Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Hello from San Diego, California

Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-19, 07:59 AM
MarkEmondaSL7

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Native of New Orleans, Louisiana and recent California resident after many memorable years in Japan and SE Asia. Retired Navy veteran.
Other than CYCLING, interests include watching F1 and LeMans endurance racing; all things 911-maybe one day; traveling when my schedule allows; listening to jazz and reggae giants; and eating delicious Asian cuisine-Thai and Japanese especially.

Road:Trek Emonda SL7disc: 500 series carbon, Di2 Ultegra group; 11-28 cassette, disc brakes and Bontrager Aeolus Pro 3 carbon wheel set. My last road bike.
Commute: Specialized Sirrus Sport: Aluminum frame; carbon forks; disc brakes.
Previous: Cannondale CAAD3 Ultegra-built myself from new and used parts; Cervelo P3- dreams of Kona and IMH faded; Gitane Super Challenge- Greg Lemond fan since 84.

San Diego Bike Club (SDBC) member riding Saturdays with the "C"s and aiming to make the jump to "B"s this summer.
A new Cycleops H2 trainer just made it self present due to the never ending Seattle-like weather we've been experiencing. Joining Zwift soon
Hope to meet fellow club riders and share life's lessons. Thanks for reading if you made it this far.
Let's share ride on Zwift - MarkEmondaSL7
Old 03-09-19, 09:15 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3089 Post(s)
Liked 6,590 Times in 3,780 Posts
Welcome to Bike Forums MESL7!
Old 03-09-19, 10:40 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2632 Post(s)
Liked 3,147 Times in 1,656 Posts
Welcome Mark!

San Diego native here, and listener of the Jazz Giants (as my user name suggests). I am also a SDBC rider (A) and will be racing the category 2/3 race at the Tour de Murrieta this afternoon. We will have 6 strong riders and be a force in the race! Feel free to reach out if you have any questions about cycling or San Diego.
Old 03-09-19, 02:43 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,644 Times in 826 Posts
Mark, thank you very much for your service! Welcome to the forum. I am hanging my hat in NOLA right now. Would much rather be in sunny Socal.
Old 03-10-19, 11:11 AM
MarkEmondaSL7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
Welcome Mark!

San Diego native here, and listener of the Jazz Giants (as my user name suggests). I am also a SDBC rider (A) and will be racing the category 2/3 race at the Tour de Murrieta this afternoon. We will have 6 strong riders and be a force in the race! Feel free to reach out if you have any questions about cycling or San Diego.
Thanks TMonk... rode yesterday with D1...all this rain coupled with little league baseball has put quite a dent in my fitness..
assembled the smart trainer last night... rebuilding base in my immediate future...felt comfortable with Cs last fall before Thanksgiving...
what's the leap to "B"s like?
Old 03-10-19, 01:01 PM
ioulia

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome to the forums Mark!
Old 03-10-19, 03:02 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2632 Post(s)
Liked 3,147 Times in 1,656 Posts
Originally Posted by MarkEmondaSL7
Thanks TMonk... rode yesterday with D1...all this rain coupled with little league baseball has put quite a dent in my fitness..
assembled the smart trainer last night... rebuilding base in my immediate future...felt comfortable with Cs last fall before Thanksgiving...
what's the leap to "B"s like?
I'm not sure as I was competitive and fit when I moved back home from college (in 2010). I've more or less kept it up. Riding very well right now!

The rain has made it difficult to ride. Good luck with the little league and indoor training, it comes back after a few weeks at it.
Old 03-10-19, 05:56 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,464 Posts
Welcome Mark. By any chance did you ever live in the DC area while with the Navy?
Old 03-10-19, 09:15 PM
MarkEmondaSL7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by StanSeven
Welcome Mark. By any chance did you ever live in the DC area while with the Navy?
I've never lived in the DC or Maryland/ VA area... driven through a couple of times..on my way to duty stations in Groton,CT and Philadelphia, PA .
Old 03-11-19, 09:25 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,464 Posts
I've never lived in the DC or Maryland/ VA area... driven through a couple of times..on my way to duty stations in Groton,CT and Philadelphia, PA .
Its funny that a Navy guy that had a Trek and Cervelo tri bike rode with my old No Va group occasionally. His name was also Mark and loved 911s too. He transferred to San Diego. Big coincidence.

Old 03-13-19, 06:08 AM
MarkEmondaSL7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Mark, thank you very much for your service! Welcome to the forum. I am hanging my hat in NOLA right now. Would much rather be in sunny Socal.
Thanks Paul- NOLA was home during the informative years..food, drink, nightlife and live music....all my family still live in the Region..
Have you ridden the Jeff Davis? loop around THE LAKE?... I've seen some levees are now paved as bike paths too.
How was Mardi Gras this year?
Old 03-13-19, 06:09 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,644 Times in 826 Posts
Thanks Paul- NOLA was home during the informative years..food, drink, nightlife and live music....all my family still live in the Region..
Have you ridden the Jeff Davis? loop around THE LAKE?... I've seen some levees are now paved as bike paths too.
How was Mardi Gras this year?
I evacuate the city for Mardi Gras! I am not sure what you are calling Jeff Davis. I have ridden the path there as a connector. If you are talking about the 100+ mile loop around the Lake, I have not done that one. The river levee is paved from the Zoo all the way beyond the Bonnet Carre Spillway. There is talk of paving it all the way to Baton Rouge. There is a path along most of the south shore of the Lake too. That's where I spend most of my time riding. I have a few weekend routes that I'll ride early on weekend mornings. I have the roads almost all to myself. The route I do most often I have nicknamed the Texas Loop. I'll let you guess why.

https://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/659079222
Old 05-25-19, 10:37 PM
alanalanbobalan

Bikes: Ridley Fenix, 1986 Trek 400

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
Hi Mark, are you planning to do the Memorial Day Ride on Monday?
Old 05-26-19, 10:14 PM
MarkEmondaSL7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alanalanbobalan
Hi Mark, are you planning to do the Memorial Day Ride on Monday?
Yes- If we have our typical sunny and clear weather return...
I've been tricked by both a New Year's day and a 4th of July group ride that
was NOT HOLIDAY pace...so we'll see what tomorrow brings..

do you have experience with this advertised route: UCC to MT.
Solodad via Rose Canyon and then south to Pt. Loma?

I'll be on a triple black Trek Emonda SL7 ..Di2; disc brakes and carbon wheels..white helmet and Trek blk/acid green kit.
Regards-
Mark
Old 05-27-19, 04:57 AM
alanalanbobalan

Bikes: Ridley Fenix, 1986 Trek 400

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
I did the ride a couple years ago and aside from the climbs people weren't going that hard. I think it really depends on who is leading the ride.

It goes up Mt Soledad via the Soledad Mountain Rd approach, if you haven't done it before it's about 3.4 miles, most of it isn't too bad of a gradient (5% or less) with a few short sections that are 8-10%. Most of the rest of the ride was pretty flat from what I remember. There is one climb somewhere in Point Loma but I don't really remember the details, less than a mile but pretty steep. We didn't actually go into Cabrillo, we just stopped at the gate and turned around, then stopped somewhere in OB for coffee on the way back.

I am still jet-lagged after returning from Taiwan and Japan on Friday (which is why I'm posting at 3:50 am) so if I am feeling terrible I may not make it. If I do I'll probably be trying out my "new" (old) green steel Trek bike with Campagnolo Centaur components. I'll have a Swami's bib and probably a light blue Rapha jersey with a red/green/white Giro helmet.
Old 05-27-19, 06:09 AM
MarkEmondaSL7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
Welcome Mark!

Thanks TMonk for your note- apologize for the delayed response.... SDBC has a Masters (+45) team , right?...Do they ride CAT5/4 races or is that it's own separate division?
... curious about road racing, not too interested in crits and time trials.. Thanks!