Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Are there any battery operated heated socks that actually work?

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-14, 08:08 AM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I tried some years ago and couldn't tell that they did anything at all. Does anybody have luck with these? The ones I tried had (I think one) D cell battery powering each sock.
Old 11-19-14, 09:18 AM
gecho

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts
D-cell batteries are expensive and don't have enough juice. I tried a pair and I think they are mostly a gimmick since they were just really really thick socks, too thick to use in any of my boots without being tight.

Rechargeable insole heaters are a better way to go, as they get much hotter. Two brands with external batteries are Therm-ic and Hotronic. Thermacell makes a model with the batteries in the insole with a wireless remote. Both Hotronic and Therm-ic offer different ni-mh battery capacities, the higher capacity ones are good if you need to run them on high for longer periods. Hotronic offers a peel and stick model for use with any insole (aerogel ones in my case), or an insole designed for the heater. The peel and stick model can be a bit of work to fit, and your toes will always be resting on their plastic base. Therm-ic uses insoles with integrated heaters. Most of them are fairly expensive.

Therm-ic offers expensive lithium powered models. I would avoid those as my lithium headlight batteries only last a fraction of the time in the cold, so the heaters may fare no better.

I've been using 4-cell Hotronics for 3 years. The current model is S, I have the E and the oldest is M, though they all look the same. My feet get cold easily so even with my warmest boots I couldn't ride for more than 45 minutes without them.
Old 11-23-14, 09:14 PM
Bat56

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Try this one.

https://www.bikeforums.net/winter-cyc...les-socks.html
Old 06-08-20, 01:00 PM
Sonya8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess, that the ones you tried were just not really qualitative. I've tried the most expensive ones and they turned out to be great