Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shimano 105 Left Shifter

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Shimano 105 Left Shifter

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-09, 02:40 PM
Amateur Ireland

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shimano 105 Left Shifter

My left shifter will move the FD from the small Chain Ring to the large Chain Ring with one movement of the shifter. When I move from the large CR back down to the small CR then two movements of the shifter are required. Any ideas how I fix this so one movement fo the shifter works?
Old 11-05-09, 02:43 PM
linux_author
370H-SSV-0773H

Bikes: Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
buy a double left-hand 105 brifter?
Old 11-05-09, 03:56 PM
Al1943

Bikes: Trek 5500, Colnago C-50

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by linux_author
buy a double left-hand 105 brifter?
Does not exist, 105's are all double/triple.

Last edited by Al1943; 11-05-09 at 04:07 PM.
Old 11-05-09, 04:05 PM
JTGraphics

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The shifter has two throw distances a short one and a longer one the short throw will push half way for trim another short push will change sprockets, one long throw will take it directly to the next gear.
If you don't have the trims you need to fine tune the FD to get them.
Old 11-06-09, 03:05 AM
Amateur Ireland

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shimano 105 Left Shifter

So how exactly do I trim the movement for long and short shifts.
The shifter will move the FD in one full movement from large CR to small CR but it kinda grinds and is not smooth. When I double shift it does not grind. It clicks easily twice and just shifts nicely.
Any ideas?
Old 11-07-09, 06:23 PM
jays35

Bikes: 3 - Bianchis

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I just had my left brifter replaced, warranty work, and the mechanic said it was a double shifter replacing the double/triple.
Old 11-07-09, 06:33 PM
Al1943

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jays35
I just had my left brifter replaced, warranty work, and the mechanic said it was a double shifter replacing the double/triple.
In Shimano 10-speed groups Ultegra and Dura-Ace have double specific shifters, the rest are double/triple compatible. Take a look at the Shimano web site.
Old 11-08-09, 04:19 PM
Daytrip
Medicinal Cyclist

Bikes: 2003 Klein Q Carbon Race; 2009 Giant OCR-1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Al1943
Does not exist, 105's are all double/triple.
Not true. I have a 105 Double. Won't do triple, though Triple 105 shifters will do double if you set them up right.
Old 11-08-09, 10:47 PM
Al1943

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Daytrip
Not true. I have a 105 Double. Won't do triple, though Triple 105 shifters will do double if you set them up right.
Well, Shimano doesn't agree with you: https://bike.shimano.com/publish/cont...e-st_road.html
Old 11-08-09, 11:00 PM
iareConfusE
Number One

Bikes: Scott CR1 Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, Shimano doesn't agree with you: https://bike.shimano.com/publish/cont...e-st_road.html
Shimano 105 double shifters will only work for doubles, and their 105 triple will work for both. They probably just got lazy and didn't feel like editing their website. Theres no way the double shifter can work for a triple if it isn't indexed to do so.
Old 11-08-09, 11:02 PM
iareConfusE
Number One

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Amateur Ireland
So how exactly do I trim the movement for long and short shifts.
The shifter will move the FD in one full movement from large CR to small CR but it kinda grinds and is not smooth. When I double shift it does not grind. It clicks easily twice and just shifts nicely.
Any ideas?
Do you mean from small CR to large CR with one movement, although kinda "grindey"? The grinding sound is somewhat normal, as long as it doesn't sound like you're actually grinding anything down. All you're hearing the the chain rubbing against the FD and trying to make its way up to the larger CR, but having a little trouble catching onto the ramps.
Old 11-09-09, 07:01 AM
Amateur Ireland

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shimano 105 Left Shifter

Hi Again,
Nope. The shifter is really fast and smooth when moving from small CR to large...No problem at all. When I am moving from the large CR to the small CR the shifter itself will click easily twice from short trim first and then long movement no problem. When I complete one long movement to go direct to the small CR, the shifter seems to override the trim click and kinda grind past it...to the long movement click. Maybe its fine and I am being totally paranoid. The physical movement is all fine. Its just the shifter sound is not smooth when executing a long shift from large CR to small. Maybe the nature of the 105 Left Shifter.

Do you mean from small CR to large CR with one movement, although kinda "grindey"? The grinding sound is somewhat normal, as long as it doesn't sound like you're actually grinding anything down. All you're hearing the the chain rubbing against the FD and trying to make its way up to the larger CR, but having a little trouble catching onto the ramps.
Old 11-09-09, 10:32 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,364 Times in 945 Posts
Originally Posted by Amateur Ireland
The "harder" shift is from smaller to larger, especially if there is a large tooth difference. It looks like you have a double crank. It's not clear whether you have a double or triple derailer.

Do you have a "half step" (trim) click in the brifter?

It looks like, maybe, you are using two full clicks to get it from the larger to smaller ring. That would imply that the derailer is for a triple. It also looks like the indexing or the cable tension is off on the derailer, making it not align properly over the chain ring. The grinding implies that there is an alignment problem too.

It's possible that a misalignment happens to work for the upshift but not the downshift.

Last edited by njkayaker; 11-09-09 at 10:39 AM.
Old 11-09-09, 10:44 AM
Al1943

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Maybe Shimano has added a new 105 double shifter. They've always been double/triple in the past. Their North American web site and their European web site show that all 105 shifters are double/triple compatible. But now there are three posters claiming 105 double shifters.
????
Old 11-09-09, 11:06 AM
iareConfusE
Number One

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe Shimano has added a new 105 double shifter. They've always been double/triple in the past. Their North American web site and their European web site show that all 105 shifters are double/triple compatible. But now there are three posters claiming 105 double shifters.
????
Yes, Shimano has a 105 shifter that is specific to only double chainring cranksets. It actually says "Double" on the left shifter.