Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

12" non-folding bike to ride on sidewalk - Any suggestions?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-15, 07:17 PM
fold

Bikes: Paratrooper, Dahon D7, freeride 12", Yizhe 14"(1-sec-folding)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Anyone knows a good non-folding bike with 12" wheels? My current 12" folding bike is a perfect fit except it's way too heavy(30 lb.) and I don't fold it much(once per year) anymore.
I am looking for a stronger 12" bike with less moving parts and lighter frame(aluminum?). It will be used to ride on sidewalks with very low speed. Twice the speed of a pedestrian's is fine... Single speed or less than 3 speed is acceptable.
The ideal bike should be short too since I want to be less intrusive on the sidewalk among pedestrians. Preferred biking position is "sit up". Budget is below $400.00
Any ideas, bike gurus?

"I am handicapped and ride very slow. Bike lane is quite dangerous for me. Walking takes 1 hour, riding a very slow bike takes only half of the time.As Beth pointed out, riding on Embarcadero is legal in the city too. That's why I try to ride in harmony with pedestrians by having a slow, short and less intrusive bike/scooter."

Last edited by fold; 11-11-15 at 09:44 AM.
Old 11-10-15, 11:58 PM
Beth W

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I see you live in San Francisco. It's illegal for adults to ride on sidewalks in the city, except on those sidewalks that border water, such as the Embarcadero.
Old 11-11-15, 07:06 AM
fold

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, you are right. My daily commute is on Embarcadero along public shoreline.
Old 11-11-15, 07:38 AM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
My suggestion is to not ride on the sidewalk, anywhere. Bicycles belong on bike paths, bike lanes, and the road. They do not belong on the sidewalk unless you are a small child with training wheels on and learning how to ride for the first time.
Old 11-11-15, 08:43 AM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Look at mini velos. I could't recommend a brand, but get to Googling! They are supposedly pretty popular in Japan
Old 11-11-15, 08:52 AM
fold

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am handicapped and ride very slow. Bike lane is quite dangerous for me. Walking takes 1 hour, riding a very slow bike takes only half of the time. As Beth pointed out, riding on Embarcadero is legal in the city too. That's why I try to ride in harmony with pedestrians by having a slow, short and less intrusive bike/scooter.

Last edited by fold; 11-11-15 at 09:42 AM.
Old 11-11-15, 08:53 AM
fold

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks, I will check mini velos out.
Old 11-11-15, 09:16 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Wow, this guy's being given a lot more grief trying to navigate Bike Forums than he ever would while riding on the sidewalk on Embarcadero.
@fold I don't recall seeing a mini velo with 12" wheels but maybe someone else has. Most have one of the 20" wheel sizes
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 11-11-15, 10:22 AM
Mr Pink57
Did I catch a niner?

Bikes: Vassago Fisticuff/Surly Ogre/Surly Pugsley/Surly Pugsley 29+

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Something like a Cannondale Hooligan, they are discontinued now I believe but still seen for sale around. You could also talk to Bike Friday up in Eugene about making a bike that is non folding, maybe use the Haul A Day frame which just shrinks down for different reaches but does not fold.
Old 11-11-15, 11:09 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
A 12" Wheel In superlight materials "Budget is below $400.00" seems like you are dreaming

there may be some Asian made folding bikes, but not for only $400.

Sell your IT stock portfolio and put More money on the table.

Bike Friday In Eugene Oregon has Made Custom bikes for individuals with very special sizing needs .

Dwarfism and forth .. Look for the Bantam builds.. they build to order. call the 800 number , or eMail..

Last edited by fietsbob; 03-08-17 at 12:18 PM.
Old 11-11-15, 02:03 PM
Beth W

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fold
I am handicapped and ride very slow. Bike lane is quite dangerous for me. Walking takes 1 hour, riding a very slow bike takes only half of the time. As Beth pointed out, riding on Embarcadero is legal in the city too. That's why I try to ride in harmony with pedestrians by having a slow, short and less intrusive bike/scooter.
Fair enough! Sorry if my response came off as too aggressive -- I cycle and walk a lot in the city, and see plenty of cyclists who view the city's sidewalks as their personal high-speed commuter lanes. Glad you're aware and looking for an option that works well for you; I don't have any suggestions, but good luck to you.
Old 11-11-15, 02:08 PM
fold

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@fietsbob, it doesn't have to be super light. Lighter than my 15kg folding bike will be just fine.
Old 11-11-15, 02:09 PM
fold

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@Beth W, thanks
Old 11-11-15, 02:26 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Razor scooter ?

Still ,, I repeat Call Bike Friday in Eugene Oregon https://www.bikefriday.com/ 1-800-777-0258

https://www.bikefriday.com/bicycles/bantam

they will build to suit your needs and stature it will not be cheap, but you are in SFO nothing is cheap there anyhow.

( Barely scraped by in the 80's there & had to pack up and leave, )

Last edited by fietsbob; 11-11-15 at 08:10 PM.
Old 11-11-15, 02:27 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Apparently not all of the Bike Friday bikes fold.

OSATA Bike Friday - $600 (West Eugene)

However, I assume the limitation is not that the bike can't fold, but rather that it doesn't need to fold.

I don't believe I've seen any Bike Friday bikes with smaller than 16" wheels, but they still maybe able to make up something custom. Although a full custom bike would likely be quite expensive as most manufactures have a set of jigs desiged for the bikes they make.

One of the issues one runs into is that the smaller the wheels, the shorter one can make the wheelbase. But, super short wheelbase bikes become very difficult for climbing hills. If the OP is only riding on flat boardwalks, then that isn't a significant limitation.

The design of the mini-bikes gets a bit awkward as one still needs adequate crank clearance.

30 pounds is a bit heavy for a 12" bike. But, I've noticed that the smaller bikes don't necessarily shrink in weight as much as one might expect, especially if they're designed to support a normal adult.
Old 11-11-15, 02:28 PM
fold

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
found some pedaling/stepping scooters: Micro Pedalflow, half bike II, me-mover, Zike.. never tried them before. Me-mover looks comfortable but quite expensive...
Old 11-11-15, 02:30 PM
fold

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@CliffordK, thanks!
Old 11-11-15, 02:44 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by TenSpeedV2
My suggestion is to not ride on the sidewalk, anywhere. Bicycles belong on bike paths, bike lanes, and the road. They do not belong on the sidewalk unless you are a small child with training wheels on and learning how to ride for the first time.
Total fail, like with anything else its situational and conditional, to suggest anything else is negligence.
Old 11-11-15, 03:32 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7350 Post(s)
Liked 2,475 Times in 1,438 Posts
Riding on the sidewalk is illegal because so many who do it do it dangerously and inconsiderately. If you were to ride at a walking pace when near pedestrians, you can be safe and courteous. If you have a handicap, I think this is entirely justified, even if it's illegal.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-11-15, 03:40 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Riding on the sidewalk is illegal because so many who do it do it dangerously and inconsiderately. If you were to ride at a walking pace when near pedestrians, you can be safe and courteous. If you have a handicap, I think this is entirely justified, even if it's illegal.
It's legal in my area, and even encouraged in a few locations near me where the sidewalk is marked and posted.

Situational and conditional.
Old 11-11-15, 03:47 PM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by kickstart
Total fail, like with anything else its situational and conditional, to suggest anything else is negligence.
Negligence is putting pedestrians at risk, and putting yourself at risk because pedestrians are extremely unpredictable, dare I say more than vehicles. Bicycles don't belong on the sidewalk. They belong in the road with traffic. Part of the reason there is so much confusion on the road is because bikes are all over the place, paths, sidewalks, the road, etc. I cringe every time I see a bike on the sidewalk making their way through pedestrian traffic, especially where there is a bike lane right there on the road. Living near a campus, it is a common occurrence. The sidewalk is for walking and very slow moving pedestrian traffic. It is not the proper place for a bicycle.
Old 11-11-15, 04:36 PM
kickstart

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by TenSpeedV2
Negligence is putting pedestrians at risk, and putting yourself at risk because pedestrians are extremely unpredictable, dare I say more than vehicles. Bicycles don't belong on the sidewalk. They belong in the road with traffic. Part of the reason there is so much confusion on the road is because bikes are all over the place, paths, sidewalks, the road, etc. I cringe every time I see a bike on the sidewalk making their way through pedestrian traffic, especially where there is a bike lane right there on the road. Living near a campus, it is a common occurrence. The sidewalk is for walking and very slow moving pedestrian traffic. It is not the proper place for a bicycle.
Situational and conditional.

I ride a section of sidewalk of my pm commute ever day without issue as there's very few if any pedestrians, and in 20 plus years I've never seen a cyclist use anything other than the sidewalk on that particular hill.

The truth is there are times and places where the sidewalk is the best choice and has no negative on others. An inability to know when and where its OK has nothing to do with its actual suitability.
Old 11-11-15, 04:52 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2496 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 523 Posts
Of course situational, and laxly enforced in any case. The o.p. could ride on the sidewalk for years without being cited if they rode in a courteous manner. That said, "dangerous" is a perception. I know very fit and able bodied persons who think bike lanes are instant death and do not use them, ever. They ride full size bikes on the sidewalk with perfectly serviceable bike lanes right next to them. OTOH in many areas of my city (and I am in downtown!) don't have sidewalks. Pedestrians, skateboarders, people with motorized wheelchairs, all have to, and do, use the bike lanes because the grass verge that stands in for sidewalk in these areas is lumpy and full of holes, debris, etc. FWIW.

There are 16" bikes, 20" bikes but 12" sounds like a juvenile size and $400?/30lbs.?? Does not compute. I think we can scratch the custom Bike Friday. A Dahon Boardwalk? 20" I think but perfectly reasonable for sidewalk use. A Razor scooter as someone above suggested would be ideal if one really needed something a lot smaller than 16" wheels with reasonable build quality.
Old 11-11-15, 05:08 PM
NormanF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by fold
thanks, I will check mini velos out.
Respect Cycles - $389.99

Respect Cycles Mini Velo (Minivelo) V2 | Respect Cycles, Innovative bikes, for The Urban Environment.
Old 11-11-15, 05:34 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
I doubt a 12", 16", or 20" bike is any safer than a regular bike. But, I can imagine it fitting in a bit better, appearing more as a mini-scooter than a bike.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.