Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

7 minutes to work

Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

7 minutes to work

Old 08-24-19, 01:56 PM
drobotnik

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
7 minutes to work

I used to be a general contractor with a 10mpg heavy duty truck. That dragged me into the pits and I decided to close my business and work in the public sector. Moved to Nashville, found an affordable apartment a few blocks from work, and the other morning I timed my bike commute from door to door: 00:07:29.39. If I drove to work it would take 20 minutes at least door to door because of the parking garage and walking halfway across campus. I can even walk to work faster than driving. It’s crazy how inefficient cars are over short distances, and even crazier that my coworkers live so far away and justify it with lower priced housing. They buy 2 tanks of gas a week, sit in traffic for 3 hours a day, and seem absolutely worn out all the time.
Old 08-24-19, 03:01 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 315 Times in 210 Posts
Originally Posted by drobotnik
I used to be a general contractor with a 10mpg heavy duty truck. That dragged me into the pits and I decided to close my business and work in the public sector. Moved to Nashville, found an affordable apartment a few blocks from work, and the other morning I timed my bike commute from door to door: 00:07:29.39. If I drove to work it would take 20 minutes at least door to door because of the parking garage and walking halfway across campus. I can even walk to work faster than driving. It’s crazy how inefficient cars are over short distances, and even crazier that my coworkers live so far away and justify it with lower priced housing. They buy 2 tanks of gas a week, sit in traffic for 3 hours a day, and seem absolutely worn out all the time.
No joke! I live in an old city (New Orleans) with a relatively small footprint but even so, traffic at rush hour is always a ratfu**. I can get nearly anywhere in 20-30 minutes by bike at any hour. I recently got a new job with a commute of about 7 minutes as well. My old commute took me all the way downtown (4.5 miles) and my record time was 13 minutes. Now I can walk to work in 20 minutes. My walk would be through a college campus and city park. I work in the park now. Super sweet setup. Even during miserable weather its ONLY SEVEN MINUTES! I believe I could bike that distance set on fire.

Good for you man! Thanks for sharing. Always nice to hear about someone figuring that out and actually doing something about it.
Old 08-24-19, 03:13 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by drobotnik
Some times its an aesthetic choice, but oftentimes is out of necessity. New York and San Francisco come to mind.

Last edited by KraneXL; 08-25-19 at 05:38 PM.
Old 08-25-19, 05:26 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 315 Times in 210 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
Some times its an aesthetic choice, but oftentimes is out of necessity. New Youk and San Francisco come to mind.
Yes, many many people live on the northshore of our lake and commute to the city. So they drive a couple miles, or much more to get to the Causeway Bridge which is 24 miles long, then 5-10 miles to the city, then parking, then trekking from the car to the job. Many spend 2 or more hours every day in a car PLUS the time they work. All to live in a rural bedroom community. But this is their choice. So much life wasted.
Old 08-25-19, 05:51 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Yep...sounds about like my last commute!

I always got a kick out of "racing" my friends who were driving to destinations within a mile or two. The bike was usually a winner.
Old 08-25-19, 08:34 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
Yes, many many people live on the northshore of our lake and commute to the city. So they drive a couple miles, or much more to get to the Causeway Bridge which is 24 miles long, then 5-10 miles to the city, then parking, then trekking from the car to the job. Many spend 2 or more hours every day in a car PLUS the time they work. All to live in a rural bedroom community. But this is their choice. So much life wasted.
Actually, I was inferring just the opposite due to location vs living costs.