Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Treadmill

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-20, 08:49 AM
themp

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 44 Posts
Treadmill

The summer heat has put a dent in my riding and going to the gym is not likely till a vaccine comes about for COVID(I am over 65). So, I would like to supplement my riding by using an indoor treadmill. Not really into an indoor bicycle trainer as I would like to have the impact of walking/running. Any recommendation for a treadmill in the $1500 and lower price range?
Old 07-24-20, 11:41 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by themp
The summer heat has put a dent in my riding and going to the gym is not likely till a vaccine comes about for COVID(I am over 65). So, I would like to supplement my riding by using an indoor treadmill. Not really into an indoor bicycle trainer as I would like to have the impact of walking/running. Any recommendation for a treadmill in the $1500 and lower price range?
we’ve used a Sole F80 for the last ~12 years. Solidly built and reliable. You should also consider an indoor rower for some real cross-training and upper body/core conditioning - easier on the joints also. Concept 2 is the industry standard - I’ve used one since ‘97 - I think they’re literally unbreakable
Old 07-24-20, 03:47 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Treadmills are a waste of time and money for a cyclist …You should buy some weights and start doing strength training to supplement your cycling
Old 07-26-20, 07:27 AM
roskobosko

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Cycling is Non-Weight Bearing.

The primary reason for cyclists having low bone density is that it is a non-weight bearing activity. High level cycling in particular has been shown to have negative effects on bone strength because of the amount of time cyclists spend training and riding.

Weight-bearing and resistance exercises are the best for your bones. Weight-bearing exercises force you to work against gravity. They include walking, hiking, jogging, climbing stairs, playing tennis, and dancing. Resistance exercises – such as lifting weights – can also strengthen bones.

Treadmills are not a waste of time. You might also consider resistance bands instead of free weights, less chance of injury, inexpensive, store anywhere, workout anywhere, and take them with you when you travel.
Likes For roskobosko:
Old 07-26-20, 08:18 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,960 Times in 943 Posts
I once used a Pro-form treadmill for about 10 years. Thought I was in pretty good shape until I took up hiking in the hills/mountains. Treadmills give you the illusion of fitness IMHO. Hiking and trail jogging was much more difficult and got me in far better cardiovascular shape.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 07-26-20, 12:11 PM
Jaco7

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Treadmills are a waste of time and money for a cyclist …You should buy some weights and start doing strength training to supplement your cycling
agreed.
Old 07-26-20, 12:18 PM
Greenhil

Bikes: 2018 Kona Rove NRB, 2121 Kona Libre

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 26 Posts
Treadmill and weights (or resistance bands). Don’t agree that treadmills are a waste - in addition to the bone strengthening aspects of running, there are aerobic and anaerobic benefits.
Old 07-26-20, 12:47 PM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
Get a good spin bike. For 1500.00 you can get a decent one. Those things give you a great workout. We put a stereo and tv in the garage and do Les mills on demand.
Old 07-26-20, 08:28 PM
Moonshae

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Sport 2020

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just ordered a Sole F80. The wait is currently listed as 45 days, but I want it for when the weather turns bad. It seems to get great reviews.
Old 07-26-20, 08:44 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Walk-Run outside. It's free, and more interesting.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 07-26-20, 10:30 PM
themp

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
Walk-Run outside. It's free, and more interesting.
That is the problem. I am at an age that running/cycling outside in anything greater than 90 degrees is not fun and my body does not respond well or recover well. The gym was good in that I could run on a treadmill for 40 minutes and then lift weights using their various machines. The running on the treadmill in an air conditioned environment allowed me to get my heart rate up to a good level for that period of time. I got hot but not a heat exhaustion feeling from running outside in 90+ temperatures. And when winter comes I tend to stop cycling and just do the gym. But that is not going to happen for a while, thus the treadmill. Spin bike is out because their is no impact happening for your bones. Thanks for the responses that Sole F80 looks nice.
Likes For themp:
Old 07-27-20, 02:29 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
If you want to stress the legs a bit more, try a stepper at a gym and see if it suits you. Or with a spin bike or regular bike on a trainer, stand to pedal as long as you can as many times as you can. It's harder than it looks, much harder than seated pedaling.

That's my indoor trainer routine in bad weather, and I do the same stuff outdoors including on Sunday's ride. I was on my 30 lb hybrid with albatross swept bars (all of my road bikes are disassembled for repairs) and planned on an easy spin, but I noticed a new housing development with several climbs up to 1/2 mile each, so I did several standing climb repeats. Mostly low cadence, high gear, since I wasn't planning on a hard workout and was still about 20 miles from home on a 90F day. But it was a good workout.

If you decide to try more standing pedaling routines on a trainer, be sure the trainer and bike are suited for that. I use an old steel road bike on a basic Cycleops trainer, no problems. But no feedback either, other than my heart rate monitor. Yeah, there's a speed and cadence meter, but I don't pay much attention to that unless I'm doing high cadence drills. The speedometer on that type of trainer setup is meaningless -- the same perceived effort outdoors never translates to the same speed. I'm too cheap to buy a power meter so I just use the heart rate monitor as a guide.
Old 07-27-20, 05:46 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4731 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
A bit off the topic if you're looking for impact exercise, but a worthwhile reference/guide for core exercises to add to your regimen.
https://www.amazon.com/Tom-Danielson...s%2C265&sr=8-1
Old 07-27-20, 07:46 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by roskobosko
Cycling is Non-Weight Bearing.

The primary reason for cyclists having low bone density is that it is a non-weight bearing activity. High level cycling in particular has been shown to have negative effects on bone strength because of the amount of time cyclists spend training and riding.

Weight-bearing and resistance exercises are the best for your bones. Weight-bearing exercises force you to work against gravity. They include walking, hiking, jogging, climbing stairs, playing tennis, and dancing. Resistance exercises – such as lifting weights – can also strengthen bones.

Treadmills are not a waste of time. You might also consider resistance bands instead of free weights, less chance of injury, inexpensive, store anywhere, workout anywhere, and take them with you when you travel.
Interesting use of bold font.
Old 07-27-20, 07:51 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by themp
That is the problem. I am at an age that running/cycling outside in anything greater than 90 degrees is not fun and my body does not respond well or recover well. The gym was good in that I could run on a treadmill for 40 minutes and then lift weights using their various machines. The running on the treadmill in an air conditioned environment allowed me to get my heart rate up to a good level for that period of time. I got hot but not a heat exhaustion feeling from running outside in 90+ temperatures. And when winter comes I tend to stop cycling and just do the gym. But that is not going to happen for a while, thus the treadmill. Spin bike is out because their is no impact happening for your bones. Thanks for the responses that Sole F80 looks nice.
Ignore the haters. The most important aspect of any type of excersise equipment is that you want to use it.

If you think you will use it, get it.

We got an F80 about 10 years ago, It has been rock solid. I hate using treadmills (I wish I did not) but my wife likes it uses it a bit when the weather is unfavorable.

Last edited by Kapusta; 07-27-20 at 07:57 AM.
Old 07-27-20, 08:34 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
I've owned 2 treadmills and didn't spend more than 1500 bucks and they were satisfactory. The higher quality ones at the gym I'm sure cost more than 1500 though.
But the main thing to focus on is motor horsepower. You'll need a minimum of 3hp. Also (like a bike) regular maintenance will keep it going for years.
Bottom line, look for 3hp models and then the most bells and whistles (fan, monitor, elevation, etc..) you can get for under 1500.
Happy hunting.
Old 07-27-20, 08:41 AM
gios

Bikes: 2021 Litespeed T5 105, 1990 Gios Compact Pro 105

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 182 Posts
For weather days I have my rower. Got a Concept 2 Model D.
Old 07-27-20, 09:22 AM
Danhedonia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 95 Posts
I get the weight-bearing/non-weight-bearing thing, but would not mind if someone with real knowledge explained the 'impact' part of the equation. I have arthritis, and took up walking in order to get fit for cycling. The cycling is to lose weight and improve cardiovascular function (I have a couple of mild heart issues).

Am I ... supposed to be seeking 'impact' to help bone density?