Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

My second build - another Chinabomb

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

My second build - another Chinabomb

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-17, 10:09 AM
wachuko

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know this is probably a waste of $$ but being new, I want to try some of the suggestions made. Once I know what works best for me then I can stop buying stuff...

Found a good deal on a set of Ultegra wheels. Added a 12-25 cassette as recommended by a fellow Floridian forum member: US$383.34 - Competitive Cyclist
Shimano Ultegra WH-6800 Road Wheelset - Clincher
Shima Ultegra 6800 Cassette 12-25

I wanted the extra set of wheels anyway... and Competitive had the price I was looking for... the cassette is more to try a different configuration and also to avoid having to switch cassettes between wheels...

There.... I am done buying parts...
Old 07-08-17, 10:12 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by wachuko
Hummm, good point. Did not think of the noise/rattle these would make like that. I can always put that small stuff into a small bag and that will avoid the rattle. I like it separate from the tube to avoid any of these tools to puncture the tube ... I do have the inner tube in a small bag of its own to add some protection to it.

Edit: found a spare bag... tools in there and in the cup. Left the cup in there instead of just placing the bag inside. If space is an issue I can always get rid of the cup. But I think it helps avoiding these tools from damaging the inner tube below.

That makes me happier, not that that's any real consideration . It must be nice to have the tool kit that's easy to move from bike to bike, easy to remember if you grab a water bottle. I use saddle bags, but have one bike without so it always takes me an extra 5 minutes to gather up the tools, when I don't forget.
Old 07-08-17, 10:16 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
Innovation is not dead.
Old 07-08-17, 10:23 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

There.... I am done buying parts...
I don't believe that and I doubt you do.

Always good to have a backup. I'd do it if I could afford it ... no that's not true. if I had a spare wheel set I'd try to build a bike around it.

Really eager to hear how the 12-25 works for you. Florida being the land of micro-mountains, I'd bet it is fine .... but for my weak self, i'd prefer 12-28 (haven't checked if there is a 12-28 Ultegra.)

On the other hand, I have hit about 40 mph on one of the very few downhills out here, so 50-11 isn't totally useless ... superfluous most of the time.
I wanted the extra set of wheels anyway... and Competitive had the price I was looking for...
Well thanks a bunch, pal. Now I have to go to their site and check their prices.

Old 07-08-17, 10:35 AM
wachuko

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
I don't believe that and I doubt you do.

Always good to have a backup. I'd do it if I could afford it ... no that's not true. if I had a spare wheel set I'd try to build a bike around it.

Really eager to hear how the 12-25 works for you. Florida being the land of micro-mountains, I'd bet it is fine .... but for my weak self, i'd prefer 12-28 (haven't checked if there is a 12-28 Ultegra.)

On the other hand, I have hit about 40 mph on one of the very few downhills out here, so 50-11 isn't totally useless ... superfluous most of the time.
Well thanks a bunch, pal. Now I have to go to their site and check their prices.

I find myself having to search several places to look for the best price. Not all vendors have all the parts, or the price for one item is much higher, etc. So there is no one-stop-shop place... Competitive Cyclist has the wheelset for 279.95 . So I got them. Last time, it was JesonUSA that had them at that price, but they are out of stock on them.
Old 07-08-17, 11:07 AM
sweetman

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great experiance

I'm definitely going to have try this. Thanks for a great post.
Old 07-08-17, 12:39 PM
wachuko

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So much for going on a ride for 20 miles... had to cut it short to get on a work related call... the good news, no rattle from the tools inside the bottle bagging everything worked.

Ride...

At least getting better at maintaining cadence... will see if weather and work allows me to go out again before the day is over...

Also, this came in while I was riding. Will install in a few minutes.

Old 07-08-17, 12:58 PM
Maelochs

Somewhat near Snow Hill mountain bike trails.
Old 07-08-17, 02:43 PM
wachuko

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Somewhat near Snow Hill mountain bike trails.
I know the area well... until last year, we used to have property right in front of the bike trail... On Snow Hill Road (Bob White Trail to be exact), loved the area and got the land with the hope of building a home... but as always, life gets in the way... children love where we are, friends, school... 15 years later we are still in the same house...

Back to the build... this was easier to install than I was expecting. Always a good thing

Old 07-10-17, 02:10 PM
wachuko

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I need to stop searching... but I ordered this... US$136.80 for 420 mm x 100 mm . If the quality is good, that is going to look great on the bike... and I will have a spare stem and handlebar in the parts bin...

2017 2017 Newest T800 Integrated Carbon Handlebar Road Bicycle Handlebar From Aaabike, $100.51 | Dhgate.Com

flame suit properly in place... flame on!!
Old 07-10-17, 02:28 PM
Maelochs

Told you, you weren't done buying parts .... is the credit card maxxed? No, cool, i just found a really sweet .......
Old 07-10-17, 02:29 PM
wachuko

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Told you, you weren't done buying parts .... is the credit card maxxed? No, cool, i just found a really sweet .......
Wife already warned me that she will take them away if I don't stop.... I am done now. I am done now I tell you!
Old 07-10-17, 02:31 PM
Maelochs

Do the bars come with the cool areo spacers?
Old 07-10-17, 02:40 PM
wachuko

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do the bars come with the cool areo spacers?
I don't know... there is a photo that shows them, but not listed in the description... I will find out when it arrives.

I had already purchased the spacers... just need the bar.

On other news, tires arrived

Last edited by wachuko; 07-10-17 at 09:35 PM.
Old 07-15-17, 05:40 AM
wachuko

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wahoo sensors, Shimano Ultegra Wheelset, 12-25 cassette, and seat came in.

I am not going for any specific weight on the build... but sharing just for kicks. This seat is 167.5 grams vs 266.7 grams for the one on the first build.

Wheels with tires... these came out to be 18 grams more than first build... go figure... I thought that Michelin tire was going to be lighter (and yes, using same inner tube as in the first build). 1375 grams vs 1357 grams. This is rear wheel, tire, inner tube, and quick release skewer.

After that, I installed the cassette and got it on the bike.

Old 07-15-17, 05:43 AM
wachuko

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Waiting for more inner tubes to arrive so that I can install the tire on the front rim. And waiting for the rest of the parts that should be here next week or mind August (LOL, got to love those shipping estimates)
Old 07-15-17, 07:04 AM
wachuko

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do not mock me - But on the first build I had the Ultegra hub not facing the same direction as the rear one (made sure I don't make that mistake in this new build). And yes, I know that makes no difference in how the bike works/behaves.

Anyway, for correcting this I had to swap around the skewer, remove and turn around the tire (it has a specific rotation direction). This was a great exercise as it allowed me to see what it would be having to fix a flat on the road. What was interesting was that working the Continental Gatorskin tires was a lot easier to install/remove than the Michelin... I might give up the cool red-stripes and just install Continental again when the time comes to replace tires.

Old 07-15-17, 10:18 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
What was interesting was that working the Continental Gatorskin tires was a lot easier to install/remove than the Michelin... I might give up the cool red-stripes and just install Continental again when the time comes to replace tires.
Once you ride the Michelin Pro4 Endurance tires, you won't want to ride Gatorskins again.
Old 07-15-17, 10:43 AM
Maelochs

Vittorio also makes some colored tires ... so does Continental but not as good as the Vittorio (290 tpi, 220 grams per tire)

As for weight ... weight doesn't really matter on an aero bike ... or a toy. Since you ride for fun and fitness, weight is not really an issue.

My Workswell is sort of light ... and I get a warm, fuzzy feeling from that ... but because it is really just a toy, I won't spend another several hundred just to save a few moe grams. Maybe I will give myself a present if I can drop another 50 lbs ... and Keep it off.

Your bike just Looks bad-a$$, and it would look that way even if you filled it with lead shot.

I am looking at the Workswell WCB-R-081 (WCB-R-081(Disc brake)-workswellbikes is the disc model but they offer v-brakes and direct-mount brakes too) .... for a longer-term project ... similar frame to yours ... not because I need another bike, or because i need an aero bike ... but because every time I went into the garage and saw it I would be happy.

For now, I am living vicariously in your garage. Warn your wife in case she goes to your virtual garage, I don't want to scare her.

Last edited by Maelochs; 07-15-17 at 10:46 AM.
Old 07-15-17, 10:50 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Do not mock me - But on the first build I had the Ultegra hub not facing the same direction as the rear one (made sure I don't make that mistake in this new build). And yes, I know that makes no difference in how the bike works/behaves.

Anyway, for correcting this I had to swap around the skewer, remove and turn around the tire (it has a specific rotation direction). This was a great exercise as it allowed me to see what it would be having to fix a flat on the road. What was interesting was that working the Continental Gatorskin tires was a lot easier to install/remove than the Michelin... I might give up the cool red-stripes and just install Continental again when the time comes to replace tires.

Just out of curiosity, does the Wahoo have the wireless range to put it on the rear wheel? Less movement and more out of the wind back there ... although I wouldn't claim that it matters.
Old 07-15-17, 11:14 AM
wachuko

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
Once you ride the Michelin Pro4 Endurance tires, you won't want to ride Gatorskins again.
Vittorio also makes some colored tires ... so does Continental but not as good as the Vittorio (290 tpi, 220 grams per tire)

As for weight ... weight doesn't really matter on an aero bike ... or a toy. Since you ride for fun and fitness, weight is not really an issue.

My Workswell is sort of light ... and I get a warm, fuzzy feeling from that ... but because it is really just a toy, I won't spend another several hundred just to save a few moe grams. Maybe I will give myself a present if I can drop another 50 lbs ... and Keep it off.

Your bike just Looks bad-a$$, and it would look that way even if you filled it with lead shot.

I am looking at the Workswell WCB-R-081 (WCB-R-081(Disc brake)-workswellbikes is the disc model but they offer v-brakes and direct-mount brakes too) .... for a longer-term project ... similar frame to yours ... not because I need another bike, or because i need an aero bike ... but because every time I went into the garage and saw it I would be happy.

For now, I am living vicariously in your garage. Warn your wife in case she goes to your virtual garage, I don't want to scare her.
Yeah, I am not really worried about the weight. Just found the weight differences interesting.

And great to read the feedback on the Michelin. But man were those more difficult to install than the Gatorskin!

I did find some Continental Ultra Sport II 700x25c in Black/Red... ordered a set as the price was good... since these were the only ones I found in 25 with black/red combo. So I have tires to last me until 2020

Have a great weekend.
Old 07-15-17, 11:53 AM
tko365

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes I mount mine on the rear wheel for the same reasons.

Originally Posted by wphamilton
Just out of curiosity, does the Wahoo have the wireless range to put it on the rear wheel? Less movement and more out of the wind back there ... although I wouldn't claim that it matters.
Old 07-15-17, 12:24 PM
wachuko

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tko365
Good to know. I will do the same. Thank you!
Old 07-15-17, 12:33 PM
wachuko

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Groupset just arrived!

Started installing a few things. Can't work much on the front as the thin aero spacers, stem, and bars are not here to properly measure and cut the fork tube... but I can install the crank and rear brake caliper!

Old 07-15-17, 12:49 PM
wachuko

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tko365
I had to leave it in the front wheel... does not fit in rear wheel hub I will check with the other wheels when the arrive... maybe the setup in those is different.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.