Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Feeling my age

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Feeling my age

Old 01-01-20, 08:38 AM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts
Feeling my age

Joined a gym recently. Started out mostly doing the spin classes since I don't really want to ride outdoors in the winter but would like to be in mid-summer form when spring comes around.

Yesterday, I had my free session with the personal trainer. He had me stretching and doing weight training. He agreed that I must be a cyclist because my muscles are really tight (but not in a good way) and I have no flexibility. I said, "You know cyclists don't stretch, right?" He laughed. Every muscle in my body aches today.

So now I have to add some weight training to my routine. And he suggested Yoga. Ouch.
Likes For NomarsGirl:
Old 01-01-20, 10:12 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1338 Post(s)
Liked 2,473 Times in 1,448 Posts
I joined a new gym that just opened a couple of weeks ago and I am a long time gym enthusiast. I have a couple of personal training sessions in my account. I have not decided how I am going to use them. The new gym has quite a bit of new equipment and an introduction to how this stuff works and the best form to use is one idea. Another idea is to have one follow me around and see what I am doing now and critique form and suggest alternatives. An idea like this...try this new machine to hit those muscles at a different angle and different posture. And I am always open to new ideas to improve mobility and posture.
Old 01-01-20, 12:25 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
It's important to roll those muscles. I haven't always been great about doing this, mostly because those fat styro rollers hurt like hell. But I recently spent some $ on a different kind of roller, the T-pin, and it has done amazing things for me. It's easier for me to use first of all, because it's not quite as tall, and it targets the muscles individually better. I've also appreciated the videos on how to use it to get each muscle group -- no one at my gym spends time showing you how to roll your tight muscles :-(. Anyway, after a day or two or intense pain when rolling (man up, lol!), my muscles have really loosened up and I'm moving so much freer. And now I'm doing it daily so it's not building back up to where it was so incredibly painful. You don't have to spend $$ on something like the T-pin, you can probably find a roller that's less expensive that works for you, but I highly recommend rolling. Even stretching doesn't get the knots out adequately.
Likes For linberl:
Old 01-01-20, 01:38 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I'm a big fan of stretching and have been for quite a few years. When I began cycling, the repetitious nature of the exercise caused extra tightness in the legs and neck that was addressed with rolling, (a fit stick) and neck exercises that seem to have solved those issues. It is interesting that wile watching some videos of ballet training, which consists of dance practice and when not dancing, near continuous stretching. In one video, a dancer was on the floor with a roller working on muscles of the upper thigh. Ballet is so graceful we can forget that the people are superb athletes as well as artists. So Nomarsgirl, stretch away, you are in good company.
Old 01-01-20, 03:48 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Originally Posted by NomarsGirl
Joined a gym recently. Started out mostly doing the spin classes since I don't really want to ride outdoors in the winter but would like to be in mid-summer form when spring comes around.

Yesterday, I had my free session with the personal trainer. He had me stretching and doing weight training. He agreed that I must be a cyclist because my muscles are really tight (but not in a good way) and I have no flexibility. I said, "You know cyclists don't stretch, right?" He laughed. Every muscle in my body aches today.

So now I have to add some weight training to my routine. And he suggested Yoga. Ouch.
Yoga = good.
Old 01-01-20, 04:56 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 308 Times in 199 Posts
I like to stretch for up to five seconds before a ride. I spread my legs and reach for my toes, and actually reach the space near ankles. I probably should stretch for a few more seconds. However, I'm never sore, and never ache and my hot tub is a welcome refuge after a 40-ish mile ride. I'm sure that gyms are awesome for those who like them.

Yoga = misery for me.
Old 01-01-20, 08:51 PM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
After knee replacement, breaking my back and cracking my neck, the value of stretching regular is always high. I'm pleased to say, at 56 years old, 6'1", I can touch my toes, and even go knuckles of my hand to the floor...
Likes For zjrog:
Old 01-02-20, 04:30 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Yep, I'm really tight too. My PT doc noted that when I went in for physical therapy for a couple of months last spring. I had typical cyclist posture. After a couple of months it was much better. Lots of resistance bands and light to moderate weights.

Stretching feels good but doesn't really seem to offer any lasting relief. Structured and supervised physical therapy for a couple of months helped a bit, mostly with the core, neck, shoulder and arms.

But what really helped was massage and rolling. I got a foam roller but found it awkward to use and didn't help my legs at all. Then I remembered a heavy marble rolling pin in my kitchen, mostly a decorative item although I have used it for baking. I grabbed it and tried it on my legs. Best thing ever for those tight quads and calves. The cool marble feels great and the weight means I don't need to put much pressure on the tops of the thighs. It does work the arms a bit to roll out the calves and undersides of the thighs, but I needed more core and arm work anyway.

And I got a long handled percussion massager with two heads the size of golf balls for my injured neck, back and shoulders. Helps a lot.

Try the rolling pin trick on the legs if you're not getting much relief from foam rollers, stretching, massage, etc. Best DIY trick I've found for home PT.
Old 01-02-20, 05:14 AM
NomarsGirl

Originally Posted by canklecat
Yep, I'm really tight too. My PT doc noted that when I went in for physical therapy for a couple of months last spring. I had typical cyclist posture. After a couple of months it was much better. Lots of resistance bands and light to moderate weights.

Stretching feels good but doesn't really seem to offer any lasting relief. Structured and supervised physical therapy for a couple of months helped a bit, mostly with the core, neck, shoulder and arms.

But what really helped was massage and rolling. I got a foam roller but found it awkward to use and didn't help my legs at all. Then I remembered a heavy marble rolling pin in my kitchen, mostly a decorative item although I have used it for baking. I grabbed it and tried it on my legs. Best thing ever for those tight quads and calves. The cool marble feels great and the weight means I don't need to put much pressure on the tops of the thighs. It does work the arms a bit to roll out the calves and undersides of the thighs, but I needed more core and arm work anyway.

And I got a long handled percussion massager with two heads the size of golf balls for my injured neck, back and shoulders. Helps a lot.

Try the rolling pin trick on the legs if you're not getting much relief from foam rollers, stretching, massage, etc. Best DIY trick I've found for home PT.
Never thought of a rolling pin. I don't have a marble one, but will see if my wooden one helps at all. Right now I can barely sit down I'm in so much pain. I'm fine once I sit, but getting down hurts more than my broken collarbone from a couple months back.

ETA: Wow! The rolling pin actually felt good! I'll keep that handy.

Last edited by NomarsGirl; 01-02-20 at 06:00 AM. Reason: Additional Info
Likes For NomarsGirl:
Old 01-02-20, 05:17 AM
NomarsGirl

Originally Posted by DeadGrandpa
I like to stretch for up to five seconds before a ride. I spread my legs and reach for my toes, and actually reach the space near ankles. I probably should stretch for a few more seconds. However, I'm never sore, and never ache and my hot tub is a welcome refuge after a 40-ish mile ride. I'm sure that gyms are awesome for those who like them.

Yoga = misery for me.
LOL. I can touch my toes.I have no choice about the gym. I'm planning to ride in an event this summer and need to begin training and I can't really ride outside this time of year. (Although the weather hasn't really been that bad and I have seen people out).
Old 01-02-20, 08:29 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1363 Post(s)
Liked 1,674 Times in 827 Posts
I've always been tight. I ran track and cross-country when I was 14. I could finally touch my toes after 6 months of stretching. I quit track the next year and haven;t been able to touch my toes since. However I never really had any problems with pulling muscles or ligaments until the last couple of years.

I may have to begin stetching.
Old 01-02-20, 08:37 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 539 Posts
I've always enjoyed stretching. There is the school of thought that it doesn't really effect performance, but boy, I just love the way I feel after a good stretching session.

Several times when I've had an extended physical exam they will test your flexibility and after my first few tries they usually just waive me off since it is quite apparent that I exceed in flexibility for someone my age.
Old 01-02-20, 09:02 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,576 Times in 2,340 Posts
Yoga
good for you! I added approx 5 minutes of yoga stretches prior to my lunchtime weight training sessions. I mostly do them for my back & they have helped
Old 01-02-20, 09:30 AM
NomarsGirl

Who says I'm not flexible? My boss just asked me if I can go to Kansas - tomorrow. I don't know what the project is yet, but I'll be on a plane at 5 AM.

LOL.
Likes For NomarsGirl:
Old 01-02-20, 10:28 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2594 Post(s)
Liked 1,922 Times in 1,206 Posts
I'd do the yoga/stretching for a week or two before I started weight lifting. Get the muscles to loosen up a bit before I started tightening them back up with the lifting.

Visiting my daughter last week made me feel guilty. I KNOW I should be lifting, and she's got a rack of weights sitting downstairs! So I did for a couple days. Now it's next year -- can I wait until after Christmas to start up again?
Old 01-02-20, 10:42 AM
daoswald

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts

Yes. This is how it was for me.

At first I could barely do squats with a bar without feeling like either I wouldn't be able to get back up, or I wouldn't be able to avoid falling backward. My shoulders were constantly sore while lifting, I was using what looked like kiddie weights compared to the others around me, and so on. ...except for leg presses, hamstring curls, the glute machine, and the quad machine. Those I could do more weight. It took six months before I started feeling more natural with it all. I believe it's made me healthier and hopefully a better rider.
Likes For daoswald:
Old 01-02-20, 12:59 PM
bikeme

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 31 Posts
I'm terrible at remembering to stretch. However, I can offer a few tips: I don't like to, nor recommend stretching cold, as someone mentioned above. I do like it mid-ride or at the end. I also like rolling out with both the big roller and a roller stick. Remember, you don't have to lay your full body weight on the big roller. Support yourself so you only have some of your weight on it.
Old 01-02-20, 03:36 PM
SpinClassSara

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
I used to take a spin class which finished with yoga. I don't like to do too much since I'm super, super sweaty after spin but I agree that stretching is beneficial - specially with very warm muscles.
Likes For SpinClassSara:
Old 01-02-20, 04:21 PM
jim10040

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Weight training, to get the upper body working, yeah. Stretching? Yoga? UGH! Yeah, that's me, too. And it's not that fun when I'm doing the deep knee bends into a squat, and getting up I hear the popping and creaking like crazy. But it all really works! Just takes a little bit of time and a tiny bit of dedication to actually do it.
Likes For jim10040:
Old 01-02-20, 07:09 PM
Moishe
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 44 Posts

You‘re making a mistake, ‘Girl. Exercise numbs the mind and kills the soul. I ride a bike thousands of miles a year because I hate to exercise. In the winter, I ride my very own bike on a trainer and fantasize with Zwift. The best way to prepare for bike riding is bike riding.
Old 01-06-20, 05:14 PM
NomarsGirl

Survived spin class today. First time I have been back since the trainer nearly killed me. I was in too much pain for a couple of days and then work got in the way.
Old 01-08-20, 02:34 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts

I've been doing pilates over the past few months ... it's been good. Painful at times, but good. My hamstrings have a tiny bit more flexibility.
Old 01-08-20, 06:22 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts

Just one bit of advice about lifting. Be patient. Start with low weights and moderate reps. Slowly increase reps and, eventually, weight. Think of the journey as a century not a TT. I generally cycle from April into November and then it's back to the gym and home to my rollers. Good luck and have fun.
Old 01-08-20, 06:30 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
I should have mentioned that I alternate days at the gym between upper body and lower body. But, everyday I do a series of stretches that address my core and hips. I tend to go everyday and take Sunday off.
Old 01-08-20, 08:11 AM
NomarsGirl

Originally Posted by Machka
I've been doing pilates over the past few months ... it's been good. Painful at times, but good. My hamstrings have a tiny bit more flexibility.
I did a Pilates class right before I met with the trainer, so I'm not entirely sure who killed me. I do think I need to work on my flexibility a little bit. I don't need to be able to put my foot behind my ear, but a little more flexibility would be nice.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.