Reload this Page >

How will COVID19 affect randonneuring?

Notices
Coronavirus/COVID-19 Discussion of the novel coronavirus

How will COVID19 affect randonneuring?

Old 03-24-20, 12:46 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 480 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1668 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
it was posted on the NJ rando facebook page. Mostly just mealy mouthed stuff though
Well of course, it's Facebook, and Facebook is loathsome. I resent being forced to use it. RUSA members pay to support the RUSA website; that is where this information should be appearing.
Old 03-24-20, 05:04 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 225 Posts
I was characterizing the letter, not facebook.
Old 03-25-20, 01:07 AM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 50 Posts
Malaysia has extended the Restricted Movement Order to April 14... so there goes next month's Fleche too. Though I wasn't really planning on officially riding that anyway -- don't have a team and all -- but would probably ghost-ride it solo if it were still on.
Old 03-25-20, 06:05 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

ghost riding a fleche is an idea that wouldn't occur to me. Hopefully we can get back on track by summer. It's going to be tough though. Especially in the U.S., where a lot of people want to get us out of isolation before it makes sense, so our isolation will be reimposed later, most likely.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 03-25-20, 09:51 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

well, NY-Montreal-NY is postponed a year
Old 03-26-20, 11:15 AM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm View Post
No, that's not it. Membership is up to date.

I'll go back and poke around some more. Maybe somewhere on the website is a place to subscribe to an email list? My first thought was the email went to spam, but that doesn't seem to be it either.

Regardless where my email went, I would think an announcement of this kind would appear on the "announcements" page.
RUSA should have your email address as part of their membership information, it doesn't take a separate email list. My guess is you either haven't furnished an email, or the one they have is out of date. You might try emailing them to confirm that they have your latest email.
And yes, it should be on the announcements page and isn't.
Old 03-26-20, 11:30 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Originally Posted by StephenH View Post
RUSA should have your email address as part of their membership information, it doesn't take a separate email list. My guess is you either haven't furnished an email, or the one they have is out of date. You might try emailing them to confirm that they have your latest email.
And yes, it should be on the announcements page and isn't.
I will email them.

I got a confirmation email when I renewed my membership for 2020, so they definitely have my email address... or at least they did in January.
Old 03-26-20, 11:00 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Here is what I saw https://mailchi.mp/rusa.org/covid-1399816

The RUSA board cleared all April events from the calendar. This weekend's rides are the last until May

Just a few days ago, on March 21, we told members that we weren't shutting down nationally but we said that could change any day. Since then, things have quickly gone downhill. The US confirmed cases have increased ten-fold and surpassed China. Our European and English speaking brethren worldwide have shut down, including Canada, UK, Australia and New Zealand. In much of Europe, not even solo riding is allowed other than utility cycling.

While not every State or County in the US has declared stay at home orders, we are heading that way. Testing has ramped up, giving us a better picture of community spread, but it's still incomplete. Too many are being monitored, test results unconfirmed.

So ... with concern for our members, their families and communities, we started contacting RBAs one by one who still had rides on the calendar for April. While every RBA was being ultra careful, the Board felt that those rides needed to be cancelled. At this point, we have nothing on the calendar for April. There is a small handful of rides taking place this weekend; but April is cleared.

At this time we aren't sure about May. Rides are still on the calendar. The Board did not want this to be "closed until further notice", rather we'd see where this was headed, whether things were starting to level off. In densely populated areas, we do not expect the virus to have peaked in April. We need to develop a reopen strategy, perhaps starting out with short populaires that won't require either support or replenishment stops. If and when we approach this decision, it will probably be with travel and rider count restrictions. We want riders to feel safe and comfortable, and the Board wants your support and agreement that it's the right thing to do. We will be setting up a small board-led committee of RBAs to monitor and recommend a reopen strategy.

Dave Thompson, for the RUSA Board

Last edited by unterhausen; 03-27-20 at 06:41 PM.
Old 03-28-20, 07:04 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 1383 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 128 Posts
The RUSA board cleared all April events from the calendar. This weekend's rides are the last until May
Not too surprising given the liability concerns RUSA faces. Certainly cancelling all the rides is the most conservative approach.
Old 03-28-20, 08:22 AM
antimonysarah

Bikes: Nishiki Bel-Air, Brompton P6L, Seven Resolute SLX, Co-motion Divide, Xtracycle RFA

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm View Post
Well of course, it's Facebook, and Facebook is loathsome. I resent being forced to use it. RUSA members pay to support the RUSA website; that is where this information should be appearing.
It was sent to RBAs and officials, not to members, and was intended more as RBA communication -- they're still expecting communication to regions to be through the RBAs rather than RUSA. (Whether that's the best plan or not is a separate discussion, but that's why you haven't seen it on the RUSA website.) The post to NJ Randonneurs was a repost of the email as a screencap, not some official RUSA posting.

The link unterhausen posted is the most recent official communication to all members.

Edit: now that second message has gone out to everyone, via email (and reposted to the official RUSA facebook; isn't up on the site yet but I expect it will be.

Last edited by antimonysarah; 03-28-20 at 05:58 PM.
Old 03-29-20, 09:33 AM
ROT_01

Bikes: Burley '05, Jamis hardtail '02, Hercules (German mixte from the early 80's). No dreambikes, but plenty of dream rides

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I sent this to tue RUSA board:
I believe all RUSA sanctioned rides should be officially cancelled with a potential restart set for June 1 at the earliest. I interpret anything less as an abdication of responsibility not only to memebership but public health at large. In many states, including my homestate of Florida, not enough is being done to slow and monitor the virus. Very limited access to testing only began here a week ago and it takes 5-7 days to get the results. I think it's irresponsible for politicians and leadership of national organizations to throw up their hands and say it's up to locals to decide what to do. That is a sure way to spread the virus. Now the only prority should be the virus, not some silly trinkets and card stamps. People can still ride their bikes if they choose, but I don't like the message being sent by RUSA board's apparent "wait and see" approach.
-
Aaron Suko
Rusa# 10316
Likes For ROT_01:
Old 03-29-20, 12:05 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

GLR board has voted to disaffiliate all rides from RUSA until at least mid June.

Interesting times.
Likes For kingston:
Old 03-29-20, 05:43 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I wouldn't hold rides, but things are different out your way
Old 03-29-20, 07:09 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Originally Posted by antimonysarah View Post
It was sent to RBAs and officials, not to members, and was intended more as RBA communication -- they're still expecting communication to regions to be through the RBAs rather than RUSA. (Whether that's the best plan or not is a separate discussion, but that's why you haven't seen it on the RUSA website.) The post to NJ Randonneurs was a repost of the email as a screencap, not some official RUSA posting.

The link unterhausen posted is the most recent official communication to all members.

Edit: now that second message has gone out to everyone, via email (and reposted to the official RUSA facebook; isn't up on the site yet but I expect it will be.
Thanks, Sarah, I believe you've hit on the correct answer; and yes indeed, I received the second message around 6 PM yesterday.

Last edited by rhm; 03-30-20 at 07:44 AM.
Old 03-30-20, 08:04 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I feel like the probability is high that this will be the first year since I started randonneuring that I have zero km in rando events.
Old 03-30-20, 08:26 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

I wouldn't hold rides, but things are different out your way
We might not hold any either but figure we are in a better position to make that call than RUSA. Disaffiliating also allows us to accept electronic proof-of-passage, which enables more flexible routing and minimal/no contact at controls, which is no different than the solo rides most of us are still doing anyway. The updated ride procedures are pretty thoughtful IMO.
Old 03-30-20, 01:43 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

About ten years ago I started riding a century (any bike ride of 100 miles or more) every month. I did that for several years before joining RUSA. Once I started riding RUSA rides regularly, I got to liking the camaraderie; and now that there are no RUSA rides, the camaraderie is what I miss. Obviously there are many ways to do long solo rides without risk of catching or spreading the virus, but it's hard to combine social distancing and camaraderie. A friend and I did a brevet a couple weeks ago, and tried to maintain social distance as appropriate, but when i got a flat tire and was struggling to get the tire off the rim and other problems, we seemed to forget all about that. In hindsight I can now attest that it wasn't a problem... but it could have been.
Old 04-03-20, 11:40 AM
gecho

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Local cycling body here in Sask. extended event cancellations to mid-June. I'll miss the pleasure of the early season 200s where its just below freezing for the start and gets all the way up to 10C by mid-afternoon.