Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage > Classic and Vintage Sales
Reload this Page >

FS: Maillard Helicomatic Complete Package

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Sales Private Sales Only, no online storefronts. All prices must be quoted, we are not an auction site.

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-20, 03:19 PM
LittleGinseng 
lurking nightrider

Bikes: '84 Lotus Supreme, '85 Club Fuji, '86 Schwinn Peloton, '87 DS Ironman Expert, '87 Maruishi Professional, '88 Takara

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts

This is a very lightly used hub set complete with Helicomatic freewheel, lock ring and removal tool.

Hub specifics: 36 hole front and rear, spacing is 126/100. Date of manufacture Rear: (28) week (83) year, Front (23) (83)
Rear hub has the dreaded [sic] 13 (5/32) ball bearings per side.
Hubs were cleaned inside and out. Cones and races are in great shape with no pitting. Bearings were repacked with Park Polylube.

Freewheel is a 6-speed cluster: 13-15-17-20-24-28. The internals of the freewheel body could use a good cleaning if you're feeling adventurous (yet still smooth and quiet).
Freewheel spacing is set up for a narrow chain, so any 6-7-8 speed chain should be compatible.

Bonus: Because of the notoriety the Helicomatic has achieved over the years, I'm including an extra 36 hole rear hub (126 spacing) Date of manufacture March '86, (complete with a solid axle) also cleaned and repacked. This hub is NOS/never been laced.
Also included are three extra NOS cogs 19-21-25 for more flexibility with gear ratios.
Oh! And the spoke protector is also included for all you Helicomatic aficionados. You know who you are.

Price is $125.00 via Paypal. I will take care of any Paypal fees and shipping USPS Priority to anywhere in the contiguous 48. Sorry, no international shipping.

I'll be more than happy to provide any pic requests if you need to see more. Thank you.

"If there hadn't been women we'd still be squatting in a cave eating raw meat, because we made civilization in order to impress our girl friends. And they tolerated it and let us go ahead and play with our toys." Orson Welles

Last edited by LittleGinseng; 09-14-20 at 09:55 AM.
Old 09-13-20, 07:31 PM
plonz 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 655 Post(s)
Liked 467 Times in 301 Posts
Wow! I just sold a really nice helicomatic hubset on BF and I was iffy on whether or not I should keep it. This is a great package and now I'm second guessing letting mine go. Someone should get some good use out of this.
Likes For plonz:
Old 09-13-20, 08:19 PM
LittleGinseng 
lurking nightrider

Bikes: '84 Lotus Supreme, '85 Club Fuji, '86 Schwinn Peloton, '87 DS Ironman Expert, '87 Maruishi Professional, '88 Takara

Originally Posted by plonz
Wow! I just sold a really nice helicomatic hubset on BF and I was iffy on whether or not I should keep it. This is a great package and now I'm second guessing letting mine go. Someone should get some good use out of this.
I saw how quickly your hubset sold.

This set I'm selling has been kicking around in my garage for over 10 years. Didn't really think about it much until I saw your set and how nicely they polished up. It was inspiring!
Once I got into the guts of these things I discovered how 'not bad' they really are.
"If there hadn't been women we'd still be squatting in a cave eating raw meat, because we made civilization in order to impress our girl friends. And they tolerated it and let us go ahead and play with our toys." Orson Welles
Old 09-13-20, 11:15 PM
BertoBerg 

Bikes: '72 Peugeot PX-10, '09 A. Homer Hilsen, '78 Masi Gran Crit, '79 Echelon Spectra

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 98 Posts
Yep, never had a problem with my Helicomatic setup. Only reason I took mine off of my Trek was to step up to a 10-speed cassette.
Old 09-14-20, 06:38 AM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 428 Times in 249 Posts
I was finding it difficult to find "affordable" hubs (or a wheelset) that fit the 120 ~ 124mm rear spacing for my '76 Schwinn (it's a smaller than the 126mm standard, so 120 i think). I did not want to cold set to 130mm.
Moving the stays 5mm each seems like a lot on a frame that's already 40 years old (i know i don't like to stretch much........)
These look really nice - and whoever scoops them up gets the pie-plate (which, no matter what BS-NYC used to say is totally cool now. totally.), labels, and the lock ring tool. (i've still got my lock ring tool from when I bought my first "real" bike - a Peugeot back in the '80s).

.... guess i need to decide on some rims here pretty quick! ponz
Old 09-14-20, 09:31 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,214 Times in 1,103 Posts
VERY NICE! My Trek came with the set but was toast. The cone in the back is toast. I gave up but still have the block that look fairly fresh.
P1000288 on Flickr
006_Trek 610 As Purchased_Rear Gears_RD on Flickr

Last edited by SJX426; 09-14-20 at 09:53 AM.
Old 09-14-20, 09:48 AM
daverup 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 415 Posts
PM sent
Old 09-14-20, 10:06 AM
LittleGinseng 
lurking nightrider

sold!
Likes For LittleGinseng: