Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Microshift Drive Train Review

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-20, 06:32 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1741 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts

Installed Microshift road drive train on two bikes, One with 3x10 speed the other 2x8 speed. Set up was just like setting up Shimano road stuff. No hassle, no big deal. The shifters work very well, and I prefer them to Shimano as they incorporate the positive click of Campy and the whole stinking lever does not move when shifting as it does with Shimano. Very, very nice stuff and I will be recommending it to more customers as time goes on. Cable replacement is a no-brainer and does not require peeling back the lever hood or anything because it is right there when one squeezes the lever.

Overall a good experience setting up and I really do like the lever feel over Shimano, and how it provides two independent shift levers and an independent brake lever much like Campy. In fact the levers remind me of Campy, but without the cost.

Only time will tell if the stuff is Sora quality or has the robustness of 105-Ultegra.
Old 03-22-20, 06:49 PM
kcblair
Old Legs

Bikes: '80 Strayvaigin, '84 Ciocc Aelle-Shimano 105, '90 Concorde Astore /Campy Triple ,85 Bridgestone 500/Suntour, 2005 Jamis Quest, 2017 Raleigh Merit 1, Raleigh Carbon Clubman

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Nice. I have a 2X7 and a 2X9 microshift shifters in operation for the last 2 years. Haven't had any issues with either . KB
Old 03-22-20, 07:49 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 858 Times in 487 Posts
I have their 10 speed mountain pull barend shifter. Something that doesn't exist anywhere in any form. It's been perfect for 2 years. If I have a bike to survive the apocalypse, it's that one.
Old 03-22-20, 07:53 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
I have used their r7 and r9 STI style shifters as well as 11sp bar end shifters mounted on hoods(gevenalle).

I considered their 11sp shifters for a new build I'm slowly doing, but dismissed them after a lot of effort(I wanted to try something different) because their 11sp shifters are designed differently than the 7-10(old) speed shifters. The shifters with shift cables routed under the tape use a thumb button like Campy.
nope- that's dumb to have 75% of your product line designed one way and 25% designed another.

They need to either utilize the 2 paddle shifting for all products or th thumb shifting for all products.
While they are at it, it's time to route cables under tape on 7-10 speed shifters. Its 2020, come on now.

Also, I bought 105 5800 shifters new on ebay for $40 less than I could find any Microshift 11sp shifters. It didnt matter where I looked- no Microshift 11sp shifters were close in price to the 105s.
That's absurd. They need to be competitively priced otherwise what's the appeal?

I really liked the 2x9 shifters from them. The distinct shift feeling was nice and the hood shape worked well. The dedicated 2 paddles for shifting is easy to adapt to as well(though I've never understood the issue some have with Shimano's shift paddle design).
Old 03-23-20, 05:18 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 796 Times in 473 Posts
I've been running their 2x10 Arsis group on one of my bikes for at least three years with no problems. I eventually changed out the rear derailleur for a 9 speed Deore, so I could use an 11/34 cassette. I also prefer the positive click sound of the shifters over Shimano "light action" shifters and the fact that the whole lever doesn't move.
Old 03-23-20, 06:45 AM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 106 Posts
I'm also using a 2x10 older Arsis groupset on one bike, and a 2x7 on another. I do not have any complaints about them other than the loud noise they make when shifting up. They have been more reliable than my lower end Shimano groupsets, like my Claris and Sora. I cannot comment on the MS when compared to 105 or ultegra simply because I don't Shimano's higher end stuff on my bikes. Can't afford them. Hence, why I went with Microshift in the first place.
Old 03-23-20, 07:37 AM
FlMTNdude

Bikes: 1988 Panasonic, 1989 Fuji, Schwinn Beach Cruiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 45 Posts
I have been using an R7 for a couple years now, zero issues. The concept of two paddles vs Shimano's using the entire brake lever makes sense to me. I do agree, time to route 7-10 speed shifter cables under the tape.
Old 03-23-20, 07:53 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
I am using a Microshift FD and shifter on my wife's cruiser. It works flawlessly. I am using a Microshift RD and shifter on my 1x11 MTB. It has been finicky on the largest and smallest few cogs. I am not ready to say it's not me yet, but I have tinkered with it a bit and still haven't smoothed things out. In the middle, it is indistinguishable from SRAM and Shimano stuff.
Old 03-23-20, 08:40 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
I have a question---

I got a 3x7-speed Microshift kit for an old Cannondale which can't use modern gearing (126-mm dropout spacing.) I installed the right (rear shifter) and while it takes some adapting every time I ride (all the rest of my road bikes are Shimano) I find the shape comfortable and the performance acceptable.

I did not install the left (front) shifter because as far as I could tell, it didn't have trim detentes. I find with such a wide (7-speed triple) front chain set, trimming is essential---either the top or bottom half of the cassette will cause interference without using the trim settings---and the existing Shimano Claris FD and shifter handles it excellently.

Does anyone know if the low-budget Microshift front shifter has those distinct trim detentes? I couldn't feel them, and when I pulled the cable ( to simulate being attached to the FD) and worked the shifter I couldn't get adjustments .... which is why the shifter is sitting in a box on my shelf.

Anyone use the budget 3x7 who could help out?