Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Old 03-30-20, 09:56 AM
Salubrious

Bikes: Too many 3-speeds, Jones Plus LWB

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by Ged117
Hi folks. I'm just about at the test ride stage of this build. 700c wheels with sturmey archer four speed hub and dynohub. For those who have worked on dynohubs, what level of play at the hub when installed and tight is to be expected? I've followed the proper procedure for cones and what not. Just seems to have more than a hint of play. Chain line is 95 percent. It might need to be a bit tighter. I may adjust the wheel position in the dropouts. Before the pandemic hit I was going to have a more modern alloy 26mm seat post brought down to 24mm, but it's too late. For the moment I'm stuck with the old one. Apart from that the headset is original (and in great shape). Handlebar is a Sakae unit off of my Voyageur. Original mafac calipers with kool stop pads and the Dia Compe levers off the Voyageur. Thoughts on the dynohub play? The FW is shifting beautifully.
Generally speaking, one of the differences between four-speeds and 3-speeds is that there really shouldn't be any play in the cones of a four-speed.

At least here in Minnesota, bike shops are considered an 'essential industry' as they are in the transportation sector.
Likes For Salubrious:
Old 03-30-20, 11:35 AM
Ged117 

Bikes: 1951 Sun Wasp, 1953 Armstrong Consort, 1975 Raleigh Competition, 1980 Apollo Gran Sport, 1988 Schwinn Voyageur, Mystery MTB

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by Salubrious
Generally speaking, one of the differences between four-speeds and 3-speeds is that there really shouldn't be any play in the cones of a four-speed.

At least here in Minnesota, bike shops are considered an 'essential industry' as they are in the transportation sector.
Here in Ontario they may stay open as essential businesses too. A few local bike shops have. My go-to has decided to close, but there is another nearby for consumables if necessary.

Thanks for the tip about the cones. There is no discernible play in the four-speed hub. It is very smooth and the cranks do not rotate when the bike is pushed forward. Tomorrow is going to be sunny so I'm going to take the bike out at lunchtime for the shakedown.
Likes For Ged117:
Old 03-30-20, 12:56 PM
BigChief 

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
Just popping in to see how everyone is doing during this difficult time... this really is the thread that never ends.

I hope you are all doing well.
Good to see you. This is a great thread you started. I thought I was all alone with my English roadster hobby until I found this nice group.
Old 03-30-20, 01:22 PM
julius rensch

Bikes: 1972 Raleigh Tourist

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
glad to be here, Big Chief

Originally Posted by BigChief
Good to see you. This is a great thread you started. I thought I was all alone with my English roadster hobby until I found this nice group.
glad to be here Big Chief.....thanx for this ever popular topic...
while it's still abit to cold and windy, my old faithful Raleigh Tourist beckons..
as ever, Julius in Ohio
Old 03-30-20, 10:11 PM
thorstein

Bikes: 1969 Raleigh Twenty, 1975 Raleigh DL-1, 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport, 1989 Schwinn Voyageur

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by julius rensch
while it's still abit to cold and windy, my old faithful Raleigh Tourist beckons..
as ever, Julius in Ohio
Speaking of Tourists beckoning, I put mine together in "scorcher mode" as I've been treating the fenders & chain guard to remove rust & preserve the patina.

I got in a nice 20 mile spin, beautiful day today.

Likes For thorstein:
Old 03-30-20, 10:23 PM
jackbombay

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 266 Posts
Originally Posted by thorstein
Speaking of Tourists beckoning, I put mine together in "scorcher mode" as I've been treating the fenders & chain guard to remove rust & preserve the patina.

Head tube angle looks absurdly laid back on that bike, I see the rear tire is slightly lower than the front tire, but...
Old 03-31-20, 05:57 AM
BigChief 

I think the frame geometry is what makes these bikes so comfortable on poor road surfaces. My DL-1 is much nicer to ride on bumpy and gravel roads than my Sports.
Old 03-31-20, 07:12 AM
thorstein

Bikes: 1969 Raleigh Twenty, 1975 Raleigh DL-1, 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport, 1989 Schwinn Voyageur

Originally Posted by jackbombay
Head tube angle looks absurdly laid back on that bike, I see the rear tire is slightly lower than the front tire, but...
Yes, quite laid back; I think the lack of fenders accentuates the slack angles. It is such a smooth ride! I agree that the angles probably contribute to the ride quality, but I think the tall wide tires also play a part.

Braking has improved since I installed Kool Stop brake shoes, made some slight adjustments to the linkages, & got the wheels trued - not that the braking was that bad to begin with. I've never understood the comments about horrid stopping power with rod brakes, but maybe that's because the brakes on my Tourist were set up well when I got it?

The brakes on my Raleigh Twenty, that I understand! The rear calipers flex & even with new pads they don't grab the rim.
Old 03-31-20, 08:12 AM
BigChief 

Yes, quite laid back; I think the lack of fenders accentuates the slack angles. It is such a smooth ride! I agree that the angles probably contribute to the ride quality, but I think the tall wide tires also play a part.

Braking has improved since I installed Kool Stop brake shoes, made some slight adjustments to the linkages, & got the wheels trued - not that the braking was that bad to begin with. I've never understood the comments about horrid stopping power with rod brakes, but maybe that's because the brakes on my Tourist were set up well when I got it?

The brakes on my Raleigh Twenty, that I understand! The rear calipers flex & even with new pads they don't grab the rim.
Kool Stop inserts are the best pads I've found. I can see that you also have the proper distance between the brake levers and the hand grips. This helps a lot. Sometimes they get bent in too close and need to be bent out again. I also think there is some advantage to mount the front brake pads leading the stirrup like you have.
Old 03-31-20, 08:55 AM
thorstein

Kool Stop inserts are the best pads I've found. I can see that you also have the proper distance between the brake levers and the hand grips. This helps a lot. Sometimes they get bent in too close and need to be bent out again. I also think there is some advantage to mount the front brake pads leading the stirrup like you have.
With the front brake leading the stirrup and adjusted with minimum clearance it really grabs.
Old 03-31-20, 03:59 PM
JIMBO53

Bikes: 71 and 75 Raleigh Tourists

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 17 Posts
Here is my 1971 Tourist DL-1 w/28" wheels and rod brakes. Paint, chrome and Dunlop Roadster tires all original.

Likes For JIMBO53:
Old 03-31-20, 04:03 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2287 Post(s)
Liked 2,028 Times in 1,244 Posts
Originally Posted by JIMBO53
Here is my 1971 Tourist DL-1 w/28" wheels and rod brakes. Paint, chrome and Dunlop Roadster tires all original.
Bike of the week award! That's pristine and I love the presstube rack still in place. That's a hard one to find these days.
Likes For clubman:
Old 03-31-20, 08:53 PM
Iron Horse

Bikes: Western Flyer, Schwinn, Rollfast, Gambles, J.C. Higgins, Waverley, Crescent, Hercules, Nishiki, Huffy, Mohawk, AMF, Electra, A ridable replica hi-wheel and a few others.

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 19 Posts
With the front brake leading the stirrup and adjusted with minimum clearance it really grabs.
I have a 74 DL-1, could you explain what you are doing by leading the stirrup, please? I haven't done anything with mine yet, but when I do, I'd like to know how to efficiently set up the brakes.
Thanks!
Old 03-31-20, 10:51 PM
jackbombay

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 266 Posts
Originally Posted by JIMBO53

That bike is spectacular!!!!
Likes For jackbombay:
Old 04-01-20, 06:22 AM
Ged117 

Bikes: 1951 Sun Wasp, 1953 Armstrong Consort, 1975 Raleigh Competition, 1980 Apollo Gran Sport, 1988 Schwinn Voyageur, Mystery MTB

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by clubman
Bike of the week award! That's pristine and I love the presstube rack still in place. That's a hard one to find these days.
I have the original presstube rack for my Superbe. It looks to have been white and black. I'm thinking of refinishing it in a cream colour for my bike. Man is it a heavy part though...

I took the Peugeot with an FW alloy four-speed out for a shakedown ride yesterday. The FW shifts really nicely - I'm very happy about that. A few adjustments of the stem and seatpost to be made and of course handlebar tape.

Likes For Ged117:
Old 04-01-20, 06:56 AM
BigChief 

Originally Posted by Iron Horse
I have a 74 DL-1, could you explain what you are doing by leading the stirrup, please? I haven't done anything with mine yet, but when I do, I'd like to know how to efficiently set up the brakes.
Thanks!
Later Raleigh front rod brakes use arms that offset the pads from the center line of the stirrup. This was done to smooth out the braking action making it less grabby. You can either mount the pad assembly in front or behind the stirrup. Mounting it behind the stirrup would be "leading" considering the direction the wheel rotates.
Old 04-01-20, 07:34 AM
BigChief 

For anyone replacing rod brake pads the first time, I'll pass along my experience. Kool Stop salmon pads are meant to be used with the original Raleigh pad holders. The holders have a split tube formed into them that is closed at one end and open at the other. So you must be careful to mount the assembly on the bike in the right direction. What you do to install the new pads is open a vise just enough to catch the sides of the tube and use a hammer and punch to drift out the old pads and press the new ones in. The Kool Stop pads have curved tops that match the radius of the rim. Now, you can also buy Fibrax pads that come complete with holders that are closed on both ends, but they are not curved to match the rim. I suppose you are expected to let them wear into shape. I've tried this. It doesn't work. With only the front and rear edges of the pads contacting the rim, it's like having no brakes at all. I highly recommend using Kool Stops in the original pad holders.
Old 04-01-20, 08:53 AM
thorstein

For anyone replacing rod brake pads the first time, I'll pass along my experience. Kool Stop salmon pads are meant to be used with the original Raleigh pad holders.
Now, you can also buy Fibrax pads that come complete with holders that are closed on both ends, but they are not curved to match the rim. I suppose you are expected to let them wear into shape. I've tried this. It doesn't work. With only the front and rear edges of the pads contacting the rim, it's like having no brakes at all. I highly recommend using Kool Stops in the original pad holders.
I did a write up a bit ago on replacing brake shoes with pictures. It was maybe a bit over-done...

Rod brake shoe/pad install/remove
Old 04-01-20, 09:01 AM
Huszi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nice
Old 04-01-20, 11:10 AM
thorstein

Originally Posted by Iron Horse
Thanks!
Here is a picture showing how the brake shoe holder is leading the stirrup:

If the brake shoe is put on the other side, it isn't pushed up into the rim, so it doesn't grab as much.
Likes For thorstein:
Old 04-03-20, 01:53 AM
avecReynolds531

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 43 Posts
I've kindly been given this Elswick 1960 Light Roadster, as it was going to be thrown away. Here are a few photos, as first seen, after decades in a garage. I have no experience of classic 3 speed roadsters.

There's a lot of character there and I'm happy it has been saved from the bike graveyard. Looking forward to catching up on a genre of bike I've completely missed out on, and a return

to the road for this lovely old bike.
Likes For avecReynolds531:
Old 04-03-20, 07:24 AM
julius rensch

Bikes: 1972 Raleigh Tourist

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
avec Reynolds

Love that vintage Elswick...first that I have heard of that brand...is it an offshoot of Rudge or Raleigh?

Julius in Ohio
Likes For julius rensch:
Old 04-03-20, 07:29 AM
Kilroy1988 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,838 Times in 608 Posts
Originally Posted by julius rensch
Love that vintage Elswick...first that I have heard of that brand...is it an offshoot of Rudge or Raleigh?

Julius in Ohio
Absolutely not... It's an old brand with a rich heritage! In fact it was one of few big UK bicycle manufacturers to evade being sucked in by the whole TI Raleigh business.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elswick_Hopper
Likes For Kilroy1988:
Old 04-03-20, 07:35 AM
gster

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked 434 Times in 286 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
Just popping in to see how everyone is doing during this difficult time... this really is the thread that never ends.

I hope you are all doing well.
Yes...
Look what you started!
Old 04-03-20, 07:38 AM
gster

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked 434 Times in 286 Posts

That bike looks like it really wants to go somewhere...
Likes For gster:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.