Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Long Sleeves for Tan Lines?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Long Sleeves for Tan Lines?

Old 02-14-20, 10:28 AM
Tony P.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 162 Posts
Originally Posted by OBoile
You should really go back and read the article I posted above. Sunlight affects far more than just vitamin D.
Really, why on earth should I reread the entire lengthy article just to find the nugget or two that may be relevant? If it were that important perhaps you could tell us all what it is instead of just adding a link. Beyond that, though, I'm already aware of other health benefits of sunlight.

BTW, the article mentions the low mortality rate of skin cancer and that's correct. But it's foolish to look at a disease only in terms of whether you'll survive. That comment in the article alone makes the balance of it questionable.
Old 02-14-20, 10:29 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8259 Post(s)
Liked 8,985 Times in 4,452 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony P.
Big John, I know what you mean. I just went over your other posts so I now understand that low vitamin D may be your only issue. If that's the case and you're otherwise healthy, low vitamin D may not be cause for concern. You're certainly right about doctors; there's good and bad - like everyone else.
I had a doctor who seemed to care. He would always listen and made me feel like he was concerned. He had an issue with the HMO and quit. I don't know where he went.

Yeah I don't think the low D was affecting the heart issue I was dealing with and the problem seems to have resolved itself. Actually the woman doctor I have seen recently has been pretty good. I really don't like it when they say things like "for your age you look pretty good". Or 2 years ago one said "well you are 64", as if I shouldn't expect to feel good anymore.
Old 02-14-20, 10:45 AM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Or 2 years ago one said "well you are 64", as if I shouldn't expect to feel good anymore.
Old 02-14-20, 11:07 AM
big john

I actually went through that. I injured my ankle showing off on my motorcycle, it would pop and wake me up at night. X-rays were done, exams performed and steroids were prescribed. The steroids did nothing for the ankle but my thumb (an old work injury) felt better than it had in years. Bottom line, they said live with it.
Likes For big john:
Old 02-14-20, 01:07 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,012 Times in 518 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
I normally start at 8 or 9am, so it's still in the 40s at the start.
I started out at 7:30 this morning, it was around -12*F ... no worries about tan lines on this ride. Also no worries about busy bike trails
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 02-14-20, 10:31 PM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
Really, why on earth should I reread the entire lengthy article just to find the nugget or two that may be relevant? If it were that important perhaps you could tell us all what it is instead of just adding a link. Beyond that, though, I'm already aware of other health benefits of sunlight.
If you're too lazy to read something, that's not my problem.
BTW, the article mentions the low mortality rate of skin cancer and that's correct. But it's foolish to look at a disease only in terms of whether you'll survive. That comment in the article alone makes the balance of it questionable.
That's a straw man argument. No one implied that death rate is the only thing to look at. Furthermore, the treatment for basal-cell carcinomas or squamous-cell carcinomas is generally not something that would be considered life altering. Certainly it's not like treating prostate, breast, colorectal, and pancreatic cancers, all of which occur at higher rates in people that avoid the sun.
Old 02-14-20, 11:26 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
That's a straw man argument. No one implied that death rate is the only thing to look at. Furthermore, the treatment for basal-cell carcinomas or squamous-cell carcinomas is generally not something that would be considered life altering. Certainly it's not like treating prostate, breast, colorectal, and pancreatic cancers, all of which occur at higher rates in people that avoid the sun.
Actually, just to briefly clarify, management of basal and squamous cell carcinomas can be very, very disfiguring, surgically, and require huge reconstructive procedures in order to put folks back together properly.
Old 02-15-20, 04:31 AM
Tony P.

But nudists are more likely to get poison ivy.
Old 02-15-20, 07:57 AM
OBoile

Originally Posted by bpcyclist
Actually, just to briefly clarify, management of basal and squamous cell carcinomas can be very, very disfiguring, surgically, and require huge reconstructive procedures in order to put folks back together properly.
That's still not exactly life altering. I'd take a scar over being incontinent and not being able to get it up ever again for instance.
Old 02-15-20, 11:32 AM
Tony P.

That's still not exactly life altering. I'd take a scar over being incontinent and not being able to get it up ever again for instance.
Some believe sun exposure should be totally avoided. And there's apparently others who assume the health benefits of sunlight are worth the risks created by overexposure. But there's a middle ground here in which sunlight's benefits can be achieved without substantial risk. Here's a quote from a link provided by OBoile:
Ultraviolet radiation from the sun has both beneficial and harmful effects on human health.... A balance is required between excessive sun exposure which increases the risk of skin cancer and enough sun exposure to maintain adequate vitamin D levels.
In short, using sunscreen when needed to avoid overexposure should help minimize the dangers of skin cancer while still reducing the need for a diaper.
Old 02-15-20, 03:01 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
I've personally had to remove entire noses, half a mouth, entire eyes, mandibles and other bones, tongues, and parts of frontal lobe of brain (aggresive nonmelanoma skin cancers around the eyes like to track along nerves back into the brain, sadly) chasing those tumors around. I guess it just depends on one's perspective how significant that may be.
Likes For bpcyclist:
Old 02-15-20, 07:39 PM
big john

I've personally had to remove entire noses, half a mouth, entire eyes, mandibles and other bones, tongues, and parts of frontal lobe of brain (aggresive nonmelanoma skin cancers around the eyes like to track along nerves back into the brain, sadly) chasing those tumors around. I guess it just depends on one's perspective how significant that may be.
It may be worth noting that melanoma can metastasize into deadly cancers elsewhere in the body.

Not to mention that significant sun damage can leave you looking like a barbecue potato chip.
Likes For big john:
Old 02-15-20, 08:58 PM
OBoile

Some believe sun exposure should be totally avoided. And there's apparently others who assume the health benefits of sunlight are worth the risks created by overexposure. But there's a middle ground here in which sunlight's benefits can be achieved without substantial risk. Here's a quote from a link provided by OBoile:

In short, using sunscreen when needed to avoid overexposure should help minimize the dangers of skin cancer while still reducing the need for a diaper.
And you'll note in that very same post I said I wear sunscreen when going outside for an extended period of time.
Old 02-15-20, 09:03 PM
OBoile

Fair enough, but I'd still take nonmelanoma skin cancers over just about any other type of cancer. Sunlight exposure is associated with a reduction in risk of several other, far more serious, types of cancer... plus being linked to a host of other health benefits.
Old 02-16-20, 04:34 AM
Tony P.

Fair enough, but I'd still take nonmelanoma skin cancers over just about any other type of cancer. Sunlight exposure is associated with a reduction in risk of several other, far more serious, types of cancer... plus being linked to a host of other health benefits.
You obviously still don't get it. But for others, there is no trade-off. Wearing sunscreen or other UVA protection when outdoors for more than around 30 minutes will reduce the risk of skin cancer while still providing the health benefits. And arguing that one disease is better than another when you can try to avoid both is silly.

Last edited by Tony P.; 02-16-20 at 04:57 AM.
Old 02-16-20, 07:06 AM
OBoile

You obviously still don't get it. But for others, there is no trade-off. Wearing sunscreen or other UVA protection when outdoors for more than around 30 minutes will reduce the risk of skin cancer while still providing the health benefits. And arguing that one disease is better than another when you can try to avoid both is silly.
And once again, I said I wear sunscreen when going out for an extended time.
30 minutes is certainly more reasonable than:
For most people that's only 10-15 minutes a day on a small portion of skin like one arm.
I'm glad to see you've learned something. Enjoy your improved mental health and decreased risk of dying.
Old 02-17-20, 12:56 PM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 579 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by Metallifan33
So these tan lines are getting ridiculous. On my already dark skin, I now look like I have sleeve tattoos (and this is from only riding 3 times a week, 1.5 hrs a ride)... and let me tell you, I'm not the kind of guy that can pull off sleeve tattoos.
Do any of you wear long sleeve jerseys to protect yourself from the sun/prevent tan lines?
The thing is, it's always hot/sunny where I live and I'm gonna keep wearing bib shorts.
I hear shorts and long sleeves are a fashion fau pa... but then again, I ride alone and don't care what I look like (tan lines aside obviously
Sunscreen...?
Old 02-17-20, 01:19 PM
Metallifan33

Bikes: Trek Domane SL 5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
Sunscreen...?
I ended up ordering some sleeves as sunscreen doesn’t prevent tan lines. I also ordered a long sleeve jersey.
Likes For Metallifan33:
Old 02-17-20, 01:35 PM
dkatz1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts
Sorry, I don't see why this is a problem. I get them, don't care...
Old 02-17-20, 01:35 PM
acidlung

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've been using very lightweight Louis Garneau "arm warmers" daily. They only help a bit for warmth, but they breathe so incredibly well that I've found them wearable on a daily basis. They prevent the odd itchiness that I now get on my arms when they are exposed to the sun (even with sunscreen). Now if I could just find the same thing for the back of my neck without sweating like a pig ...
Old 02-17-20, 02:11 PM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 579 Times in 437 Posts
I ended up ordering some sleeves as sunscreen doesn’t prevent tan lines. I also ordered a long sleeve jersey.
I feel you. Some things can't be prevented. Tan lines are part of them! As long as I don't have a farmer tan, I don't mind.

Lets hope these sleeve won't make you sweat like a pig. I hate wearing them when it's hot outside.
Old 02-17-20, 02:53 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
It's pretty obvious @OBoile isn't the one who doesn't get it. You appear to think he's urging everybody to go get burned until they develop cancer. He's suggesting people shouldn't and the sun completely.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 02-17-20, 03:33 PM
TheLizard

Bikes: 2001 Trek 8000

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 18 Posts
So these tan lines are getting ridiculous. On my already dark skin, I now look like I have sleeve tattoos (and this is from only riding 3 times a week, 1.5 hrs a ride)... and let me tell you, I'm not the kind of guy that can pull off sleeve tattoos.
Do any of you wear long sleeve jerseys to protect yourself from the sun/prevent tan lines?
The thing is, it's always hot/sunny where I live and I'm gonna keep wearing bib shorts.
I hear shorts and long sleeves are a fashion fau pa... but then again, I ride alone and don't care what I look like (tan lines aside obviously
Stop wearing a shirt.

Problem solved!
Old 02-17-20, 05:43 PM
big john

Originally Posted by dkatz1
Sorry, I don't see why this is a problem. I get them, don't care...
It's not the tan lines that are a problem by themselves, it's the long-term effects of sun damage that are a concern.
Old 02-17-20, 07:02 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
I feel you. Some things can't be prevented. Tan lines are part of them! As long as I don't have a farmer tan, I don't mind.

Lets hope these sleeve won't make you sweat like a pig. I hate wearing them when it's hot outside.
Fun fact: pigs don't sweat.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.