Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

My second build - another Chinabomb

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

My second build - another Chinabomb

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-17, 10:17 AM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
you don't need the chain breaker (that mini tool looks like it has one). Bike is looking good!

Last edited by superdex; 07-21-17 at 10:21 AM.
Old 07-22-17, 07:51 AM
wachuko

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by superdex
you don't need the chain breaker (that mini tool looks like it has one). Bike is looking good!
Thank you!

On the chain breaker, the one on my first build has the chain breaker... not this one. I also carry a chain pin and a chain quick link... so ready for anything.

On other news, bottle cages arrived. Installed and tool kit in place.

And I did my first 20 miles ride! Not focused on the speed for now... trying to maintain cadence at around 80... my speed is around

Old 07-22-17, 09:36 AM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
nice work, it's giving a lot of us (second, third, fourth) thoughts of going in this direction

a side note on all the tools --unless you're planning on 3-week self-supported tours, you'll find over time that you'll not need or use all that stuff. A tube (or two if you're paranoid), a tire lever, pump, and a mini tool is pretty much all you'll need on a road bike. A mtn bike, I'd probably carry more, just because the propensity to bang into "things" is higher....
Old 07-22-17, 10:12 AM
deex

Bikes: Giant TCR SL 1, Niner Air 9, Motobecane Fantom Cross Pro

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by superdex
nice work, it's giving a lot of us (second, third, fourth) thoughts of going in this direction

a side note on all the tools --unless you're planning on 3-week self-supported tours, you'll find over time that you'll not need or use all that stuff. A tube (or two if you're paranoid), a tire lever, pump, and a mini tool is pretty much all you'll need on a road bike. A mtn bike, I'd probably carry more, just because the propensity to bang into "things" is higher....
This ^^^

I have done century rides with an extra tube, a co2 cartridge and some levers. Unless you are planning on doing a tune up in the middle of a 20 mile ride you do not need all those tools. Less weight, more go go!

You need to start riding more. The more you ride, the fitter you get and the more enjoyment that you experience.
Old 07-22-17, 10:54 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Ross
Derailleur hanger snapped, causing RD to swing around and saw completely through the right seat stay. Vacation over. Mercifully he wasn't hurt. But man, karma's a *****...
I don't think you understand the definition of "karma". Maybe you could apply the word "irony" to that story, but that's about it.
Old 07-22-17, 10:57 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
I just bought a Chinese frame to replace my broken Felt. An LTK 118.

It's the same frame Ribble is using as their ultimate sl, so should be pretty good. Excited to get back to a proper BSA bottom bracket.
Old 07-22-17, 12:03 PM
wachuko

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by deex
...You need to start riding more. The more you ride, the fitter you get and the more enjoyment that you experience.
Baby steps, baby steps... getting there... started with just 5 miles, 10, 15... this weekend doing 20 miles rides... at first I was going about it in the wrong way, trying to maintain speed with no awareness of cadence. Comments from forum members got me to look at this in the proper way. So now I am focusing on cadence, my average speed today was back to the 14 mph I was seeing before. I will continue to extend the distance until I can join friends at work that are doing 50-100 miles rides (they average something like 18-20 mph... so I have a long way to go ) . But baby steps... I am enjoying the process to get there
Old 07-26-17, 09:09 AM
tapieromateo

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nycphotography

In Colombia the mechanic wanted to straighten my hanger while prepping my bike. I made him call around and verify that a shop in the city had the hanger on hand before I let him start bending on mine. Just in case.
Hey John!

Who was that? Wilson? or Zarco?
Old 07-26-17, 11:24 AM
nycphotography
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
Hey Mateo! I don't remember, but it was the shop in Rio Negro. Black or gray stone w/ the metal mesh front walls? He called around and made sure someone had one on hand in Medellin before I let him start yanking on it.

You thinking about building one of these "ya sure, real Pinarello" for yourself so you can ride with those cool kids we kept seeing down there?
Old 07-26-17, 11:47 AM
tapieromateo

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nycphotography
Hey Mateo! I don't remember, but it was the shop in Rio Negro. Black or gray stone w/ the metal mesh front walls? He called around and made sure someone had one on hand in Medellin before I let him start yanking on it.

You thinking about building one of these "ya sure, real Pinarello" for yourself so you can ride with those cool kids we kept seeing down there?
not actually for myself, but for Mariana. Would be nice to get her a really pretty frame that she enjoys riding more. looks better ride better I guess.

I'm actually putting together a Ritchey Swiss Cross (check the SwissCross for Gravel thread in the Recreational CX and Gravelriding section)

But need to get some stuff going. Get a new set of wheels for the tarmac, and put the tarmac's wheels on the ritchey, get a full groupset, and some wheels... Need to get a few tours coming our way to put it together
Old 07-26-17, 01:45 PM
wachuko

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Do the bars come with the cool areo spacers?
Yes... but not as nice as the original units. I am guessing that if you have not seen the original ones, these would not look bad at all... but I did... so sticking with the ones I already have.

Stock/original on the right.

Spacers match at the front... but shaped bit different at the opposite end. Here you can see the difference. Original spacer on top.

These are the spacers and cover included with the handlebar

and the handlebar

Old 07-26-17, 01:55 PM
wachuko

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tires also arrived... these came with the adapter for the bottom bracket and the extra rear hanger that I had requested. All this goes to storage for now.

Wheels and tires mounted. Also placed the bike on the rack resting on the center post just to be able to take the photo with the rear light as well... removing light and holding the bike again by seat post.

Old 07-26-17, 02:47 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
Those are Definitely the right wheels.
Old 07-26-17, 02:54 PM
wachuko

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Those are Definitely the right wheels.
Can't argue there... those sure look nice
Old 07-26-17, 07:59 PM
ChanceG

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Tarmac Pro SRAM 2010 Trek 7.5 FX

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Those wheels set off the whole look of the bike, nice touch
Old 07-27-17, 12:12 AM
nycphotography
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by tapieromateo
not actually for myself, but for Mariana. Would be nice to get her a really pretty frame that she enjoys riding more. looks better ride better I guess.
Nice! Make hers pretty
Old 07-31-17, 02:00 PM
Reacher

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice build. Just got into cycling and wish I could complete a build like this.
Old 08-01-17, 02:01 PM
Masque

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, 2011 and 2017

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Reacher
Well, the good news is that you can. It's relatively inexpensive, and as you've seen from wachuko's efforts, you don't have to buy all the pieces at once!

Plenty of help available on multiple forums if you're not sure how to get started.
Old 08-01-17, 02:59 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

You can follow Wachuko's post, or another over in Sand and Gravel, (https://www.bikeforums.net/recreation...rdo-build.html) with step-by-step instructions, plus You-Tube has videos on the entire process from mining the ore to smelting the metal to drawing the tubes ... I haven;'t looked into frame design, but i am sure it is there ... and Absolutely every thing imaginable about assembling the parts once you have them.

If you are even slightly mechanically adept, you will have no problem building a bike. If you lack opposable thumbs and have zero coordination, you will find it challenging but possible---I speak from experience.

Parts: Frame $500, Wheels $300-$500, Groupset $400-$600, cockpit $100-$500. Tools another $100-$200 depending what you have and want ... and tools last a lifetime.

You can build an awesome and fairly lightweight and very fun bike for $1500 and it is Your bike ...
Old 08-01-17, 05:38 PM
exmechanic89

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Bike is coming along great, OP.
Old 08-01-17, 05:51 PM
wachuko

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Masque
Well, the good news is that you can. It's relatively inexpensive, and as you've seen from wachuko's efforts, you don't have to buy all the pieces at once!

Plenty of help available on multiple forums if you're not sure how to get started.
You can follow Wachuko's post, or another over in Sand and Gravel, (https://www.bikeforums.net/recreation...rdo-build.html) with step-by-step instructions, plus You-Tube has videos on the entire process from mining the ore to smelting the metal to drawing the tubes ... I haven;'t looked into frame design, but i am sure it is there ... and Absolutely every thing imaginable about assembling the parts once you have them.

If you are even slightly mechanically adept, you will have no problem building a bike. If you lack opposable thumbs and have zero coordination, you will find it challenging but possible---I speak from experience.

Parts: Frame $500, Wheels $300-$500, Groupset $400-$600, cockpit $100-$500. Tools another $100-$200 depending what you have and want ... and tools last a lifetime.

You can build an awesome and fairly lightweight and very fun bike for $1500 and it is Your bike ...
What they said! Go for it!! We are all here to help if you get stuck
Old 08-01-17, 06:00 PM
wachuko

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by exmechanic89
Bike is coming along great, OP.
Thank you

A few more things came in... trying to decide what to go with as far as the handlebar... the handlebar for this stem has not arrived...

Old 08-01-17, 08:27 PM
deex

Bikes: Giant TCR SL 1, Niner Air 9, Motobecane Fantom Cross Pro

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Too much equipment, not enough riding. Lol

I want to start hearing that you are going on 50+ mile rides and feedback on how you like your build. It takes me at least 200 miles of riding to really dial in my bikes. If you really want to have tons of fun make your next build a gravel bike and hit all the beautiful levees and dirt road that Florida has to offer.

I can guarantee that you'll be hooked.

For some reason I like your first chinabomb build more. Maybe the red in this one makes it look cheap.
Old 08-01-17, 08:59 PM
Danny01

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by deex
Too much equipment, not enough riding. Lol

I want to start hearing that you are going on 50+ mile rides and feedback on how you like your build. It takes me at least 200 miles of riding to really dial in my bikes. If you really want to have tons of fun make your next build a gravel bike and hit all the beautiful levees and dirt road that Florida has to offer.

I can guarantee that you'll be hooked.

For some reason I like your first chinabomb build more. Maybe the red in this one makes it look cheap.
+1. Really was diggin your first one. the red in the tires and seatpost are a bit much
Old 08-01-17, 09:42 PM
Maelochs

I think the honey moon is officially over.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.