Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Peugeot question

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Peugeot question

Old 11-03-08, 09:29 PM
BayClick
crank

Bikes: Bianchi road bike, dont know much...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Peugeot question

hey all,

a friend of mine found a peugeot mixte frame from 77 with a cottered crank on it. but the chainring and crank are pretty bent... but today i found a peugeot road bike for cheap for parts!! that looks to be around the exact same years except it has a cotterless crank. are the bottom brackets the same? can i put the road bike stuff on the mixte?
Old 11-03-08, 10:39 PM
bluenote157

Bikes: Surly CC, Raleigh Team Pro, Specialized Rockhopper with an xtracycle

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the bb are different. I think with cottered cranks, the crank arm is pinched onto the spindle which is round??? Cotterless cranks have some sort of spline or square shape cavity where it meets the spindle.

I would take the bb/crank from the road bike and put on your mixte. One way to see if the bb are the same is to check and see if the lockrings unscrew the same way on both of the bikes. If they do, then you might be able to just do a direct swap.

What kind of cranks are on this road bike? If it is "newer" and not french, you might have to use the same pedals as well since the threading may not be french either???

Have a look at this thread...it might help.
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=480403

Last edited by bluenote157; 11-03-08 at 10:42 PM.
Old 11-04-08, 09:54 AM
evwxxx
FalconLvr

Bikes: 62 Falcon, 58 Raleigh Lenton Gran Prix, 74 Raleigh Pro, 75 Raleigh Int, 75 Raleigh Comp, 76 Colnago Super, 75 Crescent, 80 Peugeot PX10, plus others too numerous to mention!

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
The cottered spindle (axle) will not work with the cotterless unit. You may be able to just trade the axle and cranks from the one bike to the other, and keep cups same, but better to move as a unit (cups, spindle, cranks). Since they are both french, good chance it will work, but not certain, since at some point in the 80's Peugeot started using standard (rather then french) threaded BB's. If that is case, you will have to retain the old cups on the mixte and try to just do the spindle/crank trade.
Old 11-10-08, 10:59 PM
BayClick
crank

Bikes: Bianchi road bike, dont know much...

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well it worked! at least all the parts are matching.. but the cup by the crank is stuck on.. any tricks for removing stubborn ones?
Old 11-10-08, 11:35 PM
mswantak
Glutton for Punishment

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Don't bother; just clean and regrease it in place.
Old 11-11-08, 06:53 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Or take it to the nearest bike shop. I had one that I took to the shop yesterday that I could not get loose. They charged me $4......