Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Rode this! Trek super commuter

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 08-13-17, 08:24 PM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts

I rode the trek super commuter this weekend it was my first https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/e.../1367000-2017/experience with an electric bike.

It was fun but fairly heavy.
It was pretty heavy bike but it sure did move quick with the electric on turbo. The guy at shop who bought one and uses it to commute said he charges it once a week.
Old 08-13-17, 08:34 PM
mattia76

Bikes: 1994 Bridgestone RB-T, 1987 Miyata 1000LT, Rivendell Sam Hillborne,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 15 Posts
I saw a ton of different E-Treks at my LBS this last weekend. They look sweet, but why would one choose to ever actually pedal them (being so heavy) when they have the electric turbo at their fingertips?
Old 08-13-17, 11:09 PM
General Geoff

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Cooper CX; 2007 Cannondale F4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 64 Posts
For a little more money, you could have a Zero FXS electric motorcycle. *shrug*
Old 08-14-17, 12:07 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Originally Posted by mattia76
I saw a ton of different E-Treks at my LBS this last weekend. They look sweet, but why would one choose to ever actually pedal them (being so heavy) when they have the electric turbo at their fingertips?
If you hopped on one and "chose not to actually pedal" you'd look pretty dumb since it would fall over.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 08-14-17, 12:09 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Originally Posted by RidingMatthew
I rode the trek super commuter this weekend it was my first https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/e.../1367000-2017/experience with an electric bike.

It was pretty heavy bike but it sure did move quick with the electric on turbo. The guy at shop who bought one and uses it to commute said he charges it once a week.
$5000 is still a little rich for my blood, but I see the potential for these things. Maybe when I'm a little older.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 08-14-17, 03:22 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts

About time you guys (in the US) started using properly integrated Bosch motors on e-bikes (pedelec in Germany).

However, for less than that much money, it should have a Bosch motor, a proper IGH, fender guard, racks and lights.

Something more like this:

Koga Miyata
Old 08-14-17, 08:17 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Originally Posted by acidfast7
About time you guys (in the US) started using properly integrated Bosch motors on e-bikes (pedelec in Germany).

However, for less than that much money, it should have a Bosch motor, a proper IGH, fender guard, racks and lights.

Something more like this:

Koga Miyata
The one I rode had fenders, rack, and lights. But I had no idea that is cost that much.
Old 08-14-17, 09:03 AM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
$5000??? Jeebus. You can tell who the target market for this bike is. (Old, rich people.)

Even the dutch bike above is $3800.

You could build an e-bike out of an old mountain bike for less than $1000 (probably significantly less)... with fenders, and everything you'd need... My friend bought one of those e-bay special e-bike kits. It worked well! Have no idea about the longevity or battery life, but it was super fast (and also definitely not legal since you could go almost 30 MPH on it without pedaling.)

Sure, you don't get "pedal assist" but you do get the "I get to where I want to go faster with less effort."

Last edited by corrado33; 08-14-17 at 09:12 AM.
Old 08-14-17, 09:49 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by General Geoff
For a little more money, you could have a Zero FXS electric motorcycle. *shrug*
But these you actually have to pedal. You are still getting a workout, but you go faster. I rode one from Specialized a few times when my LBS had one. Myself and the manager rode it quite a lot. It felt like riding my regular bike effort-wise, but my speed was much higher. I was able to get out into traffic quicker, and keep up fairly easily, at 30 mph.

You still make the effort, but the motor just makes you go faster, you cannot coast and simply run on electric with most of these, you have to be pedaling.
Old 08-14-17, 12:00 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7342 Post(s)
Liked 2,443 Times in 1,426 Posts
E-bikes are taking off like crazy here in NYC. I hope they are made legal quickly, though I'm not optimistic about that.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 08-14-17, 12:43 PM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Originally Posted by phughes
But these you actually have to pedal. You are still getting a workout, but you go faster. I rode one from Specialized a few times when my LBS had one. Myself and the manager rode it quite a lot. It felt like riding my regular bike effort-wise, but my speed was much higher. I was able to get out into traffic quicker, and keep up fairly easily, at 30 mph.

You still make the effort, but the motor just makes you go faster, you cannot coast and simply run on electric with most of these, you have to be pedaling.
true this one did not provide any electric help unless you were pedaling but pedaling in a fast gear I hit 25 no problem felt like I was riding at 10-12 mph effort too.
Old 08-14-17, 02:02 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,201 Times in 2,357 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes

You have to "pedal" electric bicycles because that's what the laws say you have to do in order for them to be considered "bicycles". From Wikipedia

CPSC rules stipulate that low speed electric bicycles (to include two- and three-wheel vehicles) are exempt from classification as motor vehicles providing they have fully operable pedals, an electric motor of less than 750W (1 hp), and a top motor-powered speed of less than 20 miles per hour (32 km/h) when operated by a rider weighing 170 pounds. An electric bike remaining within these specifications is subject to the CPSC consumer product regulations for a bicycle.

Commercially manufactured e-bikes exceeding these power and speed limits are regulated by the federal DOT and NHTSA as motor vehicles, and must meet additional safety requirements.
I'd be more concerned about the bicycle's range (for the price) than anything else. Their range is 18 to 80 miles probably depending on how much you use the battery. If they are anything like most electric bicycles I've seen, you need the motor to keep them moving but using the motor means you wear out the battery faster and the bike turns into a lead brick that leaves you struggling up every hill or you have to wait 2 hours to charge the battery.

Meh. Too much money to be a commuter bike you park outside. Not enough range to be that useful. 'Tis and expensive toy.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 08-14-17, 06:53 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
When I am too out of shape or old to pedal, I might consider an electric bike. By then they should be able to hit 50 mph and take you 300 miles on a single charge. And cost maybe $1,000.
Old 08-14-17, 09:49 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
I am sorry, that is one fugly bike, electric or not .
Old 08-15-17, 06:53 AM
FenderTL5

Bikes: Trek 7.3FX, Diamondback Edgewood hybrid, KHS Montana

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I test Rode the Giant Quick-E+ (linked) earlier this year. It lists at 3k. I was impressed and if I had 3k I would've brought it home.

I've considered a $300~ bike and a copenhagen wheel as a cost effective alternative but nothing beyond the passing thought.
Old 08-15-17, 07:55 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,201 Times in 2,357 Posts
Originally Posted by FenderTL5
I test Rode the Giant Quick-E+ (linked) earlier this year. It lists at 3k. I was impressed and if I had 3k I would've brought it home.

I've considered a $300~ bike and a copenhagen wheel as a cost effective alternative but nothing beyond the passing thought.
My question on the Giant and Trek is how that rack thing is supposed to work. How do you keep the rack from rotating off the back of the bike in the case of both bikes and how do you keep the rack on the Trek from bending under even a moderate load? The Trek has a picture of panniers that are larger than I carry for weeks of self-sustained touring but the rack doesn't look like it would carry the weight of the panniers much any additional weight. The Giant, on the other hand, locks you into only carrying panniers since you don't have a rack deck to mount anything to.

I wouldn't call either of these bikes "commuter" bikes and neither is versatile enough to use for much of anything else. And, in 5 years when the propriety battery packs go south, they will be expensive scrap.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 08-15-17, 08:10 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Considering how commonly I see e-bikes in NYC, I have to guess they're pretty useful, whether we like them or not.

I have no desire to get one for myself, but I have no problem with their gaining popularity. If it gets people out of cars, it's a wonderful thing, as they are nearly silent and use very little fossil fuel compared with just about every other motorized form of transport.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 08-15-17, 08:30 AM
FenderTL5

Bikes: Trek 7.3FX, Diamondback Edgewood hybrid, KHS Montana

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
My question on the Giant and Trek is how that rack thing is supposed to work..
I would presume they are supposed to work by using brand specific accessories. That is just a guess.
And, in 5 years when the propriety battery packs go south, they will be expensive scrap.
Maintenance concerns are another reason I won't drop 3K on one of these bikes yet. There's battery life, but also chains derailleurs, cranks etc that wear out regularly on my pedal bike. How does this play-out on an e-bike?
I don't know but I would presume maintenance is more of a concern and more in terms of costs.
Old 08-15-17, 11:14 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
You have to "pedal" electric bicycles because that's what the laws say you have to do in order for them to be considered "bicycles". From Wikipedia
Not exactly. It has to have operational pedals, but you don't have to pedal. Do you remember those 100+lb mopeds from the '70's that had pedals that were totally worthless, but had to be there because of regulations?

Besides, that is a requirement for CPSC consumer product regulations for a bicycle. , not for what you can buy/sell/own/license...
Old 08-15-17, 11:17 AM
chas58

I build several ebikes I've been riding for many years. It is wonderful for commuting over longer distances (more than 10 miles).

My requirements were a bit different:
  1. Light weight (less than 30 lbs, or about the same as a basic mountain bike).
  2. Low cost (<$500 + donor bike)
  3. Higher speed (25-27mph).

It is a heck of a lot of fun to get to work on, and really surprises cars with its speed...
Old 08-15-17, 12:00 PM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

@chas58 I would love to see a video or picture of this bike you have made.

that sounds better for me. if I had electric it would cut down my commuting time.
Old 08-15-17, 01:30 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Some ebikes have throttles, and some require pedaling for the motor to kick in. And some have been modified after purchase.

Old 08-15-17, 01:57 PM
chas58

@chas58 I would love to see a video or picture of this bike you have made.

that sounds better for me. if I had electric it would cut down my commuting time.
Klein, Specialized, Bianchi donner bikes. The silver specialized is my daily commuter (~25+ mph).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20170306_204544-01 750.jpg (97.7 KB, 83 views)
20160425_194205-02.jpg (101.8 KB, 83 views)
Snow Kline800.jpg (97.4 KB, 84 views)
Old 08-15-17, 07:55 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts
Well, the one I rode only provided assist, and for some people, that would be nice. If you didn't pedal, you would go nowhere. For people with a longer commute, with less time to do it, the higher speed might be nice. The Specialized I rode has a range of 35-60 miles, depending on how you ride. It recharges in 3 1/2 hours so it can easily be charged while at work, if necessary. My friend was able to ride it from work and back, and his commute is 18 miles one way. He did it without recharging, and the hills in Western Pennsylvania are steep and plenty.

I won't knock them. They may not be for everyone, but you do have to actually pedal, and I mean you have to make an effort, the more effort you make, the faster you go. You can take it easy too, the only difference is, you won't go as fast. This type of bike can help a lot of people commute in areas like mine, where many would struggle with the steep hills. I won't begrudge them anything if they choose to use one.

Right now, a good friend of mine is at the end of a tour he did this year on an electric assist bike. I won't knock him for it, because he has done many unsupported tours cross country, with a standard bike. I met him while I was on tour, he was finishing a cross country trip, he began in San Francisco, and I was doing a puny Pittsburgh to Washington DC, he was 67 and I was 46 or 47. At age 70, he rode from Iowa, to the Florida Keys, up to the tip of Maine, then back to Iowa, covering 7,000 miles to celebrate his 70th. He has been doing long tours like that every year since I met him, all fully loaded, on standard bikes. This year, he's on an electric assist bike. I think he's earned it.
Old 08-15-17, 08:01 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
I love to try the Trek someday. The only thing I worry about is the weight. That thing weighs in at 52 pounds! You would be hard pressed carrying that up a flight a stairs everyday. Though in the ad it makes a good point, "Goodbye Car". It certainly could be that for many people and you don't have to have insurance to run it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.