Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

What tool do I use to crimp cable housing ferrules?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

What tool do I use to crimp cable housing ferrules?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-16, 11:09 AM
speedy25

Bikes: Specialized, Trek, Diamondback, Schwinn, Peugeot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 43 Posts
I re-use the crimped ends over by warming the ferrule with a propane torch to lightly melt the plastic. A little heat lets it slide on the new cable and they DONT come off. Most of the time I use that trick to shorten a cable that was cut way too long.

-SP
Old 06-20-16, 07:28 PM
MadRat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Even more trolling? Shameful.
Let's take a look at the name of that website...

For one of the nice people (they seem to out-number the trolls): the shipping makes up for any savings but the base price is still $60
Bike Tools Etc. - 1000's of bicycle tools and parts for the home mechanic!
Attached Images
File Type: png
s-fs8.png (47.1 KB, 438 views)

Last edited by MadRat; 06-20-16 at 07:32 PM.
Likes For MadRat:
Old 06-21-16, 10:50 AM
San Rensho 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
Geez guys. Stop sweating the minutae. First. Crimping any thing on shifter housing is just asking for trouble. You are going to crimp the housing which will cuaze the cable to bind. All in the pursuit of vanity. Why do you think plastic ferrules were invented? To make sure the housing end is supported but without having to crimp the housing.

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1
Old 06-21-16, 09:36 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
On the metal ferrule that is crimped, is it tight enough so it cannot be easily pulled off, or is it just tight enough to make it a snug fit but still able to be pulled off and reinserted?
Old 01-31-21, 02:31 PM
bootchop

Bikes: 82' Raleigh Grand Prix / Peugeot UE-8 / Nashzon Touring

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Im reasearching what to do about the finnishing toutch on my cables, how to crimp the ferrules on. Easy no crimp needed, but I will try and get away with a miniscule amount of glue to hold the ferrules on.
Old 01-31-21, 02:50 PM
'02 nrs

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell(sold),4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Quoted: 805 Post(s)
Liked 2,987 Times in 1,500 Posts
Originally Posted by MadRat
Even more trolling? Shameful.
Let's take a look at the name of that website...

Attachment 528453

For one of the nice people (they seem to out-number the trolls): the shipping makes up for any savings but the base price is still $60
Bike Tools Etc. - 1000's of bicycle tools and parts for the home mechanic!
thanks for posting-never have enough tools.
Old 01-31-21, 03:10 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by bootchop
Im reasearching what to do about the finnishing toutch on my cables, how to crimp the ferrules on. Easy no crimp needed, but I will try and get away with a miniscule amount of glue to hold the ferrules on.
Why on earth are you thinking they need to be glued on? There is no way they'll go anywhere once installed. You're dramatically overthinking this.
Old 01-31-21, 05:24 PM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
Just get the ferrules precrimped. They push on like 4mm housing end caps. https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...&category=1613
They look like this:

If you really want to crimp and round ferrule, Get the Knipex cable cutters.
https://www.kctoolco.com/knipex-95-6...-plastic-grip/
They have two sets of crimping dies. You can tell that the crimping die for the tips sees a lot more miles than the hex crimp, because I buy the pre-crimped end caps.

The first puts a hex crimp in the ferrules, and the second puts a beautiful crimp on both brake and derailleur cable tips:
Likes For aggiegrads:
Old 01-31-21, 08:49 PM
bootchop

Bikes: 82' Raleigh Grand Prix / Peugeot UE-8 / Nashzon Touring

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cxwrench
Why on earth are you thinking they need to be glued on? There is no way they'll go anywhere once installed. You're dramatically overthinking this.
No im not. I glued them on and now im happy.
Likes For bootchop:
Old 01-31-21, 08:56 PM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,328 Times in 784 Posts
Originally Posted by Looigi
There is one reason I know of to crimp housing ferrules. Sometimes when you turn the bars on a road bike you'll hear ticking caused by the the ends of the parallel shift housing wires walking inside the ferrules in the frame stops. Crimping the ferrules can eliminate the ticking if you're bothered by it.
Doing a proper job after cutting the cable outer will keep them from clicking - what you are hearing is the end of the cable rocking back-and-forth in its seat because it wasn't finished square. I usually take a file to the cut ends - make sure you file the far side of the cable to keep debris from falling in the liner.
Old 01-31-21, 09:03 PM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by oneclick
Doing a proper job after cutting the cable outer will keep them from clicking - what you are hearing is the end of the cable rocking back-and-forth in its seat because it wasn't finished square. I usually take a file to the cut ends - make sure you file the far side of the cable to keep debris from falling in the liner.
Yeah. Proper square end is good, but not what I'm referring to. I'm referring to the cable housing rotating, not rocking, in the ferules. It depends on the the cables and how the bike has them routed. They can have perfectly square ends done on a cut-off wheel, and still creak if they rotate when the bars are turned.

Last edited by Looigi; 01-31-21 at 09:16 PM.
Old 02-01-21, 06:52 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
I have never crimped a ferule. What's the point when cable tension holds it all together?
Old 02-02-21, 07:50 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 589 Times in 412 Posts
Originally Posted by Amt0571
I have never crimped a ferule. What's the point when cable tension holds it all together?
All I can think is the OP said it in the first post: " I like how professional it looks." To each his own, certainly a member has a right to his own preference regardless of the collective (and my) position on how professional it looks.
Old 02-02-21, 09:31 AM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
I don't use ferrules but when I installed them in a shop I used a small amount of Pliobond glue on the cable housing and slid the ferrule in place. Worked like a charm without a crimp. It looked professional and clean and no chance of over-crimping the housing. Plus, if you need to remove one, it can be removed with a little heat from a Bic lighter.
Old 02-02-21, 10:52 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by drlogik
I don't use ferrules but when I installed them in a shop I used a small amount of Pliobond glue on the cable housing and slid the ferrule in place. Worked like a charm without a crimp. It looked professional and clean and no chance of over-crimping the housing. Plus, if you need to remove one, it can be removed with a little heat from a Bic lighter.
You don't use ferrules at all?!? Even though they're meant to be used in nearly all cases by all manufacturers? What's your thinking on this?
Old 02-02-21, 03:20 PM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by Looigi
Yeah. Proper square end is good, but not what I'm referring to. I'm referring to the cable housing rotating, not rocking, in the ferules. It depends on the the cables and how the bike has them routed. They can have perfectly square ends done on a cut-off wheel, and still creak if they rotate when the bars are turned.
If that is happening, the housing itself probably isn't quite as long as it needs to be. Can you cut another section an inch longer and try it?