Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Durability of HRM straps

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Durability of HRM straps

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-20, 09:00 AM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 81 Posts
Durability of HRM straps

I have a Wahoo ticker with a strap snap failure.
Any sense of how long they tend to last and how they fail?
At $20 replacing the whole thing is competitive with a total device replacement, especially as the RESPIRATORY RATE function from Garmin has been introduced.
? Since it is based on R-R interval from the HRM , What other HRM that will support this is not currently clear.
I am not sure if it is a HRM function or a head unit function and how proprietary it is.
Garmin bought Firstbeatanalytics and uses their system, and I have not caught up on what they are using
Old 08-24-20, 10:07 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
My Wahoo strap also had a snap failure. I replace the whole thing, then found it was possible to just replace the snap.

Based on my experience, you average about one battery replacement on an HRM strap before you replace it -- for me, about two years. Garmin has better attachment, but you're lucky to get the electronics box open to replace the battery without buggering up the whole thing. As noted, my first Wahoo snap corroded after a couple years. Time to start watching the sales!
Old 08-24-20, 10:15 AM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
I have 3 Polar straps and rotate them at random for the last four years and all still work fine. Should be compatible with the wahoo sensor.
Old 08-24-20, 11:15 AM
GAtkins

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR7 Project One 62cm- 2010 Specialized Allez 61cm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by bikebikebike
At $20 replacing the whole thing is competitive with a total device replacement, especially as the RESPIRATORY RATE function from Garmin has been introduced.
? Since it is based on R-R interval from the HRM , What other HRM that will support this is not currently clear.
I am not sure if it is a HRM function or a head unit function and how proprietary it is.
Garmin bought Firstbeatanalytics and uses their system, and I have not caught up on what they are using
You can get generic replacement straps on AMZ. Does the Garmin 1030 support the Respiratory Rate function?

Thanks.

Glenn
Old 08-24-20, 11:54 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,796 Times in 3,308 Posts
I can't tell you anything about them in relation to respiratory rate, but I've had two Garmin premium soft straps in the last 10 or more years. My son is on his first premium soft strap and it's five years old.

Some people have issues and they only last them a short while. So you pretty much have to find out from experience.

I just rinse mine under the faucet after each ride with out removing the pod.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 08-24-20, 12:29 PM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked 844 Times in 408 Posts
Only had to replace a Polar strap because, eventually, even the most advanced science could not overcome the stink...
But, hey, now I've got this really cool particle accelerator - great chain cleaner.
Old 08-24-20, 12:54 PM
Dancing Skeleton

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 34 Posts
Most failures that I've seen can be prevented by frequent rinsing.
A snap could go at any time, I'd call Wahoo and ask for a replacement.
Old 08-24-20, 03:47 PM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Originally Posted by GAtkins
Does the Garmin 1030 support the Respiratory Rate function?
from the Garmin site ( https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?fa...x53UDqUH7q4WC6) :
The following devices can display this information as a data field only and require the use of a Garmin HRM-Tri, HRM-Run, or HRM-Dual strap:
  • Edge 530 Edge 830 Edge 1030 Plus
The following watches can display this information through the Respiration Widget or when recording an activity

NOTE: An HRM-Tri, HRM-Run, or HRM-Dual strap is required for all activity types with the exception of Breathwork or Yoga activity types.
Activity movement impacts the ability to read heart rate variability using the optical heart rate sensor resulting in inaccurate respiration rate readings.
  • fenix 6 Series
  • Forerunner 945
  • MARQ Collection
  • quatix 6 Series
  • tactix Delta Series
The following watches can display this information through the Respiration Widget and as a data field for either the Breathwork or Yoga activity profiles
  • Forerunner 245/245 Music
  • Venu
  • vivoactive 4/4S (including Hero and Legacy Series watches)
"Other devices may support this , if not now, soon as heart rate variability (HRV) is actually part of the ANT+ heart rate standard,
so many optical sensors that also support ANT+ are forced to send some HRV data.
Sadly most just sort of fake it since that don't really detect HRV (or do not detect reliably). The rythm+ sensor ... is in this category.
Additionally, some straps have a difficult time sending HRV data properly." from a web site reply, that I did not document as to source.

Of note , my Wahoo strap failed at the plastic end where the snap holds the elastic band.
The snap is tight, and there is a need to grab the end and this stresses the plastic weld/glue joint that holds the end piece together.
the part that failed , after probably ~30-40 uses
This maneuver is needed every time the strap is removed.
I soak it, if I use it riding, and either must not have a sense of smell, or smell worse than my stuff.

Last edited by bikebikebike; 08-24-20 at 03:55 PM.
Likes For bikebikebike:
Old 08-24-20, 03:49 PM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
I ran my Garmin from 2015 until a few months ago. It started to give erratic readings which is typical of a low battery but the battery was only a couple of months old. A new battery did fix it but decided it was time to upgrade and kept the old one as a backup. I always give it a good rinsing in the utility sink in the garage after every ride which IMHO helps extend the life and helps keeping it from getting stinky. Then every week or two I wash it by hand in a small bucket with some laundry detergent.
Old 08-24-20, 04:54 PM
bikebikebike

? My question is whatever is helped by rinsing , a corrosion vs electrolyte conductivity issue?
My issue was a failure to securely attach the two plastic halves of the snap cover to the strap connector,
not elastic failure or fraying or stink. I haven't dissected one , but I am assuming the plastic pad is conductive and connects to the snap.
I'll get together with my tech nerd buds who look at that kind of stuff , and have a Fluke to measure the conductivity/impedance.
I am familiar with FDA certifiable medical grade stuff , and accept the sloppy filtering, rapid rate errors, and sensor drop,
but looked mostly to keep the basics running and get a general gist of HR, not hard medical data.
There has been a push to use HRM for afib screening/surveillance, but my understanding is that R-R interval and regularity is the measure , not HR or maxHR.
My cardiologist recommended the Poalr10, but the lay data from folks like DCR, seems to see that as soft.
MaxHR is just not reliable enough to use, and I even got an Alive6L to chase down the bogus rapid data and calibrate the TickR.
bottom line was the TickR sometimes was erratic and read fast, enough not to get excited about its abnormal readings.
If Ya get that , ya need a real Holter/Event Monitor, not a device that costs less than your co-pay.
You can spend a fortune chasing bogus rapid rate artifact, especially if it is asymptomatic.

Last edited by bikebikebike; 09-04-20 at 04:24 PM.
Old 08-26-20, 02:53 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I'm going on 14 months with a Wahoo Tickr, no problems. I use it 3-5 times a week for rides, walks, etc. I've replaced the battery twice. I wash the strap every few uses, just tossing it into the hand washable stuff like my jerseys to let it soak awhile. Rinse in plain water, hang to air dry over the tub with a fan running.

So far the only sign of wear is the sensor pads are peeling up a bit. I could probably replace the double stick tape or use something similar.

I see generic replacement straps are around $15-$20. Not bad for something that gets a lot of use and abuse.
Old 08-26-20, 07:06 AM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
..... There has been a push to use HRM for afib screening/surveillance, but my understanding is that R-R is the measure , not HR or maxHR. .....
If detecting AFib is your main concern then a heart rate monitor is going to be useless because they only detect the number of R waves (and not R-R intervals) when determining heart rate. My wife has AFib and excretion will sometimes trigger it. She rides and uses a heart rate monitor but only to determine her base rate. Her meds do a good job of keeping her heart rate below 100 bpm, even when exercising. So when the rate becomes tachycardic or her heart rate monitor shows erratic rates, she uses a Kardia Mobile device to determine if she is having an AFib episode. If you have AFib you may want to check into a Kardia Mobile device. They're small, thin and weigh hardly anything and will fit in a wallet. It works in conjunction with your smartphone and displays the EKG (Lead I) on the screen. You don't need to be a cardiologist to determine if the rhythm is AFib since AFib is a very unique rhythm and very easily distinguishable, even by a non-professional.

In response to your initial question, I have had the same Wahoo Tickr HRM since 2014. At the end of each ride, I detach the head unit and wipe down the pads and snaps on the strap and the snaps on the head unit and put them away separately. This prevents salt built up and corrosion on the snaps.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress

Last edited by John_V; 08-26-20 at 07:14 AM.
Old 08-26-20, 08:37 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

? is whatever is helped by rinsing a corrosion vs electrolyte conductivity issue?
My issue was a failure to securely attach the two plastic halves of the snap to strap connector
not elastic failure or fraying or stink. I haven't dissected one , but I am assuming the plastic pad is conductive and connects to the snap.
I'll get together with my tech nerd buds who look at that kind of stuff , and have a Fluke to measure the conductivity/impedence.
I am familiar with FDA certifiable medical grade stuff , and accept the sloppy filtering, rapid rate errors, and sensor drop, but looked mostly to keep the basics running and get a general gist of HR, not hard data.
There has been a push to use HRM for afib screening/surveillance, but my understanding is that R-R is the measure , not HR or maxHR.
My cardiologist recommended the Poalr10, but the lay data from folks like DCR, seems to see that as soft.
MaxHR is just not reliable enough to use,and I even got an Alive6L to chase down the bogus rapid data and calibrate the TickR.
bottom line was the tickeR sometimes was erratic and read fast enough, not to get excited about its abnormal readings.
Ya get that , ya need a real Holter/Event Monitor, not a device that costs less than your co-pay.
You can spend a fortune chasing bogus rapid rate artifact.
You've got me all confused now.

What's the question? And for what purpose do you want it?
Likes For Iride01:
Old 08-26-20, 09:39 AM
bikebikebike

THanks Iride
The price of new strap is ~$20 against the $30-90 of replacement HRM.
The HRM can have a lot of error and if they are being used to screen for abnormal conduction, the strap wear/connection can be a source of issues.
I have had my first strap failure with a connection break, and was curious to see what experiences with strap failure were out there.

There is a lot of anecdotal support for using consumer HRM for screening, and this is both being pushed and criticized.
Chasing the errors/static/noise on the devices can produce expensive unnecessary workups, and their role in monitoring identified problems is controversial.
Not to say they can't be useful.

I use HRM for training and they get discussed locally by my rider buds. Just trying to have a bigger base than isolated anecdotes
Question is do they fail, stink, or have other wear issues? Do users replace the strap and what is the experience or do they just grab a new device, and at what intervals.
Thanks again

Last edited by bikebikebike; 08-26-20 at 09:43 AM.
Old 08-26-20, 10:07 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

THanks Iride
The price of new strap is ~$20 against the $30-90 of replacement HRM.
The HRM can have a lot of error and if they are being used to screen for abnormal conduction, the strap wear/connection can be a source of issues.
I have had my first strap failure with a connection break, and was curious to see what experiences with strap failure were out there.

There is a lot of anecdotal support for using consumer HRM for screening, and this is both being pushed and criticized.
Chasing the errors/static/noise on the devices can produce expensive unnecessary workups, and their role in monitoring identified problems is controversial.
Not to say they can't be useful.

I use HRM for training and they get discussed locally by my rider buds. Just trying to have a bigger base than isolated anecdotes
Question is do they fail, stink, or have other wear issues? Do users replace the strap and what is the experience or do they just grab a new device, and at what intervals.
Thanks again
Okay... thanks for giving a little more on the why and what part.

My opinion of HR use for training is that currently HR info provided by them along with other HR sensors on watches and things is not too useful for most medical issues. Most publicized new events about them doing so are one off things that are very anecdotal and circumstantial.

The heart beat is composed a series of individual contractions which in themselves are beats. The timing of all these things is what a cardiologist looks at and not just the entire beat that our HR devices measure.

We might be able to glean little suspicions about our health. But mostly we are just left with what those of us have looked at HR for for years. How it goes up and down with effort. How quick it comes down when we stop or reduce effort. How fast or slow our HR is when we first wake up. And variations of those things that we can apply to tell us something about how we are doing towards our goals of exercise.
Old 08-27-20, 03:01 PM
speedlever
Hills!

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2005 Marin Novato, Trek 7100

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I'm still on the original HRM that came bundled with my Edge 305!
Old 08-29-20, 08:53 PM
Ilbiker

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Sport 2021 Trek Domane SL6

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
I’m still using the HRM Run that came with with my FR 620 5 1/2 years ago. Just keep using on my new watches and now my 530. It’s been used allot - running, riding, racing. I rinse the sensor after every use. I wash the strap with my stinky workout clothes on delicate cycle.
Old 08-31-20, 08:13 AM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by John_V
My wife has AFib and excretion will sometimes trigger it.
Really hope you meant "exertion" there. Otherwise, TMI.
Old 09-01-20, 01:24 PM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by adamrice
Really hope you meant "exertion" there. Otherwise, TMI.
Thanks for catching that. I did mean exertion. It's what I get for having auto correct active on my iPad.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 09-03-20, 12:13 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4369 Post(s)
Liked 3,001 Times in 1,854 Posts
I had a snap failure on my TICKR strap earlier in the summer and bought the replacement strap for $20.

The TICKR is still way better the Garmins I had in the past, which inevitably gave unreliable readings with bothersome regularity.
Old 09-22-20, 10:29 AM
bikebikebike

Cool info from the strap tag of the Garmin
https://patents.google.com/patent/US8386009B2/en
Patent on how the straps work from Suunto
Old 09-23-20, 12:54 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
I have an 8 year old garmin basic (not the premium one) strap. It's on it's second battery and works like the first day.