Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

New steel frame. Small dings and defect

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

New steel frame. Small dings and defect

Old 12-12-19, 03:30 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1726 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 705 Posts
OK, you are correct. Send the frame back. Hopefully they have a perfect frame for you. Remember, this is a low cost frame to begin with and it is mass produced by humans. If you think there is another one out there for the same price and is perfect, take the chance. I suppose I am just too practical to let paint blems that are hardly noticeable bother me on something like this. If this were an expensive frame, custom built, then that is a different scenario.
Old 12-12-19, 03:47 PM
tgenec86
Rouleur

Bikes: Felt FC (SRAM Red), Nashbar Carbon (SRAM Red), Felt BR2 (SRAM Red), Salsa El Mariachi 29'er - solid steel, Peugeot PX-10 1972

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 63 Posts
Just took the time to browse the Soma website. Well isn't that special...

Seriously?!? It's a $520 frame brand new and you got it at half price... I retract my former statement. NO, you should not expect perfection, those "blemishes" are totally insignificant, have zero bearing on the frame, and are not even within reason to justify returning it. Soma probably will, but they're a good company and want to keep their customers happy. Soma Fabrications: For the everyday cyclist. Everyday cyclists don't freak over exceedingly minor details.

If we were discussing a new racing quality frame you might have a point, but wanting to return a bike or demand a credit for blemishes that need close up photos to even see?

Last edited by tgenec86; 12-12-19 at 03:50 PM.
Likes For tgenec86:
Old 12-12-19, 03:52 PM
tgenec86
Rouleur

Bikes: Felt FC (SRAM Red), Nashbar Carbon (SRAM Red), Felt BR2 (SRAM Red), Salsa El Mariachi 29'er - solid steel, Peugeot PX-10 1972

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
The half price isnt because its a cast-off frame, its because its last year's frame. There absolutely should be an expectation that the frame is equal to every frame that was sold at full price. Just because its now half the cost doesnt mean standards should suddenly be lowered.

Its half the price only because the company decided to discount the frame to push out inventory. This exact frame was full priced at one time. Its not like quality should be worse now that the frame is priced to move. It sat on the shelf as a full priced frame and sat there as a half priced frame. The quality standards shouldnt be different. As for it being a handbuilt steel frame- that doesnt excuse the dent and bulge. That stuff is avoidable in ALL types of frame- steel, aluminum, titatnium, and carbon.
Dude. It's a $500 dollar frame. We're not talking De Rosa or Colnago here. We're talking Soma - solid, nice, BASIC bikes.
Likes For tgenec86:
Old 12-12-19, 04:16 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
Originally Posted by tgenec86
Dude. It's a $500 dollar frame. We're not talking De Rosa or Colnago here. We're talking Soma - solid, nice, BASIC bikes.
A $500 frame builds I to a $1500 bike without being extreme.
Put another way, I would be shocked if road bikes that cost $2000 and less had frames that cost $500(most at thos pricepoint are aluminum with a mixed steerer carbon fork or full carbon fork).

Anyone buying a $2000 bike, a $1500 bike, or even a $1000 expects the paint to not have issues and for there to not be bulges or dents in the tubing at the time of purchase.
I would say that is a reasonable expectation.
Old 12-12-19, 04:32 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1726 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 705 Posts
"Anyone buying a $2000 bike, a $1500 bike, or even a $1000 expects the paint to not have issues and for there to not be bulges or dents in the tubing at the time of purchase.
I would say that is a reasonable expectation."

On an aluminum frame, do not look at the welds. From a technical point of view, they are garbage and usually look to be defects. On a carbon frame, don't feel along the joints as you will likely find waves. Not reasonable. To what extent do we go? I can find flaws in the paint of almost any frame fresh out of the box. What is reasonable, and what is simply silly?
Old 12-12-19, 04:38 PM
Slowridr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
A $500 frame builds I to a $1500 bike without being extreme.
Put another way, I would be shocked if road bikes that cost $2000 and less had frames that cost $500(most at thos pricepoint are aluminum with a mixed steerer carbon fork or full carbon fork).

Anyone buying a $2000 bike, a $1500 bike, or even a $1000 expects the paint to not have issues and for there to not be bulges or dents in the tubing at the time of purchase.
I would say that is a reasonable expectation.
Thank you.

I was expecting the total bike to come in around 2k total. I also don't believe I should be okay with imperfections because the bike will get dinged and scratches afterwards. I have a 2013 caad 10 and not one small ding/dent like the first pic. I've ridden it thousands of km. I do have stone chips on the fork, that's about it.

Also been mentioned a few times that these are paint defects. They are not. One is a small dent. Yes it's small but you can't fix that with paint. There's a definite indent when you run your fingers along it.

Also the third pic is hard to see but that's a bulge. I don't even know how that happens. Bulges on frames are new to me.

Anyway I made this post to get feedback as a lot of this is new to me. I just wanted to get some feedback. Thanks to everyone for there opinion.
Likes For Slowridr:
Old 12-12-19, 05:21 PM
Chr0m0ly 

Bikes: '84 Miyata 610 ‘91 Cannondale ST600,'83 Trek 720 ‘84 Trek 520, 620, ‘91 Miyata 1000LT, '79 Trek 514, '78 Trek 706, '73 Raleigh Int. frame.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 218 Posts
If I sold bikes I know I’d want my customers to be thrilled with their purchase, and if they weren’t I would want a chance to make it right.

A paint flaw wouldn’t bother me, I can sand and touch up paint, but I would be bothered by the dent. Perfectly safe and serviceable, but I prefer to put my own dents in, thank you. :-)

The purchaser shouldn’t be responsible for QC, that’s the manufactures job.
Old 12-13-19, 11:16 AM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 101 Posts
There is nothing formally wrong with requesting a return. From the practical viewpoint I would probably just build the bike and ride it, especially with the discount you got.

Peter White has a section of cosmetics on his ordering page: https://www.peterwhitecycles.com/ordering.php
Likes For csport:
Old 12-13-19, 11:35 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by csport
Peter White has a section of cosmetics on his ordering page: https://www.peterwhitecycles.com/ordering.php
Ha, that was an entertaining read...his whole policy in general. Sounds like a man who has dealt with a lot of dumb stuff in his career.
Likes For jadocs:
Old 12-13-19, 12:09 PM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
no offense but I think your camera skills need a little practice
Old 12-13-19, 01:51 PM
tgenec86
Rouleur

Originally Posted by csport
There is nothing formally wrong with requesting a return. From the practical viewpoint I would probably just build the bike and ride it, especially with the discount you got.

I'll post the GOOD PART! Cosmetics

We sell bicycles, bicycles parts and accessories to be used by people riding their bicycles on roads and trails in the real world. The real world can be a messy place. And most people who have ridden a bicycle for any meaningful distance quickly notice that the bike gets dirty, paint can be scratched, and metal parts can oxidize. Some people buy bicycles and bicycle parts not to ride with, but to look at. They want the finish on their frame to be 100% free of imperfections. They want their aluminum rims to shine like mirrors, and they can't stand the thought of any discoloration on an anodized handlebar. If you want to buy something we sell to display on your living room wall, please let us know. We charge $60 per hour to inspect products in our inventory to find the item with the absolute best finish work. Then, before we assemble the product (build up the bike, build the wheel, whatever) we'll send you the item at your expense via insured carrier for your inspection. You can then return the item to us for final assembly.

If you are instead just going to ride your bike, please trust us to ship only products that look like new, in the real world. In other words, small imperfections in the polished finish of a frame, crankset, chainring, hub or rim, brake lever, handlebar, uneven stitching of a pannier, etc., things that have no affect whatsoever on the performance of a component but are only noticeable upon close inspection, do not constitute cosmetic defects warranting replacement at our expense. The key issue here is trust. Please trust our judgement that what we have shipped to you passes our standards of cosmetic quality.

There is no such thing as a perfect anything. If you look closely enough, you can always find a defect. The issue is what level of defect is acceptable. Since there is expense involved in shipping products back and forth, there has to be some method of determining what level of cosmetic defect is acceptable and what isn't. Since if you aren't buying here in the shop you're buying sight unseen, you need to trust that what we ship is acceptable. In other words, you need to be willing to accept OUR standards of what's acceptable and what isn't. Otherwise we end up shipping stuff back and forth, at great expense, all to get you the perfect handlebar stem. At some point it gets a bit ridiculous. And in the case of built up bikes and custom wheels, the expense is even greater than just the shipping cost, since rebuilding takes shop time.

So, if we send you a part that doesn't look right to you, we'll take it back for exchange at your expense. If it's a part of an assembled product, such as a bicycle or hand built wheel, there is no return, period.
Likes For tgenec86:
Old 12-13-19, 05:47 PM
Slowridr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
No reply from manufacturer. Been 2 days already. I guess they think I should keep the frame 😂
Old 12-13-19, 07:15 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 340 Times in 250 Posts
First, IMHO the dings represent zero chance of any operational differences.

Next, I doubt that Soma even noticed those things, and the fact that its a couple years old and has been bangin around the warehouse would have had me thinking "I'll probably be getting a bike that has a ding or two". So here's an exercise in mind control. Pretend you've ridden the bike a week on rough courses with gravel. Then think "Huh! I got a couple of minor dings". I think if you think of it this way, you may realize that you got a good bike for half price that has dings so minor that no one else will even notice them.

I'd just ride it and enjoy it. If you can't, then ask about a return. But make a decision one way or t'other quickly. Act, and put the issue behind you.

I hope you end up pleased with whatever path you choose. Good luck.
Likes For WizardOfBoz:
Old 12-13-19, 09:07 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Are frames stored loose, like just hanging? Or are they stored in the box? If the first, the frame could have been dinged in the years of storage.

I'd just ask for a credit. Chances are a replacement frame at that price will have similar dings.

With a steel frame you need to touch up paint occasionally to prevent corrosion.
Old 12-13-19, 10:45 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
Next, I doubt that Soma even noticed those things, and the fact that its a couple years old and has been bangin around the warehouse would have had me thinking "I'll probably be getting a bike that has a ding or two".
are you suggesting Soma imports their frames which are delivered in boxes, then pulls the frames out for storage in their warehouse, then boxes em up to ship around the world?

Not sure what scenario besides the above would allow for frames banging around in the warehouse.

That process would be needlessly expensive and wasteful.
Old 12-14-19, 12:35 AM
Camilo

Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 1,197 Times in 758 Posts
I'd call that stuff "shop wear" which probably should have been disclosed in the sale, but wasn't. If it had, would you have still bought the frame at the price you paid? That to me is the real question.

Personally, I wouldn't bother trying to get a refund, but I'm not too fussy, especially since I've only bought one new frame out of the dozen or so bikes I've owned.

I subject my frames to the "5 or even 10 foot rule". If it isn't visible at that distance, it doesn't matter... unless it's on the top of the top tube where I would have to constantly look at it. If I actually would have to look for the defect, It probably wouldn't bother me at all. I'm not saying the defects are meaningless, just think about the value you got even with the defects and whether they would bother you enough for the hassle.

I think at most I'd ask for some credit - say $50 or so - in their store for an accessory or component you might need. Would that make you happy? But I wouldn't ask for a refund unless I thought I could get an equivalent frame for the same price.
Old 12-14-19, 01:19 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
No idea what the history of that frame is.

The frame could have been a customer or shop return (for cause), and someone looked at it, thought it was "good enough", and put it back out.

Or, perhaps a return (or dead stock, or display return) that came back, got stuffed in a corner for a couple of years, then someone looked at it and sent it out.

Part of the answer might be what kind of box it came in. Even if well cared for, a 2 or 3 year old box won't look pristine. So, if the box looked new, it probably had been reboxed. There might be even marks or labels on the box indicating history... Security tape being opened and repackaged?

I do think the ad should have had a disclaimer. And, if it is a one of a kind, then it should come with photos of that bike. If it is one of several, then perhaps a general disclaimer indicating the condition of the parts.
Old 12-14-19, 05:40 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,316 Times in 2,701 Posts
OP originally asked about safety and it appears that has been addressed. The conversation/speculation about how the frame got chipped is interesting. Seems all that's left is for OP to decide if the frame is worth the $200+/- to him. What will it be...?
Old 12-14-19, 08:58 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo

I subject my frames to the "5 or even 10 foot rule". If it isn't visible at that distance, it doesn't matter...
At that distance it passes the internet photo test for showing off a new ride.
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 12-14-19, 10:33 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 1,251 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by Slowridr
No reply from manufacturer. Been 2 days already. I guess they think I should keep the frame 😂
I think you should have.
Old 12-14-19, 11:11 AM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
The furthest I'd go would be to ask the manufacturer to pay for having the frame checked for alignment and (unlikely) straightened if need be. Get a commitment in writing, find a local shop to do the work, and send the receipt for reimbursement. If they refuse to pay for that, you'd likely be better off to just foot that expense yourself, then keep it.
Old 12-14-19, 11:57 AM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Originally Posted by rollagain
The furthest I'd go would be to ask the manufacturer to pay for having the frame checked for alignment and (unlikely) straightened if need be. Get a commitment in writing, find a local shop to do the work, and send the receipt for reimbursement. If they refuse to pay for that, you'd likely be better off to just foot that expense yourself, then keep it.
The frame has micro-dents, not a crash damage. There is no indication it was damaged to the point of bending or that the manufacturing process itself was faulty and spat out bent frames.
and if the frame would be bent, which is very unlikely, in that case it would warrant a replacement. There is no straightening that would bring a new frame back to "new" condition. What you propose would cost the manufacturer more than just sending a new frame.
Likes For HerrKaLeun:
Old 12-14-19, 12:10 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Those are aero dimples. Zipp uses them on some of their wheels.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 12-14-19, 03:06 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 1,251 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Those are aero dimples. Zipp uses them on some of their wheels.
Old 12-16-19, 12:22 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
I had a co-worker who was a surfer. The first thing he did with a new board was whack it against the corner of the house to get its first ding over with. Then he could ride it without worrying about marring its perfection. That first step has been done for you, and at a discount.
Likes For dsbrantjr:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.