Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Losing Weight: Short Fast Rides vs Long Slow Rides

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Losing Weight: Short Fast Rides vs Long Slow Rides

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-19, 11:25 PM
youcoming

Bikes: ParleeZ5/Parlee Chebacco/Trek Farley/Cannondale Slice/Burley Tandem

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Both are good for weight loss but what I found works the best for me came from GCN video. Get up have a black coffee do and hour long ride on empty stomach at a medium to hardish effort.
Old 01-26-19, 02:48 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Well the black coffee will certainly help raise your metabolic rate and burn fat. But you won't be riding hard for too long without a good supply of carbs. Unless you carb load previously?
Old 01-26-19, 06:33 AM
youcoming

Bikes: ParleeZ5/Parlee Chebacco/Trek Farley/Cannondale Slice/Burley Tandem

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
After the coffee you ride for just one hour.
Old 01-26-19, 07:02 AM
mynewnchome

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8 Raleigh Revenio 1.0

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 13 Posts
You've gained 5 pounds and are this concerned over a specific method to lose it? Get in the scale tomorrow morning, it may be gone like magic as we fluctuate daily.

I wish I only had a 5 pound concern......smdh.
Old 01-31-19, 10:45 AM
zowie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Long steady rides, and short intensity on the treadmill (or, rarely, outside).

The cycling contains some built-in intervals -- the hills.

Long is a virtue, but slow is not. Go at a pace that gets your HR up, but not so fast you can't finish your time/distance goal or you're too knocked out for your next ride.

Tho if that pace happens to be "slow" (which means different things for different people), no shame in that.
Old 02-01-19, 06:55 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by MattTheHat
I don't know, I'd have to speculate.

I'm considerably heavier than you. And I don't have any ride data that matches your parameters exactly. The closest I can get from looking at my data for the last 6 weeks is comparing rides in the area of 2:15 at 14 MPH and a ride of 1:22 at 16.3 MPH. Averaging the active calories my Apple Watch thinks I burned, and that which Strava thinks I burned, it looks like I burned somewhere around 300 calories more on the longer, slower rides. Not a huge difference.

-Matt
That 300 is the content of a light meal. To save that much every day is huge, if you're looking at your food intake calories versus your calorie energy output per day.
Old 02-02-19, 12:25 PM
since6

Bikes: Stevenson Custom, Stevenson Custom Tandem, Nishiki Professional

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 128 Posts
This is an interesting post coming at a good time for me. I have six weeks and then spinal surgery with three months of "no bending, lifting, twisting", but I did get a little light before the end of the tunnel as the surgeon is willing to consider at the first 15 day check up allowing me to use a step through bike trainer.
So I'm planning on putting the bike away, getting the exact measurements from my Stevenson Custom so I could set up the bike trainer as a mirror of this bike and begin training in advance of surgery which I will continue as soon as I can.

I plan to follow some of the advice threads above:

1. Ride five days a week M-F.
2. MWF ride 2x45 minutes steady slow rides
3. T/Th ride 40 minutes steady slow and that evening ride Spin Class high intensity for 50 minutes
4. Write out a two week menu plan with everything accounted for and a 2000-2200 calorie a day limit

Note: my metabolic test says I burn 200 calories an hour exercising so I will burning off 600 calories a day thus.subtracting this I should be between 1400/1600 a day. The big fight as always the weekend.

Couple years ago following a more aggressive plan with 4 hours rides on MWF, 1600 calories a day and then broke into 5 hour MWF, 2000 calories a day and recording all calories staying below 2400 calories I went from 305 to 255, but then life happened. Now my body is telling me it's time to choose life and change or no change and consequences. It's nice to be active in your late 60s, but so many others of same age man are just shuffling along.

So wish me well.
Old 02-02-19, 04:55 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
If I tried to limit myself to 2000-2200 calories a day with my current mileage load, I’m pretty sure I would die. But then again, I average about 600kcal/hr on the bike, and ride 2+ hours per day.
Old 02-02-19, 05:17 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Sounds like a plan. ^^ But don't forget to give yourself a cheat day, or at least a cheat meal once a week. You want to improve your physical health, but not at the cost of your mental health. Good luck.
Old 02-03-19, 12:34 AM
since6

Bikes: Stevenson Custom, Stevenson Custom Tandem, Nishiki Professional

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 128 Posts
KraneXL that's the hard nut, weekends. During the week, the routine of exercise, planned menu just works, but weekends are the "food as social reward/enjoyment" next thing you know you've had a 1,000 calorie breakfast and a 1,000 calorie dinner, then throw in Pizza with the grand children....but then that's why this is a learn as we go, First get a program going, then a habit, then it becomes the new comfort.

I'll never forget coming home after going to school in the Netherlands for a year and coming home to take my fist sip of "Olympia" beer, once considered a premium beer, now gone, and wondering who replaced the beer with colored water, after drinking Dutch and European beers for a year. It's always that fist six weeks to change a habit and then tastes get easier. Such is the plan and hope, but yes have to plan the date night dinner with my wife/tandem stoker. Also be kind and keep going.
Old 02-03-19, 06:01 AM
YankeeRider

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts
I have seen some evidence in the medical literature that aerobic exercise is more effective for weight loss than moderate intensity exercise,which suggests that a short fast ride, or intervals of high intensity "sprints" alternating with more relaxed spinning will be more effective for weight loss than a longer steady state ride at moderate intensity. One thing to watch out for is if you have any issues with knees and hips, they're better off with the lower peak forces of that smooth steady-state cruising.
Old 02-04-19, 04:30 PM
carlmel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think Clyde1820 makes some really good points.
It is true that physics is a real thing.
However it is also true that we live in a human body and if you only measure energy output, that ignores things such as how different exercises affect our hormones differently. Hormones tell our body how to respond to what is happening.
If one exercise plan increases testosterone and decreases cortisol compared to another exercise that had the same 'physics' output, there will still be a difference in body fat between the two exercises.