Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Schwinn Voyageur vs Schwinn Passage

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Schwinn Voyageur vs Schwinn Passage

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-13, 06:08 PM
john hawrylak

Bikes: 1975 Schwinn Voyageur II (Made by Panasonic), 1988 Schwinn Voyaguer (touring)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cooperryder
Has anyone actually measured the angles to see if in reality it is a 74 degree STA as the catalog states?
I measured the angles on my 21" 88 Voyageur with a Wixley 300 digitial angle finder.
STA = 74° HTA = 71° 21" frame

The cataolog gives differnet values but I think it states a 23" frame
Old 01-05-13, 07:34 AM
Gravity Aided

Bikes: Trek 600 ,1980Raleigh Competition G.S., 1986 Schwinn Passage, Facet Biotour 2000, Falcon San Remo 531,Schwinn Sierra, Sun Seeker tricycle recumbent,1985 Bianchi Squadra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by shadoman
I have a Passage in Imperial Rose, also. The 1986 catalog specs are correct for my bike when I purchased it new.
From what I have read elsewhere, that's a 1987 Passage , Schwinn used the Imperial Rose from the Voyaguers to finish out production . I believe the Passage was offered in 1987, just not in the catalogue .
I've posted this in other threads but here's one .

With the hipsters ,by the bookstore and cofeehouse downtown . Restoration, 700cs , and a proper front rack are all New Years Resolutions for 2013

Last edited by Gravity Aided; 01-05-13 at 07:38 AM.
Old 01-05-13, 07:44 AM
Gravity Aided

Bikes: Trek 600 ,1980Raleigh Competition G.S., 1986 Schwinn Passage, Facet Biotour 2000, Falcon San Remo 531,Schwinn Sierra, Sun Seeker tricycle recumbent,1985 Bianchi Squadra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Also , I love the Passage, and the only Voyageur I've had was too small . I think you have 2 great bikes there. I don't think you could go wrong fixing up either of these bikes .
Old 01-05-13, 10:18 AM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by mainstreetexile
Interesting, why's that: geometry? weight?
+ aero. Putting aside the Voyageur is tipping 30lbs when dressed, those 36/40h stock box wheelsets are like eggbeaters going down the road, add in everything else - including bigger tires - it's tough to maintain a cruising speed over 16mph, at least for me. Add in long hills and -you get the picture. Compare to a full carbon roubaix, 16/24h wheelset with GP4000s, the Voyageur feels like going down the road in a wheelchair. Nothing but love for the SV, but if average speed / elapsed time is a consideration the SV stays in the garage.

As for Miyatas, I own or have owned 8 of them, one is a daily commuter. They are nice bikes, but not that different than other Japanese bikes of the era, as Cycle_Maven says, some of which appear to use Miyata manu frames or similar build geometry.

Last edited by FrenchFit; 01-05-13 at 10:31 AM.
Old 01-06-13, 12:20 AM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
Miyata introduced the splined triple butted tubing in 85 was unlike any other Japanese frame of the era, they had very little flex and were probably the best steel frame made back then by any country; later Miyata sold those splined tubesets to Univega for use on their SuperStrada. So Sheldon Brown is probably correct when he said the 1000 was the best touring frame made at that time.

The reason Panasonic made some of the Miyata tubesets was because they owned shares in Miyata; and Univega frames all came from Miyata. This is why too that Miyata bikes came with Panaracer tires. Also the history of butted steel tubing is a bit murky, but most historians have given the nod to Miyata for inventing the process.
Old 09-09-20, 06:05 AM
rossiny

Bikes: Trek 970, Bianchi Volpe,Casati

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 87 Posts
Old thread, old tourer

Hope a Schwinn expert🕵️‍♂️ picks up this thread I have a gray Passage. It definitely looks original , wonder when it got this color? It also has the Schwinn badge in front that says Schwinn /Chicago ??
where was it made and why is it grey most cataloged as blue?
I had a beige voyageur, but had serious toe overlap.
the previous owner had some very good componsnts and wheels on it. I found a mint Passage and switched over all the componants . I am liking it. The frame takes very wide touring tires no problem and for some reason the newer 700c wheels line up with the original dia-comp brakes perfectly on the Passage frame, not so on the Voyageur frame. It makes a great all-rounder .👍 I just need to buy a good touring rack for the back and touring pedals, touring seat. The front i got lucky and found a rack that was original for the higher mount front rack. 👍
ps , the Passage has no overlap issue, the Voyaguer which had champion tubing has serious toe overlap. The Passage for me was way better fit even though same frame size ...

Last edited by rossiny; 09-09-20 at 06:14 AM.
Old 09-09-20, 07:23 AM
4funbikes

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 22 Posts
Another happy Passage owner here.
I don't think it's been mentioned here yet, but allegedly the Passages were built in the Greenville factory.
Is that a selling point? No. But it does add some intrigue (to me at least, as it sits next to my Greenville Cimarron)
Likes For 4funbikes:
Old 09-09-20, 09:31 PM
rossiny

Usa

Originally Posted by 4funbikes
Another happy Passage owner here.
I don't think it's been mentioned here yet, but allegedly the Passages were built in the Greenville factory.
Is that a selling point? No. But it does add some intrigue (to me at least, as it sits next to my Greenville Cimarron)
SO you think the Grey Passages were made here in USA? Amazing. ! I have ridden it a few times and I really like it. I will be picking out touring pedals and seat, , pedals rear rack...
Old 09-09-20, 11:32 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
I had an 86 in the Catalog blue and really liked it -economics forced a sale or I'd likely still have it. My theory is that Schwinn had paint from other models they needed to use up and/or ran out of blue or both which is why you see some Passages in other colors. Either way the Tenex Frame is a nice rider. Enjoy rossiny

86 Passage
Likes For ryansu:
Old 09-10-20, 05:45 AM
john hawrylak

Bikes: 1975 Schwinn Voyageur II (Made by Panasonic), 1988 Schwinn Voyaguer (touring)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rossiny
Hope a Schwinn expert🕵️‍♂️ picks up this thread I have a gray Passage. It definitely looks original , wonder when it got this color? It also has the Schwinn badge in front that says Schwinn /Chicago ??
where was it made and why is it grey most cataloged as blue?
I had a beige voyageur, but had serious toe overlap.
the previous owner had some very good componsnts and wheels on it. I found a mint Passage and switched over all the componants . I am liking it. The frame takes very wide touring tires no problem and for some reason the newer 700c wheels line up with the original dia-comp brakes perfectly on the Passage frame, not so on the Voyageur frame. It makes a great all-rounder .👍 I just need to buy a good touring rack for the back and touring pedals, touring seat. The front i got lucky and found a rack that was original for the higher mount front rack. 👍
ps , the Passage has no overlap issue, the Voyaguer which had champion tubing has serious toe overlap. The Passage for me was way better fit even though same frame size ...

Strange to hear your Voyaguer had serious TCO. My 88 Voyaguer 21" frame has 10mm clearance to the front fender with 170mm cranks and Shimano PD1050 clipless pedals. Measured STA is 74°, HTA is 71°, and measured TTL is 54cm. Schwinn supplied the 1988 21" model with 170mm cranks (Shimano FC-B124 Biopace). The slacker HTA certainty helps avoid TCO.

John Hawrylak
Woodstown NJ
Old 09-10-20, 06:12 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,699 Times in 935 Posts
Originally Posted by EdgewaterDude
Pretty much the one thing I don't like about my voyageur is a 74 degree STA. In conjunction with a brooks saddle, my fit isn't where I want it to be. I think I'd be much more suited to a 72 or 72.5 degree STA.
Originally Posted by FrenchFit

As far as lusting over the bike you don't have,...you might find you're missing nothing. If you get the chance, ask to borrow someone's dream bike and see if you still want to lust over it afterwards. If you are acquiring bikes based on their 'status', then you'll never be happy with what you have.
These two quotes are words of great wisdom.

As this is a really old post, it may be worth noting I ended up buying Edgewater Dude’s Voyageur frame and rode it for a few years and completely agree with his observations about the seat tube angle. Both my old Voyageur and my Voyageur SP have that steep STA, which makes saddle choice a bit difficult and it makes your cockpit feel a bit cramped when compared to other tourers; in fact, the whole bike seems “smaller.” It doesn’t take long to get used to again- but it is interesting how Schwinn designed them.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Likes For The Golden Boy:
Old 09-10-20, 07:49 AM
cooperryder

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 1,508 Times in 409 Posts
Glad this thread was revived.

I think its been around 2 to 2.5 years I've owned a dark blue 86 Passage and it has become one of my favorites.

I'm running upright bars and thumb shifters.
It was no problem switching over to 700c wheels using the original cantilevers.

The tires in picture are 700x40 true to size.
There's not a lot of clearance in the rear but adequate for my riding.
I tried 700x42 for a while but that was causing some rubbing of the stays.
I consider having the stays indented a bit more but I like the ride fine with the 40mm wide tires.

I've owned 3 Voyageurs, a Centurion Pro Tour, Miyata 1000 and 610, as well as a Specialized Expedition.

I liked them all but I don't think the Passage gives up a lot to those renown tourers.

I find it to have a smooth, comfortable and stable ride for my purposes.

One issue that's been pointed out in other threads is it has a more narrow spacing of the canti mounting posts which prevents using some more modern cantilever brakes.

I tried several and finally gave up and went back to the originals with new pads and they stop well enough for me.

On one thread a fellow liked his Passage enough to have new canti posts and other mods done.
I like that the Passage is a bit of a 'sleeper' and less known vintage tourer .

Another difference in the catalog specs is the Passage is listed as having a bit longer wheelbase than the Voyageur....not much, 41.25 vs 41.50" for whatever that's worth.

As to fork weight difference I would be surprised if it's 1/4th pound if that.

I think I have it written down somewhere as I usually write down the bare frame / fork weights when I strip a bike down to rebuild.

Last edited by cooperryder; 09-10-20 at 08:25 AM.
Likes For cooperryder:
Old 09-10-20, 09:32 AM
4funbikes

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by rossiny
SO you think the Grey Passages were made here in USA? Amazing. ! I have ridden it a few times and I really like it. I will be picking out touring pedals and seat, , pedals rear rack...
I'd think all passages were made in Greenville. I've seen some anomaly paint jobs from other known Greenville bikes as well.
A quick search led me to an excerpt from the 1986 catalog stating 7 out of 14 lightweight models were produced in Greenville in 1986. Traveler, LeTour, Passage, Prelude, Madison, Tempo, and Super Sport.

Of course there could have been some discrepancies. Schwinn was scrambling at this point, and I wouldn't be surprised if some batches of any of those models were made overseas.
Likes For 4funbikes:
Old 09-10-20, 08:44 PM
rossiny

Champion tubing

Originally Posted by john hawrylak
Strange to hear your Voyaguer had serious TCO. My 88 Voyaguer 21" frame has 10mm clearance to the front fender with 170mm cranks and Shimano PD1050 clipless pedals. Measured STA is 74°, HTA is 71°, and measured TTL is 54cm. Schwinn supplied the 1988 21" model with 170mm cranks (Shimano FC-B124 Biopace). The slacker HTA certainty helps avoid TCO.

John Hawrylak
Woodstown NJ
i found it strange about about the toe overlap also. ? It was not the Columbus, but the champion tube​​​​​d. Was a shame because I noticed both the fork and rear ttriangle, had chrome under the paint and looked very well made. I know it would not be an issue except for tight turns, but fir a commuter/ tourer I personally don't like toe overlap.
The Columbus tutubePassage has clearance for wider tires and fenders.

Last edited by rossiny; 09-10-20 at 08:53 PM.
Old 09-12-20, 11:28 AM
john hawrylak

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
As this is a really old post, it may be worth noting I ended up buying Edgewater Dude’s Voyageur frame and rode it for a few years and completely agree with his observations about the seat tube angle. Both my old Voyageur and my Voyageur SP have that steep STA, which makes saddle choice a bit difficult and it makes your cockpit feel a bit cramped when compared to other tourers; in fact, the whole bike seems “smaller.” It doesn’t take long to get used to again- but it is interesting how Schwinn designed them.
Golden Boy

I agree about the steep STA on the Voyaguer (74° on the 21" frame). They had use it to keep TTL in check (54cm on the 21") and adequate to prevent TCO. I use a 7cm Nittto Technomic (Bars even with saddle) and RH Radonnuer bars (115mm C-E) to get a very good position. Only problem is knees in front of spindle by 2 to 3 cm with saddle full back,

The 28.6mm seatpost does nt help, since they are scare as hens teeth and longer setback post are simply N/A. Result of Schwinn suing a Straight Gauge 1-1/8" 0.9mm seat tube vs a butted 0.9-0.7 permitting a standard 27.2mm post.

John Hawrylak
Woodstown NJ, the garden spot of the Garden State