Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Enve Twin Bolt Seatpost Slipping

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-19, 07:30 AM
ttusomeone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I have the new twin bolt designed Enve seatpost and am having trouble with my seat rotating backwards. It only rotates down a couple mm but it's noticeable when it happens during a ride. I'll fix it and it's fine until I ride off-road again (I have the seatpost on my gravel bike). Does anyone else have this issue and have suggestions? Am I tightening the two bolts too tight, or not tight enough? It's slipped when torqued to spec.
Old 03-17-19, 07:43 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
I don't have this seatpost, but the clamp on my Domane is somewhat similar in design (clamp that rotates inside of a hollow in the post). I wonder if it would be worthwhile to add some fiber grip/carbon paste to the interface between the upper rail clamp and the top/inside of the post hollow? I'd try that first rather than potentially over-torque.
Old 03-17-19, 07:49 AM
ttusomeone

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I don't have this seatpost, but the clamp on my Domane is somewhat similar in design (clamp that rotates inside of a hollow in the post). I wonder if it would be worthwhile to add some fiber grip/carbon paste to the interface between the upper rail clamp and the top/inside of the post hollow? I'd try that first rather than potentially over-torque.
I'm talking about the new design seatpost, which uses two bolts and a double wedge system versus the single bolt system Trek uses (granted I haven't looked at a Domain recently so it may be the same type of seatpost clamp style now). https://www.enve.com/en/products/seatpost-300mm/
Old 03-17-19, 07:53 AM
Chi_Z

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO

Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 50 Posts
sideways bolt seatpost will slip unfortunately, same thing happened to my specialized pave sl, since then I have switched to front and back bolts
Old 03-17-19, 08:07 AM
ttusomeone

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for the replies - but I'm looking for experience from someone with this actual seatpost since the twin bolt wedge design is only used on this style Enve post (that I'm aware of). They designed it to not slip and as far as I can tell, no one is having issues with it slipping (except me), so I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong.
Old 03-17-19, 08:12 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,938 Times in 1,763 Posts
That's what Enve told me to do when I had trouble with mine slipping.
Old 03-17-19, 08:30 AM
ttusomeone

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
That's what Enve told me to do when I had trouble with mine slipping.
Do you have the new model post with the two wedges and two bolts, or the older single bolt design?
Old 03-17-19, 09:17 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by ttusomeone
I'm talking about the new design seatpost, which uses two bolts and a double wedge system versus the single bolt system Trek uses (granted I haven't looked at a Domain recently so it may be the same type of seatpost clamp style now). https://www.enve.com/en/products/seatpost-300mm/
Yeah, I understand that, but it still uses friction against the inside diameter of the hole in the post that houses the clamp. If you don't have enough friction, it's going to slip. You can add friction a couple ways: tightening the bolts, which pushes the surfaces together with more force, or adding grit. If you've reached your torque spec, that eliminates one of those options.
Old 03-17-19, 09:46 AM
Pizzaiolo Americano 
Pizzaiolo Americano

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane, Bianchi Intenso, Specialized Epic Evo, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Some other stuff

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 69 Posts
Yeah, I understand that, but it still uses friction against the inside diameter of the hole in the post that houses the clamp. If you don't have enough friction, it's going to slip. You can add friction a couple ways: tightening the bolts, which pushes the surfaces together with more force, or adding grit. If you've reached your torque spec, that eliminates one of those options.
My experience with the Domane is to do the opposite. It has to be greased. This allows you to torque it down to proper spec. Without the grease, the press fit (or cup/cone fit...) isn't as good. Can't comment on the Envy though...
Old 03-17-19, 10:05 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by yarbrough462
My experience with the Domane is to do the opposite. It has to be greased. This allows you to torque it down to proper spec. Without the grease, the press fit (or cup/cone fit...) isn't as good. Can't comment on the Envy though...
They're different designs - as you say, the Trek clamps are slightly conical, so tightening the bolt draws them together, pushing on the inside bore of the seat mast clamp. The top of the ENVE clamp doesn't do that - two bits of hardware (with the tightening bolts) go under the upper portion of the clamp. Tightening those bolts presses the upper portion up, against the top of the inside bore. I think that adding grit to those mating surfaces (top of the top portion of the clamp and the top of the inside of the bore) makes more sense than grease.
Old 03-17-19, 10:30 AM
ttusomeone

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
They're different designs - as you say, the Trek clamps are slightly conical, so tightening the bolt draws them together, pushing on the inside bore of the seat mast clamp. The top of the ENVE clamp doesn't do that - two bits of hardware (with the tightening bolts) go under the upper portion of the clamp. Tightening those bolts presses the upper portion up, against the top of the inside bore. I think that adding grit to those mating surfaces (top of the top portion of the clamp and the top of the inside of the bore) makes more sense than grease.
This is what I'm going to try. Based on the design, I'm not even sure how it's slipping but this is the only thing I can think of.
Old 04-24-19, 09:12 AM
Mr.Maselan

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I’am also having the same experience, did you fix it already? What did you do?
Old 04-24-19, 09:15 AM
ttusomeone

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr.Maselan
I’am also having the same experience, did you fix it already? What did you do?
Yes I was able to resolve it. My issue was that I was using a Sworks saddle, but my LBS gave me the 7x10 seatpost clamp (the top piece). After they called Enve, they were told they make a 7x9 that fits the specialized carbon rails. After installing the new clamp it's worked flawlessly.
Old 04-24-19, 09:19 AM
Mr.Maselan

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Im using a specialized power saddle and it has a 7mm rails. Hence im using the 7mm cradle but it keeps slipping upward/downward when i go offroad.
Old 04-24-19, 09:21 AM
ttusomeone

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr.Maselan
Im using a specialized power saddle and it has a 7mm rails. Hence im using the 7mm cradle but it keeps slipping upward/downward when i go offroad.
And you have the new version of the seatpost that uses the two wedges that tighten together versus the old single bolt circular design? My issue was the wedges would bottom out against each other before getting fully tight within the cradle.
Old 09-30-20, 06:37 PM
rndnrnd

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Specialized Power have 7x9 rails. Use the 7x9 cradle.
Old 09-30-20, 07:02 PM
ttusomeone

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rndnrnd
Specialized Power have 7x9 rails. Use the 7x9 cradle.
Thanks! I've spent these past 17 months since the last post trying to figure it out. In all seriousness, you are correct in that is what the problem ended up being.