Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Oslo: The Journey to Car Free

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Oslo: The Journey to Car Free

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-17, 03:35 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Mobile 155
I couldn't say for sure and my guess would be no better than any other guess. It seems as if to many the high cost of housing for anything close to a turn key, plus the desire to live where the action is, pushed the budget to the top. The complications to owning and operating a car would only lower the amount of home or living area they were interested in. The only exception to the trends that I could see were ones that had families that were more interested in ocean access, mountain views and had older children that would enjoy such things. Still they represent the minority. I think the other thing is the attempt to maintain a expat standard of living in countries that may not pay the same size salaries for the jobs the families are used to doing. The nice part is the program normally goes back to see how the family or couple are adapting. The most successful moves seem to be corporate transfers and then location is the number one consideration and they will push the housing budget to get closer to work so driving simply isn't important. But as I said that is a wild guess.
It does tend to suggest (to me, at least) that there might be more of a latent demand for old-world-style car-free city living in North America than we realize, that isn't being met because our cities don't accommodate it. Obviously this only applies to a portion of the population, but perhaps a larger chunk than we think. The fact that so many ex-pat North Americans can so easily transition into the Barcelona or Amsterdam way of life, means that we might see more of it here, if we build for it.

Last edited by cooker; 06-29-17 at 03:41 PM.
Old 06-29-17, 07:00 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by cooker
It does tend to suggest (to me, at least) that there might be more of a latent demand for old-world-style car-free city living in North America than we realize, that isn't being met because our cities don't accommodate it. Obviously this only applies to a portion of the population, but perhaps a larger chunk than we think. The fact that so many ex-pat North Americans can so easily transition into the Barcelona or Amsterdam way of life, means that we might see more of it here, if we build for it.
I am pretty sure our laws would preclude Barcelona style building. Super narrow streets that a fire truck would never get down will never pass muster with safety concerns here. Here is a series of streets people look for housing in Barcelona. Only in an amusement park will we see streets like that.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Pict...QPhYJlNn1o_dM:

Last edited by Mobile 155; 06-29-17 at 07:05 PM.
Old 06-29-17, 07:13 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
Do you think the producers select for that, or is it a trend that is a lot more popular in foreign cities than in domestic ones?
I don't think it's a trend as much as a reality of life. Larger foreign cities tend to have better mass transit and using mass transit is therefore more of a cultural norm. In the US, people in NYC want to be near mass transit. But outside of some areas of a few other large cities, most places in the US don't have the same level of transit options and are set up for automobiles.
Old 06-29-17, 08:56 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
The beckoning call of life in a Medieval city... with narrow winding streets, ah yezzzz! Now those were the days... when folks attended church down the street and slept at night encircled by walls to help defend against marauders.
Old 06-29-17, 09:16 PM
McBTC

Clearly-- more cars is not the answer... in India. But, you probably wouldn't want to ride a bike there either.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image532.jpg (56.7 KB, 66 views)
Old 06-29-17, 09:36 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

I am pretty sure our laws would preclude Barcelona style building. Super narrow streets that a fire truck would never get down will never pass muster with safety concerns here.
I think we could probably adapt it to fit North American firetrucks. And you'd be a lot closer to the firehall!

Plus I think it is pretty likely Barcelona has a contingency plan for those historic streets.
Old 06-29-17, 09:43 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Originally Posted by jon c.
I don't think it's a trend as much as a reality of life. Larger foreign cities tend to have better mass transit and using mass transit is therefore more of a cultural norm. In the US, people in NYC want to be near mass transit. But outside of some areas of a few other large cities, most places in the US don't have the same level of transit options and are set up for automobiles.
But why? Especially if Americans relocating abroad are happy to adapt to that European lifestyle? Why don't they bring those ideas home?
Old 06-29-17, 10:07 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,534 Times in 1,044 Posts
But why? Especially if Americans relocating abroad are happy to adapt to that European lifestyle? Why don't they bring those ideas home?
For the same reason that Europeans and other foreigners relocating to "America" adapt to the "American" lifestyle and don't bring those ideas home.

Of course there are exceptions to every rule, just as there some people who can't seem to adjust at all no matter where they live and prefer to live in a dreamworld of their own making that is more to their liking.
Old 06-29-17, 10:15 PM
Mobile 155

If you would like another guess. Here you have to sell the idea to the voter. The plans have to get past the government and it is not something 9 out of 10 people are interested in. We tend to build for the majority and fund accordenly. It isn't a build and they will come proposition.

It has been long held practice to tear down and upgrade buildings like they have in Barcelona. No way will you see modern American cities with doorways that walk out onto the street. We might as individuals find that charming but building codes and road standards will not permit it. My guess anyway.
Old 06-30-17, 06:18 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

If you would like another guess. Here you have to sell the idea to the voter. The plans have to get past the government and it is not something 9 out of 10 people are interested in. We tend to build for the majority and fund accordenly. It isn't a build and they will come proposition.

It has been long held practice to tear down and upgrade buildings like they have in Barcelona. No way will you see modern American cities with doorways that walk out onto the street. We might as individuals find that charming but building codes and road standards will not permit it. My guess anyway.
Okay, so partly there are systemic and regulatory barriers. Anyway I am not suggesting exactly duplicating the precise architecture - more the lifestyle of living in a vibrant walkable community eg. with mixed usage and some pedestrian-only streets and good public transit. I think in the few places where we do build it, they do come, so I hope we see more of it. Of course only for people who want it, but I suspect more do than seems apparent.
Old 06-30-17, 07:38 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
For the same reason that Europeans and other foreigners relocating to "America" adapt to the "American" lifestyle and don't bring those ideas home.

Of course there are exceptions to every rule, just as there some people who can't seem to adjust at all no matter where they live and prefer to live in a dreamworld of their own making that is more to their liking.
You're an exception to the rule, in that you cycle more and drive less than the majority of folks in your community. Do you think that was at all inspired, or at least reinforced, by all the time you spent living in Europe, or perhaps by immigrant parents if you had them, because that is more the norm over there compared to here?
Old 06-30-17, 08:15 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

You're an exception to the rule, in that you cycle more and drive less than the majority of folks in your community. Do you think that was at all inspired, or at least reinforced, by all the time you spent living in Europe, or perhaps by immigrant parents if you had them, because that is more the norm over there compared to here?
I was bicycle commuting for 15 years before moving to live in Germany. I bicycle commuted while living 10 years in Germany. I bicycle commuted upon my return to living in the U.S. Neither of my parents ever rode a bicycle for one minute in their lifetime.

BTW, bicycling for routine transportation purposes to include shopping or commuting is the exception to the rule everywhere in the U.S. and almost everywhere else in first world countries. Especially doing so if not forced to by economic circumstances.
Old 06-30-17, 09:54 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
BTW, bicycling for routine transportation purposes to include shopping or commuting is the exception to the rule everywhere in the U.S. and almost everywhere else in first world countries. Especially doing so if not forced to by economic circumstances.
Really??!

Last edited by cooker; 06-30-17 at 10:57 AM.
Old 06-30-17, 10:23 AM
McBTC

Interestingly, "Wealthier people in the U.S. are far more likely to own a bicycle than their less well-off brethren (71% and 38%, respectively)." You would think a lot of folks in India would commute by bike but it's only about a percent. <5% of Indians even own a bike...

(e.g., see:Car, bike or motorcycle? Depends on where you live | Pew Research Center )
Old 06-30-17, 10:28 AM
McBTC

If you have no place to be and you're in no hurry to get there, you don't need a car. Fact: Jack!
Old 06-30-17, 10:56 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Originally Posted by McBTC
Interestingly, "Wealthier people in the U.S. are far more likely to own a bicycle than their less well-off brethren (71% and 38%, respectively)." You would think a lot of folks in India would commute by bike but it's only about a percent. <5% of Indians even own a bike...

(e.g., see:Car, bike or motorcycle? Depends on where you live | Pew Research Center )
Those wealthy Americans mostly think or them as toys, as you do, rather than useful.
Old 06-30-17, 11:25 AM
McBTC

Those wealthy Americans mostly think or them as toys, as you do, rather than useful.
... and, apparently as do most of the 38% of the so called, "less well-off brethren" of the... more well-off?
Old 06-30-17, 11:38 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Originally Posted by McBTC
And only 6% of Indian households have a car. Presumably they are getting to work somehow - how do you suppose they do it?
Old 06-30-17, 12:38 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Really??!

Really!!
Old 06-30-17, 01:19 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
And only 6% of Indian households have a car. Presumably they are getting to work somehow - how do you suppose they do it ?

Like this...

Old 06-30-17, 03:23 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Originally Posted by wolfchild
Like this...

Aha, they do have bikes! Looks like they're way ahead of Oslo in terms of car-free transportation. Obviously it needs to be upgraded, but given how crowded the country is, I hope they learn the lessons the Dutch and Danish and Chinese and so on are learning, and focus their modernization efforts on mass transit, cycling and walking.
Old 06-30-17, 03:55 PM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts
Your personal lifestyle may well be sustainable, and of course you are free to live it, but for many rural residents it's an illusion that country living is somehow greener than city living. They occupy more space, drive more, need more energy for home heating and other uses, it takes more energy to deliver mail and parcels to them, their malls and mall parking lots take up more space, and in those and many other ways, they strain nature in general far more than if the same number of people lived in a fairly compact neighbourhood; and most of them eat food produced some distance away by somebody else, just like city people.
Some of what you described is rural, and some isn't. Where I live a lot of people live close together, and I do not live in the city.
Much of the food can be obtained from local growers in the Burbs, as well as the City.
Rural to me is remote. There ain't gonna be mall parking lots.
Do you know anybody that lives off of the grid?
Old 06-30-17, 04:06 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Originally Posted by StarBiker
Some of what you described is rural, and some isn't. Where I live a lot of people live close together, and I do not live in the city.
Much of the food can be obtained from local growers in the Burbs, as well as the City.
Rural to me is remote. There ain't gonna be mall parking lots.
Do you know anybody that lives off of the grid?
Of course there is a lot of variability. I was just trying to address the popular false meme that cities are somehow a special burden on the surrounding countryside, and city folk owe some kind of debt to rural residents. People are a burden on the countryside, they can be just as big or even bigger a burden if they live in a rural area.
Old 06-30-17, 04:46 PM
Mobile 155

Aha, they do have bikes! Looks like they're way ahead of Oslo in terms of car-free transportation. Obviously it needs to be upgraded, but given how crowded the country is, I hope they learn the lessons the Dutch and Danish and Chinese and so on are learning, and focus their modernization efforts on mass transit, cycling and walking.

I often wonder how much of that is wishful thinking and how much is predictive. Here is what Forbes thinks about China and the direction they are going.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jackper.../#47622b985389
and Forbes on India: Indian automotive industry: The road ahead | Forbes India Blog

China could easily double car sales making it twice as big as the US market numerically.

What I have noticed is the US has a lifestyle that is imitated far more often that other countries. I have to smile at all of the T-shirts in China, India and even Japan and Africa that have American Logos and advertisements on them even in English. There are exceptions but it is still an interesting observation.
Old 06-30-17, 05:45 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts

They are also car-free by necessity and not because they want to be...When those people in India come over to North America or Europe their bus surfing and train surfing days are over and they buy a car as soon as they can afford one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.