Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Hesitant to ride

Old 09-01-20, 05:49 AM
Chris!

Bikes: Jamis renegade, surly big dummy, giant talon 29er

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
Hesitant to ride

I was riding last week and a car did not signal, turned left. Neither of us had a stop sign and he hit me. I was fine and so was my bike I did more damage to his bumper than anything. But everythime I think about going for a ride since then I skip it. Think ill go for a run today.... Sucks that the hobby I love can be so dangerous. Just happy I'm not hurt.
Likes For Chris!:
Old 09-01-20, 06:03 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3637 Post(s)
Liked 5,311 Times in 2,699 Posts
Bummer. One does have to be alert. Odd that there was no stop sign at the intersection. Generally, absent stop signs or in presence of multi stop, the vehicle arriving first has the right of way. Arriving at the same time, the vehicle to the right has ROW. People don't remember this from driver's ed and it can lead to well intentioned but awkward standoffs.
Old 09-01-20, 06:51 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Bummer. One does have to be alert. Odd that there was no stop sign at the intersection. Generally, absent stop signs or in presence of multi stop, the vehicle arriving first has the right of way. Arriving at the same time, the vehicle to the right has ROW. People don't remember this from driver's ed and it can lead to well intentioned but awkward standoffs.
At any rate, a vehicle turning left across the intersection must yield to oncoming traffic. I suspect a driver who wasn't paying attention.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 09-01-20, 07:03 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,662 Times in 2,496 Posts
OP -- glad you're okay. Not wanting to get out of the house is understandable. I imagine once you're riding that you will be fine.
Old 09-01-20, 07:13 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,946 Times in 936 Posts
Glad you are fine.

I use a front blinker light and I yell "Bike" when in these type of encounters. Really is amazing how impaired people are or they just do not give a damn about cyclists. Last ride I had three near misses by 1. getting squeezed by a Suburban on a road with no shoulder missed hitting me by a few inches; then, 2. being J-hooked by a minivan that sped up and cut me off on a right turn, and 3. I had to swerve out of the way of an SUV that passed another vehicle going in the opposing traffic lane.

Then, if they do hit you, they will either run leaving you dying on asphalt or lie to the police.
I am going for a hike today instead of riding too!
Old 09-01-20, 07:20 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
Your concern is quite understandable. A couple years ago I was hit from behind on a road with a marked bike lane. It was a clear, sunny Sunday morning on a road with 35 mph speed limit and 4 travel lanes. It was the only car visible for a long way off. I could see in my mirror that the vehicle was staying in the right lane. It wasn't until I heard a big bang that I realized his fender had caught my handlebar. There was absolutely no reason why the driver could not see me and give more room. I had a flashing rear light and a safety flag. I wasn't hurt and the trike had minimal damage - broke mirror and a damaged bar end light. It spooked the hell out of me so while I didn't quit riding I did a lot less of it. I am now back to riding nearly every day during the cycling season (about 8 months long here) but it took a couple of years. You can't anticipate every possibility of getting in an accident but I am very cautious about turning vehicles and expect the possibility of having to do evasive maneuvers.
Old 09-01-20, 07:31 AM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 3,982 Times in 1,415 Posts
Glad to hear you’re okay. That’s the main thing.

I had a pick up back out of a short driveway right in front of me this morning. Thankfully I was already slowing down to turn and I could tell the driver didn’t see me. Once he did, he stopped and apologized. He was visibly a little shaken up by it. I said it was okay and that I saw him and told him to have a good morning.

Sometimes they aren’t paying attention and sometimes the rider appears just after they look to see if the coast is clear.

Last edited by MattTheHat; 09-01-20 at 04:29 PM.
Old 09-01-20, 07:48 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Need more details but not sure why you would ever be next to a vehicle while going through what you described as an uncontrolled intersection.
Old 09-01-20, 08:34 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 395 Times in 225 Posts
I got hit by a left hook car 5 years ago. Short story...cuts and bruises for me and a destroyed bike. I wanted to get back to riding a.s.a.p., since I knew the longer I waited the more it would get into my head. Unfortunately, I was on vacation when it happened and had no other bike to ride. First thing when I got home was go out riding. I'll be honest, it seemed like every car was out to get me on this first ride. The more I rode the better it got, though. I'm glad now that I kept at it. I did learn a few things too. Added daytime lights and more high viz clothing.
Old 09-01-20, 08:38 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris!
I was riding last week and a car did not signal, turned left. Neither of us had a stop sign and he hit me. I was fine and so was my bike I did more damage to his bumper than anything. But everythime I think about going for a ride since then I skip it. Think ill go for a run today.... Sucks that the hobby I love can be so dangerous. Just happy I'm not hurt.
Sorry it had to happen. But you cant let one random accident control your life. If that was the case everyone would be hiding in their basement.

Last edited by rydabent; 09-01-20 at 02:32 PM.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 09-01-20, 10:19 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
Need more details but not sure why you would ever be next to a vehicle while going through what you described as an uncontrolled intersection.
What? If a car is going the opposite direction through the intersection and there's no stop signs on the road you both are on, would you normally stop? I'm reading between the lines here, but this sounds like both vehicles were passing on the non-stop road at a two-way stop intersection. Unless they're signalling, I don't think you're expected to assume they're coming out of their lane to cross yours. By your logic, I should stop every time there's a car coming the opposite direction and there's a driveway on my side of the road just in case the car is going to pull into the driveway without signalling.
Old 09-01-20, 10:39 AM
IGH_Only

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
Glad to hear you're okay. I don't understand why the car wouldn't signal, but more importantly, just stop if he is going to cross the oncoming lane. That is the driving rule in every state, no? You have the clear right of way. I mean, did the driver just not see you?
Old 09-01-20, 10:40 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 320 Posts
even if you are in the right, you can always stop and make sure
Old 09-01-20, 11:18 AM
IGH_Only

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
even if you are in the right, you can always stop and make sure
That's the thing, you can't always make sure. If fact it's darn near impossible some times. There are plenty of two lane roads in just about every city with regular constant traffic that have driveways or other road intersections. If you stopped every single time a car was approaching from the other direction, you'd be better off walking.
Old 09-01-20, 12:29 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 320 Posts
Originally Posted by IGH_Only
That's the thing, you can't always make sure. If fact it's darn near impossible some times. There are plenty of two lane roads in just about every city with regular constant traffic that have driveways or other road intersections. If you stopped every single time a car was approaching from the other direction, you'd be better off walking.
ok keep going then
Old 09-01-20, 01:49 PM
downhillmaster

Originally Posted by livedarklions
What? If a car is going the opposite direction through the intersection and there's no stop signs on the road you both are on, would you normally stop? I'm reading between the lines here, but this sounds like both vehicles were passing on the non-stop road at a two-way stop intersection. Unless they're signalling, I don't think you're expected to assume they're coming out of their lane to cross yours. By your logic, I should stop every time there's a car coming the opposite direction and there's a driveway on my side of the road just in case the car is going to pull into the driveway without signalling.
You are trying to read between the lines and I love that you are comparing a likely uncontrolled intersection to a driveway lol
Old 09-01-20, 01:56 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 371 Posts
I'm glad you weren't hurt physically. I'm also glad your bike is OK. If your riding style was good, I hope you get back on your bike. If it isn't good ... I hope you correct yourself and get back on your back.
Old 09-01-20, 02:01 PM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
I've been riding and crashing bikes and motorcycles a long time. I don't ride bikes on the road much anymore after the last time I got hit. I should/want to start again. I like mountain biking, but miss wandering the backroads from my house and touring. In the last 3 years I totalled 2 motorcycles in deer strikes on the way to work in the morning. I reduced my motorcycle riding initially each time and am still getting back from the last one in june. I don't want to stop riding, but maybe 25,000 miles a year is a little too much. Take a little time and make sure your mind is right before riding. There is only so much you can control. Don't let fear control you.
Old 09-01-20, 02:14 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
You are trying to read between the lines and I love that you are comparing a likely uncontrolled intersection to a driveway lol

Car is in opposite direction lane and you're saying that I shouldn't be in the intersection because the car heading in the opposite direction may illegally turn left into me without signaling. I notice you don't explain how this is different from the driveway situation.

And you read between the lines to make it an uncontrolled intersection. I suspect a two-way stop sign situation is far more likely, and that isn't uncontrolled.

Just admit to yourself you posted something really stupid and move on. You'll feel better.

Last edited by livedarklions; 09-01-20 at 02:23 PM.
Old 09-01-20, 03:02 PM
downhillmaster

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Car is in opposite direction lane and you're saying that I shouldn't be in the intersection because the car heading in the opposite direction may illegally turn left into me without signaling. I notice you don't explain how this is different from the driveway situation.

And you read between the lines to make it an uncontrolled intersection. I suspect a two-way stop sign situation is far more likely, and that isn't uncontrolled.

Just admit to yourself you posted something really stupid and move on. You'll feel better.
Too perfect lol.
You suspect a two-way stop sign situation?
Even though the OP clearly stated “Neither of us had a stop sign and he hit me”
Just admit to yourself that you again posted something really stupid and move on.
Old 09-01-20, 03:30 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10243 Post(s)
Liked 11,595 Times in 5,942 Posts
I'm glad you're not hurt, but I suspect you're in a "get back on the horse" situation. If you want to get back to riding, you'll have to get back on the bike. I'd add an unignorable blinky light in front., even if it's just to make yourself feel better.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 09-01-20, 03:45 PM
coopman

Bikes: Specialized Roll Sport Low Entry and Bianchi Super Pista

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 44 Posts
Never give up Chris. Get back in the saddle!
Old 09-01-20, 04:18 PM
bkaapcke

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
I was coming up on a light controlled intersectiion with a green light going my way. A car approached the intersectiion with a red from my right. The guy was slowing down as if to stop so I proceeded through. He was only slowing down to roll a right turn, not to stop. At the last second, I stepped off my bike, a LWB recumbent, and let the bike go. He hit the rear wheel but didn't hit me. It only cost me $15.00 to have the rear wheel trued. I considered this a real wake up call concerning inattentive drivers.It was time to ride somewhere else.

I've been riding MUP's ever since. I sure don't miss having cars in my rides anymore. bk
Old 09-01-20, 04:47 PM
Chris!

Bikes: Jamis renegade, surly big dummy, giant talon 29er

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
It was a north south main drag with an east west side street. I was heading south and they driver north, he went turn left and our situation happened. He was actually really good about it. He jumped out ran over to me and was just in total shock. I'm already itching to get out I'm sure ill hit the road in a day or two. Thanks for the words of enthusiasm.
Likes For Chris!:
Old 09-01-20, 05:05 PM
FREEBIRD1

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris!
No more riding on streets for me, we bought a van and drop in a different trail heads to ride. There is still some danger, but no cars, and the surfaces are usually better. Someday it may be safe to ride the streets.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.