Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

FAVORITE bike movie, not BEST. subjectivity is the point of this thread ...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.
View Poll Results: top of the podium for YOU ???
breaking away
39.39%
American flyers
7.58%
quicksilver
3.03%
other
50.00%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

FAVORITE bike movie, not BEST. subjectivity is the point of this thread ...

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-17, 11:49 PM
sleepy

Bikes: All have flats.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Pee Wee's Big Adventure always and forever. A simple story of a boy and his quest for his beloved bicycle with a soundtrack from Danny Elfman. My favorite Tim Burton flick.

Premium Rush and it catches the hustle of a modern messenger, and watching Michael Shandon chew up scenery is a treat.

American Flyers for the awesome Colorado Racing scenes. Watching the Allez in action gets the stoke going!
Old 09-20-17, 01:50 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked 4,611 Times in 1,765 Posts
Another vote for other: Totó al Giro d'Italia

This film has a lot going for it:
  • made in one of the most interesting periods in history of cycling: the late forties
  • the best riders of the day are all part of the international cast, and are clearly having fun doing it
  • a classic comedy that is quite funny - at least I think so
  • has one of my all-time favorite film scenes in it:
Totò is on a winning streak, and the other riders are trying to find out his secret. When some of them visit him in his room after another stage win, they think they have discovered his secret doping: cigars! The next morning the whole peloton appears at the starting line smoking cigars like there's no tomorrow. The manager is upset and tries to stop them, but then Fausto Coppi walks onto the scene ....

Old 09-20-17, 04:05 AM
hobbs1951
Velominatus

Bikes: 1986 SBDU Raleigh, 1984 Raleigh Corsa, 1980 Allin Stan Butler Special, 2 x late 1960s Roberts, 1978 Philbook, 1964 Allin Belgique, 1959 Allin Stan Butler Special, 1951 Higgins Plus Parfait, 1951 Hobbs of Barbican, 1913 Centaur Featherweight.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 23 Posts
You guys might not get this; the film is Les Bicyclettes de Belsize -

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xcpdvm_les-bicyclettes-de-belsize-opening_shortfilms
a period favourite of mine.

Jhn.
Old 09-20-17, 05:19 AM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 992 Times in 491 Posts
Originally Posted by uncle uncle
And shamelessly, I'm going to give a favorite anime bicycling movie a plug. I find the artwork amazing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABdsBoqLtSc
And it opens with a convertible VW Beetle - it doesn't get much better than that!
Old 09-20-17, 06:22 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 730 Times in 353 Posts
There's a great little student film on youtube about a Chicago cyclist Oliver Popadich. Filmed in the mid 70's. It includes a brief interview with Mike Neel who was the great american hope at the time.
Old 09-20-17, 09:04 AM
cbrstar
BMX Connoisseur

Bikes: 1988 Kuwahara Newport, 1983 Nishiki, 1984 Diamond Back Viper, 1991 Dyno Compe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by uncle uncle
As others have sorta said, but with my own spin on it, Breaking Away is a 'coming of age story' which uses bicycling as the venue for it, which is why it's my favorite of those posted within 3 choices given. My own coming of age had bicycling plugged into it's mix, so the story is much relatable to my own. It is, imho, a far better written storyline (with vastly better dialogue) than the other two main contenders. If I raced bicycles, or lost a fortune and decided I should be a bike messenger, my opinion might be swayed.

And shamelessly, I'm going to give a favorite anime bicycling movie a plug. I find the artwork amazing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABdsBoqLtSc
That's a fantastic movie!
Old 09-20-17, 09:33 AM
lasauge 
Pedalin' Erry Day

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 367 Times in 198 Posts
Like the posters above, I'd pick Nasu: Summer in Andalusia as my favorite bike movie.
Old 09-20-17, 10:02 AM
brianmcg123

Bikes: 2013 Trek Madone; 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I voted 'other'. I get that not loving 'Breaking Away' is sacrilege, but its just hilariously poorly scripted and acted. The parents are hardly well developed characters and if they were, it would be so much better since the entire overarching storyline is Dave's poor relationship with his father. Also, the controversy and tension between the townies and college kids is hilarious. Its forced and shown in the most extreme of ways. Funny that IU wanted its students to be portrayed in such an unrealistically negative way.h.
Is that why it was nominated for 4 oscars (Best Picture, Best Screenplay, Best Director, and Best Supporting Actress - Barabara Barrie) and won Best Screenplay.
Old 09-20-17, 10:28 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10969 Post(s)
Liked 7,495 Times in 4,191 Posts
Originally Posted by brianmcg123
Is that why it was nominated for 4 oscars (Best Picture, Best Screenplay, Best Director, and Best Supporting Actress - Barabara Barrie) and won Best Screenplay.
Oh my gosh- his mom's character was nominated for an award that wasnt a Razzie?!?!
Good lord- 1979(or whenever) must have been a horrific year for the academy to have to find options to nominate.
----please dont now go back and look at movies from that year and get into a pissingmatch. Its clearly just an opinion of mine.

Few things though, in all seriousness-

- i really am shocked his mom's character was nominated for anything. it was incredibly 1 dimensional and the character was played like she had given up on caring in life. either that, or she was just numb from meds.

- perhaps my expectations are altered because of the significantly better overall cinematography- directing, acting, and scripts- that have been present in movies since the 80s.

- the oscars are called a joke year after year in modern day due to what is selected and not selected. This is by fans and critics alike. Why would it have been any different back then?

If the parents were portrayed with less drama and more accurate emotion, the movie would have flowed much better and wouldnt have felt as hilted and inconsistent. just food for thought.
Old 09-20-17, 10:50 AM
kingsting
Bicycle Repairman

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 18 Posts
I'm on board with Rad! So much 80's awfulness is what makes it great!
Old 09-20-17, 10:56 AM
IVARR

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Oh my gosh- his mom's character was nominated for an award that wasnt a Razzie?!?!
Good lord- 1979(or whenever) must have been a horrific year for the academy to have to find options to nominate.
----please dont now go back and look at movies from that year and get into a pissingmatch. Its clearly just an opinion of mine.

- i really am shocked his mom's character was nominated for anything. it was incredibly 1 dimensional and the character was played like she had given up on caring in life. either that, or she was just numb from meds.

- perhaps my expectations are altered because of the significantly better overall cinematography- directing, acting, and scripts- that have been present in movies since the 80s.

- the oscars are called a joke year after year in modern day due to what is selected and not selected. This is by fans and critics alike. Why would it have been any different back then?

If the parents were portrayed with less drama and more accurate emotion, the movie would have flowed much better and wouldnt have felt as hilted and inconsistent. just food for thought.

he rode the bike ...
Old 09-20-17, 11:05 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10969 Post(s)
Liked 7,495 Times in 4,191 Posts
Originally Posted by IVARR
he rode the bike ...
Cryptic
Old 09-20-17, 11:14 AM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
My vote goes to:

The Triplets of Belleville

(Les Triplettes de Belleville)

Is it a cycling movie? Close enough.
Old 09-20-17, 11:37 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
We will have to agree to disagree @mstateglfr.
Old 09-20-17, 12:41 PM
Bikerider007

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 30 Posts

This is why I thought it had comedic value. It was a bit cheesy, I was almost embarrassed for the kid. And to add fuel to this fire. I also think the 80's was quite possibly the greatest era of steel and bikes in general.
Old 09-20-17, 12:43 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 398 Posts
Old 09-20-17, 12:55 PM
showlow

Bikes: Lemond Zurich, All City Macho King Ace

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 33 Posts
American Flyers is my number one. I cringe at the cheesiness of that movie, but it's all part of the fun for me. There are so many hilarious one-liners ("You wouldn't know a ____ if it banged you all night long!") that I quote all the time. But, I legitimately and unironically enjoy it too. There is good pacing and real tension during the race scenes. Heck, one of my Sunday group rides is called The American Flyers in our Facebook chat group. Plus, I'm biased towards 80s films. I was born in 81 so 1980s culture represents childhood fun to me.

All other favorites- Pee Wee's Big Adventure, Quicksilver, Triplets of Belleville, Premium Rush and Rad.

I thoroughly dislike Breaking Away. It's a bad movie, but not in a good way
Old 09-20-17, 01:00 PM
machinist42
mycocyclist

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Paramount P-13 DeLuxe, 1964 Schwinn Sport Super Sport, 1972 Falcon San Remo, 1974 Maserati MT-1, 1974 Raleigh International, 1984 Lotus Odyssey, 198? Rossin Ghibli, 1990 LeMond Le Vanquer (sic), 1991 Specialized Allez Transition Pro, +

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 822 Times in 453 Posts
TGD too.

"Inspired to Ride". (2015)

Awful title, so I was expecting a soporific. Only bike movie I suggest people view. And, well, inspires me to do TABR when I'm 80.(I've two decades to train?)

(I do like "Triplets...", and "The Bicycle Thief" too. And I appreciate and will view some of the suggestions made in this thread which are new to me. But "Inspired..." captures something different, and taps into the ultra light bikepacking movement, which I've been awaiting for decades. I'm an unabashed fan of Lael Wilcox, though she is not in that film.)

Last edited by machinist42; 09-20-17 at 01:01 PM. Reason: being bold
Old 09-20-17, 01:01 PM
sunnyone

Bikes: 1997 Trek 850, 1992 Trek 750 Multitrack, 1983 Zebrakenko Wind, 1982 Takara Tribute, 77 Takara mixte

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Premium Rush
Old 09-20-17, 01:07 PM
Dfrost 

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 256 Posts
That hill on the Morgul Bismarck course for the dramatic race finish in “American Flyers” outside Boulder was also the site of my best race finish (2nd, dang it!) many decades ago. Sadly, no one was filming the Cat 4 race back then.
Old 09-20-17, 02:09 PM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I also voted for Breaking Away. Maybe not the best but have fond memories of watching it growing up. One recommendation of a cycling documentary is Personal Gold: An Underdog Story:

I'm not really into track cycling that much. But this documentary has some good insight into how they try to optimize their performance that I've never seen before. Cool stuff and amazing that they won a medal with so little support staff and funding. Sarah Hammer definately lives up to her name...

Last edited by ptempel; 09-20-17 at 02:13 PM.
Old 09-20-17, 02:16 PM
sdn40

Bikes: 88 Cannondale Criterium

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 91 Posts
Forgot the title but basically a bunch of college aged California girls need to make some money so they organize a bike wash and ....

Oh wait - nevermind
Old 09-20-17, 05:34 PM
High Fist Shin
Back In The Saddle

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
“The Triplets of Belleville,” FTW:

+100

I loved this movie. Even my non-cycling wife loved it. I don't think I'll ever look at frogs the same way again.

-Shin

Last edited by High Fist Shin; 09-20-17 at 05:38 PM.
Old 09-21-17, 12:11 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Le Course en Tete
My club put on a showing as a fundraiser in 1975? '76? Anyway it was held at the 20th century fox back lot theater - held 400 people, all by word of mouth, we could have filled the theater 3 times over. The audience was very enthusiastic, did not see an audience so vocal and engaged until the first run of Star Wars. Eddy of course stole the show, adjusting his saddle height on the fly during a race... Crowd went wild.
Old 09-21-17, 12:21 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
Le Course en Tete
My club put on a showing as a fundraiser in 1975? '76? Anyway it was held at the 20th century fox back lot theater - held 400 people, all by word of mouth, we could have filled the theater 3 times over. The audience was very enthusiastic, did not see an audience so vocal and engaged until the first run of Star Wars. Eddy of course stole the show, adjusting his saddle height on the fly during a race... Crowd went wild.
I just watched about 15 minutes of that, and another movie about the Giro, last night and it was surprisingly amusing and insightful. Great behind the scenes stuff, especially with the cyclists interviewing each other. I may be mixing up the two movies now...

Best part was one cyclist interviewing another to pressure him into admitting the reason he had a bad ride one day after being so strong before was because he'd eaten too much for breakfast and needed to pull over for an emergency poop.

And, during the same scene, cyclists on microphone trying to tease Merckx into easing up a bit to give the other riders a chance at winning, and Eddy just grins, shrugs and basically says "Nope."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.