Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Field Expedient chain breaker

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-19, 04:58 PM
tommymc

Bikes: Many, mostly old & low tech

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 11 Posts

I travel with an S & S coupled bike in a soft case. It's neater to pack with the chain (10 speed) broken by the speed link and rolled up in a separate container. At home I have a purposeful set of pliers for the job but don't want to carry such on the trip. Is there any way to break the chain link without a tool that doesn't result in greasy hands at the airport or hotel?
Old 12-24-19, 05:13 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts
Get a small breaker like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-CT-...229092&sr=8-18

Old 12-24-19, 05:44 PM
gerryl

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
If the reason you don't want to bring your pliers for your chain is weight, buy smaller lightweight pliers. I bought a little set of pliers ( about the length of my thumb ) to break/assemble my chain on Amazon a couple of years ago - they work fine. Also bring some latex gloves to keep your hands clean.
Old 12-24-19, 06:10 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts

There's also these tire levers that turn into quick link pliers (google "KMC Missing Link Lever"). I have them and they work for opening the quick link, but they're not very good tire irons IMO.

Last edited by tyrion; 12-24-19 at 06:20 PM.
Old 12-24-19, 06:27 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,201 Times in 2,357 Posts
Originally Posted by tommymc
I travel with an S & S coupled bike in a soft case. It's neater to pack with the chain (10 speed) broken by the speed link and rolled up in a separate container. At home I have a purposeful set of pliers for the job but don't want to carry such on the trip. Is there any way to break the chain link without a tool that doesn't result in greasy hands at the airport or hotel?
First don’t use oil based chain lube. That goes a long way to making the chain cleaner. I’ve used wax based lubricant...specifically White Lightning...throughout the US and never had any issues with it.

But for on the bike quick release pliers, check out Wolf Tooth Pack Pliers, it holds 2 extra links as well as having other features. There are also plastic versions of the pliers as well.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 12-24-19, 07:13 PM
hilltowner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by tommymc
...break the chain link without a tool that doesn't result in greasy hands at the airport or hotel?
Carry a pair, or more, of nitrile disposable gloves. With patience you can break the link by hand, then toss the gloves.
Likes For hilltowner:
Old 12-24-19, 08:12 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3452 Post(s)
Liked 1,452 Times in 1,131 Posts
Some times when I go to the Dr or Dentist office, i ask if I could have a few pair of their disposable gloves for emergency bike repairs, they are always happy to say yes and give me several pair. I usually keep a pair with my spare tube in case i have a flat at an inopportune time, keeps my gloves and bar tape cleaner that way.

I usually have found that the eight speed KMC quick links that I use, once I have disconnected them a couple of times that they come apart easy enough with two hands, no tools needed.

I also remove the chain, put it in a quart sized freezer zip lock with the quick link when I pack up my bike in an S&S case.

Originally Posted by tyrion
There's also these tire levers that turn into quick link pliers (google "KMC Missing Link Lever"). I have them and they work for opening the quick link, but they're not very good tire irons IMO.
I have never seen those or heard of them. Thanks for posting.
Old 12-24-19, 08:39 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
I've tried a plastic tire lever mentioned above to remove a quick link and one promptly broke. It was a clone though, not the KMC brand. I've recently bought the wolf tooth, but haven't tried it yet.

I've had good luck with the metal handle from a binder clip as well.
Likes For katsup:
Old 12-25-19, 06:42 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
Originally Posted by katsup
. I've had good luck with the metal handle from a binder clip as well.
These binder clip "handles" do work well. Strong and light. But none of these ideas work well if there is crud in the wee slots that the quick link pins ride in, one in each link half. Best to have something like a tooth brush or eyelash brush to sweep out those two slots, and the center of the link so it's all clean. Then the link can be compressed and released. It takes very little crud to prevent the quick link pins from popping out of the 'keyholes' and releasing.
Old 12-25-19, 02:06 PM
tommymc

Bikes: Many, mostly old & low tech

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 11 Posts
Field expedient chain breaker

The file clip looks perfect. Thanks to all.
Old 12-25-19, 02:35 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3370 Post(s)
Liked 5,491 Times in 2,844 Posts
There are 2 types of links:
a) Non-latching: e.g. SRAM 8s & 9s,
b) Latching; e.g. SRAM 10s.

KMC produces both types, and I have found KMC 10s chains may be packed with either one, with no indication on the box which is included.
- A non-latching link can be removed by hand.
- You will never remove a latching type w/o some type of mechanical tool.
Old 12-25-19, 03:37 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3452 Post(s)
Liked 1,452 Times in 1,131 Posts
Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
KMC produces both types, and I have found KMC 10s chains may be packed with either one, with no indication on the box which is included.
- A non-latching link can be removed by hand.
- You will never remove a latching type w/o some type of mechanical tool.
Thanks for the warning, I bought a 10 speed bike a year and a half ago, have not yet done any chain work on it so this was useful to know.
Old 12-26-19, 12:11 PM
bobh123

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Whatever method you choose, I suggest you try it at home on a chain on a bike that you have ridden some. Working with a new chain, or a worn chain, on a workbench, isn't very informative.

I've tried using my hands. I've tried using needlenose pliers. I've tried using cord. I've tried using baling wire. I've tried using the wire from a binder clip. I've tried all DIY methods I could discover that promised to open a quick link, hoping to find a method that was simple and reliable. None of them worked for me on 10 and 11 speed KMC master links. I have Park Tool master link pliers I use at home, and carry Wolf Tooth master link pliers in my on-bike took kit. They both work well. I'm still on the lookout for something better (smaller, lighter) for use on the side of the road, but haven't found it yet.
Old 12-26-19, 12:34 PM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 106 Posts
Perhaps a Connex quick link (no tool required)