Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

KHS Flite 747 3XL Owner wishing to replace seatpost

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-14, 09:37 AM
dickerns

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I recently purchased a KHS Flite 747 3XL and I have replaced the saddle with Selle Anatomica Truleather X Gunpowder and the pedals with the Shimano Dura-Ace SPD-9000. I recently read a thread that the seatpost will bend under heavy load i.e > 200 lbs and since I'm about 230 lbs, I am hesitant to take it on the road. Last week, I purchased a CycleOps Power Beam Pro and I signed up for TrainerRoad (I'm a Mac guy!!!) so I can work out indoors for now. However, I'd like to take it on the road since the weather is warm enough for cycling, but I want to replace the seatpost. The problem is that folks are recommending Thompson Elite or Masterpiece Straight 29.8/410 which Thompson does not make anymore. What other strong seatposts in the recommended size are out there that I can possibly use?
Old 10-20-14, 09:40 AM
dickerns

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is a message I just received from Thompson:

"29.8 x 410 is not a size we will be making more of. I am sorry about that."
Old 10-20-14, 10:23 AM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 920 Times in 279 Posts
27.2 with a shim will be just fine.
Old 10-20-14, 05:56 PM
hammond9705

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 105 Posts
You aren't that heavy. I would ride it and see if you have a problem. Or the shim would work
Old 10-20-14, 07:44 PM
dickerns

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hammond9705
You aren't that heavy. I would ride it and see if you have a problem. Or the shim would work
I contacted KHS today and they said that they only had to replace the seatpost in 4 out of 500 KHS Flite 747 bikes. They also said my seatpost was under warranty in case of any issues and that I should go ahead and enjoy my bike. Well, I don't want to have an accident first. I believe the folks who reported the issue with the seatpost were about my size. One person reported that the seatpost failed after just 200 miles.
Old 10-21-14, 04:01 PM
dickerns

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow! I was able to find it from an online bike store. I ordered the last two they had.
Old 10-21-14, 04:02 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 920 Times in 279 Posts
Thompson bling is always good to have
Old 10-24-14, 10:13 AM
GreenRiver

Bikes: Gary Fisher Zebrano

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had my new Flite 747 for about a month now. So far, no problems with the alloy seat post provided (I'm 6'6" 220 lbs). I'd be interested to read the threads that you refer to. My bike shop just started carrying the KHS brand. The KHS regional rep happened to be calling on the shop the last time I was there. I told him what my expectations as a KHS owner and customer are - the bike shop owner also weighed in. If I have any "reasonable" issues with the bike, my LBS will go to bat for me. It seems to me that it would take some effort to bend the post that came with the bike under normal operating conditions, but you never know. Btw - I had a Thomson Elite setback post on my last steel frame ride - a really good product, imo.
Old 10-26-14, 10:12 PM
dickerns

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is one of the threads where the defective seatpost is mentioned: https://www.bikeforums.net/clydesdale...-seatpost.html

I was able to get the Thomson Elite 29.8mm/410mm Straight from Cambria Bike. However, the seatpost clamp bolt snapped as I was tightening the clamp and I can't get it out. I need to get a new clamp, but I am having a hard time finding one with a diameter of 32.6mm, the outer diameter of the seatpost tube measured with my digital caliper. I would prefer to get a Pitlock seatpost clamp (Pitlock Seatpost Clamp), but I only saw 31.8mm and 35mm.