Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Questions Garmin 810 Edge 2013 model

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-16, 03:53 PM
Erich_E

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

There's a 810 Edge for sale that's from 2013. Does anyone know what changes have been made between that model and the current model?
Also, any thoughts on battery life from an older model? I'm wondering how the battery life is affected after 3 years.
Old 06-03-16, 05:59 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3245 Post(s)
Liked 2,092 Times in 1,184 Posts
Originally Posted by Erich_E
There's a 810 Edge for sale that's from 2013. Does anyone know what changes have been made between that model and the current model?
Also, any thoughts on battery life from an older model? I'm wondering how the battery life is affected after 3 years.
If its a new model, battery life is the same as any new model.

As well, the updates have all been in software. If you use Garmin Express and Garmin Connect, they will push the latest OS to you once you activate the device on that software, which you will want to do.

Note that while I really like my 810 for its ergonomics, functionality and capabilities, mine has crashed 3 times in about 20 rides over 6 weeks. That's not unheard of for this unit. Problem 1 for me was a badly formatted SD card, then it crashed when I decided to stop following a course and turned it off and just made it track the ride. I have no clue if the problems are solved and know that another forum member - Drew, just gave up and returned his after a short period. He reports fellow cyclists as having issues with their units. Drew reports success mostly with an 800. I won't go that route as it doesnt have any of the BlueTooth sync capability I like. Would probably get a 520 and I'm giving it one more crash then it gets returns, which is unfortunate as its otherwise a great device.
Old 06-03-16, 07:39 PM
WheresWaldo
Ride it like you stole it

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale EVO Ultegra Di2, Pedal Force Aeroblade, Rue Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
There have been no hardware changes in the 810 since release as far as I can remember, but several firmware updates. Depending on the usage battery life is likely reduced from new. How much is impossible to tell, batteries do age.
Old 06-03-16, 08:20 PM
Erich_E

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks guys. It's a used one that was bought new in 2013.
Old 06-03-16, 09:09 PM
WheresWaldo
Ride it like you stole it

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale EVO Ultegra Di2, Pedal Force Aeroblade, Rue Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
@Erich_E, please just be aware that the 810 has to be very near the end of life for Garmin. It is the only series that has not had a refresh in the last few product cycles. Garmin can't hold on to it much longer.
Old 06-04-16, 04:33 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,364 Times in 945 Posts
There have been rumors that the 810 is going to be replaced for years.

1000 is the "refreshed" 810 since any new features Garmin could add to the 810 would make it too much like the 1000 (which isn't that much more expensive). That is, an enhanced 810 would eat into the market for the 1000.

Garmin is still adding software features to the 810 and they don't have to spend money to develop a replacement. That is, it might be more profitable to keep the 810 for a while (and let people buy the 1000 if they want a better/newer 800).

The 810 might not be as reliable as the 800 (a badly formatted SD isn't relevant). But it might not too big a deal (these things are not perfect and lots of people have the 810). A replacement (I doubt there will be one this year) isn't going to be perfect either (it might be worse for a while).

The 800 is still useful (so, maybe, the 810 being replaced is not such a big deal).

I'm assuming the price you would be paying is much less than a new 810.

If you want to use it for navigation, units like the 520 are not that suitable.

My 800 was purchased in 2013 and the battery is fine.

You can replace the battery yourself for around $25.

Last edited by njkayaker; 06-04-16 at 04:43 AM.
Old 06-04-16, 06:13 AM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
...and, should it have an issue, you'll be able to exchange it at Garmin for a refurbished unit that will be indistinguishable from new for something like $125 for years to come. FWIW, I'm still using a 705, which does what I need, and I've come to terms with its bugs and idiosyncrasies. Off all the models that have come out since, I find the 525 the most appealing, but I'll likely be sticking with the 705 until it gives up the ghost.