Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Hot Hands toe warmers: why not top of feet?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 06-26-20, 09:17 PM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 73 Posts

These come with a warning not to use on top of feet. Wondering why that would be?
(am wanting to try at top/forward-end of sock rather than below to see if they work as well).
Old 06-26-20, 09:51 PM
RGMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 152 Posts
I use them on the tops all the time, usually between the shoe and the bootie. They aren't as efficient warming your toes but they do work there. We do the same thing when XC skiing, the warmer goes on the top of the boot over the toes before the boot cover goes on. Make sure they are already warm before doing this, sometimes on the ski boots you won't get enough air to get them started but once they are going they seem to keep going.
Old 06-26-20, 11:34 PM
tangerineowl

^ thanks. Tried them out for an hour or so. Not as toasty as I thought they'd be, but there is some warmth there.

Seem like they fit ok also on the back of the palm! Going to give that a proper shot between glove and liner.
Old 06-27-20, 05:02 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3634 Post(s)
Liked 5,311 Times in 2,699 Posts
I've always stuck them on top of my socks, didn't even know it was wrong. I don't think I'd like feeling them under foot but I can see that might be warmer.
Old 06-27-20, 09:49 AM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 170 Posts
I use them for hunting in late November December also. When I’m sitting in a stand or blind and it’s sub freezing I place them between my liner socks and thicker wool socks. I put them on top my foot and below in the toe box of my insulated boot.

I can do the same thing for winter cycling but my feet don’t get as cold as still hunting.
Old 06-27-20, 09:56 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 320 Posts
use them wherever you want, you will be the best judge
Old 06-27-20, 09:59 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10897 Post(s)
Liked 7,384 Times in 4,144 Posts
Wondered why a thread about hot hands was started in the summer, then checked the OP's location.
funny.
Old 06-27-20, 10:00 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Originally Posted by tangerineowl
These come with a warning not to use on top of feet. Wondering why that would be?
(am wanting to try at top/forward-end of sock rather than below to see if they work as well).
I imagine there's more of a chance (albeit still really tiny?) that could burn on top.. lot thinner skin on the tops of feet/toes.. and where all your veins/arteries are visible.
Old 06-27-20, 08:48 PM
tangerineowl

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I imagine there's more of a chance (albeit still really tiny?) that could burn on top.. lot thinner skin on the tops of feet/toes.. and where all your veins/arteries are visible.
Could be right. Thought maybe something happened years ago. They got sued and so had to put that warning on label!

Had them in my trouser pockets a bit later. End of day wondered where the red marks came from
Old 06-28-20, 08:40 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 608 Posts
A while back, I bought real winter cycling shoes, and avoided all the 'tricks' trying to keep my toes warm.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 06-28-20, 10:25 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Quoted: 1072 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 475 Posts
My take is that they get hotter and don't last as long in an oxygen rich environment. I suppose they could burn but in freezing cold weather, I don't see it. They definitely have more airflow on the top, with vents, than on the bottom.

I climbed a few 20k+ peaks in Peru. Early in the trip, at a col just below the final obstacle, a 1000' "easy" ice climb. I figured with hanging belays I'd be colder, so put foot warmers in my boots. They never got going and took up space in the boots. I ended up with some minor nip because of this. On the decent, while slogging down the glacier the next day, I noticed them come to life. By this point they were in my pocket. I think it was approximately 16k' or so, and they started working. More than 24 hours after I removed the package.

Lesson learned. A quality pair of socks and some room to wiggle my toes kept me warmer.

My toes occasionally go numb in any weather on the bike. Depending on the shoes. I could see freezing a foot and not realizing it until too late. I put dog doo bags over my socks, the put on shoes. Keeps the wind off.
Old 06-28-20, 11:04 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,662 Times in 2,496 Posts
I have had a lot more of a problem with them not heating because of lack of oxygen as opposed to getting too hot. I prefer not to have them in close contact with skin.
Old 06-28-20, 12:20 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 608 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I have had a lot more of a problem with them not heating because of lack of oxygen as opposed to getting too hot. I prefer not to have them in close contact with skin.
Yes, I didn't find them very effective. And they also don't work well if they're old.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html