Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Arg. I can't stop getting dry eyes!!! HELP!

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 03-15-20, 06:58 PM
cbformula

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Recently, and maybe a sign of aging, I notice my eyes dry out more than usual during my rides. Its worse when its cold but still happens when hot. Some long rides leave my eyes blood shot even when I bring a bottle of eye drops and use it here and there when needed. Im starting to fear it is doing permanent harm to my vision. I dont wear glasses or contacts. I dont have any allergy reactions and seasonal allergies dont bother me.

I currently use either Oakley Radar Sun glasses or something of similar shape that wraps around my face.

Other times Im using Giro Vanquish helmet that has a brilliant removable visor (love the visibility of this).
(I would like to post links of the two above but aparantly I havent made enough posts to be allowed to do so says this forum's system.)

But no matter, I cant seem to stop the painful and uncomfortable dry eyes from the wind/air that passes my face when riding.

Has anyone else faced this issue and what ended up working for you? What do you use to maintain good healthy eyes (natrual eye drops, compress, etc)? Any advice would be greatly apprecaited.
Old 03-15-20, 07:33 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
I wear ski goggles (Bangerz) and have no problem.
Old 03-15-20, 07:39 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Very common problem, especially once you're past 45. These are very effective if nothing else is working:
https://kroops.com/collections/cycling
Old 03-15-20, 07:58 PM
257 roberts

Bikes: 2008 Trek Police bike 2019 Jamis Coda Sport 2021 Surly Bridgeclub

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 304 Posts
I use "Visine" usually after a ride
Old 03-16-20, 05:16 AM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
I have the exact opposite problem. On a good number, but not all, of my rides, I keep tearing up for no apparent reason. Very annoying.
Old 03-16-20, 06:08 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Originally Posted by bpcyclist
I have the exact opposite problem. On a good number, but not all, of my rides, I keep tearing up for no apparent reason. Very annoying.
Same with me. As I've aged, my eyes and nose seem to want to produce more and more liquid when I'm riding. Although annoying, I think I would hate dry eyes more. I've heard that cyclosporine eye drops help some with chronic dry eyes; however that therapy may be a bit more drastic than you want.
Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 03-16-20, 09:24 PM
cbformula

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
Very common problem, especially once you're past 45. These are very effective if nothing else is working:
kroops.com/collections/cycling
Never seen these before, ill take a look thank you
Old 03-16-20, 09:25 PM
cbformula

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
Same with me. As I've aged, my eyes and nose seem to want to produce more and more liquid when I'm riding. Although annoying, I think I would hate dry eyes more. I've heard that cyclosporine eye drops help some with chronic dry eyes; however that therapy may be a bit more drastic than you want.
Interesting, ill look into this as well, thanks!
Old 03-17-20, 11:31 AM
melikebikey35

Bikes: Cervelo R5 disc - Limited, Cervelo Aspero

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 65 Posts
I have very sensitive eyes, so any kind of wind getting to them causes irritation and make them water uncontrollably . After going through a couple different types of glasses, I've found that ones with a frame around the bottom do a better job of keeping the wind out...frameless glasses simply do not seal as well as framed ones.

My favorite pair is the Roka GP-1x...provides a ton of coverage, fit tightly on the bottom/sides, but still allows for ventilation from the top. And the lenses are incredible
Old 03-18-20, 03:04 PM
m3tal070

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 9 Posts
You can use over the counter drops like another poster mentioned, Systane Ultra. You can get it in bottle form, or small single use ampules (these have no preservative). Some people prefer the single use ampules if they have a reaction with preservatives in the bottles.

For general wellness of eyes if you do stare at comp monitors all day is the 20-20-20 rule. Every 20 mins, focus on something 20 feet away for at least 20 seconds.

Last edited by m3tal070; 03-18-20 at 03:44 PM.
Old 03-18-20, 03:11 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 609 Times in 458 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
https://kroops.com/collections/cycling
Oh wow great pricing also! Do you wear them? I wonder what's the best tinted lens to get?
Old 03-18-20, 03:44 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 946 Times in 553 Posts
Originally Posted by bpcyclist
mine used to water with the wind now its mostly when I go out into bright light. Plus when they water it makes my eyes sting and that makes them water worse.
Old 03-21-20, 04:30 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
Use eye drops but you have to use it a lot during the day, but at night before you go to bed use an eye ointment, the ointment stays in your eyes longer rather than seeping out quickly as drops do, they will make your vision blurry that's why you use it before you go to bed, Retaine PM Ointment, sold at Walgreens, is a good one. There is also gels that are thicker but not as thick as ointments are.

Then you should take vitamins made for dry eyes like Dry Eye Relief sold at Walgreens.

If after 3 months of using the drops, the ointments and the vitamins and you're getting no relief you need to see an eye doctor, you could have a plugged tear duct, or some other issue needing attention.
Old 03-22-20, 08:54 AM
Digger6255

Bikes: CAAD13 Disc, Ridley Fenix, Electra Lux 7D

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
Systane Ultra works wonders. Visine does nothing for dry eyes, it just takes the red out.
Old 03-22-20, 09:05 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 475 Posts
I've gone through a few different glasses with no satisfaction. I think I've started a few threads here too. Not much luck.

At the price point, I'll try the Kroops. I ordered the ones with 6 holes and a rainbow lens for $25. I like the $45 ones with a rubber "toothbrush" type of gasket better but they only have a gray lens.

I'm certainly worried about fogging. I'm sure these cheapies will need an auxiliary coating of anti-fog.

I'll report back once I ride a few days in them.
Old 03-23-20, 06:18 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 475 Posts
I just got mine. Haven't ridden yet but am encouraged. They fit under a helmet just fine. They seem good quality, I don't know if they're dark enough but that is more about the lens I got, red.

They come with an anti-fog wipe. I didn't realize that they sold them or I'd have bought a whole pack. They also sell replacement foam for cheap, I ordered one to see if my nice Bolle Shifters can fit them or at least, block a lot of wind.
Old 03-23-20, 11:42 PM
good4u

Bikes: Trek DS 2 and Cannondale Topstone

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 80 Posts
My eye doctor put me on fish oil for my dry eyes. Specifically, Nordic Naturals Ultimate Omega. Two per day. It took several weeks to kick in but was quite effective in my case. I used Systane Balanced drops until the fish oil worked. I get the Noridc Naturals at GNC where I can check the expiration date for freshness. The one I mentioned doesn't have a nasty after-taste.

Another doctor had me stop them for awhile and my dry eyes came back.
Old 03-24-20, 11:12 AM
yak
Zircon Encrusted Tweezer

Bikes: Pivot Switchblade, SantaCruz Tallboy, SantaCruz Solo, Specialized Fatboy, Trek ProjectOne Madone, Fuji Altamira CX 1.1, Lemond Zurich

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Talk to your doctor about trying Restasis.
Old 03-24-20, 06:01 PM
Bizsmom

Bikes: Marin Lombard 2020

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have terrible dry eyes and have used very expensive Rx drops that work but I can't afford them for continuous use. Make sure you tell your ophthalmologist about your issues and they can definitely help you manage it. There are decent lubricating drops on the market...some work better than others so it may be trial and error to find one that works well for you. Also use the night eye ointment...it's mostly like petroleum jelly.

One of the problems for me, after being outside for any length of time is allergy eyes. I use an OTC antihistamine eye drop twice daily, and then use Occusoft eye scrub when I come in from outdoors and every night before bed. It really helps reduce the itching and I do believe it helps with the dry eyes.
Good luck to you!