Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Married or Engaged Guys

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Married or Engaged Guys

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-09, 12:44 PM
CyLowe97
Up on the Down Side

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by NickDavid
And I get infuriated at the thought of buying such a worthless piece of crap that sits on someones hand.
Does she know your take on this? Does she think the same thing? If she says yes, she's only amusing you. She means, "Hells YES I want that worthless piece of crap to sit on my hand. And it better be high quality."

Unfortunately, I must take this plunge because no other woman will put up with my **** or infatuation with cycling. In fact, she often purchases me gear and supports my racing/training habit and those women are hard to come by.
Unfortunately? Are you thick or what? This is the reason you must ignore your own urge to call this token of affection a "worthless piece of crap" and get her a quality rock.

And of the "4 C's" of the Diamond Cartel Scam, remember this: Carat is the least imporant.

Don't cheap out.
Old 11-11-09, 12:46 PM
CerpinTaxt

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD3 Saeco

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've heard of engagement Cervelo. But she was crazy into cycling apparently. If your lady isn't just stick to above advices. What SHE wants.
Old 11-11-09, 12:47 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
I was supposed to buy an engagement ring ?!?! Oooops. She married me anyway.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 11-11-09, 12:50 PM
Tsuru
Bromptoneer

Bikes: Brompton S2L

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
Why didn't the thread end here?
Because suggestions, no matter how "not her" they are, can get one started. One look online can be rather overwhelming. There's so many types of rings and styles, I think starting points, no matter how off they are, can help.
Old 11-11-09, 12:51 PM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
4 C's. Read up on it. Find a jeweler in your area you trust. Make sure you know what she likes (gold? silver? heart-shaped stone? Marquis? Princess?

My wife is classic and elegant; the engagement ring was a solitaire princess cut stone, right under 1ct (like .98 or something, the magical carat barrier makes $$ go up quite a bit). She has small hands, so 1ct looks great on her finger.

From there, she designed her wedding set using smaller square diamonds flanking the main stone set into the rings. Something similar to this

In the end, she'll be overjoyed, just make sure the stone is a stone she'll keep. You can redo the rings. The engagement ring we reused for a sapphire I brought back from Sri Lanka....
Old 11-11-09, 12:54 PM
linux_author
370H-SSV-0773H

Bikes: Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my proposal was to drag her into a Zales at the mall, push her in front of the diamond ring counter, get out a ring, fit it on her finger, and ask, "Do ya wannit?"

it worked

btw, whatever engagement ring you get will be supplemented by one or more other larger, more expensive rings sooner than later, so don't go crazy right off the bat
Old 11-11-09, 12:56 PM
m4ximusprim3

Bikes: 2010 CAAD9-4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I totally lucked out- I asked her mom and dad first (old fashioned, no doubt) and not only were they thrilled, her mom had been saving her grandmother's engagement ring (with a very nice diamond) for just that reason, so I got out for the price of a new setting.

I would imagine that if anyone in your family has been re-married and still has the old ring kicking around, they might sell it cheap. But that's just me being fredly
Old 11-11-09, 12:57 PM
crhilton

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You asked for it, I'll dump:

When I got married I was fresh out of college, so I had no money. I took my wife to a nice jeweler and asked to look at rings. I wanted to get what she liked: As usual, he talked her into a several thousand dollar ring (and that's with a cheap colored stone, just the band was in the thousands). I told her that wasn't happening, bought her a $100 ring to serve as an engagement ring and a wedding ring and we got married. Before we got married I promised her a nice engagement style ring in the future, but I didn't want to start us in debt to a jeweler.

We were both happy: This is (part of) why I love my wife, she's not senseless when it comes to money and romance. She knows what scarcity means and has intelligent priorities. There was a fight (she and I were on the same side), we won, and it was all fine.

For our first anniversary I bought her an engagement style ring. I still spent far less than the ring she'd picked out. In fact, I won't return to the jeweler who talked her into the overpriced ring: He's a jerk. You can't sell me by "teaching me about women." I know my wife.

Anyway, the band was the important part, and it's an antique style with lots of filligree. She was quite happy about it. There are a lot of women though that will want a gold plain band with a big diamond.

Anyway, the ring was less expensive, she loves it and still wears it (w00t, still married).

So my advice: You should get her something she'll like. Don't blow your wad, but you'd better not cheap out (spend less than you can afford when she clearly wants more). Don't let her pick it out, that's stupid. The jeweler will try to play her against you, I'm not kidding, they can be like car salesmen.
Old 11-11-09, 01:05 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by CerpinTaxt
I've heard of engagement Cervelo. But she was crazy into cycling apparently. If your lady isn't just stick to above advices. What SHE wants.
ftw

Old 11-11-09, 01:09 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Mrs. Superdex sounds a lot like Mrs. Caloso. One of the nice things about going custom was that we were able to incorporate some small stones from her grandmother. It means a lot.
Old 11-11-09, 01:21 PM
tombailey
awaiting uci approval

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix RC 06

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
quality of diamond matters more than size.
don't spend more than you can afford (if you hit the big time in 10 years you can buy her a new ring for your anniversary).
unless you're trying to completely surprise her then talk to her about what she wants, and what size she is).

if it is a surprise then you can follow my friend's scheme to find out the correct size. He concocted with the local store that at a certain time on a certain day the jeweller would be outside with a clipboard doing a "survey" of how the nation's weight gain was affecting ring sizes. they walked by as arranged and took part in the survey. she had no idea when he proposed a month later. a lot of effort, but a great story.
Old 11-11-09, 01:21 PM
dadof3boys

Bikes: '09 Novara Strada

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nobodyetal
Congrats on finding somebody you want to buy a ring for!

My wife worked in the south bronx as a kindergarten teacher at the time, so a relatively small stone with a setting that wouldn't get snagged on little kid stuff (1/3 carat Zales diamond).
She got upset that I spent so much ($1200 or so) on a ring, and loved it anyway.

But that's my woman. Yours will likely be entirely different.
That's the same size I got my wife at Zales as well. I sold off most of my guitar gear to afford it. To a college kid, it seemed like so much money back then (8 1/2 yrs.), but now I wish I could get her something better...so I'm shopping for a road bike for her
Old 11-11-09, 01:25 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
I actually replied to a post somewhere on this, and I expanded it into a blog post:

https://sprinterdellacasa.blogspot.co...y-diamond.html

Basically it comes down to this: CUT.

You can't see the different colors once you get to D, you can't tell if it's .9 or 1.0 carats, you can't tell if it's better than a VS1 (because, by definition, you need a loupe), but you can always, always, always tell a nicely cut diamond. They sparkle.

And you can get anything you want, but if it's not cut nicely (and diamonds weren't even rated on cut until a few years ago), the thing will be a dim failure.

So get a sparkly diamond. The rest is up to you.

cdr
Old 11-11-09, 01:37 PM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
Mine was about as basic as you can get:

1.26 ct round - properly cut. Cut is the most important of the 4 Cs if you want it to look brilliant. IIRC (too long ago) VS1, maybe VVS2, color around G. Simple prong mount on a yellow gold band.

I bought it from an independent jeweler - one line in the phone book kind of guy - that was recommended to me by a colleague. I also checked some of the larger mall chain stores as well. None had anything near the same quality that they could show me.
72 Frejus (for sale), Holdsworth Record (for sale), special CNC & Gitane Interclub / 74 Italvega NR (for sale) / c80 French / 82 Raleigh Intl MkII f&f (for sale)/ 83 Trek 620 (for sale)/ 84 Bruce Gordon Chinook (for sale)/ 85 Ron Cooper / 87 Centurion IM MV (for sale) / 03 Casati Dardo / 08 BF IRO / 09 Dogma FPX / 09 Giant TCX0 / 10 Vassago Fisticuff

Old 11-11-09, 01:37 PM
NickDavid

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CyLowe97
Does she know your take on this? Does she think the same thing? If she says yes, she's only amusing you. She means, "Hells YES I want that worthless piece of crap to sit on my hand. And it better be high quality."
Yes, she does know. Her response is, just buy whatever you can afford. She actually came to me the other day and said, "I want you to know that I don't care what you buy and it would be selfish of me to expect something expensive." I was touched.

Originally Posted by CyLowe97
Unfortunately? Are you thick or what? This is the reason you must ignore your own urge to call this token of affection a "worthless piece of crap" and get her a quality rock.
Don't cheap out.
It was a joke, dude. Calm your sack. Diamond engagement rings were a marketing tool that people fell for. I will always buy quality or quantity.
Old 11-11-09, 01:40 PM
CyLowe97
Up on the Down Side

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Pay attention again to these people on the cut and clarity stuff.

Because nothing says "I Love You" like a 1.5 carat diamond that looks like it's got coffee dregs in it.

Edit... never mind.
Old 11-11-09, 01:41 PM
Tsuru
Bromptoneer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Found one just like the one I got my wife!

Old 11-11-09, 01:43 PM
khatfull
FBoD Member at Large

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by sced
The mark up on jewelry is huge, so shop around and try bargaining.
This.

When my wife and I shop jewelry for her we usually pay less than 50-60% of the sticker. We'll pre-shop, and then go back. We'll hem and haw let them make an offer, then walk away. Walk back a few minutes later, and then I'll usually whip out the cash and say, "this is it, take it or leave it".

They usually take it.
Old 11-11-09, 01:45 PM
curiouskid55

Bikes: o5 Specilized roubaix Comp, 06 Tequilo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Unless you already have $20K in savings for a down payment on a piece of real estate youd' be an idiot to spend any significant amount on jewelry. A key is much more important to your future than an inherently worthless rock.
Old 11-11-09, 01:49 PM
Tsuru
Bromptoneer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by curiouskid55
Unless you already have $20K in savings for a down payment on a piece of real estate youd' be an idiot to spend any significant amount on jewelry. A key is much more important to your future than an inherently worthless rock.
Depends, eh? Our home is worth less than it was when we bought it, even with upgrades. "Owning land" in this mobile/global world we live in these days may not be the right investment for him.
Old 11-11-09, 01:50 PM
TurbineBlade
Kid A

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Quality of diamond? Size? Pfff...none of this crap matters unless it is specific to your wife's personal tastes. I think the real key is making it something specific and personal....that's it.

My wife and I had celtic gold bands made by a local jeweler that match (mine is larger) from white and yellow gold. She is Scottish and hence they had personal meaning.

An engagement ring could be done much the same.

That's my advice anyway, we could care less about diamonds even though our rings ended up costing as much as what we would've spent on diamonds. What's the sense in doing what everyone else without a good reason?
Old 11-11-09, 01:53 PM
wmt3rd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got off lucky. My wife did NOT want a diamond, but just a simple wedding band. It was a good thing, since we were both just out of graduate school, broke as hell, but with no debt.
Old 11-11-09, 01:53 PM
RoboCheme

Bikes: 2008 Cervelo RS, 2011 Scott CR1 Elite, 2014 Volagi Liscio

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I spent $450, but that's a lot of money .... 32 years ago. Is this going to be a surprise to her? If not, have her shop with you; it'll save a lot of grief.

My former officemate got her ring at Costco - as with most Costco stuff, good quality and good value.
Old 11-11-09, 01:54 PM
tuxbailey

Bikes: 2012 Guru Praemio R - 2001 Jamis Ventura - 1990 Specialized Hard Rock (with original tires) - 2012 Trek Cobias

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
We went custom. Not only did she get what she wanted, she helped design it.
I did the same thing. My wife designed the setting and it was up to me to pick the stone to retain some "surprise."

For me, cut > color > clarity.
Old 11-11-09, 01:56 PM
khatfull
FBoD Member at Large

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
As a follow up, talk her out of an engagement ring and go here: https://www.titanium-buzz.com/ticafiri.html

You should be able to find something for the wedding on that page! Haha!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.