Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Identifying Bianchi SBX

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-19, 02:33 AM
Hamzak

Bikes: Concorde colombo 1980s, Bianchi SBX 1990s

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Identifying Bianchi SBX

Dear bike experts,

I recently bought my first bianchi! But I have a hard time identifying the bike. Could someone please help?

I know it is a SBX frame. It has 80’s decayls. Gipiemme dorpouts. A vintage bike repairshop told me that the bottom bracket is 68mm and therefore BSA threaded. And the colour schema is Celeste and metalic blue (as the blue in the decayls). But I can’t find out which model it is. And if it is japanese or italian made.

Is somebody familiar with this model?

btw I can’t post pictures.... I first need to post 10 times before uploading them.

greetings
hamzak
Old 09-06-19, 06:08 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
It's definitely an Italian manufactured frame, based on the Gipiemme dropouts. However, it appears to be a Superest II frame with the down tube that is oval at the bottom bracket end. If so, it is not 1980s but 1990s. That means that it's at least a re-decal and possibly a repaint. Consequently, the tubing decal may not be OEM. You'll have to remove the bottom bracket and check inside the bottom bracket ends of the tubes, to determine if it has the helical reinforcement that are indicative of SBX.

During this era, these frames were sold separately and as complete bicycles. As frames, they were known simply by the tubeset. So, if this actually turns out to be SBX, then it would simply be a Bianchi SBX.

Link to OP's photo gallery: https://www.bikeforums.net/g/picture/15104396
Old 09-06-19, 08:50 AM
Hamzak

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
It's definitely an Italian manufactured frame, based on the Gipiemme dropouts. However, it appears to be a Superest II frame with the down tube that is oval at the bottom bracket end. If so, it is not 1980s but 1990s. That means that it's at least a re-decal and possibly a repaint. Consequently, the tubing decal may not be OEM. You'll have to remove the bottom bracket and check inside the bottom bracket ends of the tubes, to determine if it has the helical reinforcement that are indicative of SBX.
Ok that helps! I already plannend to take it to the bikeshop next week. I will see if they can remove the bottom bracket. But whats a helical reinforcement?

You could also be wright about the paint and decayls. You can feel where the colours change. And the decayls are coming lose on one side.
Old 09-06-19, 10:59 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by Hamzak
Ok that helps! I already plannend to take it to the bikeshop next week. I will see if they can remove the bottom bracket. But whats a helical reinforcement?

You could also be wright about the paint and decayls. You can feel where the colours change. And the decayls are coming lose on one side.
If the down tube goes from round to oval at the bottom bracket shell, then it's a Superset II frame and definitely 1990s, in which case the decals are incorrect replacements.

In 1984, Columbus added thin, narrow, helical ridges on the inside of the bottom bracket ends of the down tube, seat tube and chain stays of their SL and SP tubesets, thus creating their SLX and SPX tubesets. In the 1990s, Bianchi called their version, as used in the Superset II frames, SBX. Superset II SBX frames used heavier gauge (ie. SPX gauge) in the down tube and chain stays with lighter gauge (i.e. SLX) elsewhere. The heavier gauge down tube and chain stays contributed to additional bottom bracket stiffness, which was further enhanced by making the bottom bracket end of the down tube oval, with the major axis oriented laterally. Attached is a picture of a section of an SLX/SPX tube, showing the helical ridges.
Old 09-06-19, 03:07 PM
historecycled

Bikes: 1953 Schwinn World Traveler, 1938 Schwinn Electric, 19?? Bianchi Sport, 1973 Royce Union, 2013 Cervelo S5.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also just found and bought a Bianchi Sport Commuter Bike that I think is from the 1940's. I have not been able to find a chart for serial numbers. Any comments would be much appreciated. I also don't know how to add photos to the forum.
Old 09-06-19, 06:30 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2925 Post(s)
Liked 2,921 Times in 1,489 Posts
Is this blue or Black?

It is interesting that the '92 catalog shows these with the horizontal dropouts. The '93 shows the frame only as having horizontal dropouts but the built bike has vertical dropouts. I wonder when the switch was actually made.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 09-07-19, 01:41 AM
Hamzak

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Is this blue or Black?
It’s blue. Kind of metallic blue. The bianchi logo on the front of the bike is blue as well.

Can I find these catalogs somewhere?
Old 09-20-19, 02:00 AM
Hamzak

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok. So I went to the bikeshop to get the BB fixed. But the BB is quite fixed and the bikeshop owner said he would probably need to head the frame to get it out, damaging the paint. So I will do this later when I'm going to fix the paint and decayls on the frame.

Now there seems to be a new problem. I wanted to replace the headset on the bike, because it doesn't look right and is to tight. But the tube on the front fork seems be to short to replace it by a campagnolo headset (or any other normal one).

Strange bike....

Does anyone know where to find catalogs of the SBX series? I'm really interested in the bike's history.
Old 09-20-19, 03:28 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2434 Post(s)
Liked 3,108 Times in 1,957 Posts
I didn't know that Italian made Bianchis were ever specified with BSA bottom brackets. I always just assumed that the Tange Bianchis were made that way. Learned something new...
Old 09-21-19, 03:17 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Ok. So I went to the bikeshop to get the BB fixed. But the BB is quite fixed and the bikeshop owner said he would probably need to head the frame to get it out, damaging the paint. So I will do this later when I'm going to fix the paint and decayls on the frame.

that sounds strange. What brand BB and are they turning the right way?

Now there seems to be a new problem. I wanted to replace the headset on the bike, because it doesn't look right and is to tight. But the tube on the front fork seems be to short to replace it by a campagnolo headset (or any other normal one).

this is why I hate cutting forks. Those headsets look cool but cutting a steerer that short is a bad idea.

Strange bike....

Does anyone know where to find catalogs of the SBX series? I'm really interested in the bike's history.
what do you want to know? It seems be a short lived tubeset.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 09-24-19, 02:15 AM
Hamzak

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The bottom bracket is BSA and I think the current one is a Shimano. Type unknown. The guy from the bikeshop hasn't tried to get it off, but he predicted he would probably damage the paint.

Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
what do you want to know? It seems be a short lived tubeset.
I want to know more about the SBX series. Maybe some folders or info. I have searched the internet, but there is not much about the SBX series.

I want to know it, because (like you said) it seems to be a short lived tubeset and I want to know if it's worth the money to paint and repair it. Since it is going to need a longer front fork and new headset. And I want to change to BB for a campa. Oh and then, why not also do a new paintjob?
Old 09-25-19, 11:25 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

What’s wrong with the paint?

Can you post some some good pics of the BB?

As for the fork, the best thing there is to find a frame builder who can replace the steerer. I had it done to two forks a few years ago. I got two Tange Steelers from... Nova Cycle supply I think, and sent them to a builder. He did a fabulous job and you have to what you are looking for to spot it.

I’ll try and dig up what information I can on the tubes but like all of Bianchi’s customer tubes there isn’t much.

I don’t think the SBX frames will be as sought after as the X-4, Centenario or a few other bikes but it is sure to be a good rider.

What size is it? If it is a 59 you can send it to me and I’ll give it good home.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk

Last edited by Bianchigirll; 09-25-19 at 11:31 AM.
Old 09-25-19, 12:56 PM
Hamzak

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey bianchigirl,

Thank you for your the reply. To be honest, the paint is still in quite good condition, some minor chips. Only the decayls are falling apart on one side.

I was thinking of sending it to a builder. I got a tip for a good builder that can replace the steerer and also the decayls, and if I want paint the bike (for a fair price). With shipping it would just be cheaper doing it al at ones. But maybe it would also be nice to keep the paint as it is.

The size is 59/60, but it is not my intension to sell it. Always wanted a Bianchi. Don't know why. And I like repairing bikes and just ride them. Nice to know that you can make something go again. So for now I'm just taking my time to repair it slowly. But if I am really done with the bike and I want to sell it, I will let you know.
Old 09-28-19, 04:55 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Hey bianchigirl,

Thank you for your the reply. To be honest, the paint is still in quite good condition, some minor chips. Only the decayls are falling apart on one side.

I was thinking of sending it to a builder. I got a tip for a good builder that can replace the steerer and also the decayls, and if I want paint the bike (for a fair price). With shipping it would just be cheaper doing it al at ones. But maybe it would also be nice to keep the paint as it is.

The size is 59/60, but it is not my intension to sell it. Always wanted a Bianchi. Don't know why. And I like repairing bikes and just ride them. Nice to know that you can make something go again. So for now I'm just taking my time to repair it slowly. But if I am really done with the bike and I want to sell it, I will let you know.
I thought I posted a page from the '93 catalog a few days ago. Anyway in the US catalogs the SBX frames are offered in '92. '93, '94 but there is no information on the composition of the tubeset. To the best of my knowledge the tubeset comprises a SLX tubeset with the heavier and oversized DT and chainstays to get the SuperSet II frame.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 11-13-19, 06:15 PM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 602 Posts
This type of SBX pops up every few years on the forum. SBX believed to be post 90 but with the old type of decals. As I said in an other thread i try to spread the word for future references since I remeber how it feels as a beginner to try the solve the riddle. There is the more common SBX with pantos on lower head lug, brake bridge and BB, guiding in and outlets for inner tube rear brake cable, with non-winged logo and curved brake bridge, just like in the catalog above.

And there is this simplier no-panto one with the pre 90s decals with lower wingflap in gold and die shaped straight bridge. (see mine R.I.P. in my gallery as i still cant post) Everything fits BUT.... I have spent years searching for SBX pictures on the net to justify myself spending its price after i bought it (Since I always found the pics of the panto version i had doubts if my beloved one is a fake) and

A., I have never ever seen this layout for the inner cable of the rear brake (on top of top tube instead of left side - the positioning here is also different for the 2 versions but both are on the side)

B., this has no inner cabling for the derailleur in the chainstay as SBXs used to have.

If the race number holder would be 100% sure to be factory original it could be a special team issue for smaller teams (but then if the factory installed it why the pump peg??

I would consider the X4 Argentin color scheme to be non original, not even because its unusual (italians could anytime surprise us with such oddballs) rather because of the missing Reparto Corse decal. Does the fork and rear section have paint chips where they are blue? Is there chrome underneath?

Last edited by Lattz; 11-13-19 at 06:24 PM.
Old 11-13-19, 08:17 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26382 Post(s)
Liked 10,363 Times in 7,196 Posts

...those headsets are actually pretty solid and long lasting. The have roller bearings, and will doubtless outlive whatever you plan to replace it with. The did not last very long in the marketplace because of aesthetic prejudices. I meant to buy a few before they went out of production, but I missed the window. I value performance over aesthetics. It's adjustable, if you think it's too tight, but they run a little tight in proper adjustment, and it's a mistake to run them loose. Just loose enough for the wheel in the fork to flip it from side to side under it's own weight, but no looser.
Old 06-07-20, 11:53 AM
Deerman

Bikes: Steyr Waffenrad ('52, '62, '71, '72, '74), Cannondale (Saeco CAAD4, Criterium), Bianchi (Martini Racing mtb, RC SBX "weird"), Burco (transport, speciaal opa)

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts

Strange bike....

Hi Hamzak,

I just purchased a very similar frame in Hungary. The serial number is B008992 - which is extremely close to yours at B008919. These seem to me to be limited edition serial numbers - perhaps for custom frame builds? I think the decals on the bike are correct - see my pictures below: There is a lot of debate on the forum about these "weird" SBX frames. Seems like somebody painted yours to look like an X4 Argentino - no clue if this is original

?

Likes For Deerman:
Old 06-07-20, 12:03 PM
Deerman

Bikes: Steyr Waffenrad ('52, '62, '71, '72, '74), Cannondale (Saeco CAAD4, Criterium), Bianchi (Martini Racing mtb, RC SBX "weird"), Burco (transport, speciaal opa)

Ok so it's time for a bit of Bianchi serial number-ology. If we look at B 008919 and B 008992, we can maybe guess that "B" is for Bianchi - the bike is made in the Bianchi factory. 0089 means 1989 and 19 and 92 are the bike numbers made in this year. Yes I know that SBX didn't show up until 1993 - but maybe these are early prototypes? The design is different to the production models and the decals / design are very reminiscent of the X4 (which was in production in 89 I believe). Any takers? :0
Likes For Deerman:
Old 06-07-20, 12:09 PM
Deerman

X4 Argentino
Old 06-08-20, 01:33 AM
Deerman

Just had a rethink on the serial numbers. I think it is much simpler: the format "B" XXX-XXX is reserved for custom builds. "B" means Bianchi - made in Italy at the Bianchi factory. The rest of the number is simply the frame number - starting at "0" and going to "999-999". So B 008919 and B 008992 are both probably made close in time together but they are each custom - geometry, cable routings etc. Interesting that these bikes are both SBX - so probably made in 1993/4.
Likes For Deerman:
Old 06-08-20, 10:33 AM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 602 Posts
Originally Posted by Deerman
Just had a rethink on the serial numbers. I think it is much simpler: the format "B" XXX-XXX is reserved for custom builds. "B" means Bianchi - made in Italy at the Bianchi factory. The rest of the number is simply the frame number - starting at "0" and going to "999-999". So B 008919 and B 008992 are both probably made close in time together but they are each custom - geometry, cable routings etc. Interesting that these bikes are both SBX - so probably made in 1993/4.
I will try to fish out a pic of my serial. I remember it was hardly readable if at all.
Old 06-08-20, 11:09 AM
Hamzak

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How nice that the thread is back up. I'm also still curious to how the SBX series work. As Latzz also said, there are differences between the bikes of the SBX series. I have recently also found a photo of another SBX that had the same colour scheme. I get the feeling the bike was indeed costume made. Different paint job but in the colours that match the Bianchi logo on the front (not the black like the Argentino, but a more pearly darkish blue). And then there are the holes for the inner tube that are somehow on the topside (Deermans seem to be on the bottom/side).
Old 06-08-20, 11:10 AM
Hamzak

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Almost forgot. I also contacted Bianchi and gave them the series and serial number of the bike. Hopefully they can/will tell me more about the bike. If so, I will post it on this thread.
Old 06-08-20, 11:26 AM
Deerman

Hi Hamzak - I would say the paint on your bike is original.
Old 06-08-20, 11:29 AM
Deerman

Hi Lattz - I would be very interested indeed to know the serial number of your bike. I would predict that it is B 008 XXX or maybe B 009 XXX.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.