Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Buying and Storing Tires

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Buying and Storing Tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-16, 07:51 AM
Scarbo
Erik the Inveigler

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1310 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Buying and Storing Tires

This is an adjunct to the other thread on favorite clinchers, in which it was mentioned that the Michelin PRO 4 tires are on sale in preparation for the new release of the tire. I'm wondering, how many of us buy quantities of tires on sale and store them for use in the future? I get a lot of life out of my tires and seem to go through them rather slowly and I am concerned about buying them too far in advance of the time that I would actually use them as they would naturally go through a process of deterioration in the meantime. What does everybody think? Thanks.
Old 07-30-16, 07:53 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,246 Times in 624 Posts
I buy them on sale ahead of time.
Store them in A/C area.

Old 07-30-16, 07:58 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Typically, new tires have a wax (like) coating that keeps the tire from aging on the shelf. This is why you should ride a tire a few miles before putting it to "full" use.
Old 07-30-16, 10:49 AM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Unless the tires are at give-away prices I wouldn't bother. If you look around online you'll find most tires on sale somewhere a few tires during the year.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 07-30-16, 11:04 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 929 Times in 614 Posts
It's good to have a few spare tires & tubes on hand (and chains, cables....). Then you're ready when a "consumable" is inevitably consumed.

I wouldn't go crazy buying boxes of them though.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html

Last edited by Homebrew01; 07-30-16 at 11:09 AM.
Old 07-30-16, 11:27 AM
Looigi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
I wind up with spares I bought at a bargain being worthless because the bikes I would use them on are sold, or the new tech is just so much better. Anybody need some 9 speed chains or Shimano 9sp triple chain rings?
Old 07-30-16, 11:40 AM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 913 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
From the moment tires leave the factory, the clock is ticking. shelf life is not a priority of manufacturers, in my opinion. Having spares however, is just good practice in order to avoid down time in your riding and of course having a folding spare, or even two, with tubes in your pouch makes sense if you ride farther than walking distance from home. Just avoid over doing it if you can unless N+1 also applies to consumables.
Old 07-30-16, 03:51 PM
RandomTroll
Banned.

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mr FBinNY wrote that he keeps tires for a year before he uses them.
Old 07-30-16, 04:01 PM
ltxi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kinda like with my cars....I buy bike tires as I need them.
Old 07-30-16, 05:24 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by punkncat
Typically, new tires have a wax (like) coating that keeps the tire from aging on the shelf. This is why you should ride a tire a few miles before putting it to "full" use.
Well, I can now say I learned something new today. I had no clue manufacturers put a wax like coat on the tires. Would explain why I can never get the tires to look like that after washing them.
Old 07-30-16, 05:38 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Mold release. gets them un stuck. ,
Old 07-31-16, 02:42 PM
big chainring 

Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 730 Times in 353 Posts
I stock up and store them in my cave along with my Peter Max paintings and my 23 window VW bus.
Old 07-31-16, 03:01 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3376 Post(s)
Liked 5,528 Times in 2,865 Posts
I keep one spare of each make/model in use on my bikes, just so I can immediately replace a worn-out/ damaged tire. I don't keep more than that because rubber ages, and I don't want to waste money on tires that may deteriorate before they get used.
Old 07-31-16, 03:05 PM
joe4702

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went overboard and ended up with something like 6 sets of tires, which I'm slowly using up.
Mostly Michelin Pro4 Endurance. I keep them in zip lock bags in the closet. No real problem so far, but I do worry the last ones will be pretty old by time I get to them. After these are used up, I think keeping one spare set is prudent, beyond that is probably overkill.
Old 07-31-16, 03:09 PM
Mulberry20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
Unless the new Michelins come down in price I wont use them. If the pro4's are totally out I will buy the Tufo Calibra made in Czech Republic. They are outstanding as well and are about $25.
Old 07-31-16, 03:13 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3376 Post(s)
Liked 5,528 Times in 2,865 Posts
Originally Posted by travbikeman
Well, I can now say I learned something new today. I had no clue manufacturers put a wax like coat on the tires. Would explain why I can never get the tires to look like that after washing them.
When I replaced my motorcycle tires 2 years ago, they came with instructions warning to ride conservatively for about 100 miles until the slick surface wore off.
Old 07-31-16, 03:23 PM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 224 Times in 127 Posts
I have bought 3 or 4 pairs of tires at a time when they were on sale. I will use them on 2 or 3 of my bikes (with the same wheel size..obviously) at the same time, with the other pair as a spare to cover the other bikes.
Old 07-31-16, 04:08 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Scarbo
This is an adjunct to the other thread on favorite clinchers, in which it was mentioned that the Michelin PRO 4 tires are on sale in preparation for the new release of the tire. I'm wondering, how many of us buy quantities of tires on sale and store them for use in the future? I get a lot of life out of my tires and seem to go through them rather slowly and I am concerned about buying them too far in advance of the time that I would actually use them as they would naturally go through a process of deterioration in the meantime. What does everybody think? Thanks.
Be super careful with Pro 4 tires if you let them sit. They develop a waxy coating (even after you've ridden them a while). I even scrub it off with sandpaper if I've let the bike sit for a few weeks.

That wax put me sideways in a fast curve on a mountain descent last year... same curve I've done a thousand times without problem on my GP4kIIs. Scary.
Old 07-31-16, 04:29 PM
Gweedo1

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by f4rrest
Be super careful with Pro 4 tires if you let them sit. They develop a waxy coating (even after you've ridden them a while). I even scrub it off with sandpaper if I've let the bike sit for a few weeks.

That wax put me sideways in a fast curve on a mountain descent last year... same curve I've done a thousand times without problem on my GP4kIIs. Scary.
Do you hang your bike or let it sit on the tires? I doubt it matters for bicycles but keeping the weight off tires during long term storage is recommended for cars and MC's. You never know.

Do you keep the bike stored where there's electrical motors running? Some of them produce ozone which might effect your tires.

And by the way, there is no mould release agents used for motorcycle tires anymore. I'd be surprised if they used it for puny bicycle tires.
Old 07-31-16, 04:44 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Same garage has Continentals and Michelins on bikes or on wheels hanging on the wall or in a drawer. I've never had the waxy crap develop on the Contis.
Old 07-31-16, 04:57 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1807 Post(s)
Liked 1,448 Times in 995 Posts
I'll usually have one extra of each size I normally use (700x28 or 32 and 26x2.0) in case something goes wrong on a bicycle. I don't buy in bulk since (as someone mentioned earlier) I can usually find something decent for sale at my local bike shops.
Old 07-31-16, 07:01 PM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 913 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
Are we having fun yet?
Heck yeah, I actually did some reading Owners of car tires are warned not to use them after six years per the date codes and the DOT. While much heavier than bike tires I'm sure you could some sort of comparison. I do know that bike tires have date codes on them as well. I am actually riding on tires in their third riding season and plan to replace next spring. They showed sidewall cracking in the first season and so far so good. For me, no need for spares. Carry on.
Old 07-31-16, 07:43 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4369 Post(s)
Liked 4,009 Times in 2,676 Posts
Originally Posted by Looigi
I wind up with spares I bought at a bargain being worthless because the bikes I would use them on are sold, or the new tech is just so much better. Anybody need some 9 speed chains or Shimano 9sp triple chain rings?
Could certainly use some extra back up chains and I could probably use the chainrings on down the line.
Old 07-31-16, 08:48 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
This tire aging thing making tires bad after a short period of time is pure hysteria!

I bought a 84 Fuji Club about 5 years ago that only had 5 original miles and everything on the bike was factory original including the tires and tubes. The bike was stored in an attic here in Indiana which means it got really hot in the summer and really cold in the winter. The tires looked perfect with no cracks or discoloring, nothing, I rode that bike with those tires and tubes for about 200 miles and then I changed the tires and tubes not because there was a problem with either but because in 1984 tires did not have good puncture resistance and were heavier than the newer stuff. I have a used spare tire that sometimes I carry it in my seat bag that is 20 years old and it too is in perfect condition. I have bikes with tires on them that have been on the bikes for 10 years without any problems. I have tires that I buy on sale and store them, and they may not get used for 2 to 3 years, and I use them without a second thought and never had a problem. I wouldn't hesitate to take one my older bikes with the 10 year old tires and take it on a 100 mile ride.

When I store the tires I store them in a dark location away from electrical motors but in the garage where the temperature will swing from well below freezing to over 95 degrees on the hottest day.

If I find a great closeout deal on a set of tires I buy them knowing that I may not use them for 2 to 3 years.
Old 08-01-16, 05:38 AM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 224 Times in 127 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
This tire aging thing making tires bad after a short period of time is pure hysteria!

I bought a 84 Fuji Club about 5 years ago that only had 5 original miles and everything on the bike was factory original including the tires and tubes.
I have one bike that is nearly 60 years old, and it supposedly has it's original tires on it. The bike sat for decades (cleaned up like new). I don't know if the tubes are original, or newer (40 years old?), but they hold air better than the ones on my 2 year old bike. The tires look great, and I ride on them. Go figure?!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.