Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Grease performance--rolling resistance

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-18, 05:15 PM
El Gato27

Bikes: '88 Peugot 12 spd road bike, Nishiki hybrid, JC Penney 10 spd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I know different grease types are better for different riding conditions, but is there one grease that performs better in regards to rolling resistance?
I've used generic valvoline lubricating grease for years and it seems to work fine for fair weather riding, I don't ride in the rain or snow.
But lately I've been wondering is there are differences in grease performance. Thanks.
Old 05-20-18, 07:46 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Phil Wood
Old 05-20-18, 09:47 PM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
The effect of grease on rolling resistance is not worth even considering.

Last edited by cny-bikeman; 05-21-18 at 05:24 PM.
Old 05-20-18, 09:54 PM
Ghrumpy

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
Phil Wood
Great name-drop non-answer.

Grease is (perhaps a bit over-simplifying) oil mixed in an emulsion with soap. The oil provides lubrication. The soap helps provide stability and shear resistance. The differences in relative "viscosity" are significant, but the differences in "rolling resistance" are probably not.

Straight light oil has the lowest "rolling resistance" but the lack of stability leads to the oil seeping (from gravity) out the lowest point of the assembly. Track racers who might need tenths of seconds in races that last only a few minutes, will often use such oils to lube their hubs and BBs. Not great for bikes who only see overhauls every year or so.

Thick, stable greases (like Phil Wood or Park Tools) are, on the other hand, a good solution for situations where extreme water resistance is necessary. Frankly not really necessary for normal bike use.

So Phil grease will be overkill for applications such as yours, and straight oil will be insufficient. I'd recommend a white or clear synthetic grease because
a) it will show contamination clearly and
b) is a good consistency that is stable under normal bicycle use conditions. Also does not stain paint (like Phil Wood grease can.)

But yeah, @cny-bikeman is right. Rolling resistance is hardly a consideration.
Old 05-21-18, 01:06 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26382 Post(s)
Liked 10,362 Times in 7,196 Posts
...I've used at least 8 or 9 different grease brands on bikes over the years. They all seem to work about the same.
If there is a difference, some are a little thicker and stickier, which helps in putting together loose ball bearing assemblies on older bikes.

But if you're looking for something that is better at reducing rolling resistance, they all work about the same. As already stated above twice.
Old 05-21-18, 05:22 AM
El Gato27

Bikes: '88 Peugot 12 spd road bike, Nishiki hybrid, JC Penney 10 spd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
OK, seems like I'm over thinking this. Thanks.
Old 05-21-18, 05:36 AM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Shimano Dura-Ace is probably what you're looking for.

One of the biggest factors is quantity. Shimano recommends a thin coating while most people say stuff it full.

The rolling resistance isn't zero but it is small, a few W at most.
Old 05-21-18, 06:05 AM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghrumpy
"Rancid Bear Grease"™

Sorry, I feel like posting this in every grease/lube thread that comes along
But the rest of your post is spot on
Old 05-21-18, 06:15 AM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by gsa103
Shimano Dura-Ace is probably what you're looking for. One of the biggest factors is quantity. Shimano recommends a thin coating while most people say stuff it full. The rolling resistance isn't zero but it is small, a few W at most.
This is like deciding whether wind resistance is lower with or without hair gel on one's eyebrows. The biggest mechanical factor by far in rolling resistance is tires, followed by bearing condition and adjustment. I would say they count for over 99% of rolling resistance, which itself is much less a factor than wind resistance, especially at higher speeds. If you want to go faster with less effort then spend your time on the bike, not at the keyboard.
Old 05-21-18, 06:45 AM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
It's not 1938 anymore, any modern grease you can find at the big-box store/auto supply/LBS designed for light applications will exceed the lubrication/water resistance/durability required by the low loads & speed of bicycle bearings w/ no measurable difference in "rolling resistance". Regular overhaul of bearing surfaces with fresh grease and proper adjustment of cup/cone bearings are all that are required. Discard and replace cartridge bearings as required.

Test tire pressure per Frank Berto's method to more effectively search for those incremental gains in "rolling resistance".

-Bandera
Old 05-21-18, 07:02 AM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Here's some interesting test data:
https://cyclingtips.com/2016/05/fric...ring-friction/

BLUF: You might save ~2W switching from a high drag to low drag solution, if you do both hubs and the BB. Most of the the it's 0-1W difference.

If you're seriously racing, it's worth at least consideration, depending on riding conditions. For a fair-weather race bike, there's really not downside to a lightweight grease, given that water and wear are likely not a concern. A cyclo-cross bike probably could use boat trailer grease and is still going to need frequent rebuilds.
Old 05-21-18, 08:09 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Originally Posted by El Gato27
OK, seems like I'm over thinking this. Thanks.
yes

Note; before the Pros had special time trial bikes for that 1 occasion the mechanics cleaned the hubs,
used oil instead of grease for just that day..
then took them apart again and re greased them for the next days stage race..

shown in old films..
Old 05-21-18, 08:48 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
1 or 2 watts is nothing for normal riding, but when I was using some pretty thick heavy duty grease I'm positive that in cold temperatures - for me under 20°F - it was causing additional resistance until it got loosened up.
Old 05-21-18, 11:41 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts

Grease is (perhaps a bit over-simplifying) oil mixed in an emulsion with soap. The oil provides lubrication. The soap helps provide stability and shear resistance. The differences in relative "viscosity" are significant, but the differences in "rolling resistance" are probably not.

Straight light oil has the lowest "rolling resistance" but the lack of stability leads to the oil seeping (from gravity) out the lowest point of the assembly. Track racers who might need tenths of seconds in races that last only a few minutes, will often use such oils to lube their hubs and BBs. Not great for bikes who only see overhauls every year or so.

Thick, stable greases (like Phil Wood or Park Tools) are, on the other hand, a good solution for situations where extreme water resistance is necessary. Frankly not really necessary for normal bike use.

So Phil grease will be overkill for applications such as yours, and straight oil will be insufficient. I'd recommend a white or clear synthetic grease because
a) it will show contamination clearly and
b) is a good consistency that is stable under normal bicycle use conditions. Also does not stain paint (like Phil Wood grease can.)

But yeah, @cny-bikeman is right. Rolling resistance is hardly a consideration.
Ok, grumpy it is. What did I buy at the bike store, Phil wood tenacious oil and Phil wood waterproof grease, they seem to work just fine. Would auto grease would just as well? probably, $ 10.00 for a tube that has lasted 10 years. Water resistance like in my commuter, bikepacking and mt biking needs, yup.
Old 05-21-18, 12:03 PM
Ghrumpy

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Leebo
Ok, grumpy it is. What did I buy at the bike store, Phil wood tenacious oil and Phil wood waterproof grease, they seem to work just fine. Would auto grease would just as well? probably, $ 10.00 for a tube that has lasted 10 years. Water resistance like in my commuter, bikepacking and mt biking needs, yup.
I'm not sure what you're getting at. I actually said Phil Wood grease is for situations exactly like you describe. But it's not needed for the OP's stated purposes.

But I do say literally any automotive bearing grease is overkill for bicycles. If you happen to have some sitting around, you can certainly use it. But I wouldn't tell anyone to buy a tub just for bikes. Not only is it overkill, but you'd probably never use it up in your lifetime.

And don't read too much into my screen name (or anyone's for that matter.) I'm not an unhappy dwarf.
Old 05-21-18, 03:34 PM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), 90's Giant Innova (now with drop bars), Yess World Cup race BMX, Redline Proline Pro24 race BMX Cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
1 or 2 watts is nothing for normal riding, but when I was using some pretty thick heavy duty grease I'm positive that in cold temperatures - for me under 20°F - it was causing additional resistance until it got loosened up.
I use extreme low temp for my winter bike. I think it's $1 more at Canadian Tire.
Old 05-21-18, 03:45 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4790 Post(s)
Liked 3,917 Times in 2,548 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
yes

Note; before the Pros had special time trial bikes for that 1 occasion the mechanics cleaned the hubs,
used oil instead of grease for just that day..
then took them apart again and re greased them for the next days stage race..

shown in old films..
Yup, the ritual was done for decades. (Mechanics were not fans of time trials!)

Ben
Old 05-21-18, 03:58 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Yup, the ritual was done for decades. (Mechanics were not fans of time trials!)

Ben
This is another example of bike superstition.
Old 05-21-18, 04:29 PM
Mickey2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I haven't tried Phils grease, but all (!!!) I can find in stores here are synthetic greases; I'm thinking of small tubs and tubes for the average user, not industrial bucket size. Old type greases could separate, seep out a little bit of oil during use, and it could be an advantage. They tended to be on the solid and gooey side, but very durable and smooth between the finger tips. They are hard to find these days.

Synthetic greases are very stable, never separates even on a hot plate. Some have very good specs when it comes to friction testing I have used Finish Line Ceramic Grease a lot and it works well, most of the larger brands have a version of it; Triflow, Weldtite TF2, etc. These are teflon added greases.

I have cleaned and greased old 3 speed hubs, it works well, but I swear, when oiled they run and shift noticeably smoother. Some greases are down right gooey and sticky. If there's an oil cap or hole for lubrication like on vitage bikes, go for oil.
Old 05-21-18, 05:09 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26382 Post(s)
Liked 10,362 Times in 7,196 Posts
Originally Posted by FBOATSB
"Rancid Bear Grease"™

Sorry, I feel like posting this in every grease/lube thread that comes along
But the rest of your post is spot on
...bacon fat works OK until you ride past some dogs. Then it's often problematic.
Old 05-21-18, 06:36 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
I'm not sure what you're getting at. I actually said Phil Wood grease is for situations exactly like you describe. But it's not needed for the OP's stated purposes.

But I do say literally any automotive bearing grease is overkill for bicycles. If you happen to have some sitting around, you can certainly use it. But I wouldn't tell anyone to buy a tub just for bikes. Not only is it overkill, but you'd probably never use it up in your lifetime.

And don't read too much into my screen name (or anyone's for that matter.) I'm not an unhappy dwarf.
Isn't NLGI 2 the same, whether it's marketed for bikes, motorcycles, cars, or trailers? When I say "the same" I'm referring to viscosity. I ask because most bike specific greases are NLGI 2 and most auto bearing greases are as well.
Old 05-21-18, 06:39 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1740 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
Aside from a brief and failed foray into Teflon enhanced greased in the 90's, I have always used Phil Wood on my Campi, Shimano, Suntour, etc components. This winter, while working on an unrelated project I found Lucas Tacky Red Grease. The stuff is slippery! Will be using it on the next hub overhaul. As for BB's, get a sealed cartridge and be done with it. They work and last far longer than the typical standard BB.
Old 05-21-18, 08:37 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
I use Lubriplate EMB (electric motor bearing) synthetic.
Old 05-22-18, 12:40 PM
Ghrumpy

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by SquidPuppet
Isn't NLGI 2 the same, whether it's marketed for bikes, motorcycles, cars, or trailers? When I say "the same" I'm referring to viscosity. I ask because most bike specific greases are NLGI 2 and most auto bearing greases are as well.
I'm not claiming to be a grease expert (I'd refer you to @Slaninar for that.)

Several of the bicycle greases I have use appear to be more NLGI-1, but I've never noticed any that reference the NLGI number. That refers only to viscosity, and obviously there's more to a grease than its viscosity rating. Bike greases simply don't need the temperature stability that automotive greases do. Let's face it, most bikes really don't need the water-resistance of boat trailer grease either. There are other considerations, as I have said, one important one of which might be color staining, especially of light-colored frames, by dyed greases such as Phil, boat trailer, and probably that Lucas Red 'n' Tacky.

I'm not saying and never said not to use automotive grease. I've only ever said it's overkill for bikes in all but perhaps the most extreme applications.
Old 05-22-18, 01:07 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
I'm not claiming to be a grease expert (I'd refer you to @Slaninar for that.)

Several of the bicycle greases I have use appear to be more NLGI-1, but I've never noticed any that reference the NLGI number. That refers only to viscosity, and obviously there's more to a grease than its viscosity rating. Bike greases simply don't need the temperature stability that automotive greases do. Let's face it, most bikes really don't need the water-resistance of boat trailer grease either. There are other considerations, as I have said, one important one of which might be color staining, especially of light-colored frames, by dyed greases such as Phil, boat trailer, and probably that Lucas Red 'n' Tacky.

I'm not saying and never said not to use automotive grease. I've only ever said it's overkill for bikes in all but perhaps the most extreme applications.
I'm no expert either, that's for sure. I was just curious about your hesitancy to recommend using auto grease on bikes. I agree that it's overkill, meaning "better" than what bike duties require. So I look at it as a good deal, since many auto greases can be had for a fraction of the price of bike specific greases.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.