Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Wd-40

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-18, 06:54 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspandj
Wd40 is all I use for cleaning and lubing chains. If you use one bike and bike 300 miles or less a week, you just clean and lube when you wash your bike at the end of the week. If you have 4 or 5 bikes that you rotate then maybe once every three or four weeks. If on the other hand you only ride 100 miles or less a week you can use wd40 as a cleaner/lubricant every 3 to 4 weeks.
That monthly low usage duty cycle is exactly what doesn't work for WD40. It evaporates leaving not much behind, so you wind up needing to redo it frequently, even if the bike sat for 3 weeks.

For low usage bikes, a wax based lube works really well. Put some on and forget about it for months. High mileage bikes do better with something like Chain-L.

The best use case I've heard for WD-40, is winter riding where you apply every couple of days and the corrosion protection is more important than the lube aspects.
Old 05-03-18, 08:43 PM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 380 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspandj
If you have removed manufacturers lube with paint thinner , mineral spirits etc, wd40 will NOT be enough. You'll have to resort to one of the methods mentioned here. Other wise wd40 works to both clean and lube when manufacturers lube hasn't been removed. .
Tip, using a rag as a back stop, simply spray chain as you turn cranks slowly making sure to wipe at the same time.
Don't remove manufacturers lube like you would if you were to use a wax on your chain.
Old 05-03-18, 08:58 PM
brianmcg123

Bikes: 2013 Trek Madone; 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 35 Posts
Its fine. Ive used it for years. No issues. It says "lubricant" right on the bottle.
Old 05-03-18, 10:33 PM
AndreyT

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by travelinhobo
Ok, I don't see this on a search. WD40 - good or bad as a chain lube?
WD40 is a brand, not a product. If you want to ask a meaningful question, you have to explain what specific product you are talking about. WD40 does make a dedicated chain lube though. It is as good as any.
Old 05-04-18, 12:24 AM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
wd40 is both a brand and a specific product.
Old 05-04-18, 04:30 AM
mennov

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
WD40 is awesome and should be applied if things are stuck and should be moving. Yes follow the engineering flowchart.
However it is not a real lubricant it is designed to drive away moisture and clean so things move again.
Old 05-04-18, 09:58 AM
SJM205

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD12, CAAD4, Trek 820

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I knew a guy who wore his ski boots so tight for racing that he'd spray WD-40 on his bare feet in order to get them on. He said it would make his breathe taste like onions. I think it turned his brain to mashed potatoes.
Old 05-04-18, 11:37 AM
ign1te

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 34 Posts
WD-40 or Water Displacement-40 can offer lubrication and assist in cleaning of grease etc. As the name implies it displaces water by dissolving water into one of the components it contains. I typically use WD-40 like products for things that tend to rust during storage.
Old 05-09-18, 02:41 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by ign1te
WD-40 or Water Displacement-40 can offer lubrication and assist in cleaning of grease etc. As the name implies it displaces water by dissolving water into one of the components it contains. I typically use WD-40 like products for things that tend to rust during storage.
Are you saying it turns water into hydrogen or oxygen? I'm not a chemist, but that sounds like hokum.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-09-18, 02:47 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Need Electricity to do that, the oxygen generated on the submarine was cracked sea water..

But it was a Nuclear Submarine so that power was abundant. the H2 was pumped back into the ocean..
Old 05-09-18, 03:04 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Are you saying it turns water into hydrogen or oxygen? I'm not a chemist, but that sounds like hokum.
Originally Posted by ign1te
If WD40 contained something to dissolve water, it would work like this. But there is nothing in WD40's MSDS listing anything that is water soluble. The "water displacement" part is that it contains 25% mineral oil that acts as a barrier on a metal surface...that's a static metal surface, however. For a chain where there is movement of the metal surface and stirring of the oil and water due to that movement, the water is going to emulsify the oil and settle out on the metal surface with the water on the bottom of the mixture. This happens with other oil based lubricants as well.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 05-09-18, 03:48 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
Myth: Our secret formula isn't such a secret.

Fact: Sorry folks, the over 60-year-old formulation of WD-40® Multi-Use Product remains a secret today. Any information that you may encounter alleging the disclosure of the “secret sauce” is inaccurate.One thing we must do is correct any misinformation that may be harmful to either our consumers or our good name. Specifically, the listing of incorrect and poorly defined ingredients and safety information.

https://www.wd40.com/cool-stuff/myths-legends-fun-facts

Myth: WD-40® Multi-Use Product is not really a lubricant.

Fact: While the “W-D” in WD-40® stands for Water Displacement, WD-40® Multi-Use Product is a unique, special blend of lubricants. The product’s formulation also contains anti-corrosion agents and ingredients for penetration, water displacement and soil removal.
Old 05-10-18, 05:09 AM
FlMTNdude

Bikes: 1988 Panasonic, 1989 Fuji, Schwinn Beach Cruiser

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6

they (the WD-40 brand) now makes bike products. I used their wet lube this winter. kinda thick & a little smelly for indoor application, especially if you get some on the floor, ugh. it seemed to work OK even through wicked sloppy conditions & modest bike washing
Local bike shop turned me on to their dry lube. Working well so far.
Old 05-10-18, 06:24 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by travelinhobo
Ok, I don't see this on a search. WD40 - good or bad as a chain lube? 20 yrs ago when I first got into biking, I'm sure I read not to use it and never have. I'm a Tri-flow gal. However, recently 1 person told me it's good for cleaning the chain and another said it's good for lubing! Feedback, please.
Why even ask?

If you ask 10 experienced riders to recommend a chain care practice you might get 12 different answers. Part of the problem is that a bicycle chain, given even the most casual amount of care, lasts too long for most of us to make meaningful comparisons. Bottom line, if you're happy with what you've been doing, why change? A chain maintenance program that could reduce both wear and power losses to zero is not going to significantly affect your riding experience. Once you get up to about 15 MPH MOST of your energy goes to overcoming air resistance. If you want to go faster, work on your aerodynamic position on the bike.
Old 05-10-18, 08:09 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Originally Posted by FlMTNdude
Local bike shop turned me on to their dry lube. Working well so far.
thanks. now that it is summer(ish) might look into that
Old 05-10-18, 08:19 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by Oneder
Myth: Our secret formula isn't such a secret.

Fact: Sorry folks, the over 60-year-old formulation of WD-40® Multi-Use Product remains a secret today. Any information that you may encounter alleging the disclosure of the “secret sauce” is inaccurate.One thing we must do is correct any misinformation that may be harmful to either our consumers or our good name. Specifically, the listing of incorrect and poorly defined ingredients and safety information.
While it is true that their formulation is proprietary, a great deal of information can be gleaned from their MSDS. For example, that's where you can find that the mixture is about 25% mineral oil (Petroleum Base Oil <25). You can even get an idea of what the material is from the CAS# listed in the MSDS. That's a number issued for each chemical. Yes, there's a proprietary surfactant in the mix but it's only there is small quantities and I doubt it would have much effect on the properties of the mixture to make it less hydrophobic.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 05-10-18, 08:23 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
thanks. now that it is summer(ish) might look into that
I tried it and it wasn't all that "dry". And the
smell brought back a number of bad memories

Old 05-10-18, 08:46 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
the Hai Karate! smell
Old 05-10-18, 06:30 PM
Mickey2

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I find most of the spray can oils very similar, thin, fast working and dries up quickly. I have used them with out problems, including WD-40. With one good spray and wiping off with a rag most of the grime comes off. The only drawback is I have to do it before or after every ride for it to last. Especially in harsh condtions like salty roads and lots of rain I have had spots of rust appearing with just one day of missing an application. That's the worst of case, and it came off rather quickly. I like Finish Line Ceramic wet lube a lot, probably my favorite in a bottle. I don't mind the basic Weldtite products I find in stores here either. The only way I can keep a reasonably clean chain is to spray and wipe off after every ride. That's the main advantage I have found with a thin spray can oil like WD-40, they make it very easy. Weldtite has a similar product called TF2 Teflon spray, it is a notch smoother, and I usually have a can of it; there's GT-85, CRC 5-56,... Personally I don't mind either of them, just remember to apply frequently.

Last edited by Mickey2; 05-10-18 at 06:39 PM.