Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What road bike do you have?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

What road bike do you have?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-18, 06:09 PM
fried bake

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts
Thanks--It's almost hard to believe that it was once a thing.
Old 05-05-18, 01:44 AM
Timo 2.0

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by fried bake
Thanks--It's almost hard to believe that it was once a thing.
AFAIK Lemond was the only rider who used them in European pro races (provided sponsor Scott with a very nice billboard) but in the US cycling scene whey were wide-spread for a while. Specialized also made handlebars like that

Old 05-05-18, 04:09 PM
jordanair45
Banned.

Bikes: 16' SS Hi-Mod, 15' CAAD12

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Fresh outta the box.

Old 05-08-18, 04:06 AM
Timo 2.0

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Shilpa111
Hi guys,I don't know how to post so many pictures in this concept?please let me know once
New members are not allowed to post images before they made ten posts (I had the same problem a few weeks ago)
Old 05-09-18, 01:12 PM
Ghostknife

Bikes: 14 DiamondBack Interval Carbon, 14 Specialized Fatboy Expert, 08 Specialized Langster London, '78 Raleigh Sports

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by jordanair45
Fresh outta the box.

Nice Diamondback!

Old 05-09-18, 02:39 PM
7daysaweek
Ouch... my knees.

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 2 Posts
My CAAD.
Old 05-09-18, 03:16 PM
Ghostknife

Bikes: 14 DiamondBack Interval Carbon, 14 Specialized Fatboy Expert, 08 Specialized Langster London, '78 Raleigh Sports

Liked 34 Times in 18 Posts
That is a very awesome color!
Old 05-09-18, 09:18 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by 7daysaweek
My CAAD.
Nice looking ride!
Old 05-11-18, 11:41 AM
7daysaweek
Ouch... my knees.

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GeneO
Nice looking ride!
Thanks. It's gonna need a new chain soon... I'm wondering if it would look cool or dumb with a gold chain. What do you guys think?
Old 05-11-18, 01:10 PM
maartendc

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts
Thanks. It's gonna need a new chain soon... I'm wondering if it would look cool or dumb with a gold chain. What do you guys think?
Well, only if you get other accessories for the bike in gold too, such as gold brake calipers or gold cable housings. I think the gold and purple would look cool together.

Otherwise, better to stick with just silver, doesnt make sense to just color the chain imho.

Nice looking bike!
Old 05-11-18, 03:01 PM
NameTaken

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You guys have some amazing bikes. Here's my humble Contend 1 which I am pretty content with.

Old 05-11-18, 06:07 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
NOOOooooo.
Old 05-14-18, 11:24 AM
maartendc

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclebycle13
Wilier Zero.6 Nothing like a sub-11.5 lb bike with clinchers.
Gorgeous bike, like the color and subtle stripes.
Old 05-14-18, 03:39 PM
mbw

Bikes: 18’ Trek Domane SLR, 06’ Trek 1500

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New Bike Day! OMG its smooth. Very clearly the only thing that can be improved now is me. (Engine really needs to catch up now! way behind the hardware)
2018 Trek Domane SLR Project One, with "solid logo" paint in Waterloo Blue and Trek Black logo.
60cm . (i am not sure if I could have used a 58... The saddle to bar drop is less than my old setup and its already slammed. I will get the post cut down)
Upgraded from an SLR 6 config to this, with Aeolus Pro 3 wheels and I am on Hutchinson Sector 28 (28mm tubeless.)
Had some black/carbon Tacx tao cages, but decided to try the Bontrager RL cages in matching Waterloo Blue (thoughts?)
Compact with 11-32t cassette (Live in hilly area with steep climbs, for me anyway)
Blendr setup with garmin mount and 3d printed mount for cygolite on the gopro blendr mount.

The hydro discs feel very different from my 5800 105 rim brakes. Very interesting how much feel you have in moderate braking.
Still need to break it in, but the Ultegra 8000 seems nice. I like the hoods, you can barely tell they are hydro.

2018 Domane SLR Project one, 60cm, Waterloo Blue, Bontrager Aeolus Pro 3 wheels.

Last edited by mbw; 05-31-18 at 10:06 AM.
Old 05-14-18, 05:57 PM
ReneV

Bikes: FM098-V2, '16 Synapse

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had uploaded my bikes in their everyday config a few pages back but thought my multi-day TT setup on my 58cm DengFu FM098-V2 might be more interesting.
- Ultegra Di2
- SRAM Red crank+brakes
- Extralite 52/36 chainrings
- DA 11-28T cassette
- XPedo Thrust SL pedals
- HED Jet 6 + wheels
- 23c Michelin Power Competition tires (w/Vredestein latex tubes)
- Pro Stealth saddle
- Pro Vibe stem, 130mm/17degrees
- 3T Aeronova Team Stealth handlebars, 40cm
- Syntace C3 aero clip-ons, large
- Syntace cork tape

Last edited by ReneV; 05-15-18 at 06:46 PM.
Old 05-23-18, 03:54 AM
Khashi

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What is my bike's brand?

Anybody can help me to find out the brand of my bike? It has a "ROYAL" sticket on the steerer tube and "FIT" logo on the brake-plate attaching the seat stays. Frame number is KD62123695, which I have no clue belongs to which manufacturi9ng system.
Old 05-23-18, 06:41 AM
Davet
Licensed Bike Geek

Bikes: Look 585, Kirk Terraplane, Serotta Ottrott, Spectrum Super Custom, Hampsten Carbon Leger Tournesol

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Khashi
Anybody can help me to find out the brand of my bike? It has a "ROYAL" sticket on the steerer tube and "FIT" logo on the brake-plate attaching the seat stays. Frame number is KD62123695, which I have no clue belongs to which manufacturi9ng system.
you should post pics.
Old 05-23-18, 07:35 AM
Khashi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Davet

you should post pics.
I know and I tried too. Forum prevents me to upload any pic as I am a new member. But I can send you the pics if you agree.
Old 06-01-18, 10:30 AM
minerva79

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Been drooling over this bike for a looong time. Finally gotten a used one today in immaculate conditions for $1.4k. Had a bit of fun cycling around the marina area.
Old 06-03-18, 07:19 PM
SportsFans

Bikes: Wilier Zero9 (2015), Fuji Royale (1978)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awesome!

Originally Posted by cyclebycle13
Wilier Zero.6 Nothing like a sub-11.5 lb bike with clinchers.
Awesome!
Old 06-04-18, 10:54 AM
LisaG5

Bikes: 1980's Peugeot Monaco

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I need help choosing

Hello!
I'm struggling to decide which bike to get. I've been riding a 1988 Peugeot Monaco with drop bars but I really need to have something new. Currently, I only ride on roads but maybe in the future I'd want to add packed gravel to my list. So, I'm considering Diamondbacks for affordability and quality (I don't need top of the line and neither can I afford). I have a tight budget. I'm considering the ladies Airen and the Haanjen Tero. I can change out tires on the Airen to a little wider tire but that adds an extra expense of $75 per tire. I may be overthinking this because any new bike at this point is better than what I've been riding. Any thoughts on either bike? I'm listening. Thank you!

Last edited by LisaG5; 06-04-18 at 11:01 AM.
Old 06-04-18, 09:24 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by LisaG5
Hello!
I'm struggling to decide which bike to get. I've been riding a 1988 Peugeot Monaco with drop bars but I really need to have something new. Currently, I only ride on roads but maybe in the future I'd want to add packed gravel to my list. So, I'm considering Diamondbacks for affordability and quality (I don't need top of the line and neither can I afford). I have a tight budget. I'm considering the ladies Airen and the Haanjen Tero. I can change out tires on the Airen to a little wider tire but that adds an extra expense of $75 per tire. I may be overthinking this because any new bike at this point is better than what I've been riding. Any thoughts on either bike? I'm listening. Thank you!
I don't think you are overthinking things. Both new bikes are different enough that it's a tough choice based upon the amount and type of riding you do currently. So in that vein, what riding do you do currently? I know you said only roads, but is that for a commute to work or other places, or is it strictly recreational? Fast or slow rider (or rather, do you like to push it and go as fast as you can or do you prefer leisurely paces)? Do you have to haul the bike up a flight (or three!) of stairs or is carrying not an issue?

Gauging your desire to go off road is difficult over the internet. I understand the desire to have a bit of a 'Swiss Army Knife' of a bike, it's why people get SUVs, trucks (sometimes), and mountain bikes, but then they get driven on pavement for much of the time. If you could expand on the desire to run dirt/gravel, which I know has been a blossoming segment?

Comparing both bikes, the Haanjenn Tero is more expensive by a notable sum.
Both have low gearing for hills and crummy terrain--Airen has a 50/34T front, Haanjenn is 46/34T. Both have 11-32T cassettes out back which is nice.
The Haanjenn has a lower-spec component group--Claris--versus the Airen's one level higher Sora. Both groups are very proven and reliable, but you do get an extra gear/cog/'speed' with the Airen (9 vs 8), which makes the gear ratio jump less when shifting up or down.
Both have disc brakes, which is great for riding in the rain (like, if you commute) or mud as stopping power in the wet is essentially identical (or super close) to dry weather stopping power.
The Haanjenn is heavier - 25.3 lb vs. 22.87 for the Airden, if weight is a concern. ~2.5 lbs is an appreciable difference and I notice it with my bikes.
Obviously as the Haanjenn is a gravel/cross/adventure/whatever-you-want, it has clearance for bigger tires. The Airen comes with 28mm tires, but I bet 32mm tires would fit (I'd ask them first, though), which would allow you to fit bigger rubber.

If you're going to run on the road primarily, then the Airen makes sense. It is built for the road and has the geometry to be responsive there. The Haanjenn will be a little more cumbersome on the road with its geometry and much larger, heavier 37mm tires, but will be happier if you do primarily gravel riding with it. If you can answer the type-of-riding questions for yourself, and are also able to test ride both bikes (much better than internet guessing!), then that will really help you decide.

Last edited by RiddleOfSteel; 06-04-18 at 09:28 PM.
Old 06-05-18, 08:02 AM
LisaG5

Bikes: 1980's Peugeot Monaco

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
I don't think you are overthinking things. Both new bikes are different enough that it's a tough choice based upon the amount and type of riding you do currently. So in that vein, what riding do you do currently? I know you said only roads, but is that for a commute to work or other places, or is it strictly recreational? Fast or slow rider (or rather, do you like to push it and go as fast as you can or do you prefer leisurely paces)? Do you have to haul the bike up a flight (or three!) of stairs or is carrying not an issue?

Gauging your desire to go off road is difficult over the internet. I understand the desire to have a bit of a 'Swiss Army Knife' of a bike, it's why people get SUVs, trucks (sometimes), and mountain bikes, but then they get driven on pavement for much of the time. If you could expand on the desire to run dirt/gravel, which I know has been a blossoming segment?

Comparing both bikes, the Haanjenn Tero is more expensive by a notable sum.
Both have low gearing for hills and crummy terrain--Airen has a 50/34T front, Haanjenn is 46/34T. Both have 11-32T cassettes out back which is nice.
The Haanjenn has a lower-spec component group--Claris--versus the Airen's one level higher Sora. Both groups are very proven and reliable, but you do get an extra gear/cog/'speed' with the Airen (9 vs 8), which makes the gear ratio jump less when shifting up or down.
Both have disc brakes, which is great for riding in the rain (like, if you commute) or mud as stopping power in the wet is essentially identical (or super close) to dry weather stopping power.
The Haanjenn is heavier - 25.3 lb vs. 22.87 for the Airden, if weight is a concern. ~2.5 lbs is an appreciable difference and I notice it with my bikes.
Obviously as the Haanjenn is a gravel/cross/adventure/whatever-you-want, it has clearance for bigger tires. The Airen comes with 28mm tires, but I bet 32mm tires would fit (I'd ask them first, though), which would allow you to fit bigger rubber.

If you're going to run on the road primarily, then the Airen makes sense. It is built for the road and has the geometry to be responsive there. The Haanjenn will be a little more cumbersome on the road with its geometry and much larger, heavier 37mm tires, but will be happier if you do primarily gravel riding with it. If you can answer the type-of-riding questions for yourself, and are also able to test ride both bikes (much better than internet guessing!), then that will really help you decide.

Thanks so much for your thoughts and suggestions. I'm getting into my biking routine that I was in during last summer and fall but with my busy schedule; wife, mother, job, driver of 2, etc. I, unfortunately, made no time for it. Typically, I was/am riding anywhere from 50-100 miles per week. It varied based on my schedule and all riding was road or asphalt trail along roads. I'm a solitary rider as I prefer my "me" time. I like speed and distance but not hung up so much on speed. More important for me to keep a steady pace as I need to shed some pounds. I do, however, want to start looking into trails and where I live (the Lowcountry of SC) there are no hills so I have none of that to contend with. I have 2 brothers who are avid cyclists in different parts of the country so they threw in their 2 cents. One is more road cycling and the other 150 miles back trails from one state to another. Fortunately, one of them works for a company that offers discounts to employees from Raleigh and Diamondback, hence the reason I chose Diamondback. The difference in pricing between the two bikes was a mere $85 dollars so I didn't even factor that in. From what I understand, the customer service folks at Diamondback said I have more options with the Haanjen with the tires. Affordability of the slicks for that bike is much better. Changing out tires for the Airen would have limited me to a 32, I think they said. I do not have to haul the bike up any steps. I lift it to put in on hooks in the garage. Perhaps with my new bike, I'll have to learn the "proper" way to store the bicycle. With a tiny bit of apprehension, I decided on the Haanjen Tero and am super excited about receiving it and riding it. As I said, either way it will be a huge step up from my 1988 Peugeot which I'm still trying to sell. Until then, thanks for taking the time to comment and share your expertise!
Old 06-06-18, 12:41 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by LisaG5
Thanks so much for your thoughts and suggestions. I'm getting into my biking routine that I was in during last summer and fall but with my busy schedule; wife, mother, job, driver of 2, etc. I, unfortunately, made no time for it. Typically, I was/am riding anywhere from 50-100 miles per week. It varied based on my schedule and all riding was road or asphalt trail along roads. I'm a solitary rider as I prefer my "me" time. I like speed and distance but not hung up so much on speed. More important for me to keep a steady pace as I need to shed some pounds. I do, however, want to start looking into trails and where I live (the Lowcountry of SC) there are no hills so I have none of that to contend with. I have 2 brothers who are avid cyclists in different parts of the country so they threw in their 2 cents. One is more road cycling and the other 150 miles back trails from one state to another. Fortunately, one of them works for a company that offers discounts to employees from Raleigh and Diamondback, hence the reason I chose Diamondback. The difference in pricing between the two bikes was a mere $85 dollars so I didn't even factor that in. From what I understand, the customer service folks at Diamondback said I have more options with the Haanjen with the tires. Affordability of the slicks for that bike is much better. Changing out tires for the Airen would have limited me to a 32, I think they said. I do not have to haul the bike up any steps. I lift it to put in on hooks in the garage. Perhaps with my new bike, I'll have to learn the "proper" way to store the bicycle. With a tiny bit of apprehension, I decided on the Haanjen Tero and am super excited about receiving it and riding it. As I said, either way it will be a huge step up from my 1988 Peugeot which I'm still trying to sell. Until then, thanks for taking the time to comment and share your expertise!
You are welcome! I don't think either DB bike would be a bad choice. Being in Seattle, DB and Raleigh both have headquarters about 15 miles or so, and the non-profit bike shop that I volunteer at sometimes gets spare DB or Raleigh product at the end of the year. I really like DB's paint jobs--colors and graphics. Raleigh, too. I like my nice older bikes, but these new ones from them are modest in price, decently spec'd, solid, and have a handsome/pretty finish. Hard to beat that! I think the Haanjenn Tero will be a sweet bike--I would be excited, too. You can put smoother, smaller, and much lighter tires on if needed, but yeah, you have the big tires for going over just about anything. Enjoy it!
Old 06-08-18, 06:23 PM
aprieto28

Bikes: Kuwahara Tandem, Centurion Ironman, Rossin, De bernardi, Schwinn Paramount, Giubilato, Gitane TDF, Medici, Scott Solice.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 21 Posts
Centurion Ironman Expert

1987 Centurion Ironman Expert

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.