Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

re: My post about the Helmet with retractable lens

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

re: My post about the Helmet with retractable lens

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-12, 04:33 PM
Dux_Helm

Bikes: Cannondale six-13, LarryvsHarry Bullitt (Cargo bike)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So by the way, besides selling these on the forum for wholesale price this month, the guys decided to give one away.

All you have to do is to 'like' our page on FB, post a comment.
A random person from the comments will get a helmet at the end of this month.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/DUX-H...246?ref=stream
Old 11-02-12, 05:27 PM
Lazy Dog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is one of the reason we are working on securing a new supplier.
You might want to approach Gentex Optics out of Connecticut. They are one of the world's largest suppliers of Lexan optical products and specialize in shields like this.

For questions about Transitions Vantage lenses, https://www.transitionsvantage.com/ is a good place to start. They seem to darken in about 1.5 minutes in cooler temperatures (60-70 degrees).
Old 11-02-12, 06:48 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
The issue I am seeing here is, what is keeping the wind, bugs, debris from coming right under the lens and still getting in your eye(s)?

Traditional glasses sit much closer to your face than I can envision these doing. Perhaps this subject has been covered and I just didn't see it? Other applications where such items are used (notably in pilot helms) are in an enclosed cockpit where wind is not an issue.
Old 11-02-12, 07:55 PM
JCNeumann

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Dux_Helm
indeed.
Another added feature is that the lenses do not fog up. We rode with them in conditions of 36deg C (96-97deg F) and high humidity, down to (so far) 5deg C (41F)
No fogging.
Tested in speeds up to 80kmh - lenses remain stable, no vibrations or shaking.
The lenses not fogging up would be very interesting - I use a similar setup on a hockey lid, and the only way I can avoid fogging is careful cleaning every use, and rubbing in a film of dish soap with a paper towel.

I'd be REALLY on board for this, as I just got smacked in the face with a branch while going around a corner. Knocked my sunglasses off and I nearly went a** over teakettle.

Oh, one a poster earlier had mentioned concerned about having his face cut by the bottom end of the shield. This is a really valid question and concern, and a lot of reason hockey players fought half-shield requirements so hard. However, the goal of the shield is to protect your eyes and the very fragile facial bones around the nose and orbital area. If it is good Lexan, it will do that very well - yes you may have a cut on your face from the shield but that is a consequence of being hit VERY hard by a fast moving solid object. I've had three shields broken in games - two from pucks at 80+ mph and one from a stick. In one case I needed three stitches from the bottom of the shield. That's a trade I will make all day long.

Also, regarding the optical clarity of the shields: Oakley has some very good ones, and although they are not cheap I've never had an issue with their optical clarity. Most hockey players use contacts, but some wear glasses - never heard complaints in either case. [FYI, Hockey players complain about their equipment even more than bikers, so I would have definitely heard.... :-)]

Last edited by JCNeumann; 11-02-12 at 08:20 PM.
Old 11-02-12, 08:03 PM
yosarian9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would like to take a moment to apologise for any negativity my post from a few days ago might have caused.
At least one member did not like the way I covertly presented the product without revealing right away I was indeed involved in the project.

So I'm sorry if it made some people uncomfortable, just wanted to take the time to let you know I hammered things out with the forum admin, and would love to continue the dialogue regarding the helmet in a new thread:

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...placeable-lens

there were some very insightful comments and suggestions about the helmet in the previous thread, I would love to build on them.

CHeers
Martin

I assumed you were involved with the project when I saw your username...
Id love to try one but would rather not buy shoes, helmets, ETC without trying them on first.
Old 11-02-12, 08:46 PM
adefeatedman

Bikes: 2012 Giant Defy 1, 2013 Giant Revel 29er 0, Ritchey Road Logic custom build

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I saw the post regarding larger sunglasses, but is there any chance of my black plastic eyeglasses fitting behind the shield? I really do hate not being able to see when I take off my prescription sunglasses when I stop at the coffee shop or the store.
Old 11-02-12, 09:16 PM
Dux_Helm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazy Dog
You might want to approach Gentex Optics out of Connecticut. They are one of the world's largest suppliers of Lexan optical products and specialize in shields like this.

For questions about Transitions Vantage lenses, https://www.transitionsvantage.com/ is a good place to start. They seem to darken in about 1.5 minutes in cooler temperatures (60-70 degrees).
Thanks for that, I will look into Gentex.

We have been talking to Ryders and to a US company called Numa.

Photocromic and polarized options we will look into down the road.
Old 11-02-12, 09:19 PM
Dux_Helm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by punkncat
The issue I am seeing here is, what is keeping the wind, bugs, debris from coming right under the lens and still getting in your eye(s)?

Traditional glasses sit much closer to your face than I can envision these doing. Perhaps this subject has been covered and I just didn't see it? Other applications where such items are used (notably in pilot helms) are in an enclosed cockpit where wind is not an issue.
According to our tests degree is much more likely to shoot into your eyes from the gap on top of your glasses than from the bottom of our lens.
The lens is angled in such a way that makes it hard for anything to get up there..not impossible, but not easy.

Thanks to the spacing away from the face sweat and fogging is a non issue.
Old 11-02-12, 09:30 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3389 Post(s)
Liked 5,565 Times in 2,887 Posts
According to our tests degree is much more likely to shoot into your eyes from the gap on top of your glasses than from the bottom of our lens.
The lens is angled in such a way that makes it hard for anything to get up there..not impossible, but not easy.

Thanks to the spacing away from the face sweat and fogging is a non issue.
I did not realize how much we really ride with the helmet tilted down until I wore a video camera on the helmet. I kept getting lots of footage of the pavement in front of the bike until I pointed it sharply upward.
Old 11-02-12, 09:35 PM
Dux_Helm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JCNeumann
The lenses not fogging up would be very interesting - I use a similar setup on a hockey lid, and the only way I can avoid fogging is careful cleaning every use, and rubbing in a film of dish soap with a paper towel.

I'd be REALLY on board for this, as I just got smacked in the face with a branch while going around a corner. Knocked my sunglasses off and I nearly went a** over teakettle.

Oh, one a poster earlier had mentioned concerned about having his face cut by the bottom end of the shield. This is a really valid question and concern, and a lot of reason hockey players fought half-shield requirements so hard. However, the goal of the shield is to protect your eyes and the very fragile facial bones around the nose and orbital area. If it is good Lexan, it will do that very well - yes you may have a cut on your face from the shield but that is a consequence of being hit VERY hard by a fast moving solid object. I've had three shields broken in games - two from pucks at 80+ mph and one from a stick. In one case I needed three stitches from the bottom of the shield. That's a trade I will make all day long.

Also, regarding the optical clarity of the shields: Oakley has some very good ones, and although they are not cheap I've never had an issue with their optical clarity. Most hockey players use contacts, but some wear glasses - never heard complaints in either case. [FYI, Hockey players complain about their equipment even more than bikers, so I would have definitely heard.... :-)]
Get lens is an ongoing concern and process.
Ultimately what I want is a molded optically correct lenses.
The mold should allow for rounded beading on the bottom.
That will make it less likely to cut.
But also the action on the slider since light enough that (in theory) the lens should retract if it is pushed.

I'm with you though - if he impact to the upper face area is severe enough to cause cuts, there is a good chance without the lens the rider likely would have to ended up with a broken nose, damaged eye or worst.
Old 11-02-12, 09:37 PM
Dux_Helm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by yosarian9
I assumed you were involved with the project when I saw your username...
Id love to try one but would rather not buy shoes, helmets, ETC without trying them on first.
The best thing you can do for me and for yourself is to chat with your LBD. Get them to contact me.
We have a ridiculously low minimum orders. 5 units puts them on the map as an official dealer.
Old 11-02-12, 09:40 PM
Dux_Helm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by adefeatedman
I saw the post regarding larger sunglasses, but is there any chance of my black plastic eyeglasses fitting behind the shield? I really do hate not being able to see when I take off my prescription sunglasses when I stop at the coffee shop or the store.
Well, I ride with big black plastic prescription glasses too, but mine are Ray Ban sunglass frames. So mine work fine.
If he corners of your glasses stick out far, then he lens won't be able to go over them.

If they are fairly close at the temples then you should be good.
Old 11-02-12, 10:54 PM
JCNeumann

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Get lens is an ongoing concern and process.
Ultimately what I want is a molded optically correct lenses.
The mold should allow for rounded beading on the bottom.
That will make it less likely to cut.
But also the action on the slider since light enough that (in theory) the lens should retract if it is pushed.

I'm with you though - if he impact to the upper face area is severe enough to cause cuts, there is a good chance without the lens the rider likely would have to ended up with a broken nose, damaged eye or worst.
IMO - don't go crazy with rolling the bottom edge. Lexan is really hard to deal with that, as it doesn't hold an edge well. If you have to you really need to roll it, something like a clear soft rubber would be better.

However, if it is only a liability concern, understand that you will still get cut with a violent impact. It is a small area being into the skin and it will cut it. When I played prep school hockey (~ Junior B) full cages are required, with padding between the cage and the chin. I got into two helmet to helmet collisions in one tournament, and had twenty stitches in my chin from the PADDING!

Im not sure where you guys are in BC, but if you can, go and look at the helmets and shields from the Major Junior teams. IIRC there's the Kelowna Rockets and the Vanvouver Giants. Talking to their equipment manager and medical trainer could get you much better information that the anecdotal BS I am spouting!

On a product note, have you considered clear shields? I only saw the smoke ones, and I'm not wild about those - I have prescription sunglasses that I'd wear underneath most of the time.

Feel free to IM me. There is a really strong bike community in Connecticut, and a lot of them are hockey players. Your helmet idea would resonate well here - I am putting in a preorder, and would be happy to take a beta version. The wind here really sucks, since we are on the shoreline, and something over my face would be appreciated!!
Old 11-02-12, 11:31 PM
Dux_Helm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JCNeumann
IMO - don't go crazy with rolling the bottom edge. Lexan is really hard to deal with that, as it doesn't hold an edge well. If you have to you really need to roll it, something like a clear soft rubber would be better.

However, if it is only a liability concern, understand that you will still get cut with a violent impact. It is a small area being into the skin and it will cut it. When I played prep school hockey (~ Junior B) full cages are required, with padding between the cage and the chin. I got into two helmet to helmet collisions in one tournament, and had twenty stitches in my chin from the PADDING!

Im not sure where you guys are in BC, but if you can, go and look at the helmets and shields from the Major Junior teams. IIRC there's the Kelowna Rockets and the Vanvouver Giants. Talking to their equipment manager and medical trainer could get you much better information that the anecdotal BS I am spouting!

On a product note, have you considered clear shields? I only saw the smoke ones, and I'm not wild about those - I have prescription sunglasses that I'd wear underneath most of the time.

Feel free to IM me. There is a really strong bike community in Connecticut, and a lot of them are hockey players. Your helmet idea would resonate well here - I am putting in a preorder, and would be happy to take a beta version. The wind here really sucks, since we are on the shoreline, and something over my face would be appreciated!!

Thanks for the good ideas and pointers.
We do have clear and amber lenses available.
Old 11-03-12, 09:48 AM
mpath
Recusant Iconoclast

Bikes: Look 695, Wilier Izoard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
I see what you did there. Here, let me help you....
Old 11-03-12, 12:36 PM
Dux_Helm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mpath
I see what you did there. Here, let me help you....

um....i don't get it..
Old 11-03-12, 03:45 PM
mpath
Recusant Iconoclast

Bikes: Look 695, Wilier Izoard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
Trying to help a fellow Vancouverite....the occasional bump doesn't hurt.
Old 11-03-12, 08:56 PM
Dux_Helm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for that, but just to keep the mods from bringing the hammer down, I think it's better to stick to actual meaningful comments...
Not that I don't appreciate the sentiment, I do. Thank you.
Old 11-04-12, 06:30 AM
dgasmd
shedding fat

Bikes: LOOK 595 Ultra/Campy Record 10Sp, restored Guerciotti/Campy C-Record 6 Sp, TIME RXR/Campy SR 11Sp, and Colnago C-60 with Campagnolo SR 11sp.

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Like the concept and the design. Photochromic lenses and polarized lenses are a must, and in my opinion have far more utility than the yellow, clear, or even the very dark tint. As much as I like the, I have to be honest to say the color are simply hideous at best!!! I know it sounds trivial for something that is simply design for a safety feature, but it is the reality that I ahve to wear that thing in my head for hours. I am a fashionista!!
Old 11-04-12, 08:16 AM
TrainingProgram

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
it cool. i want to try it out.
Old 11-04-12, 10:59 AM
Dux_Helm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dgasmd
Like the concept and the design. Photochromic lenses and polarized lenses are a must, and in my opinion have far more utility than the yellow, clear, or even the very dark tint. As much as I like the, I have to be honest to say the color are simply hideous at best!!! I know it sounds trivial for something that is simply design for a safety feature, but it is the reality that I ahve to wear that thing in my head for hours. I am a fashionista!!

What colour combos would you like to see?
What is wrong with current? Tint design or combination?

Does anybody else think colours are no good?
Old 11-04-12, 11:17 AM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3389 Post(s)
Liked 5,565 Times in 2,887 Posts
I like the Black Carbon, Silver Carbon, and White Carbon.
I'm not so keen of the others; Just too "busy" looking.
Old 11-04-12, 11:41 AM
Lazy Dog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's going to be very costly and challenging adding photochromic treatment to this shield. It would most likely price people out of the product. Polarized would be more doable and practical.
Old 11-04-12, 12:40 PM
cruiserhead

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
The graphics are holding the helmet back. They look mid/low range. Too busy.
The solid/simple colors and more simple graphics look bolder and show off the design, as well as looking of higher quality.

I'm sorry to say the graphics you have currently on the multi-color helmets have more in common with dept store offerings rather than high end helmets.

I think the solid carbon styles look great though.

Just my opinion
Old 11-04-12, 05:57 PM
Dux_Helm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The newest batch of coloured ones is somewhat redesigned.

I will post some photos for a critique once I have them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.