Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Giving your creations a "brand"

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-10, 10:48 AM
mudboy

Bikes: Ruckelshaus Randonneur, Specialized Allez (early 90's, steel), Ruckelshaus Path Bomber currently being built

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

As I finish the rear triangle of my first frame, I've been thinking about what to call it. I will absolutely build another, and could see myself being a low-volume builder if my skills continue to progress...so having something that identifies a frame as "mine" wouldn't be a bad thing.

I'm probably not going to use my last name; it's long, German, and not very easy to spell or pronounce. So, I've landed on names from one of my favorite authors, James Fennimore Cooper...frame number one (a sport tourer) will be the "Natty Bumppo". Too weird? Too corny?

How have you named your creations? Or have you avoided the name issue altogether?

Thanks

Pete
Old 02-09-10, 11:11 AM
Cassave

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by mudboy
As I finish the rear triangle of my first frame, I've been thinking about what to call it. I will absolutely build another, and could see myself being a low-volume builder if my skills continue to progress...so having something that identifies a frame as "mine" wouldn't be a bad thing.

I'm probably not going to use my last name; it's long, German, and not very easy to spell or pronounce. So, I've landed on names from one of my favorite authors, James Fennimore Cooper...frame number one (a sport tourer) will be the "Natty Bumppo". Too weird? Too corny?

How have you named your creations? Or have you avoided the name issue altogether?

Thanks

Pete
I've been riding my own frames for about 30 years and never put a name on any of them (until the latest).
One downside of an unidentifiable frame is that you'll get lot's of people asking "what kind of frame is that".
My standard answer has always been "homebuilt", which can launch into another 20 questions....not always the best thing at times.
So this last frame I made decals with the name of the street I live on and put them on the downtube.
Riding that bike, I can always just point to the decals and avoid the questions.
Old 02-09-10, 03:24 PM
NoReg
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
There are lot of at least lower end frames out there that don't have names on them. They come with decals and it is up to you. I prefer frames without any name on them. It's just one of those crazy things about frames they are all pimped up with advertising. I make furniture and boats, lots of other things, and brand names are not traditionally plastered all over them.

About a year ago, I got excited with the idea that I should embrace the look aspect of the craft, like that lady did with her little fishes brand. It's all part of the framebuilding scene. Then I also started to think that I would probably get more approval if I used lugs; and then I started to look at the idea that I would have to slightly adjust my geometry to accommodate the lugs. All of a sudden I was off the path I had chosen building someone else's idea of a frame rather than what I liked myself. That is why I don't show frames either. It doesn't (at the moment) mater to me whether other people get what I am doing, while I seem to too easily allow myself to get off track if I don't watch out. Of course if I was selling it would be a different thing.

Too bad, because I had the best bike name. It worked for where I live (both places), what I like, and it was bike related. Can't believe nobody else uses it, other than the fact that a lot of people use their surnames.
Old 02-09-10, 04:48 PM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22, several Paramounts

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 57 Posts
I used my screen name.

Driveside down tube panel...

my bikes

Science doesn't care what you believe.
Old 02-09-10, 08:01 PM
painthawg
painthawg

Bikes: '01 Specialized Allez,'86 Schwinn Madison,?? Schwinn World Tourist,2007 IRO BFSSFG,2007 Trek Madone 5.0,2008 IRO RR Group Buy, Mid 80's Santana

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mudboy
I am asking myself this question. For now I've pasted parts of my children's names into a single word. As I am probably several months away from finishing my first frame I have a while to mull it over. Definitely not an easy question for everyone, myself included.
Old 02-09-10, 09:19 PM
Canaboo

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Maybe go with some titles or other characters. "Pathfinder" "Killdeer" etc.
Old 02-10-10, 03:35 AM
rodar y rodar
weirdo

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I can see how people would want no names on their frames, but it seems like a nice finishing touch to me. My first is already named and I just barely ordered the materials for it.
PeterPan, it sounds like you confused yourself. You must have really taken that naming business to heart
Old 02-10-10, 10:58 AM
mudboy

Bikes: Ruckelshaus Randonneur, Specialized Allez (early 90's, steel), Ruckelshaus Path Bomber currently being built

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Canaboo
Maybe go with some titles or other characters. "Pathfinder" "Killdeer" etc.
That's exactly what I plan on doing..."Pathfinder" for a 'cross bike, "Killdeer" for a race bike, "Montcalm" for a porteur, "Magua" for a mountain bike, "Cora" (Col. Munro's daughter) for a mixte that I'm thinking of building for my wife, etc. The first, one and only, though, will be "Natty Bumppo".
Old 02-10-10, 12:28 PM
joseph senger

Bikes: trek 8000, GF sugar 1, 1975 schwinn fairlady, 1942 ccm, 1965 ccm retro mod, khe lagger flatland bike...ect..

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
well i thought i already replied to this. mostly want to say hey to "peterpan"!! i emailed you whilei was in TO, but the addy i had was defunct.

In terms of names, or branding, i think they distract from the frame and craft in many ways, it is a commercial notion, and one based mostly on the disconnectedness between craftsman or product, and plays on the ignorance of what we think of as consumer. beyond that, there is also that whole superstar notoriety thing involved with it. really, what the hell does a name have to do with the uses of riding a bike.
Old 02-10-10, 07:25 PM
NoReg
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Ping!

Too bad I missed you. You could have come by and seen my cast iron jig, and my really really shinny one. On the other hand it is kinda depressing in my shop at the moment. Tilting towards the woodwork at the moment, with no bikes on the horizon for a while. I'm even trying to sell my TIG. Though I haven't heard a thing back about it, so maybe I did something self-preserving like not actually push the "post ad", whatever my memories may be...
Old 02-11-10, 10:10 PM
scbvideoboy

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sort of on topic...anybody know where I can get a custom "badge" made up with my logo to bolt or pop rivet on a tube? Curved to fit a head tube or similiar.

I have been thinking a carbon fiber base (molded around a tube shape) with a recess to put a machined alum round piece with letters either machined or bonded in.

how are people making decals?

Dave
Old 02-12-10, 12:11 AM
KNEEL

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by scbvideoboy
sort of on topic...anybody know where I can get a custom "badge" made up with my logo to bolt or pop rivet on a tube? Curved to fit a head tube or similiar.

I have been thinking a carbon fiber base (molded around a tube shape) with a recess to put a machined alum round piece with letters either machined or bonded in.

how are people making decals?

Dave
https://www.headbadges.com/
Old 02-12-10, 10:14 AM
stanridgespeed 

Bikes: Too many to list

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
make it easy to pronounce

I was blown away by how bad my company name is butchered. I thought it'd be easy to spell and pronounce. Also think of communicating contact info over the phone etc.. I always have to spell it out over the phone or in person for that matter.