Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Any experience with LightSkin integrated lighting?

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 08-22-20, 02:27 AM
goodkeys

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi everyone,

Does anybody here have the LightSkin integrated lighting system? It's a light that is integrated in the seat post/handle bar, with a rechargeable battery. In Europe it is distributed through Schindelhauer Bikes, so I guess it's more than just a gimmick. You can find it on lightskin dot org.

It looks neat. The question is, how does it work with a rear rack? Have you found that panniers on your rear rack block the rear light? I'm also not sure how practical recharching really is. It won't be possible for me to drag the bike to a wall socket each time it needs charging. A powerbank should solve that problem though.
Old 08-22-20, 08:52 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
I know someone that has a light like that, not sure if it's a lightskin. His bike has nothing mounted on it at all. I like to have seat bags, so it is out for me. I suppose if you have panniers and never put anything on top of the rack that it would work okay. If one of my bikes has a rack, I put a light on the back of the rack, it's really the only place that makes sense to me.
Old 08-22-20, 11:06 AM
polyphrast

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts
Since it is even StVZO certified, it must be somewhat reliable, but 130-150 lm for the front light (from the specs) indicates a "to-be-seen" light, not a "to see light". So if you don't drive in unlit areas, you could go for it.
Old 08-22-20, 09:28 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 365 Posts
They look pretty tidy. I'd want to know if the batteries are replaceable though.

https://www.schindelhauerbikes.com/e...Handlebar.html
Old 08-23-20, 12:44 AM
goodkeys

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good to know that the front light doesn't suffice as only lightsource. I think I'll definitely go for the backlight, as I am planning to use a pannier. That way the rear rack will stay empty. For the front light I'll keep my eyes open for a minimalistic solution that has at least 300 lumen or so.