Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Resolutions/Goals?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Resolutions/Goals?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-19, 01:40 PM
bikeridesteve

Bikes: 2017 Fuji Gran Fondo Classico LTD, Trek 7300 Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Happy New Year y'all. Don't have any specific resolutions for 2019 except getting more consistent about cycling:

Ride 3 times/week (outdoors), weather permitting.
More interval training to increase speed.
Supplemental training, e.g. weight training at least a couple of times a week.

Hopefully I'll do more of that in 2019 than I did in 2018, but not pressuring myself to do it. Life is too short!
Old 01-02-19, 05:05 PM
DeceptivelySlow

Bikes: Two wheels; multiple gears

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
If life allows me; I hope to have more miles on the bike and more miles on the feet with my wife. Got in a nice walk with the wife yesterday and nice ride today so I'll call it a good year as of today. Happy New Year and may your resolutions/goals work out.
Old 01-02-19, 10:38 PM
surlyprof

Bikes: 2011 Rivendell Sam Hillborne, 2016 Brompton M6R, 2017 Ritchey Timberwolf

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I hope to put more miles on the bike than the car. If I can keep bike above 4000 and the car below, I’ll consider that a successful year.

Happy New Year everyone.

john
Old 01-02-19, 10:56 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,927 Times in 2,553 Posts
My goals are two. To ride RondePDX in March (~7000' in 50 miles, all very close to my house, but some stretches very steep) and probably, ride the crazy gravel 5-day ride in the Cascades in June. (I've to scope out the camping amenities. I'll be 66 then. There are some things I have done in my younger days that I will not do now.

I'll have to look into RAMROD. I'll be building that kind of fitness. And Cycle Oregon - if the route interests me. Crater Lake - I'm on. Especially the North Entrance.

Ben
Old 01-04-19, 03:57 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Just my one usual goal: to do well on a particular event ride. The past few years, it's been RAMROD, 154 miles and 10,000'. Having one concrete goal rather than fuzzy goals is essential for me. Not a Resolution, just an ordinary goal. We always laugh to see the gym fill up with newbies for January and maybe part of February. Then we're back to the regulars again. Keeps the gym in business, though.
I thought ya'll were exaggerating this, but man was it crowded last night. Took about an hour for one of the treadmills to free up.
Old 01-04-19, 08:35 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
We always laugh to see the gym fill up with newbies for January and maybe part of February. Then we're back to the regulars again. Keeps the gym in business, though.
Originally Posted by wphamilton
I thought ya'll were exaggerating this, but man was it crowded last night. Took about an hour for one of the treadmills to free up.
Pews too.

Exception. New Year’s 2017, what with realDonald’s tweets for the past couple of years, hard to tell who are the “regulars”....

-mr. bill
Old 01-04-19, 10:46 PM
John00

Bikes: 2 TiSports and a Ho Ko E Koo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Resolutions/Goals? I have none, I'm going to ride as much and as far as I can, just like other years.
Old 01-05-19, 01:39 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Just my one usual goal: to do well on a particular event ride. The past few years, it's been RAMROD, 154 miles and 10,000'. Having one concrete goal rather than fuzzy goals is essential for me. Not a Resolution, just an ordinary goal.
Is not a bad word you know. But I think a lot of people fear it because we don't want to make promises that we can't keep. I've learned to make mine realistic. But they really need to be as clearly stated as possible. I start by giving myself either a time frame or a specific amount.

For example, I want to achieve a 10% BF ratio by July. Or not just I want to start a running, but say I want to start running 1 mi/wk by March, and be up to 3 mi/wk by summer. Now I'm a lot closer to something I can measure; and a clear and present plan to achieving my resolution...or goal if that's a more comfortable word for you.

Thing is, if you come back and I haven't made my goal by June, I still have another 6 months left to make myself honest.
We always laugh to see the gym fill up with newbies for January and maybe part of February. Then we're back to the regulars again. Keeps the gym in business, though.
I've made a game of it by predicting all the people that will drop out and by when. I've gotten pretty good at it over the years.
Originally Posted by FlashBazbo
My goals:
  • Same cumulative Training Stress Score as 2018, but riding 10% fewer miles.
  • Enter no race I'm not recruited to race. (And if that means no racing for the first time in years . . . so much the better.)
  • At least 12 new Strava KOM's (down from 21 in 2018).
Bad FlashBazbo. Resolutions really need to be stated positively. Sure you can state you're not gong to ride your bike in any dangerous environments, but its better to be positive and say you're going ride more safely and/or exercise with more caution in '19 than you did in '18.
Originally Posted by John00
Resolutions/Goals? I have none, I'm going to ride as much and as far as I can, just like other years.
Well, actually, a "rose by any other name...". That's still a resolution.
Old 01-07-19, 07:53 AM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
I'm a goal setter for sure.

2019 Metric Century.

Here I am 60 years old. I'm not in terrible shape or even the slightest bit over weight but I'm certainly out of shape. For many years I did fun bike rides and usually did four or 5 half or metric centuries a year. That was a long time ago, the last time I did any serious riding was 25 years ago. I do want to lose about 10 pounds but better yet just tone up a bit.

I have a classic steel road and a entry level mountain. Where I live we have all kinds of trails from epic single track to rail trails. Road biking is a bit of a challenge because it's hilly, 3 miles in my neighborhood is about it but I have noticed it getting a little easier??? I took my road bike completely apart, replaced the bearings, new seat, brakes, new cables and rubber. Most of the bike is as purchased in 1986.

So I have all of my gear and accessories set to go even have a smart watch now I need to get going. Out of excuses. Starting now I'm going to use an indoor exercise bike and when the weather allows some short rides. By April 1 I want to be in the saddle 4 days/week and by May 15 on the road ramping up to ride a metric century end of July. That is my goal for the year a metric by July 28. What I want to do is not simply complete the ride, I want to bomb it.
Old 01-07-19, 08:08 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
My goal is to have no goals. Wait. What?
Old 01-07-19, 01:26 PM
nesdog

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Disc

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 39 Posts
Sign up for Tour de Tahoe in September. Seventy two miles around the lake. I've spent plenty of time riding the north shore but never the full loop. The event comes during busy work period so always vacationed in July. Different this time? I'll be retired!
Old 01-07-19, 09:00 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by bruce19
My goal is to have no goals. Wait. What?
No goals mean you don't progress. Not a typically a good thing.
Old 01-08-19, 07:58 AM
bruce19

Originally Posted by KraneXL
No goals mean you don't progress. Not a typically a good thing.
Not really. It just means you don't set expectations. Riding and just enjoying the ride is not typically a bad thing.
Old 01-08-19, 01:31 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by nesdog
Sign up for Tour de Tahoe in September. Seventy two miles around the lake. I've spent plenty of time riding the north shore but never the full loop. The event comes during busy work period so always vacationed in July. Different this time? I'll be retired!
Awesome! I've ridden around the lake a few times. Once on the TDT and then a few other times solo. It was a very well run event when I did it.
Old 01-08-19, 02:42 PM
kevincgove

Bikes: 1988 Davidson Impulse-updated with current components; 2018 Canondale Topstone Sora

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'd like to find a riding club to join that fits my riding style or find a riding partner or two.
Old 01-08-19, 09:41 PM
KraneXL

Not really. It just means you don't set expectations. Riding and just enjoying the ride is not typically a bad thing.
You're mincing words. Yes, even the laziest bum on the side of the road that lives day to day and never lifts a finger to improve himself will move forward along with the rest of society. However, that's not what we're taking about here. Rather, individual expectations and achievements. Everyone (however you care to make them) needs goals and plans to accomplish that.
Old 01-09-19, 06:20 AM
bruce19

You're mincing words. Yes, even the laziest bum on the side of the road that lives day to day and never lifts a finger to improve himself will move forward along with the rest of society. However, that's not what we're taking about here. Rather, individual expectations and achievements. Everyone (however you care to make them) needs goals and plans to accomplish that.
I am not "mincing words" whatever that may mean to you. I'm stating my perspective. No one said anything about a lazy bum who doesn't care to move forward. We are talking about setting goals. I plan to go out without set goals and enjoy my ride. I guarantee you that without setting goals I will be stronger/faster/smoother in September than I will be in April. You don't have to set a goal to improve. Sometimes improvement, however one decides to define that term, happens as a result of participation.
Old 01-09-19, 06:44 AM
daoswald

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
Maintain my 2018 weight loss of 37 pounds. Possibly get to an even 40, but if I don't, that's ok too. Continue going to the gym four times a week unti it is warm enough to ride outdoors Then ride four times a week and layer weight workouts in two times (continuing what I started doing in the Fall).

Hit 4000 miles, versus 3000 in 2018. Climb Little Cottonwood Canyon or Big Cottonwood Canyon once every two weeks or more frequently, once the snow is gone. Do at least one century on the spring and one in the fall.
Old 01-09-19, 07:53 AM
KraneXL

I am not "mincing words" whatever that may mean to you.
To be indirect.
I'm stating my perspective. No one said anything about a lazy bum who doesn't care to move forward. We are talking about setting goals.
An analogy, not meant to be taken literally.
I plan to go out without set goals and enjoy my ride. I guarantee you that without setting goals I will be stronger/faster/smoother in September than I will be in April. You don't have to set a goal to improve. Sometimes improvement, however one decides to define that term, happens as a result of participation.
I was under the impression we had already come to a consensus on your potential? See previous post.
Old 01-10-19, 05:38 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3773 Post(s)
Liked 1,043 Times in 789 Posts
I'm resolved to age well...

Long article, but a good read...

https://cosmosmagazine.com/biology/m...ow-to-age-well
Old 01-10-19, 06:03 AM
KraneXL

Well you missed the cliffs? Allow me:

This is a look into research that supports caloric restrictions and suggest exercise additionally, may slowdown the signs of aging.

Voisin tells me that calorie restriction can produce an epigenetic “signature” or biological age younger than a person’s chronological age. It is much less clear, she says, whether exercise could have a similar effect.
Old 01-10-19, 10:39 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3773 Post(s)
Liked 1,043 Times in 789 Posts
Well you missed the cliffs? Allow me:

This is a look into research that supports caloric restrictions and suggest exercise additionally, may slowdown the signs of aging.

Voisin tells me that calorie restriction can produce an epigenetic “signature” or biological age younger than a person’s chronological age. It is much less clear, she says, whether exercise could have a similar effect.
Actually, I do know the importance to calorie restriction; I learned it on my thru-hike of the Appalachian Trail. Long story short, while hiking the trail you are forced to basically run on caloric "fumes" day-after-day, until you get to the next town and resupply and eat all you can in restaurant(s); this is all because you can only carry so much, thus you must ration your food, but at the same time you're walking over mountains all day with a weight on your back -- fun stuff. In the beginning you're irritable and are usually in a state of very low energy; however, after a while your body becomes super efficient. I was totally surprised at how much I could do on so little food.

After my hike, I started looking into this issue and, again, long story short, I am now convinced more than ever that we Westerners eat way too much food. Everyone hears that about eating way too much food, but it's one thing to hear about it and another to experience it. I now am very conscious of not eating too much and at times I do very long rides and such on an empty stomach.

However, with that said, I see weightlifting and other exercises very important for us ageing folks, simply because if we don't we will lose muscle mass, no matter how good our diet is we will lose it, if we don't use it. You can eat all the quality protein in the world, but if you're not exercising your muscles, they will get weaker and weaker, until you have a fall or some other negative effect of an ageing body.

BTW, here's a great article on exercising on an empty stomach

https://www.triathlete.com/2014/06/n...-machine_31034

Fat is an almost unlimited resource, but it comes with two problems: The human brain is a sugar lover, and the rate at which fat is burned for fuel is too slow to support a hard, fast Ironman effort. In other words, your body fuels itself with a combination of glycogen and fat (and a little protein), with fat being the source of fuel that lasts but which cannot be tapped quickly enough to keep you moving fast.
Old 01-18-19, 08:50 PM
YankeeRider

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts
I want to lose 15lb and get in decent shape again. If (when) I reach that goal, I'll set another goal that raises the bar further.
Old 01-22-19, 06:50 AM
bruce19

Originally Posted by work4bike
.................. I am now convinced more than ever that we Westerners eat way too much food. Everyone hears that about eating way too much food, but it's one thing to hear about it and another to experience it. I now am very conscious of not eating too much and at times I do very long rides and such on an empty stomach.

However, with that said, I see weightlifting and other exercises very important for us ageing folks, simply because if we don't we will lose muscle mass, no matter how good our diet is we will lose it, if we don't use it. You can eat all the quality protein in the world, but if you're not exercising your muscles, they will get weaker and weaker, until you have a fall or some other negative effect of an ageing body.

BTW, here's a great article on exercising on an empty stomach

https://www.triathlete.com/2014/06/n...-machine_31034
Several months ago, I went to a couple online sites that had formulas for determining your daily calorie requirements for a given gender, age, and weight. With Male, age 72 and 180 as a goal, they all said I should eat 2,000-2,500 cals a day. Had my annual physical and mentioned this to my MD. She said that was too high and I should use 1800 cals. I was thinking, "How the hell can I do that?" Then I went to a low carb diet (not Keto) and, now, if I go over 1800 cals I feel like I've pigged out. I'm convinced that you are right...generally we eat too much. It doesn't help that we eat so much sugar and processed food either.
Old 01-22-19, 09:40 PM
BikingTech

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My goal this year is a new computer monitor with a 1440p resolution...waitta minute. I thought I was in tech forums.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.