Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

My second build - another Chinabomb

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-17, 07:29 PM
wachuko

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

As Maelochs calls them... another Chinabomb build.

I liked the process so much on the first and now my son wants to join me riding. So the perfect excuse to give him my first build and build myself another bike with a few different things.

Frame arrived today. Got home from work to find this:

For this frame, I wanted some color. Not much but just some contrasting color to break the carbon fiber. Contrast color is a rich red... photos and light is making it look pinkish. It also has the dotted pattern. After unwrapping

Since I am only using one water bottle for now (only been riding for two weeks and just 15-20 miles trips while I get in better shape)... moved the second cage and water bottle to the new frame.

Old 07-03-17, 07:41 PM
wachuko

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Three things were not as expected...

1. No extra rear derailleur hanger was included. I had asked for one. Not a big deal. I have a spare one from the previous order.
2. There was excess resin on the neck and the fork tube was not aligning correctly. Easy fix. I just filed the excess and everything went in as expected. Photos are a bit deceiving... there is dust that gives the impression of damage when in reality, once I cleaned everything after filling those bit in the way, it was all looking and working great. Took all of 5 minutes to do with a half-round file.

3. No bottom bracket adapter included...Bottom bracket is supposed to be BB68 for Shimano Groupset. They forgot to press in those.

Email them, excellent and quick response. They apologized for the inconvenience and recognize it was a mistake on their end... They will send the rear derailleur hanger and the inserts to press in. I asked them to send me a bottom bearing pressing tool as I am not taking this frame to the local shop for that.
Old 07-03-17, 07:59 PM
wachuko

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had these extra parts from the first build. But still need to order a few more spacers and the top pieces that lock everything in place.

Old 07-03-17, 08:42 PM
wachuko

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Place holder for part list (shipping included in most prices listed)

Frame: China (Taiwan) - US$550.00 - Arrived
After buying the handlebar in the line below... I found an integrated aero bar-stem 420 mm x 100 mm... US$136.80 for
2017 2017 Newest T800 Integrated Carbon Handlebar Road Bicycle Handlebar From Aaabike, $100.51 | Dhgate.Com

Handlebar: No logo 3K Carbon Fiber Matte Drop Bar in 420mm - US$36.46 - eBay
Selle Italia SLR Flow Saddle - US$96.59 - Ribble Cycles
Shimano Ultegra 6800 Group Set 11 Spd - Cassette 11-32 - Chainset 172.5 34/50 and Rear Gear Derailleur GS (Medium) - Went with a mechanical setup - ProBikeKit - US$533.27
Pedals - Shimano Ultegra PD-6800 Spd-Sl Pedals Carbon, Pair - US$99.95 (could not find them at the same price as before... all prices seem to have gone up a few $$) - Competitive Cyclist - Arrived
Stem: Most Tiger Ultra Aero 3K Stem in 100mm - US$ 157.37 - eBay
Pinarello Dogma Think 2 Chainstay Protector - US$12.00 - Competitive Cyclist - Arrived
Pinarello Most Headset expander - US54.66 - eBay
Pinarello Most Headset Auero 1K Carbon spacers (3-10mm and 2-5mm) - US$48.95 - Competitive Cyclist
Lizard Skins DSP 2.5 Bar Tape Dual Color Black Red - US$32.05 - eBay - Arrived
Wanted to try different tires on this one... got a set of 23 and a set of 25: Michelin Pro4 ENDURANCE V2 Road Bike Tyre in 23 (with a red accent) and 25 - US$123.96 - ChainReactionCycles
Continental Race 28 700c x 20-25 Bike Tubes (3 Pack) - 80mm Presta Valve (got two packs for a total of 6 tubes) - US$43.34 - Amazon
Most Lighthouse Light (yes, I know, I could find a better light for this price) - US$69.99 - Glory Cycles
Most Red Edge Rear Light - US$39.99 - Glory Cycles
Pinarello Most SILOS Waterproof Bottle Cage Bag - US$34.99 - Glory Cycles

Wheels - Last night (July3rd) when discussing what we were going to do with the frame, vendor offered me a good price on a wheel set...These are the ones that are aluminum and carbon. Brake surface is aluminum. After a bit of going back and forth, price came down to where I just agreed to buy them:

Wheels - China (Taiwan) Same vendor as the frame. Price reflects a discount for the mistake made on the BB on the frame. Aluminum carbon road bike wheels 50mm rim matte carbon 3K with Novatec A271SB/F372SB black hubs- No decals - US$325.00

For the BB30 to Shimano adapter. Went with the angular contact bearing: US$139.00 shipped (with the tools and a free gift). - Arrived
This includes:
Universal Bottom Bracket Press - PRESS-7
Wheels Mfg Double End BB Wrench, 48.5mm/44mm - WRENCH-BB48-44
BB30 Outboard Angular Contact BB for 24mm Cranks (Shimano) - Black - BB30-OUT-3
FREE - Complete Multi-Tool, Red TOOL-G-RED-Z
Found a good deal on a set of Ultegra wheels. Added a 12-25 cassette as recommended by a fellow Floridian forum member: US$383.34 - Competitive Cyclist
Shimano Ultegra WH-6800 Road Wheelset - Clincher
Shima Ultegra 6800 Cassette 12-25

Ohh and before I forget... weight of the frame as you see it in this photo is 4.62lbs - it has the fork, fork bearings, Most spacers, seat post. Not going for any weight goals... just documenting for those that wanted to know.

Last edited by wachuko; 07-10-17 at 02:34 PM.
Old 07-03-17, 09:15 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
As with the other ... i wish i could justify buying one. Though I'd get one that didn't have the measles.
Old 07-03-17, 09:39 PM
wachuko

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
As with the other ... i wish i could justify buying one. Though I'd get one that didn't have the measles.
I am on chat with them... they sent me a frame with the wrong bottom bracket. I ordered BB68 and they sent a frame with BB30 bottom arghhh!!
Old 07-03-17, 09:55 PM
GuitarBob
Kit doesn't match

Bikes: 5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts
If you're willing to live with the BB30-sized hole, you can have them send you an adapter to take a Shimano crank.
Old 07-03-17, 09:59 PM
wachuko

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GuitarBob
If you're willing to live with the BB30-sized hole, you can have them send you an adapter to take a Shimano crank.
I am clueless... What am I giving up? What is the compromise here? Issues down the line? This will mean not being able to use the Shimano Bottom Bracket that comes with the kit, right?

Old 07-03-17, 10:06 PM
GuitarBob
Kit doesn't match

Bikes: 5

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts
First, I'm no expert, so take anything I offer with a grain. But I think you might have two options, one is effectively a shim -- it presses in place and takes a threaded BB like the one you show. Others are effectively shims and BBs in one, so wouldn't use the part. I'm sure someone will be along shortly with more specific info -- but I wanted to let you know that all is not lost.

By the way, you can make your own press for $3 with stuff from the hardware store. I've done exactly that to press BB30 bearings.
Old 07-03-17, 10:16 PM
exmechanic89

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Personally I would want a frame that took the BB I wanted to use, I wouldnt have a lot of confidence in shims or adaptors on an area that takes the stress a BB does. Maybe others will disagree though, and have not had issues with running a standard BB in press-fit designed frame?
Old 07-03-17, 10:36 PM
wachuko

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They are sending this adapter (in 42mmx68mm) to be pressed in...

the tool to press it in with, and Loctite 609...

Last edited by wachuko; 07-03-17 at 10:42 PM.
Old 07-03-17, 10:42 PM
Masque

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, 2011 and 2017

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does that fork say "Pinarello"?
Old 07-03-17, 10:57 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Good God!
Old 07-03-17, 10:59 PM
wachuko

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Masque
Does that fork say "Pinarello"?
Crap. I asked them for no Pinarello branding anywhere.. Did not notice until you called it out.
Old 07-04-17, 12:08 AM
Masque

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, 2011 and 2017

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oops. Still, it's beautiful. What a fun project this will be!
Old 07-04-17, 12:54 AM
ebow3d

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 11 Posts
Personally, I would insist that they send me the correct goods as per order. Let them know that you are posting the progress on this forum and they would most likely just send you a new frame. Most Alibaba/Chinese sellers take good feedback pretty seriously. Just put your foot down.
Old 07-04-17, 05:44 AM
simnorm

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd get bb30 bearings and Wheels Manufacturing BB30-24mm adapter instead of the alum sleeve and shimano bb. Less creaking
Old 07-04-17, 06:06 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
The question that comes to my mind is do the problems you are having suggest something about buying from a Chinese supplier who deals primarily in knock-offs rather unbranded frames? If you have to tell them to leave off the fake Pinarello branding, you are already in trouble. "Chinabomb" is supposed to be a joke, not a prediction.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...

Last edited by rpenmanparker; 07-04-17 at 06:10 AM.
Old 07-04-17, 06:39 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by wachuko
They are sending this adapter (in 42mmx68mm) to be pressed in...

the tool to press it in with, and Loctite 609...

That adapter is for a 73mm width according to the render...do you need a 73mm width or 68mm?
Old 07-04-17, 06:42 AM
wachuko

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
That adapter is for a 73mm width according to the render...do you need a 73mm width or 68mm?
That was just a photo they shared. Adapter is going to be in 68mm.
Old 07-04-17, 06:48 AM
wachuko

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
The question that comes to my mind is do the problems you are having suggest something about buying from a Chinese supplier who deals primarily in knock-offs rather unbranded frames? If you have to tell them to leave off the fake Pinarello branding, you are already in trouble. "Chinabomb" is supposed to be a joke, not a prediction.
This is the second frame I get from them. First frame had no issues. A forum member also ordered one recently, again, no issues. On my recent frame, this was a mistake when the order got built.

My intent with the thread is to share the good, the bad, and the ugly. Anyone considering going this route can make their own decisions.

I decided to keep the frame and install the insert.
Old 07-04-17, 06:54 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by wachuko
That was just a photo they shared. Adapter is going to be in 68mm.
Figured I'd ask to be sure, given the setbacks posted about 👍
Old 07-04-17, 07:10 AM
wachuko

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Figured I'd ask to be sure, given the setbacks posted about 👍
Yes, thank you for looking out. I made sure they wrote it down as we were going through this last night.

Now let me update the part list post with what I will be ordering.
Old 07-04-17, 01:04 PM
Chukbacca

Bikes: 1988 Univega Alpina Pro

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 6 Posts
Hi there,
Thanks for the progress updates, I find the whole process interesting.

Would you share why you chose to go this route? On one hand I can appreciate the cost factors involved with Chinese components; on the other, it's been my experience that often knock-offs look the part but are woeful when it comes to quality and longevity.

I am a simple guy who's never actually owned a new bike, let alone assembled one, I am just looking for perspective.
Old 07-04-17, 01:18 PM
wachuko

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chukbacca
Hi there,
Thanks for the progress updates, I find the whole process interesting.

Would you share why you chose to go this route? On one hand I can appreciate the cost factors involved with Chinese components; on the other, it's been my experience that often knock-offs look the part but are woeful when it comes to quality and longevity.

I am a simple guy who's never actually owned a new bike, let alone assembled one, I am just looking for perspective.
Sure. Wanted to get into cycling. Started looking at bikes. Stopped by the local bike shop and the Pinarello bikes were love at first sight. I was going to buy a Pinarello Gan 105. Started doing research... and going with a Chinese frame, I could get all better components for about the same price as the Pinarello Gan 105... my reasoning at the time was that, worst case scenario, I would loose 500.00 of the frame... and if that was the case, I would just get a real Pinarello frame (Gan frame, because I can't afford the F10) and move my components over.

So far, the first frame has dealt nicely with my weight... only a mere 100 miles on the first frame... but everything feels solid. Only time will tell.

Last edited by wachuko; 07-04-17 at 01:34 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.