Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Any Hacks to drop the height of a handlebar bag?

Old 02-22-20, 08:06 PM
  #1  
Happy Feet
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Happy Feet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Left Coast, Canada
Posts: 4,021
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1621 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 332 Posts
Any Hacks to drop the height of a handlebar bag?

Hi all. I just ordered a Carradice Carradry series HB bag to go along with my similar saddle bag and panniers but note that the klickfix bar fastener sits the bag quite high in the air. I've been doodling some ways to add a second accessory bar lower so the bag rides down somewhat like a rando bag. Anyone DIY or know of an adapter or idea? I know of decaleurs but would still need a way to connect the klickfix system.

The bag link is here: https://www.carradice.co.uk/bags/han...-handlebar-bag

And my bike is here. Note the quill stem so adding a second threadless stem won't work

Happy Feet is offline  
Old 02-22-20, 10:55 PM
  #2  
ThermionicScott 
7-speed cultist
 
ThermionicScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CID
Posts: 20,034

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers)

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2766 Post(s)
Liked 674 Times in 470 Posts
Front rack is the traditional way to do that. Iím converting my rando bike from KlickFix to front rack this winter.
__________________
Originally Posted by chandltp View Post
There's no such thing as too far.. just lack of time
Originally Posted by noglider
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
ThermionicScott is offline  
Old 02-23-20, 05:17 AM
  #3  
Tourist in MSN
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 6,749

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, Perfekt 3 Speed -age unknown, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1656 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 188 Times in 152 Posts
A second threadless stem won't fit with a shim? Might need two shims if the second stem was 1 1/8 inch, one inch steerer tube sized stems are pretty rare.
Tourist in MSN is offline  
Old 02-23-20, 09:12 AM
  #4  
antimonysarah
Senior Member
 
antimonysarah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Medford, MA
Posts: 600

Bikes: Nishiki Bel-Air, Brompton P6L, Seven Resolute SLX, Co-motion Divide, Xtracycle RFA

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet View Post
Hi all. I just ordered a Carradice Carradry series HB bag to go along with my similar saddle bag and panniers but note that the klickfix bar fastener sits the bag quite high in the air. I've been doodling some ways to add a second accessory bar lower so the bag rides down somewhat like a rando bag. Anyone DIY or know of an adapter or idea? I know of decaleurs but would still need a way to connect the klickfix system.

The bag link is here: https://www.carradice.co.uk/bags/han...-handlebar-bag

And my bike is here. Note the quill stem so adding a second threadless stem won't work

Those accessory mounts that give you a second chunk of handlebar, but instead of turning it so it's forward-ish, angle it downwards? Then put the mount on that.

I'm not sure which of those are well-regarded; a quick search led me to endless amazon results for cheap crap ones (although it's a few chunks of aluminum, cheap crap might be fine). Just make sure it's the right handlebar diameter or comes with the right shims. I'd go with one of the double ones that grab the handlebar on both sides, even if you don't need that much bar space, because the bag is more weight than a GPS or light. But there's definitely tons of them out there that are pretty inexpensive, so you don't have to DIY.

(I am personally short enough that there isn't much difference, height-wise, between a hypothetical rack-mount bag and my existing handlebar bag; it just barely clears my fork-mounted headlight; if I had a front rack with an out-front light mount I could have a bag go perhaps an inch lower, but that's it. So I've never actually done this, but it seems like it wouldn't be hard.)
antimonysarah is offline  
Old 02-23-20, 12:06 PM
  #5  
unterhausen
Randomhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Happy Valley, Pennsylvania
Posts: 19,540
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 286 Times in 223 Posts
I have had some annoying rides with other people because their handlebar bags kept slipping down. I like racks
unterhausen is offline  
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 02-23-20, 08:42 PM
  #6  
Happy Feet
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Happy Feet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Left Coast, Canada
Posts: 4,021
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1621 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 332 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN View Post
A second threadless stem won't fit with a shim? Might need two shims if the second stem was 1 1/8 inch, one inch steerer tube sized stems are pretty rare.
I might try that route when the bag comes. I hadn't thought of double shims but that might work.

Originally Posted by antimonysarah View Post
Those accessory mounts that give you a second chunk of handlebar, but instead of turning it so it's forward-ish, angle it downwards? Then put the mount on that.

I'm not sure which of those are well-regarded; a quick search led me to endless amazon results for cheap crap ones (although it's a few chunks of aluminum, cheap crap might be fine). Just make sure it's the right handlebar diameter or comes with the right shims. I'd go with one of the double ones that grab the handlebar on both sides, even if you don't need that much bar space, because the bag is more weight than a GPS or light. But there's definitely tons of them out there that are pretty inexpensive, so you don't have to DIY.

(I am personally short enough that there isn't much difference, height-wise, between a hypothetical rack-mount bag and my existing handlebar bag; it just barely clears my fork-mounted headlight; if I had a front rack with an out-front light mount I could have a bag go perhaps an inch lower, but that's it. So I've never actually done this, but it seems like it wouldn't be hard.)
Thanks, don't know why I didn't look at those before. That's exactly the idea but I guess it depends on how much weight they can hold.

Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
I have had some annoying rides with other people because their handlebar bags kept slipping down. I like racks
Yes. That is one concern of mine too. The klickfix system seems to be widespread but I can't help but wonder what happens when I hit a big bump or something. I know they have a retaining wire too. The rack is preferred but I would still need to figure out how to attach the klickfix for easy removal. Maybe a DIY extension to the rack like decaleur mount for rando bags.

Bag should be here soon so I can see what I'm looking at as far as aesthetics anyway. On line they just seem to be cantilevered too high without support.
Happy Feet is offline  
Old 02-24-20, 05:11 AM
  #7  
Tourist in MSN
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 6,749

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, Perfekt 3 Speed -age unknown, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1656 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 188 Times in 152 Posts
I am not familiar with the Carradry handlebar bag. I got some clearance sale priced Louis Garaneau (spell?) bags several years ago and found them to not be stiff at all, they badly sagged with only a small amount of weight in the bags. I rectified that with some 1.5" X 0.125" aluminum bar to stiffen up the back and bottom of the bag.

If you find that the bag sags and could use some reinforcement, let me know and I will try to find a good photo that explains what I am talking about. I first tried 0.75" X 0.125" aluminum but that was too weak for the larger bags I used for touring, but that was adequate for a smaller bag I used for brevets.
Tourist in MSN is offline  
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 02-24-20, 01:02 PM
  #8  
clasher
Senior Member
 
clasher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Kitchener, ON
Posts: 2,525
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
Nitro makes a really strong looking extension bar but itís really expensive. I would be tempted to just run a cheap sun lite front rack, they mount on the canti posts and are less than 15$ on Amazon. Might be too low depending on how big the bag is though.
clasher is online now  
Old 02-25-20, 04:43 AM
  #9  
Ghazmh
Senior Member
 
Ghazmh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: The banks of the River Charles
Posts: 1,273

Bikes: 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520, 2006 Gary Fisher Montare

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 113 Posts
I have an Ortlieb Klickfix compatible mount on my touring bike, hybrid, and steel road bike. They make a light extension that attaches to the bag mount and gets the light up over the bag. On the downside it’s ugly, very ugly.
Ghazmh is offline  
Old 02-25-20, 09:27 AM
  #10  
Happy Feet
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Happy Feet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Left Coast, Canada
Posts: 4,021
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1621 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 332 Posts
Originally Posted by clasher View Post
Nitro makes a really strong looking extension bar but itís really expensive. I would be tempted to just run a cheap sun lite front rack, they mount on the canti posts and are less than 15$ on Amazon. Might be too low depending on how big the bag is though.
Wow, that is a nice looking extension if somewhat pricey! Considering...

Originally Posted by Ghazmh View Post
I have an Ortlieb Klickfix compatible mount on my touring bike, hybrid, and steel road bike. They make a light extension that attaches to the bag mount and gets the light up over the bag. On the downside itís ugly, very ugly.
The Carradry bag has a detachable light mount that comes with it and sits underneath the bag so a typical HB mounted light can rest just above the fender.

Thanks all. I have some ideas now and will post back with my solution once the bag comes and I can see what's what.
Happy Feet is offline  
Old 02-25-20, 01:54 PM
  #11  
Smitty2k1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I'm using one of the generic carbon extension bars from Amazon to hold my Road Runner Jammer without issue.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There are a million to choose from, its nice that it gets the bag off the bars so you can ride the flats with a little more finger room.
Smitty2k1 is offline  
Old 02-26-20, 12:05 PM
  #12  
rhm
multimodal commuter
 
rhm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: NJ, NYC, LI
Posts: 19,339

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 480 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1668 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 96 Posts
I gave up on the click-fix things, in part for the reason you cute. I like a rack with decaleur.

In the "crazy hacks" department I think you could get a pair of those MTB bar ends. They mount to a 22.2 mm handlebar, so you should be able to mount one on the lower part of your stem, and mount a second one on the first one to geta kind of L-shaped thing cantilevered out below your handle bar. Ugly, but probably strong enough.
__________________
I put new leather on ruined saddles like Brooks, etc. You can reach me by private message.
rhm is offline  
Old 03-01-20, 01:19 PM
  #13  
yannisg
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 348
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Same problem.
I don't like the light extension, and instead, I lower the bag as much as necessary so the light mounted on the handlebar is not obstructed.
yannisg is offline  
Old 03-02-20, 12:59 PM
  #14  
bark_eater 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Eastern Shore, MD
Posts: 819

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 51 Posts
I've used a Thorn "T" accessory mount from SJS on a quill stem. I made a shim out of a PVC fitting from the hardware store. Functionally its the the same as using a second stem but a bit cleaner looking.
bark_eater is offline  
Old 03-03-20, 10:37 AM
  #15  
Happy Feet
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Happy Feet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Left Coast, Canada
Posts: 4,021
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1621 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 332 Posts
Originally Posted by bark_eater View Post
I've used a Thorn "T" accessory mount from SJS on a quill stem. I made a shim out of a PVC fitting from the hardware store. Functionally its the the same as using a second stem but a bit cleaner looking.
Holy Moly,. That's exactly what I want! I could use it on my endurance bike at least that has aeros.

If I don't go the rack route I'm going to try to get that.
Bags in. Mounts fine as is but is a little high and interferes a bit with the cross lever brakes. I'll post a little review.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 03-03-20 at 10:48 AM.
Happy Feet is offline  
Old 03-03-20, 11:21 AM
  #16  
Tourist in MSN
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 6,749

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, Perfekt 3 Speed -age unknown, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1656 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 188 Times in 152 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet View Post
Holy Moly,. That's exactly what I want! I could use it on my endurance bike at least that has aeros.

If I don't go the rack route I'm going to try to get that.
....
I use the second stem on some bikes, but on my expedition bike use the 55mm Thorn accessory bar. That might be too short for some stems, but works well for mine. I do not have a great photo of it, but I have a couple of poor photos that show it. I used it on a 1 1/8 steerer tube, not a quill stem like you have but I am sure you could shim it.



I mentioned in a post above that i used some aluminum bar to help support my bag better from sagging. I started with 3/4 X 1/8 inch bar, later went to 1.5 inch wide, the photo above shows my first version with the 3/4 inch wide reinforcement bar that goes under the bag. But that is not the Carradry bag you have so maybe you do not need something to prevent sag like I did.



Photos of my other bikes with a second stem setup at this link if you are interested:
https://www.bikeforums.net/19930025-post28.html

In all my photos you will notice I am using interrupter brake levers on the bars, I can't tell from your photo if you have them or not. I have them angled down a bit more than I have some others set them up. I have the bag close enough to the handlebar that if I had the levers further forward, they would get a bit tight to get my hands on the levers quickly.
Tourist in MSN is offline  
Likes For Tourist in MSN:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.