Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Store mountain bike/fork upside down?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-18, 11:48 AM
greyghost_6
Pleasurable Pain

Bikes: Voodoo Rada, KHS Alite 4000, Smith & Wesson Tactical, Diamondback Response

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I store my bike upside down in the garage ceiling and noticed a bit of oil on the top of the stanchions. Three questions
1. Is it ill advised to store bikes with suspension forks upside down due to leekage?
2. Its an old suntour nrx7000 magnesium fork and leekage could be due to age and poor quality. Sould I replace it?
3. I would like to call myself a mechanic but have never dabbled into fork maintenance...any easy care sus forks that are good? or do i need to up my mechanic game and start repair and maintainance on forks?
Thanks!

Last edited by greyghost_6; 06-24-18 at 12:12 PM.
Old 06-25-18, 12:10 AM
eshew

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 30 Posts
1. It's not ill advised. A fork shouldn't leak if it's upside down. I've got a few hanging on the wall & they don't leak. If they did it's seal time or at least maintenance time.
2. Most likely old seals. The degrade over time with use. You might get lucky & cleaning the seals could solve the problem but most likely they are just worn out.
3. If you really like the bike you could get a new or used fork. I'm partial to the old Marzocchi Z1's & Z2's for my old bikes. They last forever but can be heavy with only rebound adjustments. You should step up your game & delv into suspension work. Often times it's pretty simple but occasionally I've had to modify sockets to remove chamfers for proper contact or to remove material to make the outside diameter narrow enough to fit tight spots. A properly maintained fork feels light years better than the alternative. Slickoleum is the best suspension grease I've found. If you do a search for suntour nrx7000 seals a few options come up, you'll need to figure our what diameter your stanchions are.
Old 06-25-18, 08:39 AM
grubetown

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 21 Posts
The other potential issue from hanging a bike upside down is that air bubble can get to the calipers of hydraulic brakes.

If the fork hasn't been serviced, it may need to be replaced as older forks are notoriously difficult to get parts for.
Old 07-02-18, 03:05 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by greyghost_6
So I store my bike upside down in the garage ceiling and noticed a bit of oil on the top of the stanchions. Three questions
1. Is it ill advised to store bikes with suspension forks upside down due to leekage?
2. Its an old suntour nrx7000 magnesium fork and leekage could be due to age and poor quality. Sould I replace it?
3. I would like to call myself a mechanic but have never dabbled into fork maintenance...any easy care sus forks that are good? or do i need to up my mechanic game and start repair and maintainance on forks?
Thanks!
My 10 year old Gary Fisher is bat like and lives in the garage upside down.
Fork is still sweeeeet no issues. However, I often bang my head on the seat or bars when walking about.
Old 07-09-18, 06:31 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Some people actually recommend storing bikes with the front tire up so that the upper foam rings don't dry out.
Old 07-10-18, 06:30 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by gsa103
Some people actually recommend storing bikes with the front tire up so that the upper foam rings don't dry out.
That is what I was thinking. And even if the fork does not have foam rings, it gets the oil up in the bushings so that they are already well lubed when you start riding.