable priced, dare I say cheap. If you are going to get bike specific shoes, you might as well go all the way. I don't recommend road bike shoes and cleats, at least the old Look style (which stick off the sole of no flex shoes). I love those on my road bikes, but walking in them is not easy.

For my commuter bike, I chose Shimano M530 pedals and MT34 shoes, which I picked up for around $125 altogether. The semi-wide shoes have some flex and the cleats are mostly shielded by the shoes treads, making for a walkable solution.
Old 05-18-16, 07:21 PM
Cyclist0084

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 90 Posts
I wear regular "running" shoes, which happen to currently be Sketchers. My bike has platform pedals, and my rides aren't all that particularly long, averaging anywhere from 12 to 20 miles, so those shoes currently suit me just fine.

If I ever decide to up my game, so to speak, then maybe I'll consider clipless pedals and the appropriate shoes..

Old 05-18-16, 07:43 PM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
I would stick to regular pedals and whatever shoes.
Old 05-18-16, 08:22 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I just wear my tennis shoes. Usually my old ones so I don't tear up my good ones or get them dirty. My pedals are just the ones which came with the bike, I believe they're called "rat trap" pedals.
Old 05-18-16, 08:59 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,464 Posts
It depends on your distance and speed. The more effort you put into pushing pedals, the more stiffer shoes and clipless pedals become. It's difficult to keep your feet on the pedals spinning fast for a long time up and down hills. What really is difficult is keeping your feet on platform pedals and maintaining a quick pace standing up a steep hill or accelerating hard.

When your tired and especially push hard, feet tend to slide around all over the pedal. As mentioned above by a couple others it's not only dangerous but not efficient.
Old 05-18-16, 09:00 PM
oldschool56

Bikes: 2016 Trek 1.2

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've just begun cycling again after many years. My bike (Trek 1.2) came with the "oldschool" toe clips. I wear a pair of LL Bean lace up aqua shoes which slide nicely into the clips. My longest ride to date is 20 miles. Eventually, I'll go to clipless, but for now, these work fine.
Old 05-18-16, 09:31 PM
dksix

Bikes: Basso Luguna, Fuji Nevada

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4261 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
I started riding about 8 months ago and went clipless after 6 weeks to 2 months. I first bought dual sided pedal (platform one side SPD the other) thinking I'd still want to ride with regular shoes some, I didn't. Clipless gives you a new set of things you have to learn and remember but it takes away a few things you have to worry about, to me that was a fair trade off.

Things I learned the hard way. Cycling shoes are mostly sold in Euro sizes, Euro size conversion charts are all over the place. Some list 48 as 13, some 48 is 13.5 and even a 13.8 once and size 49 from 13.8 to 15. On top of that you have manufacturers differences, so whenever possible buy local where you can try them on and when you can't check return policy before buying online. SPD cleats adjust side to side if your shoe leave enough room for the cleat to move side to side. The CrankBrothers cleats that come with my Candy's are not adjustable side to side and I've not been able to get enough clearance to not hit my heel on the chainstays. Side adjustable cleats can be bought but at $15-$20 per set. I like the CrankBrothers pedals but don't like not getting the most adjustable cleats included with pedal that are already on the pricey side. I had a pair that laced up, a pair with Velcro straps and a pair with Velcro on the bottom to straps but the one at the ankle is a ratchet strap, which I prefer.

I just ordered my first pair of road shoes, so I don't know anything about those yet.

Last piece of advice is to run the tension very low for your first few rides and when clipping out is natural start increasing the tension until you feet are well retained. Be mindful at stop signs.
Old 05-18-16, 10:00 PM
Northwestrider

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Dahon Mu P 24 , Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Rodriguez Tandem, Wheeler MTB

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sandals, rain or shine .
Old 05-18-16, 10:39 PM
raceboy

Bikes: One of each: Road, Hybrid, Trekking

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 53 Posts
I've done several metric and full century days on platform pedals and sneakers. I've done others using SPD clipless and MTB-style cycling shoes. They all worked fine. I do like the feeling of clipless because I feel like I am bolted into the bike and a part of the machinery. It's more of a psychological thing for me. I like platforms if I am in more of a touring mode and will be making lots of stops.
Old 05-18-16, 10:55 PM
DarKris

Bikes: Kona Kahuna DL Drop Bar - Sensah SRX Pro 1x11 (2012 Frame), Giant Toughroad GX 1 - Shimano Road Hydro + SLX 1x10 (2018), Diamondback Sync'r - SRAM NX 1x12 (2020)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 54 Posts
I wear whatever shoes I'm wearing that day, so either sneakers or boots depending on the weather or where I'm going.
Old 05-18-16, 11:03 PM
Jseis 
Other Worldly Member

Bikes: 1973 Motobecane Grand Jubilee, 1981 Centurion Super LeMans, 2010 Gary Fisher Wahoo, 2003 Colnago Dream Lux, 2014 Giant Defy 1, 2015 Framed Bikes Minnesota 3.0, several older family Treks

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 53 Posts
Road riding clipless yes but as dksix notes sizing is a B. I need a US 13 and getting a good fit is very difficult. The Euro sizes are not really dependable and the lasts they use have narrow toe boxes. I'd prefer a Munson last (US Military uses) because of the width for the toes. My feet tend to enlarge a 1/2 size after 100 miles and a perfect fit in the store can end in a bad way. Fatbike riding means boots and mallets....very comfortable.
Old 05-18-16, 11:03 PM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
2 bolt SPD's on all of my bikes, so my shoes have to be SPD compatible. Anything from a Chrome city shoe to a mtb shoe works if you need to walk around. Gave up flat pedals after mountain biking and constantly having them slam into my shins and calves from my foot slipping off. Have not looked back. Won't look back either. Clipless no matter if I am doing a century or riding a mile down to the store for a few things.
Old 05-18-16, 11:16 PM
Hardrock23

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Prelude

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Iv been using a pair of slim reeboks and I only got them because they fit easily in the toe clips that i bought for my last bike, which i never got around to putting on lol. My new (road) bike came with toe clips though and after getting used to her for the past few weeks, i finally put the toe clips back on today. I made it a mile before taking them off though. I need to practice more and get them in the right spot...I was still messing with other fit changes and became frustrated with the toe clips, so they came off for the day. lll try again tomorrow lol I really need to either use them or change pedals though because its too dangerous using these pedals without them since theyre made to have the clips on them, and my feet have slipped off 2 times now :/

Im pretty interested in the clipless & shoes and have been looking into those options. I think id feel better if just the bottom of my shoe was clipped in, instead of having this cage around my foot. Its probably just mental though, as theyre not hard to get in and out of...
Im trying to hold off on trying clipless though until i really decide on the toe clips, and whether i want to put the money into it or not. Plus im still doing 12-24 mile rides, so theres no hurry i guess!
Old 05-18-16, 11:43 PM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Artfahie
it would be better to know how vital dedicated shoes will be over the long run. Thanks.
I ride in clipless: road shoes, MTB shoes and sandels. I also ride in regular: tennis shoes, Adi Racer driving shoes, and cross trainers when I'm biking to the gym. Ain't no rules, whatever works. The one caution is you don't want a sole with flex, if you are wearing athletic shoes you need some rigidity in the shoe. I've found retro tennis shoes are supremely comfortable, they have flat and stiff shoes and breath well. I suspect Chrome's Kursks would be very similar.
Old 05-18-16, 11:48 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Artfahie
I'm just getting into this activity, and, of course, am discovering all of the money-absorbing... sometimes important peripheral items that so many of us "can't live without"... Well, cycling shoes or NO cycling shoes... that is the question.. Expensive ones... affordable ones... or just plain old shoes or sneakers. Personally, I purchased a Trek FX7.2 hybrid... I don't plan on cycling cross country anytime soon... but... if I'm going to stick with this activity it would be better to know how vital dedicated shoes will be over the long run. Thanks.
Here is how it works for many. If you are just getting started and you are riding a hybrid or a cruiser more than likely what you wear doesn't matter.

If you start riding more and longer distances and stay with the hybrid more than likely better pedals will be in the works. Big ones like Monsters have little nibs on them to help keep your shoe planted and make it harder to slip off. If your feet start getting hot spots it is from flex so Skater shoes will make a difference, stiffer soles.

If you decide to ride even more and maybe move to a road bike you might find your feet hurt a bit more after maybe 30-40 miles. If they do hurt of if you do get hot spots and you are still interested in riding more and farther start thinking about clipless. As said there are many choices and SPD are about as good as any. Though Crank brothers make good pedals as well. MTB shoes are easier to walk in and they come with different degrees of stiffness as well.

If you continue in you quest and become someone that rides a lot or even joins group rides sooner or later you will find that hot spots might hit you again. Then it might be time to think about road shoes. They are stiffer still. The theory seems to be the whole shoe becomes the platform once clipped in and so without flex hot spots are minimized.

As far as what kind that is all up to you. You can get some good deals on Shimano, Giro, Specialized, Bontreger and Diadora. But with all of that you still don't need to get ahead of yourself. You will know soon enough if tennis shoes will work for you. It is a bit like hiking. I could walk on nature walks and do some cross country walks in good walking sneakers but one 15 mile hiking trial with 4000 feet of climbing and coming back down taught me that I need hiking shoes.
Old 05-19-16, 03:12 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Plastic platform pedals, usually low top Montrail hiking shoes, sometimes lightweight moccasin type shoes.

Just recently my conditioning has improved enough that I can feel some inefficiency in my bike and pedaling -- more bouncing with the suspension fork on smooth pavement, the padded comfort saddle, and thick soled hiking shoes. I might consider old style toe clips or clipless this year if I add another bike. Years ago I added toe clips and Detto Pietro cleated hard-soled shoes to my 10-speed road bike, which made a lot of difference on climbs and spinning fast on flats and downhills. But I'll keep this comfort hybrid as-is. I prefer to keep my feet free in traffic and the busy MUP. But something more efficient for solo rides in rural areas would be good.

Clipless can make a heckuva racket in groups. I rode with a large group Wednesday and the dozens of riders clipping in and unclipping sounded like hundreds of small plastic bottles and cans being crushed underfoot, every time we slowed for an intersection or bottleneck. It was kinda comical because it was the annual "Ride of Silence".
Old 05-19-16, 05:02 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
For now, I'd suggest you stick with clipless. However, I'd still suggest perhaps getting a better pedal, if your bike didn't come with something like I've linked. With the pedal I've linked, you have the option of later using the other side to clip in with (with MTB shoe/cleat) if you decide to try it out. Until then, you can just use the non-clip-in side of the pedal. They work well.
Nashbar Double Track Pedals
Old 05-19-16, 05:34 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Vans.
Old 05-19-16, 05:36 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
Originally Posted by PepeM
I would stick to regular pedals and whatever shoes.
You need clipless if you want to stick to the pedals.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.